• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Raw Ratings: Viewership Hits Record Low

MavFan619

Banned
people waking up to the fact that wrestling is garbage. about time
It's not though, the in ring ability now is as good as it's ever been. Also WWE isn't all of wrestling and a lot of guys they have signed are fantastic they have a great roster of guys. If you put those guys in a different context less of a show where they come off as actors and more like athletes, I think it could make for better tv.

El Topo

WWE ratings decline is WAY more steep than the general TV decline.

Really? I was under the impression network TV in particular was down by a lot if compared to years ago, whereas wrestling kind of managed to stay steady for a long time.
(Yes, I know that USA Network is a cable company. I'm just using it as an example. USA Network has seen better days as well.)

They also try to sell themselves to TV networks as "live sports" programming (in order to get a better TV deal) and other live sports are actually UP.

Yeah, but it's not an actual sport. It's a scripted stunt soap opera.

yuraya

I really tried watching some of it last night, and it was awful.

Has Lesnar even appeared on Raw with the belt since WM (not counting the night after WM)?

Vince is an idiot for letting Lesnar just take months off with the belt like that. No one wants to watch IC belt feuds in the main event with Ambrose.

people waking up to the fact that wrestling is garbage. about time

What's annoyed me more than anything else recently is that WWE has the best roster (in terms of in ring work) they have ever had, but have a mindset that makes everyone they hire seem either useless or generic

somedevil

Really? I was under the impression network TV in particular was down by a lot if compared to years ago, whereas wrestling kind of managed to stay steady for a long time.

Yeah, but it's not an actual sport. It's a scripted stunt soap opera.

Smackdown is up:

I1Jf7PB.jpg

Plus isn't live sports ratings are down as well. NFL was down and so was NASCAR.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wrestling sucks. And then you die.

I tried goig back to watching Raw after Mania, but that one was enough to turn me right back away.

I lasted two more episodes of Smackdown, but for all the talk you guys gave about how it was good now, it just wasn't.

I even stopped watching the YouTube highlights, I think me and WWE are officially done finally.

Cagey

Banned
It's not though, the in ring ability now is as good as it's ever been. Also WWE isn't all of wrestling and a lot of guys they have signed are fantastic they have a great roster of guys. If you put those guys in a different context less of a show where they come off as actors and more like athletes, I think it could make for better tv.

What's annoyed me more than anything else recently is that WWE has the best roster (in terms of in ring work) they have ever had, but have a mindset that makes everyone they hire seem either useless or generic

Ring work has never been the primary reason that the vast majority of people watch professional wrestling.

The quality of technical wrasslin' ability beyond a certain "is this trash or not" threshold just doesn't matter beyond a small niche. It's never mattered. It never will matter.

btrboyev

I'd actually argue that in terms of in-ring talent, the active roster is maybe the deepest it's ever been. The problem is entirely behind the scenes.

The talent goes way beyond in ring ability though. I feel no one knows how to use the mic. Again maybe that goes back to behind the scenes.

Paracelsus

I am a mark, I dropped because the World Champion® on Smackdown Live fucking sucks, and the World Champion® on RAM isn't even there. If I see no champions or worse, the champions aren't draws that put asses in seats so they have to be stripped of the belt come Wressolmenia season so that part-timers come in and enjoy the payday with the gold, I am not gonna bother.

What Punk said six years ago is still true to this day.

fhqwhgads

Ain't nothing wrong with the talent. There's wrestlers who could be better and ones who needed more time in NXT, but calling the talent bad is flat out wrong. In terms of in ring quality, WWE is better than it's ever been. The only problem is every other part of the product is at rock bottom.

Terrible writing, terrible promos, terrible announcers, terrible booking, everything that isn't the wrestling itself is just an utter mess. It's almost morbid the way we're all effective wishing for Vince's death so HHH can take over and hopefully steer things in anything remotely better.

MavFan619

Banned
Ring work has never been the primary reason that the vast majority of people watch professional wrestling.

