• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA's most-watched game of week finishes behind golf, NASCAR, wrestling

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The NBA's most-watched game last week didn't fare as well as the most-watched in golf, NASCAR or the WWE, but did beat out those in the MLB and NHL, according to the Nielsen ratings.

The Aug. 3 game between the Los Angeles Lakers and Utah Jazz on ESPN was the NBA's highest rated of the week, drawing 1.62 million viewers.

By comparison, the PGA Championships on CBS drew 5.15 million viewers for the week's highest-rated sports program.

The NASCAR race at Michigan International Speedway finished second (NBCSN, 2.37 million), with WWE's Friday Night Smackdown (FOX, 1.96 million) came in third.

FOX's MLB games between the Chicago Cubs and the Kansas City Royals, and Houston Astros at Arizona Diamondbacks, placed just behind the Lakers-Jazz game with an average of 1.49 million viewers.

The NHL's Philadelphia Flyers-Tampa Bay Lightning game on NBC drew 1.2 million viewers.

The NBA is still play seeding games ahead of the playoffs, with ESPN and TNT handling the national broadcasts.

Given that television viewing is typically down across the board in August (and that the NBA has never before conducted a season in August) and scheduling many of its games during weekday afternoons, the overall TV ratings are about on par with what the league expected.

Amory

Well, golf had a major championship this weekend, and WWE and NASCAR have built in audiences and only have an event or 2 a week so fans tune in more religiously.

But yeah NBA has been struggling for the past couple years and the social justice pageantry probably isn't helping. I don't think it's the main reason for lack of viewership though.

We'll see how they fare once the playoffs start

Its so boring right now, I need the playoffs to start and they couldn't even sneak Zion in the playoffs. Go Heat though. I cant wait for Heat Bucks second round.
So glad NHL playoffs started what a great start with a 5OT thriller with a Bolts win

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Lol. I know WWE's ratings have been plummeting for years and now NBA is getting even lower. That's pathetic. Never thought I'd see the day.

JLMC469

Banned
Lol. I know WWE's ratings have been plummeting for years and now NBA is getting even lower. That's pathetic. Never thought I'd see the day.

If I’m not mistaken, the NBA has seen a bump in recent years.

The current situation has (obviously)affected viewership.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Playoffs are out to begin

August 17th

I’m thankful that Adam Silver found a way around the threats of the virus, for the most part. It’s not fool proof, but they’re doing a lot of things right. For the NBA to be up and running again, that’s a perfect start

Politics and sports don’t mix. They’re there, but I it’s one or the other for me. If I’m watching ball, fuck anything political, I don’t give a fuck about anything that isn’t related to the game

But overall, I’m glad we can see these games. I bet Portland secures that 8th seed and challenges the Lakers being the 1st seed. I fully expect them to challenge the Lakers and put up a great if not memorable fight. Could potentially be a classic series matchup too. Lillard is looking in his prime

recma12

main reason is that these seeding games don't mean much, so it's just glorified pre season.
Winning home court advantage is pretty irrelevant.

That said, all that BLM crap probably doesn't help but isn't the main reason here

Phase

I can't even watch it anymore. As if the in-game commercials weren't annoying enough, the fakery and virtue signalling has just reached a tipping point. I'm probably done with watching the NBA for good if I'm honest.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
main reason is that these seeding games don't mean much, so it's just glorified pre season.
Winning home court advantage is pretty irrelevant.

That said, all that BLM crap probably doesn't help but isn't the main reason here

I would have predicted monster ratings for sports, any sports, upon return. And we did see pretty monster ratings for MMA, I think. But these ratings aren't great by themselves and in this context... I would have expected higher.

In general I have found that teams, the media, fans, etc. will instinctively try to find anything to justify ratings declines other than that which is right in front of them. I think what most of us have found since March is that we don't need sports in our lives the way we thought we did. So that's a problem (for them). But turning the NBA into an anti-white struggle session is a problem, but combined both, why would I go watch something I don't really need in order to be told how racist and evil I am nonstop? I'll just go back to doing what I was doing since March thanks.

Playoffs are out to begin

August 17th

I’m thankful that Adam Silver found a way around the threats of the virus, for the most part. It’s not fool proof, but they’re doing a lot of things right. For the NBA to be up and running again, that’s a perfect start

Politics and sports don’t mix. They’re there, but I it’s one or the other for me. If I’m watching ball, fuck anything political, I don’t give a fuck about anything that isn’t related to the game

But overall, I’m glad we can see these games. I bet Portland secures that 8th seed and challenges the Lakers being the 1st seed. I fully expect them to challenge the Lakers and put up a great if not memorable fight. Could potentially be a classic series matchup too. Lillard is looking in his prime

Are yo uwatching the NBA? Literally every frame is infused with SJW propaganda. The court. The uniforms. The shirts the coaches are wearing. The intermissions. Everything. It is impossible to get away from politics while watching NBA right now.

Last edited:

Slaylock

In the first week of action, the NBA’s ratings immediately sputtered. Rather than spiking due to an increase in hype and intrigue around the return of basketball, the numbers dipped to 14 percent below pre-COVID averages.
Last week, the games that took place from Thursday to Sunday drew smaller ratings than the same period the prior week.

I personally haven't watched a single second since the return. The players certainly have the right to express their social activism, but I have the right to not watch them.

diffusionx

Gold Member

In the first week of action, the NBA’s ratings immediately sputtered. Rather than spiking due to an increase in hype and intrigue around the return of basketball, the numbers dipped to 14 percent below pre-COVID averages.
Last week, the games that took place from Thursday to Sunday drew smaller ratings than the same period the prior week.

I personally haven't watched a single second since the return. The players certainly have the right to express their social activism, but I have the right to not watch them.

