• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K22 Review Thread

Bullet Club

hjaSH7c.jpg

Platforms: Microsoft Windows · PlayStation 4 · PlayStation 5 · Xbox One · Xbox Series X/S

Release Date: nWo 4-Life Edition · Deluxe Edition · March 8, 2022 · Standard Edition · March 11, 2022

Developer: Visual Concepts

Publisher: 2K Sports

jf0GbYv.jpg

8gekcgu.png

Haven't wrestling games always reviewed in the 70s range?
late 90s/2000s i feel like reviewed higher. regardless of what has happened in the past, doesn't mean i can't wish for a better wrestling game today.

***edit*** the last wwe 2k game was a 39 on opencritic. i was specifically saying it looks much better than that one.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
late 90s/2000s i feel like reviewed higher. regardless of what has happened in the past, doesn't mean i can't wish for a better wrestling game today.

***edit*** the last wwe 2k game was a 39 on opencritic. i was specifically saying it looks much better than that one.
I'm not saying otherwise, it just seems in line with how they usually review with the exception of 2020.

What do you think they would have to do to make a really highly reviewed wrestling game though?

I'm not saying otherwise, it just seems in line with how they usually review with the exception of 2020.

What do you think they would have to do to make a really highly reviewed wrestling game though?
I'm sure my personal opinion likely differs from a lot. However, i would LOVE to see the original no mercy/wwe 2000/wcw nwo game mechanics resurrected. If they could start with that as a foundation, then heavily modernize and add quality of life that would make me pretty dang happy. Those games were just great. On top of that they need to stop with the yearly releases. They skipped a year after 2k20 and 2k22 proves it is much better for it. give the devs time to polish and make a great game. I don't personally need all the "my gm" stuff. Just give me game modes, lots of wrestlers, backstage brawls, fights in the crowds, and a solid story mode.

anthony2690

Banned
Been playing this a lot. It's really good compared to the previous games.

The new gameplay is actually a lot of fun, reversals work now.

Sorry if this comes across as stupid (not watched wrestling since it was wwf)

But where is the dramatic flip/roll after the stunner?! I always loved that haha

been playing a bunch.

MyGM is fun. Its a little more involved than i thought. The only real negative is the small match cards and lack of Tag or Midcard titles. And booking what in ur head seems like an awesome wrestling show, doesn't really translate to you winning. It really wants you to play a specific way.

MyFaction. I don't really understand these modes in sports games. But at least when i play them in The Show or NBA 2K you get rewarded constantly. I played a ton of this and haven't earned any new cards, packs or anything. Just a slow grind for the in-game currency. I do like all the objectives it has during matches that let you earn more. And random little stat bonuses you get. It at least has somewhat of a carrot on a stick compared to just playing exhibition or universe matches.

Gameplay. Im not sold on it. I dont think it feels like a good wrestling game for simulating actual WWE product. And looking it as an arcade wrestling game its not as good as something like All-Stars. The combos are not implemented well. As someone that enjoys fighting games. These combos are not up to the quality of smooth animations you would find in a modern fighting game. And looking back at WWE All-Stars from 2011. Those combos felt better and also allowed you to combo from grapple to grapple.

The game feels at odds with itself and what it wants to be. The movement is sped up all around. The computer largely pops right back up after big moves. And with the forced implementation of everyone having fighting game combos it leads to it feeling arcadey. But working against that the combos are very jerky and slow feeling compared to something like tekken or killer instinct. And with them also forcing you now to initiate a grab before you do any type of slam or suplex. It bogs down the fast gameplay. Its very much hurry up and wait. And just the grab animation doesn't feel very responsive. When you grab and then attempt a grapple move it does not feel satisfying. Theres no real feedback on the timing of it all.

i didn't even get into reversals. ugh

Last edited:
Got it yesterday, started creating my character last night, moving on to creating my entrance now. I always spend so much time on these things haha but so far besides that, did a quick Royal Rumble to see how it is, game is definitely heaps better with movement, crowd, graphics, liking what I see so far.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
AEW should definitely not be aiming for realism with their game, they should focus more on the Aki style wrestling games.

S0ULZB0URNE

He said their game can’t compare to this one.
“We’ll never be able to compete with the production values of WWE’s game. 2K22 is absolutely gorgeous, I’m excited to see all their bells and whistles.”

