• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

royox

I tried to play it but it's a total nope for me. I started playing wow during TBC era and for me it's always been "the best WoW era" but I think FFXIV spoiled WoW gameplay for me after 5 years without playing. Without the nostalgia google it's just an old MMO lacking millions of QOL features (FOR ME), guess that what people misses the most about "Classic" is that you really needed to colaborate with other players to do a lot of stuff and that feeling was lost after years. Also now I have "a life" and can't spend 1 hour just walking to complete 2 quests on the crossroads.

Enjoy it for me guys :_

Malakhov

Banned
Some people arent meant for classic, they're made for easy WoW or other easy mmos.

Context: Im in desolace and this guy sends me a /tell asking me to try to kill an elite for his quest and I accept. This is the result:

HT37yWi.jpg

He then proceeded to say im going back to retail and logged off :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Pejo

I was talking to my guild about this, but nobody is 100% sure - For Feral bear tank Druid, does DPS of your main hand weapon matter at all for bear damage, or should I just be looking for itemization (STAM, AGI, STR, Atk Power, Hit, etc) for Classic? Like would i be better off with a level 10 weapon with +5 STAM and 10 DPS or a level 18 weapon with +3 STAM and 19 DPS? So far I've been running a 1handed mace with STAM and STR, and that alliance quest reward offhand with stam and armor.

Malakhov

Banned
I was talking to my guild about this, but nobody is 100% sure - For Feral bear tank Druid, does DPS of your main hand weapon matter at all for bear damage, or should I just be looking for itemization (STAM, AGI, STR, Atk Power, Hit, etc) for Classic? Like would i be better off with a level 10 weapon with +5 STAM and 10 DPS or a level 18 weapon with +3 STAM and 19 DPS? So far I've been running a 1handed mace with STAM and STR, and that alliance quest reward offhand with stam and armor.
Weapon doesn't matter in feral bear mode, I remember the vanilla crowd raving about the pummeler in gnomeragan for feral bears (they farmed this for the 3 charges of 50% speed effect and kept tons) Though now it's not a very good option so go with the stats on your weapon.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Almost level 38 and only 56golds. Getting nervous about the mount, might have to use ghost wolf for a while still.

Iorv3th

I want to play it again. But nobody in my group of friends is into MMO's. I played the game for 5-6 months back before burning crusade came out and ended up doing most of the stuff solo or waiting around in towns trying to find a group to do certain things with.

I don't think I have the patience to do that now.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
I got level 40 but had 84 golds so that wasn't enough, especially after using 10 golds for my spells so I said fuck it for now and I'll use ghost wolf meanwhile and bought some new armor (shamans start using mail at lvl 40) and weapon from AH.

Now I sit at 65golds and will be patient.

Last edited:

Lowked

Neo Member
Haven’t played classic since vanilla but so far its been a pretty relaxing experience for me. Playing with some old friends is great too.

Grinchy

Banned
I never thought I'd be so into WOW that a DDoS attack could fuck up my Saturday. This is my first time playing it and it's reminding me enough of Everquest that I've gotten a little hooked.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Just dinged 18. I wanted to grind all day but the DDoS fucked it up. I played this for too many hours and the addiction is real. Leveling as prot like i did back in the day.

Pejo

DDoS is the lamest shit ever. Didn't that lizard squad group that did the PSN one all get caught and some jailtime?

Kenpachii

Some quality of life improvements.

/console ffxdeath 0

Removes the white glow when you are death, really annoying.

/console ffxglow 0

Removes the bloom and piss filters that make everything blurry. now its a sharp picture again.

Want to revert it back change the 0 to 1 in the command

Last edited:

Kenpachii

So playing a feral atm level 38, but thinking of shifting to balance. to try that out. probably going to be bad as many people keep telling me it but oh well :messenger_spock:

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Some quality of life improvements.

/console ffxdeath 0

Removes the white glow when you are death, really annoying.

/console ffxglow 0

Removes the bloom and piss filters that make everything blurry. now its a sharp picture again.

Want to revert it back change the 0 to 1 in the command
I'll try that ffxglow tonight

Also:

PSA you can change gore settings with /console violenceLevel 5

If you're at Max settings you'll get more blood when you hit/get hit.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hit 50 over the weekend, and oh how I've missed these god awful clown suits. Seriously, I look like an amalgamation of every class.

