• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

dorkimoe

Gold Member
yeah this no turn by turn on the 4 makes no sense. I mean im getting a 5 anyway..but I would think it could work on the 4 without siri.

Alchemy

yeah this no turn by turn on the 4 makes no sense. I mean im getting a 5 anyway..but I would think it could work on the 4 without siri.

Turn by turn directions work fine on android without using any voice recognition software, looks just like a cash grab attempt to me.

dalVlatko

Just picked up a 13" Air. Love it so far, my first mac.

Only problem I have is that I can't find a way to middle click to open links in a new tab.

It's a bit annoying having to double click -> open in new tab every time.

LCfiner

Only problem I have is that I can't find a way to middle click to open links in a new tab.

download bettertouchtool and make a three finger tap a middle click for the system.

the app is very stable, free, and excellent

giga

Hold cmd and then tap.

bionic77

No, it's fine
Can you upgrade the RAM?

I don't think you can in the Air. I prioritize the RAM over HD space for that reason because even if it is a huge PIA you can at least upgrade the SSD through an OWC in the future when SSD prices come down.

Worth it to get the 8 gigs. That is what I am doing.

Rumor: Online battery test log points to possible 13-inch Retina Display MacBook Pro

Apple expected to launch 13" Retina MacBook Pro by early Oct.

Apple will bring a high-resolution Retina display to its 13-inch MacBook Pro with a product update set to launch this October, according to one insider.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI shared in a note with AppleInsider on Thursday that he expects Apple to ramp up production of a 13-inch next-generation MacBook Pro with Retina display in September. That would allow the product to hit stores in early October, in time for the holiday shopping season.

Kuo was the first to indicate that Apple would retire its 17-inch MacBook Pro, and that the 15-inch next-generation MacBook Pro with Retina display would be sold alongside the previous-generation MacBook Pro with lower-resolution display and thicker design. Both of those details proved true this week at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Apple has the "highest hopes" for the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, according to Kuo. But Apple was likely unable to unveil the new product at WWDC this week because of a low yield rate and greater assembly difficulty, he said.

Like the next-generation Retina display MacBook Pro, the 13-inch variety is expected to lack an optical disc drive and rely solely on solid-state flash memory storage. Kuo expects the screen to have a resolution of 2,560 by 1,600 pixels, and he said the 13-inch model will be slightly thinner than the 15-inch model, at 18 millimeters.

The next-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro is not expected to have discrete graphics like its 15-inch counterpart, but will instead rely on Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics. Kuo also expects it to have an Intel Ivy Bridge processor with a clock speed greater than 2 gigahertz.

As for the just-released 15-inch Retina display MacBook Pro, Kuo said that Apple should have about 300,000 units of the next-generation notebook available to sell this month, a number that he called a "moderate" amount.

Can you upgrade the RAM?

No, you can't. But all things being equal I think the base 13" model is just fine as a purchase. Hell, 4GB was the *maximum* RAM for last year's model. Unless you're running a bunch of Adobe apps at once or doing other performance intensive things that really are meant for a Pro anyway, 4GB is just fine for most users...which is probably why it's standard.

If you're looking to spend more, then yeah, one or the other upgrade might make sense.

lupin23rd

Ugh, fuck off. Retina 13 inch in October? That's the one I want, but I'm on a 2006 MacBook with half a keyboard, and I was tired of waiting last year when they didn't announce the rumored redesign.

Think I'm going to get a 13" Air this week and see how things look in October, could give it to my parents if there's a Retina out that I want.

I'd still like discrete graphics on a pro though.

Ugh, fuck off. Retina 13 inch in October? That's the one I want, but I'm on a 2006 MacBook with half a keyboard, and I was tired of waiting last year when they didn't announce the rumored redesign.

Think I'm going to get a 13" Air this week and see how things look in October, could give it to my parents if there's a Retina out that I want.

I'd still like discrete graphics on a pro though.

If you're potentially going to be buying two pretty expensive computers during the next four months..... then why have you not bought one during the past six years!?

Just asking.....

giga

Yo we talkin bout an analyst. Not wsj. Not a Bloomberg. Not 9to5. An analyst. An analyst? An analyst? Come on man. We talkin bout an analyst.

How the hell am I supposed to give money to apple by listening to analysts?!

Arnie

No turn by turn on the 4? That's pretty shit.

I won't be upgrading my 4 for a good year and a half, and then I'll probably grab a cheap 5 when the 5s is out.

lupin23rd

If you're potentially going to be buying two pretty expensive computers during the next four months..... then why have you not bought one during the past six years!?

Just asking.....

It's a good question!

I guess it suited my purposes still, especially as I got an iPad which took care of 60-70% of what I wanted to use a laptop for anyways.

Keyboard stopped working earlier this year, but since March 2011 there were the strong rumors so Ive been holding out.

Realistically I'll probably stick with an Air for now as I crunched the numbers and have other expenses i need to deal with, and may be moving overseas for a few months, plus the whole first gen Apple hardware stigma.

Bowser

Yo we talkin bout an analyst. Not wsj. Not a Bloomberg. Not 9to5. An analyst. An analyst? An analyst? Come on man. We talkin bout an analyst.

How the hell am I supposed to give money to apple by listening to analysts?!

