• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Could Become Less Relevant If It Doesn't Thrive In Mobile, Phil Spencer Says

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We already know Phil's and Xbox's true plans ... it is mobile gaming.

Phil even talked about scrapping the current Xbox division and just erecting a new mobile gaming company with Microsoft leaders in internal leaked emails.

THIS! People need to pay attention to EVERYTHING Phil says. Not just half. He's telegraphing Xbox's next moves within the next 3-5 years based on how things go. People, please LISTEN and READ. Phil is being open and honest about his direction if you pay a little bit of attention.

reinking

Gold Member
Phil says a lot of :lollipop_poop:. I agree mobile is a big deal but it is no more Xbox's future than Google and Amazon are their biggest competitors.

Iced Arcade

They own candy crush and COD mobile. They will have trucks of cash dumping daily in Redmond lol

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

When is this fucking guy going to stop chasing trends and just release some damn good games?

His failings are biblical at this point. It’s almost sad to watch.
DhGa4gn.gif

We should think about a dedicated forum named "Phil Spencer Says" 😹

/s Please no.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Xbox is a console Phil. What's mobile got to do with it. Consoles thrive by delivering CONTENT on a consistent basis. Surely you can do that now with the 50 first party studios?
Exactly this. Nintendo has thrived and survived by producing quality content without the need or want from major 3rd parties for many years! Why Microsoft or any of these guys NEED mobile is beyond me.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Sad times when you've got to resort to stanning for candy crush.

From Halo to Candy Crush, what a turn of events.
In Candy Crush's defence, it didn't have a shite developer for the last decade dismantling the power of the IP.

Sorcerer

Can't wait for the Starfield Jewel match game on my phone!!!

See all those Planets in the distance? You can match 3 of them together and cause explosions, making them disappear!!!

Last edited:

bitbydeath

There is literally no quote which says "Xbox could become less relevant if it doesn't thrive in mobile" It's just not there 😆

This is the quote "if you're going to continue to be relevant in gaming at a global scale, you're going to have to find a way to be relevant on the largest platform, which is mobile," This is literally a sweeping statement about gaming in general, no mention of Xbox which is separate to that. I was referring to you being wrong with everything you said there and again here.

I'm alright thanks buddy 🤣 Talk about having a high opinion of yourself 😄
Yeah, I’m a goddamn rockstar in my mind.

James Franco Flirt GIF

Always up for a chat if you need it mate.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
“I’ve long admired the work of Activision, Blizzard, and King, and the impact they’ve had on gaming, entertainment, and pop culture. Whether it was late nights spent playing the Diablo IV campaign with friends from start to finish, gathering the entire family in the rec room for our weekly Guitar Heronight, or going on an epic streak in Candy Crush, some of my most memorable gaming moments came from experiences their studios have created. It is incredible to welcome such legendary teams to Xbox.“

Funny GIF

“I’ve long admired the work of Activision, Blizzard, and King, and the impact they’ve had on gaming, entertainment, and pop culture. Whether it was late nights spent playing the Diablo IV campaign with friends from start to finish, gathering the entire family in the rec room for our weekly Guitar Heronight, or going on an epic streak in Candy Crush, some of my most memorable gaming moments came from experiences their studios have created. It is incredible to welcome such legendary teams to Xbox.“

Funny GIF
Can't wait until I see the usual suspects pretend they always loved candy crush on gaf :messenger_tears_of_joy:

elmos-acc

Why is Phil constantly doing interviews? It seems like he is doing interviews, podcasts etc. like twice a week. And I am not exaggerating much. Or do people just make too many threads here?

I would assume that being a CEO of a multi-billion dollar gaming division means that engaging in PR all the time should not be the top priority.

1. Did you read the article? Because I didn't write anything original except Source:

2. Did you read the article? I quoted Phil Spencer from the article.

3. Did you read the article?
Of course, he never said what the title you wrote suggests. It's worded quite different from what you wrote.

DryvBy

Of course, he never said what the title you wrote suggests. It's worded quite different from what you wrote.

I feel bad for your reading abilities. You keep implying I wrote the headline. I don't even know if you read what I just wrote.

Go here: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/x...ive-in-mobile-phil-spencer-says/1100-6518473/

What's the headline say? Now who wrote that headline and "made it up"?

Now, let's use some context. Phil Spencer quoted here

"I am really looking forward to learning on mobile. The truth of the matter is, if you're going to continue to be relevant in gaming at a global scale, you're going to have to find a way to be relevant on the largest platform, which is mobile," Spencer said.