Yes, that is an Icemail Jerkin. It dropped and I ended up using it because it's kinda garbage and won't sell later. The very next day I got a Dazzling Longsword and the First Mate Hat, one of the rarest items in the entire game. I've used up every ounce of luck and will now get nothing at 60.

WUxRKWj.png

What's the best app to remote play this on an Android tablet or phone: Parsec? Moonlight (I have a GTX 1060)? Or something else?

Also is one app better for 4G while the other is better for WiFi?

TheContact

I don't have a whole ton of time to play so my Warlock is only lvl 44, but I'm enjoying the hell out of Classic. In Vanilla, I was in a hardcore raiding guild that wasn't good enough to kill C'Thun and broke up and I stopped raiding until TBC. I joined a guild called Premonition and we got a couple US firsts in Sunwell, which was a pretty difficult raid for the time. Now I'm just enjoying the journey and taking it slow. Guilds have already plowed through Molten Core and I saw an almost full tier-1 Warrior on our server when I was leveling in the Badlands yesterday. Raiding in Vanilla wasn't hard--a lot of people just didn't know what they're doing. A guild on my server cleared MC with only 30something people and a decent amount of them weren't even level 60, so if you're worried about picking a DPS class because you don't think you'll get chosen in a raid--don't. Any class/spec is viable, though if you're going to make something like an Ele shaman you'll just need to find a way to keep your mana up with an mp5 set and a lot of potions or something.

Pejo

Man you guys are way ahead of me. I did what I usually do in MMOs though, and made a character from every class and leveled it to ~20 to see what felt right. Going to stick with my Druid tank with my gf, and when she can't play I'll be doing Hunter. I forgot how fun they were in vanilla before everything was streamlined and simplified. The only downside is the 3 pet stable limit (and the last slot costing 5 gold).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Man you guys are way ahead of me. I did what I usually do in MMOs though, and made a character from every class and leveled it to ~20 to see what felt right. Going to stick with my Druid tank with my gf, and when she can't play I'll be doing Hunter. I forgot how fun they were in vanilla before everything was streamlined and simplified. The only downside is the 3 pet stable limit (and the last slot costing 5 gold).

I mained a hunter from 2005 onwards and am doing the same in Classic, it's a blast. Having different weapon skills and ammo, and ammo types to manage, your pet, feeding it, managing it, training it, taming new and rare pets out in the wild to get their abilities and transfer them to other pets, mana management... all RPG stuff that's been lost to the void over time. Not to mention the deadzone means you have to actually think about where you are at all times rather than just running straight into melee range and shooting things in the face, and not being able to move and autoshoot means you have to carefully time when you're going to do so. I'd missed everything.

gifgaf

Not to mention the deadzone means you have to actually think about where you are at all times rather than just running straight into melee range and shooting things in the face
Ha, I forgot hunters had a deadzone. My memory must be failing because I'm having so many of those "Wow I forgot about that" Moments while playing.

I wonder how popular Classic will become. IMO playing Classic has just shone a light on all the reasons why WoW was the best MMO of its time and how Instant gratification WoW has so much of the magic taken out..

Helios

Ha, I forgot hunters had a deadzone. My memory must be failing because I'm having so many of those "Wow I forgot about that" Moments while playing.
It's actually really good to remember that for mobs too. As a mage for example you can keep ranged mobs rooted in between their deadzone and their melee range. It's a lifesaver.

Pejo

So I was looking in to good pets to tame at lower levels, and there's a good cat I want in Mulgore (i'm alliance on PVP server btw so it's gonna be hell). Anyways, what am I not seeing about the pet Ability "Claw" vs. "Bite". Claw is slightly more specialized than bite, but it seems to do much less damage for the same amount of TP. Descriptions are:

Bite 3: Pet Level 16, Cost 7 TP. Bite the enemy, causing 24 to 28 damage.
Claw 3: Pet Level 16, Cost 7 TP. Claw the enemy, causing 12 to 16 damage.

It seems silly to even waste pet training points on Claw, unless there's some hidden considering I don't see. I guess since cats can use both you could slot 2 instant attack skills instead of waiting for cooldowns. Is that the only purpose?

