• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

I really wanted to play it but there is no way in hell I'm paying monthly for one game. You can't justify it in 2019.
You can get 60 day-codes on eBay for about 20 bucks. Still a monthly fee but less than the standard and you'll never forget to cancel your subscription that way.

Last edited:

Helios

Light's Hope had their shutdown event.
From /r/wowservers
For 5 hours if u went into .org you were slaughtered by elite mobs or bosses, you could ask a gm to morph you into something stronger or gain size, etc. the pandas, turtles, and ragnaros’s you see are actual players. They also opened the emerald dream here are some more pics

x4b6Qhf.png

7Ns5DzO.png

VHMoMzB.png

sfHpSHT.png

dFKeNAI.png
hE0XreE.png
AVoqHnW.png
lYTKt8y.png
fTO69Od.png
w9A9zC0.png
GahfJYk.jpg

Helios

13 hours till we go home, bois. I still don't know what server I'm going to roll on :D
Do players behave differently, or communicate differently, or what?
Both. Players communicate and act as their character would and try their best not to break character. There are also events that they organize. It's extremely nerdy but some people find a lot of joy in it.
I can't find a better example right now but here's two guys that made a series out of role-playing on Moonguard.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm kinda lame. I do not understand what an RP server actually is. I know RP is Role Playing, but what does that mean? Do players behave differently, or communicate differently, or what?

Barely any difference whatsoever, aside from the roleplayers. People acting like their character, saying and doing things "in-character" - you don't have to RP on them at all though. The naming enforcement is stricter so you can't have stupid names like Druidmanlol or whatever, but generally roleplayers will go and roleplay privately away from other people. In my experience RP realms generally have friendlier people (and more Alliance) but there's less people that are actually good at the game.

Barely any difference whatsoever, aside from the roleplayers. People acting like their character, saying and doing things "in-character" - you don't have to RP on them at all though. The naming enforcement is stricter so you can't have stupid names like Druidmanlol or whatever, but generally roleplayers will go and roleplay privately away from other people. In my experience RP realms generally have friendlier people (and more Alliance) but there's less people that are actually good at the game.

I second this, I have been playing on Wyrmrest accord (will likely play grobb on classic) on retail and only tend to do light RP. Out and about in the world, you may not even notice it. It's most noticeable in the main cities where instead of for example everybody sitting motionless in Trade District (Which still happens on RP servers) the rest of the city is populated by players sitting and talking in the taverns or on curbs and benches and you have the holier than thou paladins congregating around the Cathedral district . You also get a bunch of different events set up by players that don't exist on non-rp servers like on Wrymrest we have a guild called stormwind university which roleplays as well... a university and they do stuff like open for all lore lessons in different areas of the world. As well as hosting debates based on stuff happenings in the lore. They also do like a poetry/literature night where you listen to people recite poems, stand up comedy, warcraft-ized folk songs and stuff like that. If you can get into it, it can be quite immersive and gives you something to do when not doing pvp or pve.

Last edited:

LukeAJN

6 hours left guys and gals. Be interesting to see how long I stay up for tonight considering its launching at 11 pm where I live.

Pejo

My GF and I are all signed up and updated for Classic tonight and honestly I'm pretty excited. I logged in to my existing WoW account to dick around a bit yesterday and try to re-familiarize myself with the game a bit, but that was a bad move. I logged in to a character in Dalaran, all my talents were reset, all my inventory was fucked. Nothing looked familiar since the whole interface changed since I last played (WotLK), and I just felt overwhelmed.

How are bear tanks in early Wow? I can't remember and I mostly played Paladin when I started the original game, but I wanted to try Druid this time. If bear tanking sucks in the initial iteration, I might just play balance.

Helios

How are bear tanks in early Wow? I can't remember and I mostly played Paladin when I started the original game, but I wanted to try Druid this time. If bear tanking sucks in the initial iteration, I might just play balance.
Balance is in a really bad shape. You can play it, but you're never going to outperform a mage. Which might be fine depending on the type of playstyle you and your guild are going for. With 40 people you can have a few that are "slacking". A bigger problem would be in 5-man.
Bear is viable and definitely can tank dungeons. For raids, you can MT most fights but depending on your guild you're probably going to be relegated to Off-Tanking. Do bear in mind that you do bring a few other utilities that warrior do not have especially if you know how to play your class right.
Either way, AV AV had a really good short summary in the thread breaking down every class.

