• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

AngryMoth

Feature I'd like most out of iOS6 is developers being able to use the app icons as widgets but I haven't seen any rumours suggesting this which is a little concerning considering we seem to already know pretty much everything else they're going to announce.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Feature I'd like most out of iOS6 is developers being able to use the app icons as widgets but I haven't seen any rumours suggesting this which is a little concerning considering we seem to already know pretty much everything else they're going to announce.
Fucking A.

The weather icon not being dynamic has always pissed me off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fucking A.

The weather icon not being dynamic has always pissed me off.

I want weather to be available on the lock screen, not limited to the notification drawer thing.

assuming there will be no live streaming of video from the event, just live blogging (and the video from apple later on)? Any recommended methods to follow it on ipad?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just want them to update the Mac Mini but it seems like it won't happen. Guess I'll be buying a 2011 model this week then.

what are you wanting from a refresh? Ivy Bridge won't add much CPU increase. The integrated graphics will be a little better but its still not a games machine.

mrkgoo

You guys are gonna be blown away with the extra row of icons.

I like to think Apple have come up with another use for the extra space, like maybe a refined notifications area, or a "widgets" area (clearly defined, like a second 'dock' that can hold live updating apps or something). It's not like Apple to do something just because - there has to be an endgame for it.

It also gives them an excuse to show off an exclusive feature for the next iPhone.

Bah, who am I kidding, no iPhone, = no hidden new iOS6 home screen.

Whatever they wind up doing with that extra space isn't gonna be revealed tomorrow. They're not gonna play that card until they reveal the entire phone. Tomorrow we'll see whatever watered-down version of iOS 6 all the current devices get to use. Any NFC, widgets, extra rows, etc, if it's hardware-related, they'll save it for the phone's reveal.

mrkgoo

Maybe you should ask her then? Not that I expect any other response from you, other than "she's super happy with it".

When I asked my sister-in-law if she was happy with her iPad, she said she was. Then I asked her about app crashes and she was like "ohhh, yeah. That happens. Quite annoying, but I thought it was normal".

There you have it. People are happy and not complaining about their OG iPad!

I'm pretty happy still with my gen 1 iPad. Sure, some frustrating moments, but better to have it than not.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How long do the keynotes usually go for?

Currently wondering if staying up till 3 am is the responsible or irresponsible thing to do.

SmokyDave

I just bought an Apple TV so I'm expecting a big and important refresh just to spite me.

As an aside, I wish I'd bought one sooner. Cool as fuck.

I'm also still happy with my Gen 1 iPad. It's a little slow sometimes but I don't mind that much. It's not only 3 years old, but it's the first generation of an entirely new product line. It's not unusable by any stretch of the imagination.

At this point I think I'm gonna wait for the iPad 4. All the battery/power issues dealing with the Retina Display will be sorted out by then. Hope my G1 lasts that long, though :\

Cheebo

Banned
I just bought an Apple TV so I'm expecting a big and important refresh just to spite me.

Apple TV 3 just came out in march. They won't refresh it for a while. This would just be a OS upgrade.

AngryMoth

How long do the keynotes usually go for?

Currently wondering if staying up till 3 am is the responsible or irresponsible thing to do.
Usually about 90 minutes and definitely not responsible, its not like there'll be video.

I've been going back and forth on getting one recently and I'm on the verge again but I can't help but feel I'm just buying a £99 AirPlay box since I already have access to most of the app services.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm hoping iOS 6 brings the goods.

I love my iPad and iPhone, but there are still some things I get really frustrated about.
For example having to dive in three menus deep before I can activate Bluetooth, WiFi or 3G? That's garbage. That should be a toggle whenever I doubleclick the home button, or a toggle in the notification center.

Phoenix

!

I'm probably hoping for too much, but they'll probably use some proprietary protocol. =(

Yeah, I'm almost certain of that. I do think that certain vendor phone launches really should have happened BEFORE this event. Coming in during the afterglow of WWDC is going to be ... unfortunate.

SmokyDave

Apple TV 3 just came out in march. They won't refresh it for a while. This would just be a OS upgrade.

Nice. Although, I'm OK with the box receiving a significant upgrade because I think it has plenty of potential and the old one will just get relegated to a bedroom or games room. Not for a while though, it seems.

I've been going back and forth on getting one recently and I'm on the verge again but I can't help but feel I'm just buying a £99 AirPlay box since I already have access to most of the app services.
I grabbed one on impulse and I'm really glad I did. I was using a hotch-potch of programs to handle my media streaming but the ATV is so much simpler and slicker. Airplay games are far more compelling than I expected too. Just need to figure out how to block the missus' phone to stop her interrupting my music with Steps or Girls Aloud.

Phoenix

Long live Siri Beam.