DarkShinobi

Neo Member
I heard Fury until 40 then respec for classic, even as tank, but I haven't touched warrior since Cata.
Yes! That was the way I was going because the guides says that prot does not offer good damage while leveling and you can tank dungeons as Fury or arms.

AV

So I was looking in to good pets to tame at lower levels, and there's a good cat I want in Mulgore (i'm alliance on PVP server btw so it's gonna be hell). Anyways, what am I not seeing about the pet Ability "Claw" vs. "Bite". Claw is slightly more specialized than bite, but it seems to do much less damage for the same amount of TP. Descriptions are:

Bite 3: Pet Level 16, Cost 7 TP. Bite the enemy, causing 24 to 28 damage.
Claw 3: Pet Level 16, Cost 7 TP. Claw the enemy, causing 12 to 16 damage.

It seems silly to even waste pet training points on Claw, unless there's some hidden considering I don't see. I guess since cats can use both you could slot 2 instant attack skills instead of waiting for cooldowns. Is that the only purpose?

Bite is on a 10 second cooldown, don't bother, it's useless for dumping focus. Just take growl and claw and keep both on auto (obviously take growl off for dungeons).

If you want to stick to cats, you should look at getting a Starving Mountain Lion from Hillsbrad at level 23. This is because they're one of the few 1.2 attack speed pets in game, which comes in incredibly handy for dealing with casters in PVP as you can constantly knock their spell casts back. Broken Tooth is famously the 1.0 attack speed cat at level 37 but good luck taming a rare spawn that everyone else is after. It's barely worth it for the hours you need to put in, plus when ZG is out you can get a 1.0 attack speed bat anyways.

You should also consider wind serpents for their lightning breath, which is a ranged attack which I believe ignores armour. They're not my personal favourite but they are good.

P.S. Don't forget to go out and tame pets to learn your new ability ranks. Growl is learned from trainers, but for new ranks of claw you need to go out, tame the right pet, use it until you get a message saying "You have learned claw rank X", get rid of that pet and then teach the new rank to your "real" pet. Here's the earliest and easiest you can get the claw ranks:

4: Elder Ashenvale Bears at level 25 in Ashenvale
5: Scorpashi Lashers at level 34 in Desolace
6: Silt Crawlers at level 40 in Swamp of Sorrows, or Scorpid Hunters in Tanaris
7: Ironfur Patriarchs at level 48 in Feralas
8: Elder Shardtooths and Winterspring Screechers at level 57 in Winterspring

Do the above as soon as you hit those levels. The longer you leave it, the quicker your DPS will overtake your pet's to the point where they struggle to hold aggro.

BFA version of the above post: Tame literally any pet, it doesn't matter, you probably won't even use it.

Last edited:
I tried to play it but it's a total nope for me. I started playing wow during TBC era and for me it's always been "the best WoW era" but I think FFXIV spoiled WoW gameplay for me after 5 years without playing. Without the nostalgia google it's just an old MMO lacking millions of QOL features (FOR ME), guess that what people misses the most about "Classic" is that you really needed to colaborate with other players to do a lot of stuff and that feeling was lost after years. Also now I have "a life" and can't spend 1 hour just walking to complete 2 quests on the crossroads.

Enjoy it for me guys :_
What expansion did you stop playing wow out of curiosity? A person can play wow nowadays and the leveling process is painless and quick. Questing is ridiculously easy with markers in your map to show you where to go. Then you can join raids with the click of a button. Blizz has turned wow into a single player's dream in many respects, especially for introverts that just like to do their own thing. Flying mounts make traveling extremely easy and there are certain items that will transport you to specific locations in addition to using a hearthstone cooldown every 20 minutes. Gold is easy to come by, so grinding gold to buy a mount isn't an issue. The loot system in LFG is completely random and unbiased, so no one is rolling on gear you want. I haven't played wow since warlords of draenor, but I suspect things have only got easier for solo players.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Warrior prot? Is it viable to level ?

Not really, magic will always be our weakness. I've raided back in vanilla and leveled a prot from 1-60 killing mobs and questing. What's good about it is you can hitch a ride into a group dungeon easily if grinding solo gets boring.
I'm mainly doing it this time around to derust my skills.

royox

What expansion did you stop playing wow out of curiosity?

