• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would releasing the next gen xbox 2 years earlier be a good strategy for xbox?

Will xbox release next gen earlier?

• Yes

Votes: 25 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 104 69.3%
  • Move to cloud

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Stop hardware

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Portable Xbox

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Aion002

Yes. If they make buying games on Xcloud a thing and makes the service better.

Imagine playing every next gen Xbox game on xcloud.

They could drop the Series X, sell the S for 150 usd or less and push every game with higher tech from the new console which they could charge for like 800 usd or more to make it really high end.

For sure the Series X and S owners would be pissed, but in the long run it could work... As long as Xcloud is able to work well enough.

I dunno if it's profitable, but it would sure make Gamepass a must.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The Xbox Series are far behind the PS5. I don't see the point of launching new hardware if you don't have a strong demand. Moreover, every game must work on Series S too, so your new hardware will be dragged down.
People keep saying that and yet we have games on PC with significant graphics design that can scale from Steam Deck to latest and greatest 4090/Intel i9.

Most publishers already have a port for PC. What MS needs to do is drop feature parity.

Jinzo Prime

They absolutely should! The "Xbox Series" brand is as dead as the "Wii U" and needs to go as soon as possible!

hyper visor OS approach
They need to use this to their advantage. Switching over to Windows 11 at the press of a button would give the next Xbox way more functionality than any console we have currently. Make a portable version while you at it to take on the Steam Deck as well.

The next Xbox should have a Call of Duty special edition available day one. They need to associate COD with the Xbox brand as soon as possible, and having an exclusive branded console is a cheap way of doing so.

ReBurn

Gold Member
People keep saying that and yet we have games on PC with significant graphics design that can scale from Steam Deck to latest and greatest 4090/Intel i9.

Most publishers already have a port for PC. What MS needs to do is drop feature parity.
Yep. Series S holds Series X back the way older cards are holding PC gaming back, which is really not at all.

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure how much it’d help, at least not if they keep calling it Xbox. The current hardware is fine, but they need to get some excitement around the brand.

Will be interesting to see if StarField etc. can get the ball rolling again. Not to mention CoD on GamePass alongside Xbox being in all the CoD marketing.

Last edited:
It would make the most sense for them to deliver something that can match the PS5 Pro in 2024. The issue is whether they can do so at a reasonable production cost.

KellyNole

No. The issue isn’t the hardware, it is games. They need to get a steady release stream of their games. They have enough studios at this point there should be a big title or two every year. Games is what drive a console, not the hardware

They should release some decent exclusives first.

Having the most powerful console doesn't matter when Nintendo is murdering everyone with ancient tablet tech by simply making better games than anyone else.

Yes yes do a Sega please. Starfield will be on playstation within a year of ms becoming a third party publisher.

GIF by Matthew Henry

StereoVsn

And they would have even better graphics if they did not have to run on weaker hardware.
That's immaterial and won't happen since devs will scale down.

The current situation though absolutely would allow for XSX Pro or XSX 2 games that can still run on XSX and XSS hardware as long as the devs don't have to have feature parity. BG3 co-op is a good example.

Neo_game

According to FTC info Microsoft is expecting new consoles in 2028. I think it should be 2027 but they need a Pro console before that as the gap is too big and Pro console will fill that void.

93xfan

Banned
In regards to the OP, Id rather they wait and get more use out of the current system.

I don’t like the idea of Pro models this gen and beyond. These people will whine 2 that the PS5 Pro is underpowered in 2026 and they’ll whine that the PS6 is underpowered and not a big leap in 2028.

No. If they're buying Activision, with this 10yr COD deal with PS, they will wait till that runs out and then launch with COD exclusive to their new platform.

They need time to fix their FP publishing issues. No amount of studio or publisher acquisitions seem to address the core systemic issues within MGS.

They need to get their house in order. Fix Halo. Renew gamer trust in their current leadership's ability to deliver with their current Series X/S platform, before worrying about next-gen.

Virtually no one outside of the most ardent Xbox fanboys will buy an Xbox next-gen if they don't provide a compelling enough reason to own an XSS/XSX by the end of this gen.

Fredrik

There wouldn't be a big enough difference between the new Xbox and the current Series X. And especially not compared to a PS5 Pro.
It wouldn't sell.
Yeah it would be a ”It’s more like a Xbox Series X1.5” scenario.
I don’t really like Pro consoles tbh, just makes the hobby more expensive, but if one does it then the other needs to do it as well. MS has planned it all extremely badly if they truly don’t have anything cooking.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They need to focus on the software side. I don't know if they have this already or not, but they need the engineering of the hardware to go along with the software. First they need to figure out the software experience they want to bring, and then integrante the hardware development with it. Fuck what Sony is doing, or Nintendo. Show us why it is you want to stay in this business.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Way to draw your sword and shield and jump to the defense of the trillion dollar company who happens to make your favorite plastic box of video game playing electronics.
How familiar are you with videogames? A lot of us just call them consoles, but it was a really good attempt to describe them.

So you think I’m defending MS and not calling into question his illogical claim that no one is interested in xbox? Or is English just not your first, or even second language?

Seems you’re both on offense, not me. Why don’t we take a break and get back to playing a plastic box of video game playing electronics.

Fredrik

Why so many no? Sure as hell worked for the 360.
It released 1 year earlier, not 2, and they had to endure the ”more like Xbox 1.5” period before PS3 launched at a surprisingly high price with a too complex architecture that made Xbox 360 the preferred choice among devs.
That scenario will not happen again.

