• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still be a gamer if only indie games were made?

Would you still be a gamer if only indie games were made?

• Yes

Votes: 159 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 67 29.6%

• Total voters

OrochiJR

Yes. Today there is a plethora of indie games worth checking out. I would even get to play more different games, as many indie games have more of a pick up and play nature without bothering with overly long cutscenes, tutorials, forced walking sections and similar rather annoying stuff.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean I primarily buy indie these days outside of Japanese titles and oddballs like Guardians of the Galaxy....I buy alot of indies.

I mean for example after the disappointment that was Back 4 Blood the indie alternative is giving people this.

Like its not even a competition in which title is the better game, I mean a battle pass that's just free and part of the game to reward players for just playing with no upgradable paid for tier, are they insane?

You don't get that from the publishers these days, it's only the indies that keep that feeling of reward in there titles now.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
My main series is Resident Evil. It would hurt losing that, but I would adapt. As long as Xbox Game Pass is still active I could try a new indie game whenever.

I don't really play indie games now, it would probably be interesting

Last edited:

Griffon

There's not a lot of worthwhile AAAs nowadays anyways.

What we call indie now are just AA games, with publishers to boot.

ANIMAL1975

In a hypothetical world where all AAA games are banned but only indie games could be made would you still be a gamer.

I thought about this after playing deaths door right after Disco Elysium and it made me realize how much i love games even without all of the AAA games. Hades for example is the best console game this year along with gems like little nightmare II and It takes two. As much as I love the GOWs, GTA's and Resident Evils of the world i'm realizing my gaming life isn't centered around those games.
Just give me an indie Killzone and im all good.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I am a gamer BECAUSE indie games (and titles from smaller teams in general) are made.

Most AAA is absolute garbage from a gameplay perspective.
High-polished garbage, nice to look at, but with no substance.
That focus on style over substance really isn't for me at all.

Every now and again, there are thankfully some exceptions, but if those wouldn't exist, there'd still be all the great smaller titles to enjoy.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Depends on the Game.
Technically Nintendo is An Indie so yeah.

Winner Dancing GIF

look at all the snowflakes who think all indie games are low effort and low-quality products. The indie scene has been stronger than ever!

BlackTron

I would still support gaming if there were only indies. Never played an indie before though unless Rocket League technically counts as one

If you ever play local couch multiplayer, then it's pretty much required that you get Towerfall. It is the best local MP since Smash for everyone from kids to seasoned veteran twitch gamers.

BbMajor7th

Most AAA's leave me cold these days. Too long and repetitive and not nearly interesting enough. There's still room for new ideas in smaller independent spaces and, as a result, they've ended up leading the industry: just look at Minecraft, PUBG and Among Us. Bigger publishers seemingly sit around waiting for smaller teams to come up with new ideas then either rip them off shamelessly, or just buy them out - ugly business.

cireza

Video games could stop being made tomorrow I would still be a gamer. There is already an infinite pool of games available for us to play.

I don't play many AAA already, anyway.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

If games stop being made, period. I'll still be a gamer, there are so many games already made that I'm yet to play.
But answering the question directly, yes, I love indie titles and if I'm honest, most of what I play today are indie titles,, that's why I love my Switch so much.

Shut0wen

Without AAA and GaS, indies would be free to explore other genres.
This is so far from being true, look at every indie thats been a hit lately, all have been hits due to exploring genres which triple studios wont touch with a barge pole

But to the thread in hand id have to say no, as much as i love idie games theres far more bad ones then good ones and alot of indie devs run the same way as triple A devs, literally follow trends in hoping for a hit, went from minecraft clones to do 2d scrollers then survival games to roguelite, yeah triple A atm kinda sucks but at least thetes afew decent ones per year, especially with what MS, sony and Nintendo throw out a year not to mention third party games

I spend WAY more time playing indies than i do tentpole releases. If the indy has leaderboards and daily runs a la Issac and Slay the Spire I'll be playing it for years.

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
I respect indie developers, but for me there is nothing like a game with high production values, like Metal Gear Solid 2 or GTA IV, with good technology, where there is a well thought out story, actors who bring these characters to life, orchestral music , etc.

Dark Star

I mostly play AAA titles / AA titles, stuff along the lines of TLOU, COD to Soulsborne, Resident Evil. The lowest budget games I haven't stopped playing for a year is Rocket League and Friday The 13th: The Game. So no, I don't play many "indie" games, but I've tried a bunch and usually have an OK time with them (limbo, inside, journey, cuphead, etc). I wouldn't give up gaming completely if Call of Duty, for example (200+ million dollar production) was erased from existence, but I would probably play my PS4 a lot less.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

I would stop gaming. I still have hopes with AAA

Don't think I can continue without new AAA titles from FromSoftware, Capcom, Naughty Dog, Sony Studio, Santa Monica, Playground Games, Platinum Games, Atlus, ID software, or even Bamco due to the recent success of Tales of Arise..

I mean AA games are fine too but they are borderline AAA like BG3 from Larian recently. Even my recent favourite Pathfinder Wotr isn't exaxtly indie.

As for indie, I mean sure yeah they are fun and have a great range of variety. I have a dozen indie games in my Steam like Death Gambit, Shadowrun, Blood of Werewolves, Vigil, Hard West, Guacamelee, Gris, Trine and so many more but I've never managed to finish any. They just lack some of the final polish I felt like.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Of course. Indies are my favorite games each gen, and it's how I started anyway. The industry was so young that everything was basically indie, save for maybe Atari. But once you learn of the dev cycles for those days, calling some Atari games indie might have actually been generous.

Wooxsvan

probably not. I really only play large budge games w/ deep systems. World of Warcraft, Destiny, Bloodborne etc. You could always argue if those didn't exist then how would our expectations be shaped, a little "ignorance is bliss" mindset. So if your saying knowing the capability of AAA vs Indie i would say no way to your question.

brian0057

Banned
Given that they're the ones making some of the best game of the last decade, yes. I would.
I'm currently tearing through Hollow Knight with an ear-to-ear grin on my face, even if the game is kicking my ass.

Impotaku

Indie games are the only frontier left where imagination & experimentation still exist yeah there's plenty of pixel art retro me too attempts but there's also some incredible titles that put AAA to shame. I could easily live without AAA stuff, but smaller games and indie titles are the ones that actually entertain me, been playing games for over 35+ years now i have pretty much seen it all so AAA with it's cutting edge graphics don't wow me once you get through that dazzling crust it's bland & tasteless inside. AAA is super safe basic bitch stuff is for your humdrum chads & beckys, the ones that want those blockbuster games churned out yearly with that "cinematic" feel AAA gaming rarely ever diverts from what's a low risk when it comes to doing something imaginitive.

Top Bottom