• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

anthony2690

Banned
I recently watched wrestling for the first time since wwf?

It was on ITV2 and it was this freshly squeezed guy and it was pretty entertaining, a friend said I needed to check out AEW and it wasn't too bad.

Any particular wrestlers worth keeping an eye on/matches worth watching?

:)

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy

It was on ITV2 and it was this freshly squeezed guy and it was pretty entertaining, a friend said I needed to check out AEW and it wasn't too bad.

Kenny omega
PAC
Daniel Bryan
The bucks
Lucha Bros
William osprey
Okada

Dthomp

If you are looking at AEW Stuff. Best match to start is likely Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson, then after that every Bryan Danielson match, mostly any Kenny Omega matches (outside of the hardcore junk with Moxley), Most Young Bucks matches are great, along with anything FTR for tag team wrestling. Those two teams and singles will showcase the best of the best that AEW has to offer, there are plenty other high quality matches but that's the peak.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Orange Cassidy is great. He is fresh. Kenny omega. Young bucks are a great tag team as are the lucha brothers.

AEW has some great talent. The women are still rough around the edges. Except for sky blue she is cool. Brit baker is fun.

anthony2690

Banned
Orange Cassidy is great. He is fresh. Kenny omega. Young bucks are a great tag team as are the lucha brothers.

AEW has some great talent. The women are still rough around the edges. Except for sky blue she is cool. Brit baker is fun.
I've seen both of them, both have great bums too 👀

AJUMP23

Gold Member
If both are producing good content then I assume both will become better.

I would like Tanile dashwood to come to AEW now that she is a free agent. I think she and Penelope ford would make good womens tag champs.

dave_d

Was Punk getting disciplined with a loss like that?

Great Dynamite.
Osprey and Pac/Fenix were completely amazing. wow.
I thought to myself when Punk won the title was, "The only way I wouldn't start watching AEW when Punk loses is if they do something stupid like have Moxley win it." Oh well, at least Corney's take on this should be hilarious.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Obama Reaction GIF

Wtf was that Punk vs Mox match ..

Dthomp

Sigh, it's a work people. Punk isn't ready to go, otherwise you don't do this right before a CHICAGO PPV. He's not fully ready, and this sets him up to return a heel and cost Moxley the belt. Wouldn't shock me if they don't go Moxley/Page at the PPV as there isn't a place for Page and that was gonna be Pages first feud after winning the belt.

Interim belt was dumb this time, and even worse with Rosa. She was awful at everything, so count your blessings she is hurt and move that belt to somebody else and call it a day

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RNG

NickFire

I liked how aggressive Mox was when Punk was injured. I liked other parts of the show too. But the pacing and match placement left me feeling incredibly underwhelmed when the show ended. Roster is just too bloated and some of the booking decisions just don't seem very audience friendly IMO.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I wonder why Punk was played up being so injured at the end. The doctors and staff coming in to look at his foot, I assume is part of some story. Otherwise I have no idea why they would make him drop a championship after not having a run. I find mox bland....but that is me. I would rather have Best Friends have a champ or Miro, or some character like that.

Dthomp

I wonder why Punk was played up being so injured at the end. The doctors and staff coming in to look at his foot, I assume is part of some story. Otherwise I have no idea why they would make him drop a championship after not having a run. I find mox bland....but that is me. I would rather have Best Friends have a champ or Miro, or some character like that.

I'd guess with the docs and the slow walk and turning and watching the fans will lead to the usual, all you people cheered when Moxley beat up an injured champion who returned for YOU FANS! heel turn when he's finally ready to go. I imagine that the foot had way more damage then originally thought to be, and there was no way he could go out for a 15-30 minute title match. For a 2 minute squash, that's an easy shot and an adrenaline burst and then you're out. Figure we'll get another boring as shit 3-6 month long snoozefest of Mox title reign before we get a Punk return at Full Gear or Revolution and then we can reset AGAIN!

WWE has improved 1000% in the HHH era, and honestly outside of Kenny and the Bucks, they have most of the star power when it's used to it's fullest. A proper KO is better then 95% of what AEW has put on TV in the last 6 months and I love AEW, but they can't compete with a properly used Drew McIntire, KO, Sami, etc. etc. AEW has the best wrestler of possibly all time in Bryan Danielson who is just that extra guy in the BCC, and if you wanted them to hold all the belts, it should have been him taking it off of Punk instead of Moxley, but we all know TK has a giant man crush on the man who has NEVER lost a singles match in AEW clean.

Dthomp

Meltzer saying the plan is still Mox vs. Punk at All Out....I don't see how you book a rematch after that joke of a match on Wednesday. Just put the belt back on Kenny and lets move on

dave_d

Meltzer saying the plan is still Mox vs. Punk at All Out....I don't see how you book a rematch after that joke of a match on Wednesday. Just put the belt back on Kenny and lets move on
Belt back on Kenny? Can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

NickFire

I don't see it either. If Punk was that injured, I just don't see how he'd have a chance 10 or 11 days later.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Because the squashed player comes roaring back in and overcomes the odds to win. MMA punk shows up and wins it all. Bring in MJF to help Punk win it. Heel turn for them all.

Last edited:

RavageX

I think you guys have more entertainment with trying to figure out whats gonna happen. The actual product is a letdown.

Most of the time

Naked Lunch

I think you guys have more entertainment with trying to figure out whats gonna happen. The actual product is a letdown.

Most of the time
Disagree. AEW is lightyears ahead of what WWE has been peddling for the past 10-15 years. It was literally un-watchable for all that time - and now Im back to watching pro wrestling regularly - something I havent done since the 90s/early 2000s.

WWE has finally improved just recently with Vince gone and there are lots of other promotions which are great - and easier to access like NJPW and Impact. AEW opened that door for me. The actual wrestling seems to be more front and center these days - with incredible live act athleticism. Hulk Hogan wasnt doing this shit.
I think its solid entertainment at the moment and worth following.

RavageX

Disagree. AEW is lightyears ahead of what WWE has been peddling for the past 10-15 years. It was literally un-watchable for all that time - and now Im back to watching pro wrestling regularly - something I havent done since the 90s/early 2000s.

WWE has finally improved just recently with Vince gone and there are lots of other promotions which are great - and easier to access like NJPW and Impact. AEW opened that door for me. The actual wrestling seems to be more front and center these days - with incredible live act athleticism. Hulk Hogan wasnt doing this shit.
Just a different place for me I suppose. Most of these ppl don't look the part they are trying to play. Do a bunch of cool moves? Sure, but for me the fact they dont register them as being impactful makes it less enjoyable for me.

Motives make little sense, WWE was a terrible offender of this. NJPW looks like the same thing as wwe these days. Japan wrestling used to be my alternative if i wanted something different.

But i am glad that its enjoyable for some. Wrestling was really losing it without proper competition.

Dthomp

On one hand i want Trips to bring Moxley back to WWE so I can enjoy AEW again...but then I'd have to watch Dean in WWE and that would ruin what has become must watch TV....maybe he can just retire or go to one of those garbage GCWs or what not please

Hayabusa83

Banned

Hogan could go if he wanted to. I remember watching him in Japan in the early 90s and I was pleasantly surprised to see him do more than a series of punches and kicks, a body slam, big boot, and leg drop.

Fox Mulder

Over booked junk. This match would have been big by itself for All Out in Chicago already, but they wanted the shock and ratings from that garbage on Dynamite.

Dthomp

Over booked junk. This match would have been big by itself for All Out in Chicago already, but they wanted the shock and ratings from that garbage on Dynamite.

Yeah, this is a WCW kind of thing, why hype the fuck out of a big deal main event when we can get a slight ratings bump for our cable show that won't help sell PPVs or cause people to tune in next week to see the same ol' Moxley promo. Chasing shock things for ratings is a recipe for disaster. You got good ratings in year 1 and on from putting on the best wrestling show, not the most big surprises, or shitfest hardcore matches, by having matches that entertained. You have a stable right now that features 3 guys that should be fighting for the world title, but instead they are part of a group they don't need to be in.

Seeing that behind the scenes thing Friday was dumb, it doesn't help set up AO, so we have ONE Dynamite to somehow explain how Punk deserves another match after being made look stupid, which then in turn makes the PPV match dumb. Either Punk wins in Chicago for the big pop, and you have to suspend disbelief that he was manhandled in 3 minutes like 2 weeks prior and is injured, or Mox wins again and it makes Punk nothing. He can't afford to losses to Moxley in a month and come out looking like anything but a chump. Also if Punk wins clean, it would be the first clean singles loss for Moxley ever in AEW...that is beyond dumb.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I can't imagine why anyone likes Mox much. He should be a midcard guy with a hardcore title since he likes that shit so much.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I can't imagine why anyone likes Mox much. He should be a midcard guy with a hardcore title since he likes that shit so much.
Mox or Ambrose were never interesting to me either. His wife is far better and he married so far up the food chain it is the greatest hope for all the cretons out there. He has one thing and it is being tough.

NickFire

Seeing that behind the scenes thing Friday was dumb, it doesn't help set up AO, so we have ONE Dynamite to somehow explain how Punk deserves another match after being made look stupid, which then in turn makes the PPV match dumb. Either Punk wins in Chicago for the big pop, and you have to suspend disbelief that he was manhandled in 3 minutes like 2 weeks prior and is injured, or Mox wins again and it makes Punk nothing. He can't afford to losses to Moxley in a month and come out looking like anything but a chump. Also if Punk wins clean, it would be the first clean singles loss for Moxley ever in AEW...that is beyond dumb.
Yup. I'd go as far to say this is past his prime Vince type of booking if Punk wrestles and wins at the PPV.

MAYBE a second match so soon would have made sense with a long buildup to a payoff with Punk getting hurt just before in a non-title or tag match. Some situation where he'd been fighting for the chance for so long he wouldn't let injury hold him back. But even then its a big MAYBE because we are talking about a foot that collapsed from a single kick. Fighting through feet and leg injuries are harder sells to power through.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Goddamn Seth airing out Riddle's messy real life laundry just like that. I get the 'ow the edge' aspect but it's still too recent lol.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I will watch RAW if they bring Shane back.

I wonder what this storyline conversation was like. Let me say something about your wife.....anything to make a buck.

Top Bottom