This is the same guy that was the first to say Apple would be killing off the 17" MBPs and also released a research note the Friday before the conference saying that Apple would introduce a Retina MBP alongside the current existing lineup of MBPs, so he's proven to be pretty reliable and have some sources.

kuo_2012_notebook_lineup.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
If you're wanting a MacBook Air, now is the time to buy with Ivy Bridge, not when Haswell comes out.

That isn't always true.

Well yeah, right now for Air is the best time. Not to mention there is no reason to expect the Air to get retina in the 2013 refresh. They probably want to keep that pro-only for a while.

giga

KingKong

so how long do people think it will take for Airs to get retina displays? is there a problem with needing a huge battery/keeping the prices down or is it something for next year?

Bowser

And wrong about the 13 model coming this week. I don't deny that a next gen 13 will come, but October is hard for me to swallow.

I bet Apple did want to release both the 13" and 15" models at the same time, but yield for the 13" screens just wasn't there in time.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I bet Apple did want to release both the 13" and 15" models at the same time, but yield for the 13" screens just wasn't there in time.

I also think Apple might have wanted to push people to the more expensive 15" if they were hell-bent on getting a Retina Macbook.

Still, it would be curious timing to have Apple put out the 13" Retina as soon as October.

It's a good question!

I guess it suited my purposes still, especially as I got an iPad which took care of 60-70% of what I wanted to use a laptop for anyways.

Keyboard stopped working earlier this year, but since March 2011 there were the strong rumors so Ive been holding out.

Realistically I'll probably stick with an Air for now as I crunched the numbers and have other expenses i need to deal with, and may be moving overseas for a few months, plus the whole first gen Apple hardware stigma.

Ahh, makes sense. It's just that your initial post seemed a bit odd, sorry for being nosey.

I wish a laptop could last me as long as yours has you, but I'm already itching to upgrade this 2011 MBP.
Like you though I'm holding out for a 13" Retina, so will promptly bail out of this thread once GAFfers start getting their hands on the new models.

I'd definitely go for an Air if your travel plans become definite, I travelled for a couple of months with just an iPad which grew increasingly restrictive once I had to fully rely on it.
Would've loved to have had an Air with me :)

RevoDS

?? It's not like they make that much more off of it than any other model.

In terms of margin, perhaps not, but assuming a constant profit margin, Apple makes much more off a 15" Retina MacBook Pro than a standard 13" MacBook Pro because the price is so much higher.

If a user wanted a 13" MBP but goes for the Retina instead, Apple gets:

40% gross margin (Apple's overall average in recent years) * $2199 = $879.50

Instead of:

40% gross margin * $1299 = $519.60

So I'd say yes, they make that much more off of it than cheaper models.

Got the new Air, LOVING IT. I was a big fan of my old second-gen model and this is a really nice step up. More storage, MUCH snappier performance and the backlit keyboard is a great upgrade too. The Air is the perfect portable computer.

Carlisle

Got the new Air, LOVING IT. I was a big fan of my old second-gen model and this is a really nice step up. More storage, MUCH snappier performance and the backlit keyboard is a great upgrade too. The Air is the perfect portable computer.
That's awesome to hear. I ordered mine on the 12th and have been champing at the bit to get my hands on it. Cant wait! Hasn't even shipped yet though. I'm leaving in a week and a half for a work trip and It'll be great to have it along. But I dipped into my local Apple store this evening and gave it a spin. Looks really slick, though I have to admit the Retina Pro had my attention most of the time. Eye-bleedingly gorgeous.

Yeah I played around with the Retina Pro in-store too, pure fucking sex. I totally don't need that much computer but I was kinda-sorta tempted, the thing is so hot. Good thing they didn't have it in stock!

Next year will (hopefully) be the sweet spot with Retina Airs!

Yeah I played around with the Retina Pro in-store too, pure fucking sex. I totally don't need that much computer but I was kinda-sorta tempted, the thing is so hot. Good thing they didn't have it in stock!

Next year will (hopefully) be the sweet spot with Retina Airs!

Trying to decide between wait for Retina Air and Retina MBP myself. My rig is pretty good still, but I am getting back into photography soon and starting school where a Mac would be extremely useful.

Decisions decisions.

Bowser

And wrong about the 13 model coming this week. I don't deny that a next gen 13 will come, but October is hard for me to swallow.

Quick follow up on this - even in this report he said only the 15in would debut this week:

The introduction of this new "MacBook" model would leave Apple with a lineup of six notebooks, although Kuo predicts that issues with display yield and heat dissipation will push the release of the 13-inch MacBook back until August, leaving only the 15-inch model to make its debut next week.

I'm a little confused by this. Would waiting for these Haswell things be a bad thing?

The die shrink that came with Ivy Bridge came with a big boost in battery life, and a new GPU that edges out the low and low to mid-end dedicated GPUs by NVidia and AMD. Considering that we're only like a month in to Ivy Bridge, now is a great time to buy an Air unless you're waiting for Retina.

The only reason to wait for Haswell is if you really want/need more performance out of a thin-and-lite laptop. Haswell is going to bring (most likely) a big jump in CPU performance, more energy reduction, and a integrated GPU with ~64MB of dedicated VRAM, a GPU that will likely be able to edge out some mid-range AMD and NVidia cards.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It is pretty pathetic from a company listed on the stock market. Let your fans do that and don't go to their level.

yes, how pathetic that they made a tongue-in-cheek joke at a catered party.

next thing you know browser companies will send cakes to each other to celebrate releases.

Top Bottom