Nothing about GAMEPLAY which is supposed to be based on the AKI engine.

Hayabusa83

Banned
I am enjoying it. Still encountering some weird glitches, but I just love the presentation of the Showcase mode. Best wrestling game ever made still remains Virtual Pro Wrestling 2.

Been playing this a lot. It's really good compared to the previous games.

The new gameplay is actually a lot of fun, reversals work now.

Damn the graphics on the Hulk Hogan video look amazing IMO. I haven't played a wrestling game since my childhood, I might check this one out just to try it..in these scenes the referee moving like that is the only bad thing, everything else looks prety damn good

Last edited:

njean777

I really want to play this game, but GameStop decided to delay the shipments of course the PS5 versions of the deluxe versions in my area (or forgot to send them) and yeah I was suppose to have it yesterday. I was told I will be compensated but we shall see, if not I will return the game and then buy it on PSN. This is their screw up and they better do right by it as I paid the extra money and didn't get any of what I was promised yet.

Superkewl

Gold Member
I like the game, but it sucks how it wont let people with the series X version play multiplayer with people with the xbox one version. Luckily I bought the combo pack, so I had to run the XBX One version in backwards compat mode to play with my buddy on XBX One, but for people that dont buy the combo pack, that sucks.

Last edited:

NickFire

Some of the videos look alright. But the publisher doesn't seem all that confident in it to me. Reviews coming in late after so little gameplay shown off before launch (that I saw anyway). Something seems amiss. Will keep tabs on it though based on some of the videos.

soulbait

I have been having a lot of fun with this game. Did have it crash out at the end of a Royal Rumble match on my XSX, but overall it has been a lot of fun and a great improvement over the last one I played (2K18).

stn

Question... can I make a classic Hogan? Like, without the bandana and with the briefs instead of the pants? I'm only interested in the game if I can make all the legends accurately. Thanks!

Ezquimacore

Banned
I thought this game was going to be trash but it's actually fun as f, the graphics are great and the story mode too. Definitely the best wwe game in a while.

Kagey K

Banned
Question... can I make a classic Hogan? Like, without the bandana and with the briefs instead of the pants? I'm only interested in the game if I can make all the legends accurately. Thanks!
Yes, there is already one up in the community creations, but it should be easy enough to do yourself, with some clothing edits.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Season Pass characters have been revealed.

Banzai Pack
Release Date: April 26
  • Yokozuna
  • Umaga
  • Rikishi
  • Omos
  • Kacy Catanzaro

Most Wanted Pack

Release Date: May 17
  • Cactus Jack
  • The Boogeyman
  • Vader
  • Ilja Dragunov
  • Indi Hartwell

Stand Back Pack

Release Date: June 7

• Hurricane Helms
  • Stacy Keibler
  • A-Kid
  • Wes Lee
  • Nash Carter

Clowning Around Pack

Release Date: June 28
  • Doink the Clown
  • Ronda Rousey
  • The British Bulldog
  • Mr. T
  • Doudrop
  • Rick Boogs

The Whole Dam Pack

Release Date: July 19
  • Rob Van Dam
  • Logan Paul
  • Machine Gun Kelly
  • LA Knight
  • Xia Li
  • Commander Azeez
  • Sarray

Ristifer

I would really like to try another wrestling game, but I find myself not even close to interested in this. Maybe it's because 2k20 was a shitstorm, but I have no enthusiasm for this.

I haven't watched or played wrestling games in forever, but I tried it some this morning and this game is fun as hell. My macho man got his ass beat over and over :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kagey K

Banned
I haven't watched or played wrestling games in forever, but I tried it some this morning and this game is fun as hell. My macho man got his ass beat over and over :messenger_tears_of_joy:
2K16 was the last one I played, and I have to agree. My son and I have just been going ham on this the last couple days. Last ones I really enjoyed were DoR, Smackdown 2 and WCW/NWO Revenge.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The one reason I'm excited for WWE potentially teaming up with EA for the future games is that UFC4 plays like a fucking dream and they will probably use that games tech for the WWE game. Incredibly simplistic yet intuitive control options make it a real fun game to play.

I'm seeing some videos of this and honestly doesn't feel like I'd enjoy playing it.

Top Bottom