Well, you do for now, until the Kamala Harris administration monitors your TV viewing and determines your lack of viewership is racist violence and sends you to a re-education camp on Skid Row.

You'll get stabbed by a bum on the way there.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
It didn’t take long for the NFL to alienate me, and sadly it looks like the NBA is following. Oh well I like boxing and MMA and I like playing basketball more than watching.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I would have predicted monster ratings for sports, any sports, upon return. And we did see pretty monster ratings for MMA, I think. But these ratings aren't great by themselves and in this context... I would have expected higher.

In general I have found that teams, the media, fans, etc. will instinctively try to find anything to justify ratings declines other than that which is right in front of them. I think what most of us have found since March is that we don't need sports in our lives the way we thought we did. So that's a problem (for them). But turning the NBA into an anti-white struggle session is a problem, but combined both, why would I go watch something I don't really need in order to be told how racist and evil I am nonstop? I'll just go back to doing what I was doing since March thanks.

Are yo uwatching the NBA? Literally every frame is infused with SJW propaganda. The court. The uniforms. The shirts the coaches are wearing. The intermissions. Everything. It is impossible to get away from politics while watching NBA right now.
It’s all over the place but I still don’t give a fuck. It’s annoying no doubt, but I’m only concentrating on the plays and the commentary about basketball. Anything else besides that doesn’t resonate so it goes right past me

n0razi

Does Nielson ratings account for DVR? The NBA bubble schedule right now is waaaaaay too early; no one watches sports at 3PM, etc. Almost everyone I know who is watching NBA is DVRing and watching at night after work.

gatti-man

It didn’t take long for the NFL to alienate me, and sadly it looks like the NBA is following. Oh well I like boxing and MMA and I like playing basketball more than watching.
How can you be alienated by some dudes kneeling. Like when did people become so sensitive that you can’t enjoy something because of some dudes that want to say black lives matter. Like who cares? I’ll watch football till I die I don’t care if everyone out there where’s pink uniforms and dresses like cam newton. Basketball was never that big of a deal for me.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
How can you be alienated by some dudes kneeling. Like when did people become so sensitive that you can’t enjoy something because of some dudes that want to say black lives matter. Like who cares? I’ll watch football till I die I don’t care if everyone out there where’s pink uniforms and dresses like cam newton. Basketball was never that big of a deal for me.

It’s not really sensitivity, so much as not wanting to have to look at stupid, leftist tropes when I’m watching a game. And they’re also laughably hypocrites on top of that, ready to massage the balls of their Chinese masters. Fuck them. I’m alienated by men that act like bitches, and don’t personify any real values or meaning in their lives, just going with the flow. How can you not be alienated by that?

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Republicans buy sneakers too.
giphy.gif

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
We're all just waiting for the playoffs.

Sports without a crowd is just weird as fuck too.
Sports without crowds are just practice matches.
Yeah, they're playing to win, but without crowd pressure that is normally there they aren't really being tested.
That's what past sportsmen and women had to deal with to become champs.
China Flu players don't, and are therefore not champs in the same way.
To me.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
First they sold out to china, then they began kneeling for the anthem over BLM bs. They have no integrity and deserve to tank
How can an organization say on one hand ... let's play the national anthem as a mark of respect, reminder of our culture, appreciation, etc etc

And on the other. ... hey everybody, from players to officials, let's all protest while we play the anthem.

Hypocritical asslickers!

Mistake

How can an organization say on one hand ... let's play the national anthem as a mark of respect, reminder of our culture, appreciation, etc etc

And on the other. ... hey everybody, from players to officials, let's all protest while we play the anthem.

Hypocritical asslickers!
it’s not just that though. First they didn’t support free speech with the HK stuff and chose china money. A slap in the face of democracy and our country. Then they did the anthem. They gave America two middle fingers with both hands. Fuck them

Last edited:

oagboghi2

If it doesn't matter than they can choose to stand and not kneel.

Last edited:
I watched one game and it was not good basketball or TV.

Also, the digital crowd faces they are using in Orlando are creepy as fuck. It's like a bunch of Max Headrooms. The whole practice of digitally replacing fans is creepy as well.

A lot of the announcing teams aren't in the bubble and giving PBP via video, which creates a delay at times.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Devin Booker is pretty good at basketball. Hopefully the Sun's figured something out here and can take it into next year.

gatti-man

It’s not really sensitivity, so much as not wanting to have to look at stupid, leftist tropes when I’m watching a game. And they’re also laughably hypocrites on top of that, ready to massage the balls of their Chinese masters. Fuck them. I’m alienated by men that act like bitches, and don’t personify any real values or meaning in their lives, just going with the flow. How can you not be alienated by that?
So you’re incredibly sensitive and can’t handle people who think differently than you even if it lasts just seconds and isn’t part of the actual game. You realize this is America right? If you don’t like different opinions you’re going to have a rough go of it.
I also find it funny you call grown men bitches that are standing up for what they believe in while you complain about what’s on tv lol. You’re doing some hardcore projection here.

highrider

Banned
So you’re incredibly sensitive and can’t handle people who think differently than you even if it lasts just seconds and isn’t part of the actual game. You realize this is America right? If you don’t like different opinions you’re going to have a rough go of it.
I also find it funny you call grown men bitches that are standing up for what they believe in while you complain about what’s on tv lol. You’re doing some hardcore projection here.

That’s a laughable misinterpretation. I can handle it just fine but is it something I want to seek out/pay money for to be entertained, not so much.

Yeah they’re really standing up, you must be seriously washed out mentally to believe that bs, good luck with that. I’m 53 and quite successful, lived in Europe and America, but thanks for the unsolicited advice. Naturally since you don’t personify anything I want to be I’ll be rejecting it of course 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom