• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

RavageX

Shane positioning himself as some elite level striker, and the wrestlers having to sell for it, was embarrassing.
Im gonna have to agree, not someone who should be holding their own (in the early days) with a wrestler. I am also not impressed with jumping off of stuff.

DKehoe

Im gonna have to agree, not someone who should be holding their own (in the early days) with a wrestler. I am also not impressed with jumping off of stuff.
When he was younger the "he's crazy and he'll do anything" angle kinda worked. But now not only is he older but he gets positioned as a legit skilled badass who can go toe to to with anyone. All because he has done some boxing classes as a hobby.

Last edited:

dave_d

Shane positioning himself as some elite level striker, and the wrestlers having to sell for it, was embarrassing.
You know on the positive side Shane's antics helped me appreciate Greg Gagne. I mean I know back in the day we ripped on him for nepotism but these days I can at least see that Greg was actually decent in the ring. (Shane wasn't. Oh and Gagne has a really good "Dick the Bruiser" impression. I definitely appreciate Gagne after seeing Shane.)

jufonuk

not tag worthy

judy reyes scrubs GIF
Triple H Yes GIF by WWE

NickFire

I'm genuinely intrigued by Drew and Roman this weekend. And Seth and Riddle might end up a match of the year winner.

Not nearly as hyped (not hyped even a little really) for the other side of the pond this weekend. Most intriguing match is the Acclaimed, but I'm expecting some nonsense finish where they look good but lose because TK just hasn't seemed to value them very much IMO. That said, if MJF comes back tonight and is in title picture, it probably becomes must see for me. But if that happens and he loses to Moxley, I think AEW gets deleted from my DVR for a while.

Dthomp

I'm genuinely intrigued by Drew and Roman this weekend. And Seth and Riddle might end up a match of the year winner.

Not nearly as hyped (not hyped even a little really) for the other side of the pond this weekend. Most intriguing match is the Acclaimed, but I'm expecting some nonsense finish where they look good but lose because TK just hasn't seemed to value them very much IMO. That said, if MJF comes back tonight and is in title picture, it probably becomes must see for me. But if that happens and he loses to Moxley, I think AEW gets deleted from my DVR for a while.

I'm really hoping for a Drew win, he's been my 2nd favorite WWE performer since he returned behind "The Man" and he absolutely after not having fans at Mania for his first title deserves the ovation he'll get over there and while he hasn't been in the title picture since he lost it but has been kept strong as hell. Ditch the fucking sword, come out kick ass, kick out of everything to bring back that Roman that just can't understand why he can't keep him down and eventually big Claymore for the win. Drew is a superstar, Roman can shift character a little bit spiraling without his titles and the Usos maybe piling on, could be good character development for him.

Always loved the Acclaimed, but I don't see Lee/Swerve dropping the belts yet...cause then TK would need a plan for two potential main event level players. Way easier to stick em in a tag team and do nothing with them then have multiple stories going. Trios tourney has taken all the steam and teams out of the tag division atm.

Dynamite needs to be outstanding to sell me on buying the PPV. I love CM Punk, but that Moxley loss was so badly done that I don't see a world where a rematch should happen. MJF just does nothing for me, he's a non PG Miz in my eyes. A great promo (Which Miz CAN be) but pretty meh in ring. I don't see any world where he returns right in the main event picture after all the stuff. Could see some interference of some kind, maybe they align him with Punk to go along with a Punk turn...just can't see that working in Chicago. Who knows, this card is not exciting to me in any way. Elite vs. Dark Order? That's laughable, Jericho vs. Bryan? Eh could easily be a Dynamite Main Event, FTR and Wardlow being in a 6 man is a waste of two different titles. Toni beating Rosa would have at least been a payoff, interim is a bad thing that we didn't need again. It'll take all the shine off of her winning

Naked Lunch

The CM Punk promo was probably the worst fucking segment in AEW's short history.
Walks out limping, crying, is going to quit. 2 minutes later: "Im all better now - I got the spirit of Chicago in me"
Double thumbs down. who cares. MJF better come back to spoil that trash.