Started when BC was released, stopped on Cataclysm after firelands. SWTOR was released and as a huge star wars fan I had to play that. When FFXIV ARR was released I tried it and i'm still playing. It's perfect for casual playing and doing Hardcore when I want.

Pejo

Bite is on a 10 second cooldown, don't bother, it's useless for dumping focus. Just take growl and claw and keep both on auto (obviously take growl off for dungeons).

If you want to stick to cats, you should look at getting a Starving Mountain Lion from Hillsbrad at level 23. This is because they're one of the few 1.2 attack speed pets in game, which comes in incredibly handy for dealing with casters in PVP as you can constantly knock their spell casts back. Broken Tooth is famously the 1.0 attack speed cat at level 37 but good luck taming a rare spawn that everyone else is after. It's barely worth it for the hours you need to put in, plus when ZG is out you can get a 1.0 attack speed bat anyways.
Great advice and helpful post, thank you!

The pet I was going to tame last night was actually one of the 1.2 atk speed pets. The Rake, in Mulgore (level 10). As an Alliance NE - level 21, it was daunting to go in there and do it without getting ganked repeatedly, so in preparation I unequipped all of my gear except my gun and did the naked swim/run from Westfall/Booty Bay/Ratchet/Barrens/Mulgore. Ended up only getting killed once by a level 23 hunter in the barrens, which I could have easily beat if I had gear and a pet, but I digress, it could have been so much worse. It took about a half hour of killing the prowlers to get him to spawn, ice trapped him into a tame and hearthed TF out of there. I'm really excited to level and build him up tonight. I have been farming all of the relevant skills as soon as they become available, but I still need to grab Claw 3, so he's stuck with 2 for now. It gives me some time anyways because I need about 1.5 gold before I can afford that last pet slot.

I wouldn't mind a wind serpent, but I'm gonna stick with my worg wolf and cat for now, at least until I farm all the skills, then who knows. I really wish we had more than 3 pet slots, but I love every other piece of classic hunter.

Reactions: AV
Started when BC was released, stopped on Cataclysm after firelands. SWTOR was released and as a huge star wars fan I had to play that. When FFXIV ARR was released I tried it and i'm still playing. It's perfect for casual playing and doing Hardcore when I want.
That's cool. Imo cataclysm has been the worst expansion out of all of them. I was happy to move on to Mists of Pandaria. It is probably my fav after BC and Wrath.

Kenpachii

K guys decided to go for moonkin and test the waters out, really liking it so far. Specially aoe potential.

b537eaaa8bf4b2361c984cb77d9df52d.gif

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
My Shaman is 48 now, I'd like an alt mage or warlock but I told myself not to create any alt until I'm 60. It's a borefest leveling as enhancement, can't wait to turn resto at 60.

AV

Bans rolling out for those that exploited the dungeon boss layer exploit - 1 month ban and illegitimate items revoked. Ooft. Hope no-one here was dumb enough to try it.

Elcid

Banned
I heard Fury until 40 then respec for classic, even as tank, but I haven't touched warrior since Cata.
I leveled fine as a warrior in Vanilla and am doing so again. You instagroup for almost anything and can take on tougher single mobs as a prot. Warrior but the fights are definitely more endurance based. Plus casters are always looking for someone to protect them.

Kenpachii

Bans rolling out for those that exploited the dungeon boss layer exploit - 1 month ban and illegitimate items revoked. Ooft. Hope no-one here was dumb enough to try it.

Honestly people even believe this shit from blizzard is just amazing to me.

They can't ban people because the money is already dispersed on the servers through lots of means. The economy is wrecked because of it. Anybody that has a clue heavy profited out of this and there is no way for blizzard to know or do anything about it.

Obviously that one guild that kills a raid boss 300 times in a week is getting a month ban, but money farmers all made massive bank on this bug already for weeks and disperse there money so bliz can't touch it.

What if i exploit a pattern drop on a alt account, farm loads of them with the exploit sell them on the market for super cheap towards my main and then resell it + people learn the pattern? yea nothing can be done about it.

The only way to solve this shit, is to reroll the servers basically or start new servers. Obviously they don't wanna do this because vanilla would be dead tommorow.

It's a huge fuckup and frankly there simple "oh we will ban people its a non issue guys" is just laughable at best.

