• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox bill refunded after teen racks up $8K in charges

Petrae

Give me a fucking break. If my son had bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff at Target without my knowledge on my CC, they would process a return without any hassle and no need for all this sanctimonious bullshit from people on the Internet. He doesn't get to keep this for free, why is MS processing a return somehow a sign of a terrible generation of kids? And since when is consumer rights equal to "whining"?

Did he open or use any of the goods, in this hypothetical case? If so, the opened/used goods aren't always returnable. In the case of the foolish 17 year-old here, he bought (and opened) packs of virtual trading cards. In a retail situtation, if someone buys packs of cards, opens them, and wants to return them... said person is shit out of luck, regardless of tender. The person would be redirected to the credit card company if that was the payment method-- as was initially the case in this real-life situation-- and the credit card company would most likely maintain that the cardholder is responsible for the charges.

It's not the refund that I necessarily am questioning here. It's the lack of consequences for the 17 year-old. At the very least, the kid's XBL account should be wiped out and his console should be banned from online play-- if only to protect the kid from making similar "mistakes" in the near term.

You need to go through several confirmations screens with the price very clearly stated AND you have to confirm the payment method. There was no mistakes, no minefield, careless spending. Just a stupid ass kid being a idiot knowing fully well what he was doing.

You're saying it yourself, a stupid ass kid doing something wrong. When a bill like that happens, for someone who hasn't spent that before, it's not normal. Microsoft should react, EA should react, or it simply shouldn't be possible at all.

Silvawuff

I would have made the teen work it off, or at least contribute to the bill until it was paid off. If it was a 7-year-old, this outcome would make more sense. 17 has no excuse.

Completely a PR move my MS, made when the initial news item died off.

Honestly, the father should have been more proactive about securing his details and the teenager has no self control and reasonably should have known better. Was it the right move for moral and business reasons? Yeah. Did this legally need to occur? Not at all.

Top Bottom