It was all made up by the amazing Omega Osprey match. I just need to learn to turn off the garbage mox punk spots.

• LOL
Reactions: RNG

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
AEW

AEW seems to have lost some momentum within the 6 months. I think their biggest problem now is Tony Khan. He should leave the creative responsibilities to someone who actually knows what they're doing.

It was exciting to see ex-WWE stars make their AEW debut, but now they have a roster filled with talent and they don't know what to do with them.

WWE

Creative has really picked up over the past few weeks, but right now Triple H is doing everything he can to overturn the mistakes that were created by Vince McMahon and he's doing a really good job so far.

There were some unhappy fans after Monday Night RAW when Raquel and Aliyah won Women's Tag Team Champions over Dakota and Iyo Sky. I think this is a good decision if Noami and Sasha are coming back soon, but they're the ones who should be holding the tag team titles. But if they're not coming back soon, then I'll have to really see how this plays out.

The problem now is that Roman has a reduced schedule and there should always be a champion on RAW and Smackdown. It think it would have been great if Roman lost one of his titles to Drew and the Usos lost the Raw Tag Team champions to KO and Sammy.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
https://www.wrestlezone.com/news/1316953-report-bobby-fishs-aew-contract-likely-not-getting-renewed

If this is true it’s another head scratcher for me unless he doesn’t want to be renewed. With trios being a thing now, I figured Reddragon and Cole would have a few trios programs together. And redragon as a tag team seemed to have unutilized potential to me as well.
I thought I saw on Twitter where he said he would go to war for HHH. So he may want back in the WWE. I can't find the tweet though.

Dthomp

https://www.wrestlezone.com/news/1316953-report-bobby-fishs-aew-contract-likely-not-getting-renewed

If this is true it’s another head scratcher for me unless he doesn’t want to be renewed. With trios being a thing now, I figured Reddragon and Cole would have a few trios programs together. And redragon as a tag team seemed to have unutilized potential to me as well.

I hope Fish can get a training role in WWE, the last 4 years he's been beyond injury prone so I can see why AEW wouldn't look to resign him if he can't be out there and be healthy. Not sure if they find somebody else to fill his role in UE so we can get the payoff against the Elite or if KoR and Cole implode and go their separate ways.

I've not hid that I think Moxley is a terrible champion and character in AEW, he's so fucking boring but man how on earth can you have two guys that CAN cut good promos end up with this build? I liked Punks energy, but the Rocky feeling after getting destroyed works better when Rocky put up a fight the first time and just barely lost, not getting fully owned. I hope this leads to a Punk turn with help at the PPV since we all know TK never has let Mox lose cleanly ever. Punks character needs a change, but booking all this around his hometown is gonna make it real hard to get him boo'd. This could go a few different ways, I'm just not sure I care about any of them.

What I did learn watching/listening to Dynamite (This show has gone from must see to the old SD in the background role for me) is that you have Bryan Danielson and Kenny Omega in your company as the two guys that should be pushed as your MEGA superstars and neither is really in much of anything (I know Kenny just returned), I'd rather have just had Page and the bucks in Trios and let Kenny come back as singles guy, but we gotta let pathetic Dark Order get some trios belts to make them IMMEDIATELY meaningless. I don't care if Punk and Mox can deliver a promo to sell a match, but when neither guy is able to deliver in the ring to the level of half the roster, it's a moot point

Fox Mulder

The CM Punk promo was probably the worst fucking segment in AEW's short history.
Walks out limping, crying, is going to quit. 2 minutes later: "Im all better now - I got the spirit of Chicago in me"
Double thumbs down. who cares. MJF better come back to spoil that trash.

It was all made up by the amazing Omega Osprey match. I just need to learn to turn off the garbage mox punk spots.

Nobody wanted injured crying pussy CM Punk. Sometimes these companies just keep finding any way to not give the fans what they want and make money. A hot CM Punk championship until he fights returning MJF is easy.