There is no fair competition at this point anymore, It's all about who's the best exploiter in this day of age. Also they did allow raid teams to do multiple kills and not even remove there loot etc. Esfan or whatever he's called even admitted this on his stream with his guild.

Servers, phasing, populations etc.

Honestly i wonder why they didn't put more effort into actually get some proper server solutions going. Like why even bother with "layers" which is nothing but cross realm in a segmented way.

Why not just create 1 server with 300 channels ( aka layers ), aka ( crossrealms ) so people can play on whatever server they want, with whatever population for that time, without having issue's with playing on a dead server etc. one big economic etc.

Last edited:

Pejo

I was kinda hoping they'd scan the logs and put the people into a negative money amount for anything they made since they exploited. Some mobile games do this, and I think its great. That way if they made say 100g and spent it, they'd now be at -100 and they have to make it back just to get out of the hole.

Anyways, Kenpachii Kenpachii has a good point, the damage is done by now, and prices are inflated, the economy had a huge influx of gold that has been unchecked, without any fair way to fix it. The only 100% fair thing they could do is rollbacks, but that would piss off so many people.

Who could have ever predicted that layering was going to be a mistake....hmm.....

AV

Honestly people even believe this shit from blizzard is just amazing to me.

They can't ban people because the money is already dispersed on the servers through lots of means. The economy is wrecked because of it. Anybody that has a clue heavy profited out of this and there is no way for blizzard to know or do anything about it.

Obviously that one guild that kills a raid boss 300 times in a week is getting a month ban, but money farmers all made massive bank on this bug already for weeks and disperse there money so bliz can't touch it.

What if i exploit a pattern drop on a alt account, farm loads of them with the exploit sell them on the market for super cheap towards my main and then resell it + people learn the pattern? yea nothing can be done about it.

The only way to solve this shit, is to reroll the servers basically or start new servers. Obviously they don't wanna do this because vanilla would be dead tommorow.

It's a huge fuckup and frankly there simple "oh we will ban people its a non issue guys" is just laughable at best.

There is no fair competition at this point anymore, It's all about who's the best exploiter in this day of age. Also they did allow raid teams to do multiple kills and not even remove there loot etc. Esfan or whatever he's called even admitted this on his stream with his guild.

Servers, phasing, populations etc.

Honestly i wonder why they didn't put more effort into actually get some proper server solutions going. Like why even bother with "layers" which is nothing but cross realm in a segmented way.

Why not just create 1 server with 300 channels ( aka layers ), aka ( crossrealms ) so people can play on whatever server they want, with whatever population for that time, without having issue's with playing on a dead server etc. one big economic etc.

It's really not anywhere near as bad as you're making out. Have some people benefited? Sure, but the majority of people abusing this bug were doing it to farm BiS items and to get themselves gold. It'd be incredibly easy to check who's got what illegitimately and remove that stuff. Yes, some of it's been dispersed into the economy, but people are (as usual) just looking for any excuse to call the game wrecked or ruined. Most people playing the game don't give a shit. Anyone that wants gold so desperately is just gonna buy it from Chinese farmers when the price drops low enough anyway, it's WoW. Gold fuckery is completely unavoidable, this is just one of those instances. Unless our server is some radical exception, the economy's pretty tight.

This exploit aside, layering's been working as intended, and that comes with downsides. You can absolutely abuse it for things like quest mobs, but if everyone has the same advantage, is it really an advantage..? They've already said that the majority of servers are now running on a handful of layers, and it really shows - I run into familiar faces constantly. For most servers, I've all faith that they can remove it before phase 2 as intended. Some of the megaservers are going to be a real issue though, I think Herod still has 2 hour queues.

I still don't think it was a mistake. Simply acknowledging that some servers would eventually die and merge would be a really sloppy way to handle a known problem, it's not what businesses like this are going to do. They're always going to try and find actual solutions to the problem and layering has mostly been a success in that regard. The doomsayers will simply latch on to this one unfortunate exploit as the latest reason that Classic will fail, it'll come and go like everything else has:

Not enough people are interested
Blizzard aren't capable of it
It's just nostalgia bro
It will be unplayable for days at launch
Layering will make the world feel empty
People will get bored after 1 week
No 2 weeks
No 3 weeks

The economy is ruined and the game isn't worth playing

Like clockwork.

Top Bottom