• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Spin 2K25 | Review Thread + OT

GpHKJzH.png

Game Information

Game Title: Top Spin 2K25

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Apr 23, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Apr 23, 2024)
  • PC (Apr 23, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Apr 23, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Apr 23, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Hangar 13

Publisher: 2K

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 77 average - 73% recommended

8FcHfE5.png

Metacritic - 78 average based on 23 Critic Reviews

qvIwXZu.png

Critic Reviews

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 6 / 10
If you enjoy over-indulgent, over-technical gameplay as opposed to genuine fun then Top Spin 2K25 is the game for you!

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 8 / 10
Hopefully, future entries will experiment more with the modes and provide a fresher experience, as this provides an incredible base to build off of with rewarding, skill-based gameplay that makes every match an enjoyable one.

Evilgamerz - Jeroen Janssen - Dutch - 7.3 / 10
It's great that the tennis genre is being revived by 2K. It seems like a new addition to the studio's already quite extensive portfolio. In terms of atmosphere and game modes, there is still some room for improvement in the coming years because besides the MyCareer mode, there is not much to do in the game and even the MyCareer is far from varied. Online it feels much the same as offline and you can of course use 2 controllers/players offline. The gameplay, however, manages to keep the game afloat and matches really feel great to play. The timing mechanism and advanced game mechanics ensure that you can make it as easy or difficult as possible, which in turn influences the level of realism. I had a great time with this new game and it seems to be the stepping stone for more and better games in this franchise every year. However, the launch of this new tennis game has not yet been a very successful one. However, do you like tennis games and are you satisfied with good gameplay? Then this is basically the best tennis game on the court.

GAMES.CH - Olaf Bleich - German - 83%
Welcome back! TopSpin 2K25 delivers superb gameplay on the court and is just as easy to get into yet challenging as ever before. The small roster of talents harms the overall impression. Same goes for the career, that feels a bit outdated at times.

Push Square - Aaron Bayne - 8 / 10
TopSpin 2K25 is a confident revival firmly worth the 13-year wait. Admittedly, it might not be for everyone, especially with its rather steep learning curve, but for us, that's what we love about the game. It inspired us to dig deep into the game's core mechanics and train our way up the ladder. We felt that competitive edge that made us want to master our playstyle and ultimately show off our MyPlayer, cosmetics and all. This is a sports game that can proudly stand alongside its 2K brethren, and one we're thrilled to see back in action.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 8 / 10
Top Spin 2K25 represents the return of a legendary series after more than ten years of painful absence. With a stellar gameplay and new features that enhance the variety of every match, this new chapter will meet the expectations of the fans.

Stevivor - Steve Wright, Matthew Bird - 7.5 / 10
“Overall I’m enjoying it,” says Matt directly. “But with sport games and, in particular, tennis games already being a bit repetitive, Hangar 13 needs to speed up progress on career mode to make it more enjoyable. There seem to be things I don’t have access to yet that will make my player better, and I don’t want to play for countless hours before I start seeing that happen.”

The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 7 / 10
While my sentiments about this title may seem overly negative, the core gameplay of TopSpin 2K25 is nothing but addictive. Seeing those timing metres land in the ‘Perfect’ zone, as you smack a winner down the line after an intense rally really gets the blood pumping. It’s practically everything else around 2K25 that stops it from being amazing. Whether it be the bland MyCAREER mode, clay-looking graphics or completely missing matchday commentary, these aspects inherently diminish the overall package.

TheSixthAxis - Nick Petrasiti - 8 / 10
TopSpin 2K25 is a great return to form and rewards those who stick with it while learning the ropes, becoming a true tennis god in the process. It's not perfect, but if you have any passing interest in tennis, this is well worth your time.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5
TopSpin 2K25 is the best 'serious' tennis game we've played since, frankly, the last one was released 13 years ago. Its characters look a bit off, its career mode is dry and the typical 2K microtransaction nonsense is in there (to a less intrusive extent than usual), but when it comes to the gameplay on the court it's far superior to anything else out there.

Wccftech - Alessio Palumbo - Unscored
So far, I'm having a lot of fun with Top Spin 2K25, though there are some obvious shortcomings, like the lack of online doubles and custom matches, the very limited roster of pro players, and the too-long rallies. I'll reserve final judgment after proper testing of the 2K and World Tour modes when they go live.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 5 / 10
TopSpin 2K25 is a massive disappointment. Feeling more like beta software, with a lack of modes, players, and fun. I cannot recommend this one at the egregious $70 price point.

Last edited:

nikos

I don't watch tennis but I'm really looking forward to playing this. Really tempted to go deluxe for early access but I should probably wait.

RAIDEN1

Right now with the "competition" so thin on the ground when it comes to this genre, this is the best tennis game you can get since Top Spin 4

Top Bottom