NickFire

I think its crazy how they can't get main events to pop on numbers, but overall they seem to be doing alright. I bitch a lot about AEW but its just because they roped me in with a great roster last year / storylines last year and keep dropping the ball this year (in my opinion of course). When they should be running wild with MJF we instead get cross promotions that mean nothing to most people, six million stupid belts for a failed company(ies), and constant start / stop promotion for ex WWE guys. But I'm still glad they are holding alright on the ratings because I don't want them going away. I just want them to utilize their best talent properly and get a little smarter about booking a very talented roster.

Naked Lunch

I think its crazy how they can't get main events to pop on numbers, but overall they seem to be doing alright. I bitch a lot about AEW but its just because they roped me in with a great roster last year / storylines last year and keep dropping the ball this year (in my opinion of course). When they should be running wild with MJF we instead get cross promotions that mean nothing to most people, six million stupid belts for a failed company(ies), and constant start / stop promotion for ex WWE guys. But I'm still glad they are holding alright on the ratings because I don't want them going away. I just want them to utilize their best talent properly and get a little smarter about booking a very talented roster.
I agree with most of that except your disregard for cross promotions. Its my understand that wrestling was basically founded on lots of different nation(world?)-wide promotions crossing over when it was just getting started. Once Vince showed up - he walled all that off.

It took years but AEW finally brought this back - and is probably its biggest achievement in its short history. The cross promotion stuff is things we never thought would happen again and is the most exciting bit of AEW to me. Its kinda like Capcom vs SNK in the gaming world.

Its great for the hardcore fans - but also: your average joe isnt going to know NJPW's history - but this no doubt opens some of those same people's eyes there has always been more to the sport than WWE.

Dthomp

I agree with the cross promtion stuff here, I get why it is viewed as important...but it did nothing for the talent, most didn't come out of Forbidden Door with any kind of momentum from it, and it stalled so many feuds just to put on a "supershow". I do disagree about MJF, the guy is a solid midcarder right now, had they pushed him up the card to the moon he'd get the same go away heat that Sammy gets being featured all the time. The guy is great on the mic, but his in ring work doesn't even meet the Ex WWE guys for the most part, AEW tried too hard and too fast to make their "pillars" a thing and ALL of them outside of Britt suffered for it. Sammy and Darby were overused, Jungle Boy even now is still too green for all the talking and features. These guys will all have a time....DOWN THE ROAD! Miro can out promo all of them, and deliver great matches, and yet he's nowhere most of the time.

I'm hoping All Out can shake shit up, cause they need it badly. Page to Punk to Moxley has been an awful string of World Title stuff (Can't help the Punk injury), Interim was dumb, should have just put it on Moxley and had Punk return to beat him in Chicago, Womens title has been a joke since Britt dropped it (I'm not sure Storm is the answer to this issue either TBH), I couldn't care less about Swerve Glory, and we all know the Acclaimed aren't winning unless Swerve or Lee turn on eachother.

There are opportunities here, could have something like an MJF return siding with Punk to take down Moxley, could have Punk turn with a new crew behind him. Punk needs to come out of this as a heel because the cheers will begin to fade very soon with the recent booking, and him as a heel could be great. I wonder if we don't get an Adam Cole return to screw the Elite, cause them just beating the Dark Order is kind of meh, and Dark Order beating them with no outside help is laughable. I don't want a big reveal new guy or any of Tonys tricks, I want character development and arc changes cause we could all name off 7-10 guys that are misused and alot would be different. Gotta focus on more then Moxley, Darby, Jade and Britt...

Lets Go Drew!

Naked Lunch

Are we sure Vince is no longer in charge of WWE creative?
That PPV ending is the reason many people stopped watching the product all those years ago - me included.
I could care less who even won - but to have that massive spectacle come down to a ref being pulled from the ring was just so so retarded. You couldnt end it any cheaper.
You even heard a kid screaming AEW in the commentators mic afterwards.

Then lets stand around and sing Kumbaya with Tyson Fury. Yeah, WWE is not for me.
The more things change the more they stay the same...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Are we sure Vince is no longer in charge of WWE creative?
That PPV ending is the reason many people stopped watching the product all those years ago - me included.
I could care less who even won - but to have that massive spectacle come down to a ref being pulled from the ring was just so so retarded. You couldnt end it any cheaper.
You even heard a kid screaming AEW in the commentators mic afterwards.