We all know its coming. The question is whether they will be smart enough to add it to the AppleTV and the upcoming mac models. You do that, and you change things - big time. It will be a technology that people have been sitting on for years that will all of a sudden look like magic.

2012 will definitely be the year it all takes off, and not because of Beam/Magnet/QuickShare/etc. I still can't believe these guys can get 4.x/ICS on more than 7% of devices. I'd have been embarrassed to even release those numbers.

kehs

Banned
We all know its coming. The question is whether they will be smart enough to add it to the AppleTV and the upcoming mac models. You do that, and you change things - big time. It will be a technology that people have been sitting on for years that will all of a sudden look like magic.

2012 will definitely be the year it all takes off, and not because of Beam/Magnet/QuickShare/etc. I still can't believe these guys can get 4.x/ICS on more than 7% of devices. I'd have been embarrassed to even release those numbers.

They're still feeling the HC screwup. It's a real shame because ICS really took it up a notch. I like to think they had a big bet with Moto over HC and the wager revolved around absorbing Moto.

To be fair though 7% of 900K activations per day is still a good number.

Phoenix

They're still feeling the HC screwup. It's a real shame because ICS really took it up a notch. I like to think they had a big bet with Moto over HC and the wager revolved around absorbing Moto.

To be fair though 7% of 900K activations per day is still a good number.

Not when your next OS is being revealed in like 30 days :)

strata8

Starts at 3am for me. I love being asleep during these sort of conferences because I know there'll be a ton of news for me to read when I wake up in the morning.

dc89

I'll be following a live blog of this whilst watching Euro 2012, the girlfriend is at work and I'm off! WHOO!

Blastoise

Banned
I can't wait for mountain lion. I know people hate the "iOSification" of Mac OS, but I've been using reminders lately to sync across my iPhone and iPad, and it one of the easiest things ever.

I have tried Wunderlist, but I can't wait for native reminders syncing on all my devices.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Dumb question incoming. Say Apple releases the thin retina display 15" MBPs but also spec bump the original 15" MBP. The original would be the wiser direction (non-retina) to go for someone looking for more power out of the device, correct? I plan on using the new MBP for recording music and playing live shows.

LCfiner

I can't wait for mountain lion. I know people hate the "iOSification" of Mac OS, but I've been using reminders lately to sync across my iPhone and iPad, and it one of the easiest things ever.

I have tried Wunderlist, but I can't wait for native reminders syncing on all my devices.

Reminders are already partof Mac OS Lion. They're just hidden in a side pane in iCal. They sync OTA just like all the other iCloud stuff.

I can't wait for mountain lion because lion is one of the worst OS experiences ever compared to snow leopard. It's like apple purposely inject some sort of code into their OS' to make hardware that is 1+ year old run slower so they force you to upgrade hardware. My mid-2010 iMac got at least 30% slower after moving to lion.

Whoa we may get Mountain Lion today, cjelly? I never imagined we would. Hype + 1000. Hope we do.

Blastoise

Banned
Reminders are already partof Mac OS Lion. They're just hidden in a side pane in iCal. They sync OTA just like all the other iCloud stuff.

That's a shame, because I hate opening iCal (dat faux leather!). I'm looking forward to it being a separate app. The majority of my reminders are filled with bullshit, and stuff that Siri gets wrong.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I hope somewhere, somehow all the faux-leather-shit in apps goes.

Just poof, overnight.

iPhone, iPad and in Mountain Lion. Just done.

Zutroy

I got one recently and although it is essentially just a streaming box, it works so well and effortlessly. Any OS upgrades to allow apps is just an added bonus.

I got mine from simplyelectronics for just over £80. They didnt mention that it was going to be a Canadian version they sent out (must be how they can knock £20 off the price) but all you need is any standard figure 8 plug (like the PS2 one) and it works.

Cheebo

Banned
I imagine Mountain Lion will be on the App Store straight away after the keynote.
Huh? I have no idea why you would think that. Apple says its a late summer release and they have to put out the developers gold version still and give devs time with that.

glaurung

No way Mountain Lion hits the AppStore this week - or even this month.

I say the release window is the second half of August.

I'd be happy to be wrong though.

Dumb question incoming. Say Apple releases the thin retina display 15" MBPs but also spec bump the original 15" MBP. The original would be the wiser direction (non-retina) to go for someone looking for more power out of the device, correct? I plan on using the new MBP for recording music and playing live shows.

Yeah, it would be more powerful. There's a chance a non-thin 15" will still have a retina display, however.

I hope the Nvidia 650M rumors are true. That's a sexy enough GPU to make me jealous (mostly because they went back to team green, which Apple's drivers have seemingly always been better for, IMO).

Top Bottom