The quality of technical wrasslin' ability beyond a certain "is this trash or not" threshold just doesn't matter beyond a small niche. It's never mattered. It never will matter.
Sure but when a bunch of people keep stating things akin to the matches aren't good or the wrestlers suck etc it's just not true. And considering ring work does matter a lot more now than it has before, Ricochet vs Ospreay didn't get mentioned on ESPN because it was some riveting story or Mike Tyson was involved. I'd also argue that wrestling as a business of psychology can change what it presents to be most important so if WWE wanted to highlight how good it's talent is in ring, and sell that to people in a different way that would be accentuating a strength they have, and hide their "weakness" of not having guys as "over" as Stone Cold or the Rock.

Sephzilla

The talent goes way beyond in ring ability though. I feel no one knows how to use the mic. Again maybe that goes back to behind the scenes.

WWE is way more scripted now than it was back in the day and the talent is given less freedom than they used to have. When you actually get to see the current talent cut their own promos or act more like their natural selves they come off way better (see: all of The Miz's work on Talking Smack)

I miss wrestling from the mid 90's through early 2000's. WWF and ECW were sooooooo good. Every once in a while I'll try to get back into it.... No bueno. It's just insanely bad. I'll just relegate to watching old ppvs here and there when I get the itch.

ghostjoke

Banned
Has Otunga come back yet? If not, this isn't even its final form unless it turns into a 3 hour BRAUUUUUUUUUUUN show.

Anth0ny

Ain't nothing wrong with the talent. There's wrestlers who could be better and ones who needed more time in NXT, but calling the talent bad is flat out wrong. In terms of in ring quality, WWE is better than it's ever been. The only problem is every other part of the product is at rock bottom.

Terrible writing, terrible promos, terrible announcers, terrible booking, everything that isn't the wrestling itself is just an utter mess. It's almost morbid the way we're all effective wishing for Vince's death so HHH can take over and hopefully steer things in anything remotely better.

Not almost morbid.

It IS morbid!

paul.gif

Gurrry

last nights raw was one of the worst ive seen in awhile. a bunch of boring rehashed matches. not to mention, it being recorded before hand due to being in london did not help.

they sorely need new story lines, new takes on current characters (roman heel, dean needs to change completely, etc) and an actual fighting champion, not an invisible brock lesnar.

oh and make it 2 hours. smackdown is actually enjoyable every week. that third hour is exhausting and is usually filled with nothing but filler.

Gurrry

Sure but when a bunch of people keep stating things akin to the matches aren't good or the wrestlers suck etc it's just not true. And considering ring work does matter a lot more now than it has before, Ricochet vs Ospreay didn't get mentioned on ESPN because it was some riveting story or Mike Tyson was involved. I'd also argue that wrestling as a business of psychology can change what it presents to be most important so if WWE wanted to highlight how good it's talent is in ring, and sell that to people in a different way that would be accentuating a strength they have, and hide their "weakness" of not having guys as "over" as Stone Cold or the Rock.

this is one thing that i always am dissapointed in.

indie shows tend to have this great inring story telling between two guys who elevate eachother and put on a classic match.

with wwe, it seems like everything is so cookie cutter that you rarely get an in-ring story. aj styles is one of the few wrestlers that actually try and do things that are revolutionary.

if youre just gonna go out there and do a boring ass 10 minute tv match with the same shit weve seen for the past 5 years, then dont do it at all. come up with something awesome for fans to enjoy. nearly all of the guys and girls in wwe seem like they just go out there and do what theyre told instead of being innovative or coming up with legendary matches.

BFIB

Ever since the Alliance angle, it's been going downhill.

Last good angle that really caught the public eye was CM Punk in 2011, and they fucked that up too.

FDC1

In the past, being taped hadn't hurt the rating but it does appear that was the case here

This part is factually false. UK Raws have always done lower numbers than US live Raws.

Top Bottom