What do you think he's saying? Could it be the headline is indirectly quoting his message when he says that if you want to stay relevant, you need mobile. So let's say you don't find a way to thrive in mobile. Is he saying you're then irrelevant?

Did you go to a really bad public school or something? This isn't at all complex reading material.

I feel bad for your reading abilities. You keep implying I wrote the headline. I don't even know if you read what I just wrote.

Go here: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/x...ive-in-mobile-phil-spencer-says/1100-6518473/

What's the headline say? Now who wrote that headline and "made it up"?

Now, let's use some context. Phil Spencer quoted here

What do you think he's saying? Could it be the headline is indirectly quoting his message when he says that if you want to stay relevant, you need mobile. So let's say you don't find a way to thrive in mobile. Is he saying you're then irrelevant?

Did you go to a really bad public school or something? This isn't at all complex reading material.
The article is click bait mate, you've literally quoted Spencer, he's talking about the gaming business in general. Never does he even mention Xbox. I've forgotten more than you'll ever know you ignoramus.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why is a boss of a corperation spilling the beens with comments like this, when this kind of comunication should be left for the board rooms or internal emails?
He is preparing the toxic fanboys/influencers for the upcoming seismic shift in strategy -- from big AAA console games to mobile gaming.

So when Xbox ignores AAA console games and shifts most of their resources to mobile gaming, they can say, "well, yeah, that was always the plan. Did you not hear Phil mentioning it in that interview?!" instead of revolting against the idea.

Jemm

I don't see how this is different when compared to Sony, who bought Savage Game Studios last year,for example.

Both are just expanding mobile game offerings, which has the most players.

I don't take it as a sign that either of them is reducing console offerings. In fact, the profits from mobile can be used to support other investments.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't see how this is different when compared to Sony, who bought Savage Game Studios last year,for example.

Both are just expanding mobile game offerings, which has the most players.

I don't take it as a sign that either of them is reducing console offerings. In fact, the profits from mobile can be used to support other investments.
Sony is adding with GaaS and mobile. Their core business model remains the same, and so do their single-player AAA console games. In fact, Sony has been very popular in mobile for a long, long time now. The fact that so many of us are unaware of their mobile success is a testament to their belief and investment in the traditional console gaming model.

On the other hand, we know from Microsoft's leaked internal conversations that they are planning to replace the current console gaming model with mobile gaming.

That's why the two scenarios are different.

the_master

Exactly this. Nintendo has thrived and survived by producing quality content without the need or want from major 3rd parties for many years! Why Microsoft or any of these guys NEED mobile is beyond me.
Nintendo survived by making the scammiest worst console ever released.
The Wii
At a time of crysis, where most people thought Nintendo would die on the next gen. They pulled the largest scam ever in gaming. “Project Revolution”, “A new way to play”, “forever change videogames”
It was a last gen console with a maraca and pointer controller.
They made billions, and forever stayed one gen behind.
At least they went back to making great games and the shovelware craze moved from consoles to mobile.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Sony is adding with GaaS and mobile. Their core business model remains the same, and so do their single-player AAA console games. In fact, Sony has been very popular in mobile for a long, long time now. The fact that so many of us are unaware of their mobile success is a testament to their belief and investment in the traditional console gaming model.

On the other hand, we know from Microsoft's leaked internal conversations that they are planning to replace the current console gaming model with mobile gaming.

That's why the two scenarios are different.
"Sony has been very popular in mobilesfhgnkfngifhgkqn;faeihb'aijfklagaefga.....LMAO!

This will be the lowest selling Xbox hardware since the OG Xbox. If there is a next generation Xbox it has a very good chance of selling less than the OG Xbox.

I believe the XS will end up around 35 million units. But there is a very real possibility it will fall off around 30 million.

This holiday season is going to tell us a lot about the rest of the cycle. Sony has a new sku, what could be a top 3 selling game for the remainder of the year between CoD and Super Mario. It's certainly going to be a big seller.

"Sony has been very popular in mobilesfhgnkfngifhgkqn;faeihb'aijfklagaefga.....LMAO!

Your response is accurate, but only if you exclude Fate/Stay which is one of the most popular mobile games in the world. It's made by Lasengle and published by Aniplex. Aniplex also bought Lasengle.

The key thing to remember here is that Aniplex doesn't roll up into SIE. It rolls up into Sony Music Entertainment, but that could change at any moment.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
2019, 4 years ago:

https://sensortower.com/blog/fate-grand-order-revenue-3-billion

Top Bottom