For the shorter generation to work they need 100% backwards compatibility but no demands on devs to make Series S versions if they don’t want to which result in the Baldur’s Gate 3 scenario, devs need to be able to just write ”minimum requirement: Xbox Series X Gen 2” on the box.
But do the consumers want that? Not sure.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
They need to use this to their advantage. Switching over to Windows 11 at the press of a button would give the next Xbox way more functionality than any console we have currently.

This will never, ever happen.

MS don’t want an open platform. They’ve been trying (very unsuccessfully) to move away from that towards a more walled garden for a while. In the console space, this is even more imperative - a Window machine would be open to jailbreaking, piracy and 3rd party app stores / home brew. None of these make money for MS, so why would they allow it? To sell consoles that cost them money? Sony tried this with Linux on the PS3 - to the surprise of everyone - and the consequences but them in the arse real hard, to the point where they ended up eating a class-action lawsuit in order to reverse course.

Plus, of course, why would they do it? No-one wants to look at Word document on the family TV, so what is the profitable use case for MS?

Jinzo Prime

Plus, of course, why would they do it? No-one wants to look at Word document on the family TV, so what is the profitable use case for MS?
Firstly, this is something that I want. I want a box that can do it all, and an Xbox/Windows hybrid would be that. Secondly, it would be a unique feature that Nintendo or Sony could not copy. Xbox desperately needs to differentiate itself from its competition instead of being the 'lesser' PlayStation.

Thirdly, people don't pirate Xbox games. Look at the state of original Xbox and 360 emulation compared to GameCube or PS3 emulation. If anything, emulating games on an Xbox would be seen as a feature, look at the Steam Deck for example with marketing material including Yuzu screenshots before being removed.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Firstly, this is something that I want. I want a box that can do it all, and an Xbox/Windows hybrid would be that.

Okay, cool. It's still not gonna happen. A PC is already the "box that can do it all."

Secondly, it would be a unique feature that Nintendo or Sony could not copy. Xbox desperately needs to differentiate itself from its competition instead of being the 'lesser' PlayStation.

Yep. There are many features they could implement that Sony and Nintendo can't or won't. Doesn't mean they'll do them. This is one that they will never, ever do.

Thirdly, people don't pirate Xbox games.

Lol.

What are you even trying to prove here? MS have been able to put Windows on Xbox since at least the Xbox One, and they could have released a loss-leading home PC box at just about any point in their 40+ year existence. They haven't, and they won't. You can want it all you want, that's fine, but these "arguments" are just plain idiocy.

I still think MS should stick to their guns marketing-wise, and release new hardware every 5 years or so under the 'Series' line. Mandate that games work on the previous iteration, allowing gamers to skip every other hardware release if they need to, and we're already there with crossgen lasting as long as it did.

As an example, when the Xbox Series (blank) comes out in '25 the Series S mandate drops, but the Series S would still obviously work for cloud. When the Series (blank) releases in '30 the Series X mandate drops.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
They gotta do something, and quick……………………oh sorry, they bought my brain and are now trying to buy the video game industry.

BlackTron

Any new hardware from MS has to be concurrent with a total change in strategy/marketing to make any difference, the same way Wii U to Switch's completely changed with the branding, image, online strategy, etc.

I know Xbox had always been seen as "Dreamcast 2" but they start to seem like Sega just for being unable to stop trying to solve a problem with more and more hardware designs. Feel kinda bad for anyone who bought a One X

MarkMe2525

MS should shoot for a higher price point and find a niche in the "high end" console space. $699-$799 price range. Allow it to play PC Titles on MS store. I'm really just throwing shit at the wall.

skit_data

Imagine buying the One X thinking
"here come the crazy ass showpiece games!"
then having to upgrade to Series X thinking
"here come the crazy ass showpiece games!"
Gets one real showpiece game in Starfield and then they start marketing another console.

No I don't think they will, but I wouldn't put it past them to do such a thing.

the_master

If they have te hardware for that and they are far behind in market share, then it would be a chance to turn things around with a fresher start

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Launch a well designed system early but do it with big key titles ready to go. If they can get ahead of Sony by a year and launch with big AAA exclusives they should see it pay off.

Pedro Motta

I still don’t see Sony doing a Pro, or it’ll be a huge mistake.

The PS5 was supply constrained for 2020-2022. People couldn’t find the system. They finally got consoles on store shelves in 2023 and people are able to finally buy the console, but then in 2024 Sony’s like “Fuck you, buy the Pro!” That’s a 32X level optics mistake.
No, it's not. The Pro is 100% optional, and you're not locked away from new games just because it's available. Is Nvidia lacking optics when released a 4090 when I already bought a 3090Ti? NOPE.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't think it'd make a difference and like others say, I wouldn't be surprised if MS stopped releasing consoles all together and just made games available via the cloud or for other platforms. I don't think that's controversial either. It seems to be what they are gearing up for.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I wonder if MS will enter the next generation with a console. They made their games playable on nearly every device. And the Xbox sales aren't growing. They could cut all the costs that go into the creation and marketing of a system and just rake in cash with software and subscriptions. Not to mention Xcloud functions reasonably well.

The Series is objectively better than the Xbox One but this time they dropped the ball on software. They bought some major publishers and you won't see the fruits of that right away.

Top Bottom