• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you subscribe to gamepass, if it comes to steam?

Would you sub to gamepass steam?

• Total voters

kingfey

Banned
Gabe is welcoming the idea of gamepass to steam. IF MS accepts his proposal, would you guys sub to gamepass?

It's the only way I'd consider subscribing. I'm only interested in 1 or 2 new releases a year, so I'd probably just sign up to play those and then let the subscription expire.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I currently spend next to nothing on video games, GamePass would be a big increase in my gaming spending. Right now I have two people sharing their massive Steam libraries with me, and they're regularly buying more games, so I don't think I'll bother taking a look at GamePass unless I somehow manage to stop having a backlog.

Lognor

Banned
I already subscribe. Best deal in gaming. I would likely use it on Steam instead of the MS store if it happened though.

BaneIsPain

Christian Bale Idk GIF

Depends on how it's integrated; part of me thinks the bigger reason their 1P has done so well on Steam is because PC GamePass is kind of a joke. However, if they integrate it into Steam and resolve some of the issues, will those Steam releases of 1P games do as well, or will GamePass eat into them? And if it does, will it be enough to offset lost sales?

A lot of that probably depends on if some of the trails and pricing perks available for it currently are cut out from the Steam version, so you'd have no other option but to pay the regular monthly price. But, if GamePass on Steam ends up lower priced due to not offering 3P games (because of Steam, obviously), how would subscription revenue offset sales loss when the average subscription annually would only cover less than two $60 AAA releases?

Would GamePass on Steam be augmented to function more like EA Play due to those reasons? There's probably a lot of logistical issues both sides still need to figure out before any real chance of GamePass coming to Steam, IMO.

Zeroing

Banned
Gamepass is NOT the same as gamepass PC. When I tried it a year ago there wasn't a big selection of games, so unless its gotten way closer to xbox gamepass: No
I agree, I also tired it back when "it's the next big thing ever" threads and I expressed the same opinion and I had tons of issues with the service on PC but people were busy defending Gamepass to even reply...

JackSparr0w

Banned
Of course not because it'll be full price unlike the tricks you can do on Microsoft store to get gamepass on the cheap.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Maybe to play some smaller games I don't care about owning but I wouldn't keep the sub going indefinitely. The first party stuff I want to play has tech issues for me that won't be fully solved by it being on Steam though so it doesn't have that added value for me.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Depends on what games would be included in the subscription. GP is only a good deal if it has the games you want to play.
True fax.

Halo is F2P and the only thing on the horizon that is a must play for me this year is Starfield. If I wasn’t subbed for 3 years using the £1 exploit I’d have let it lapse until November for sure.

Chukhopops

I already have GPU so the only benefit for me would be to be able to use Steam link on my iPad for indies.

Never had any issue with the Xbox app but for people who do it would be a game changer I guess.

Nah, but i would be closer to considering it, if the games actually used .exe files and not Microsoft apps where you can't mod and don't work with Steam link because there is no .exe. I can't play Forza 7 on my steam link hardware because its a windows store app. It sucks.

Also I have like 1000+ games going back generations on gog and steam. I already don't have enough time to play games. Let alone most of these games i probably already own, or don't care about.

Have too many damn subscriptions. I hate how the public is now fine with subscriptions, not realizing they are being f'd. 10 -20 years ago, paying $15 /month was a big deal, and many hated it.

Then we payed $9 for netflix , they cut the number of people and up the price. Then say if you want family plan $17/month. Then more shows get cut and new services come like Hulu, tubi, vudu, shudder, disney+ , amc+, amazon video, youtube video, showtime+ , hbomax, peacock, etc....

Next thing you know you are paying for cable tv again with all the subscriptions.

I like being able to pick and choose as my time is limited. So i have netflix and rent off amazon video for what isn't on it, borrow a friends hulu account, or buy used movies.
Same with games. i have tons, I am glad as they are mine to keep. I will buy something if i want to pay it. Don't want another sub service eating my wallet. Bad enough i have to have nintendo and psn to play online and get retro nes /snes games.

I agree, I also tired it back when "it's the next big thing ever" threads and I expressed the same opinion and I had tons of issues with the service on PC but people were busy defending Gamepass to even reply...
Yeah some here act very cult-like when it comes to this subject.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah some here act very cult-like when it comes to this subject.
Same can be said about anything in here you don't like.

Game pass enjoyers? Cult like

PlayStation exclusive enjoyers? Cult like

Nintendo exclusive enjoyers? Cult like.

CuNi

I already had it from time to time on the xbox app, if it comes to steam I'd sub more often.
I wonder if that would also unlock EA Game Pass on Steam since you technically get it when you buy gamepass but since it's not connected to steam you can only use it in the Xbox App or on Origin afaik.
That would be huge.

Juza

I loved Game Pass but my issue is only with the catastrophic store!

Errors
Games don't launch
Games uninstall themselves
Slow download

Tried once and never touch it again, it just ruins your experience!

I would love to see the Game Pass on Steam if I can download games and play directly through Steam

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
Considering Microsoft now employs two of my favorite studio heads in Shinji Mikami and Todd Howard to say nothing of the talent at Arkane, Obsidian, etc., absolutely. I would actually save money on games I would have bought on Steam at or near full price anyway.

RhyDin

Don't achievements disappear when you refund a game on Steam right now? I wonder if this same thing would happen if you played a GamePass game using Steam, then allowed your GamePass sub to lapse.

Yes it all about saving money for me i can even wait when the Big hitter start coming to gamepass like Starfield, Avowed, Fable before i subscribe again to play them games and just let my sub expired after i have beating them

Dream-Knife

Banned
No, probably not. I think subscriptions are bad for gaming. I already have MCC, and don't mind buying a horizon game every few years.

Arthimura

No, I don't even subscribe to Gamepass on my Xbox.

It's a model that doesn't work for me, I like to play specific games and spend some time with them, so in my experience when I subscribed to Gamepass, I'm better just buying the games I want to play, this way I can play at my own pace and have them forever.

Top Bottom