Then lets stand around and sing Kumbaya with Tyson Fury. Yeah, WWE is not for me.
The more things change the more they stay the same...
The last bit was real ?

Dthomp

They’ve never had such an easy home run setup for them to completely whiff it at the end. That was your chance to have your modern age Bret/Bulldog moment for all those kids over there for the next thirty years, oh and the benefit of a superstar who would actually be there every week in Drew. This PPV fr me was easily close to a 9/10 and thatending ruined all the good vibes I was feeling.

The eruption would have been deafening, but I suppose another year of Roman cheating to win and calling himself the goat so he can lose to fucking Cody of all people is PEAK Vince booking. Drew was the call here, Kross feud was already in play, and after a defense against Kross you get a cheap cash in from Theory to split the belts and we move on.

But I guess I can tune out til Rumble now since I was already bored of the Roman and USO shows before they added another boring Uso to the mix. Can’t wait for KO and Sami to be fed to the machine so that USA USA Cody can save us.

This ending was so bad that I’m pumped for Punk going over so that I get that feel good moment I was robbed of here. Cause at least when it comes to ppvs AEW at least gives peopLe what they want

Naked Lunch

The last bit was real ?
I guess Drew was trying to cheer the crowd up or something.
Yep. Drew and Tyson Fury (yes the boxer) literally singing to the crowd while they sat there hyper pissed at that ending.
One of the dumbest things I ever watched. wow.

Sheesh - was that spot on or what.
I guess you need a reminder every once in awhile. AEW with all its flaws is trying to be and do things different. WWE still WWE.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Maybe just maybe going with a batshit stupid finish after getting the whole place hyped for a Drew title win was a DUMB idea, and thinking that karaoke after the fact will change that is equally as DUMB. I don't care about stupid Cody theories (I've read some stupid shit today about Cody needing to be the 1 to do it), this was the chance for HHH to put his stamp on the direction. A big Drew win here in front of the UK fans and goofy shit to take 1 of the belts off of him gives you creative freedom in a lot of ways, and it's easy to screw over a babyface champion to get a belt off then whatever nonsense will do Roman in. Drew the guy who beat an unstoppable Brock Lesnar at Mania couldn't beat Roman in his home country, but 3 star midcard Cody will kick out of 4 spears and hit 5 Crossroads to get the job done?

You'd think HHH would know that PT champions are a terrible thing and would be doing everything in his power to move away from the direction of Roman vs. Rock that Vince wanted so much that seems still on the table. NXT was built on pushing NEW and fan favorite superstars, and it looked like we were heading this way but alas WWE gonna WWE.

I've been back watching wrestling for what... about 5 months now? As much as I don't like Drew McIntyre and his "I'm big, scottish, and run around with a plastic sword like a complete retard" schtick, that ending was still pathetic to me. Really just a needless slap in the face to their fans over in Britain.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Also CM Punk has been saying some stuff about colt and the EVP’s rumour is the EVP’s threatening to quit AEW. More works ?

Or they doing Civil war?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don’t know why the talent would fight backstage. Be professional. What Punk said only makes things worse. If people have issues with the champ then they have issues with the owner.

Dthomp

Also CM Punk has been saying some stuff about colt and the EVP’s rumour is the EVP’s threatening to quit AEW. More works ?

Or they doing Civil war?

Too many works with AEW, and I think we are seeing cracks from many that likely were promised great runs and chances only to be left hanging. I don't like the current direction as I find "Faction Warfare" to be beyond boring in todays day and age and that's what you get with bloat this bad. You're going to see the Elite of Kenny/Bucks/Page and possibly a Cole upon return, Punks guys with FTR/Wardlow, MJFs jobber crew of Ass Boys and Big Cass, BCC, JAS and a bunch of other meaningless crap.

I may go over my thoughts later but All Out should have had ALL TITLE CHANGES as a way to reset stuff. Stuff is very stagnant right now. Toni Storm really hasn't done anything since she got there to really get cheered for winning, and the womens division continues to be trash (Not something I blame TK for, you only have the ability to hire who is out there).

Top Bottom