Last edited:

Pejo

Balance is in a really bad shape. You can play it, but you're never going to outperform a mage. Which might be fine depending on the type of playstyle you and your guild are going for. With 40 people you can have a few that are "slacking". A bigger problem would be in 5-man.
Bear is viable and definitely can tank dungeons. For raids, you can MT most fights but depending on your guild you're probably going to be relegated to Off-Tanking. Do bear in mind that you do bring a few other utilities that warrior do not have especially if you know how to play your class right.
Either way, AV AV had a really good short summary in the thread breaking down every class.
Thanks for the info and the link. I'm actually relieved that bear tanking dungeons is viable in vanilla, as that's the direction I wanted to go. I'm not sure either of us has the time to get back into raiding, so being able to tank dungeons is fine. My gf is playing a priest, so we figured this would be an optimal setup for us, as tank/healer.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Thanks for the info and the link. I'm actually relieved that bear tanking dungeons is viable in vanilla, as that's the direction I wanted to go. I'm not sure either of us has the time to get back into raiding, so being able to tank dungeons is fine. My gf is playing a priest, so we figured this would be an optimal setup for us, as tank/healer.

I played bear tank in vanilla and was one of only a few people on the server to do so. It's an uphill battle. All raid gear sets for druids are resto-based, so you have to scrape together bits and pieces to get the best gear, like Malfurion's Blessed Bulwark. You'll need to focus on high armor items, since that's what will keep you alive. Consider taking up Enchanting right away so you can eventually craft this: https://classicdb.ch/?item=11811

You really have to pay attention to your dodge % and armor value. It's not like current WoW, where bear tanks are an official and sanctioned spec with many tanking-centric, damage mitigation tools. In Vanilla, you have high dodge and armor or you die.

Pejo

I played bear tank in vanilla and was one of only a few people on the server to do so. It's an uphill battle. All raid gear sets for druids are resto-based, so you have to scrape together bits and pieces to get the best gear, like Malfurion's Blessed Bulwark. You'll need to focus on high armor items, since that's what will keep you alive. Consider taking up Enchanting right away so you can eventually craft this: https://classicdb.ch/?item=11811

You really have to pay attention to your dodge % and armor value. It's not like current WoW, where bear tanks are an official and sanctioned spec with many tanking-centric, damage mitigation tools. In Vanilla, you have high dodge and armor or you die.
I've read up on it a bit, but it's hard to sift through all the info about it since vanilla. A common thing I see a lot is that I want to farm Manual Crowd Pummeler from Gnomeregan and I have seen several references to that trinket you linked for the armor stat.

https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc/druid/-5552501303022151-54002 how does this build look, since you actually played bear quite a bit?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I've read up on it a bit, but it's hard to sift through all the info about it since vanilla. A common thing I see a lot is that I want to farm Manual Crowd Pummeler from Gnomeregan and I have seen several references to that trinket you linked for the armor stat.

https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc/druid/-5552501303022151-54002 how does this build look, since you actually played bear quite a bit?

That looks good. The only thing I'd change is to go 5/5 in Furor at the cost of an additional point in Improved Enrage in the Resto tree. The reason is you want to guarantee you get the rage when shapeshifting, as going bear form and starting with zero rage 20% of the time can cause wipes in dungeons when you are trying to do some tricky stuff like bash/stun, self heal, then back to bear form.

I would actually potentially not put any points into Improved Enrage, because Enrage lowers your armor value quite a bit, which is especially deadly for bear tanks. I think I put the last point into Feline Swiftness, just for quality of life boost and some usefulness when going cat form to quickly move around in a dungeon and/or grab a stray mob that is targeting someone else.

Helios

DMGnjlI.png

Hope no one was planning on playing on Firemaw the first few days :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Holy shit, Kungen is coming back too

Last edited:
I cant even add a subscription to try it out right now. I just need to taste it so I can get it off my mind and focus on the things that matter.

LukeAJN

14000 in the que aheah of me but only a 6 minute of wait to get onto the server apparently. We'll see how true that ends up being lol

Edit: It's jumped up to 3.5 hours now lol

Last edited:

Pejo

damn, for some reason I thought the servers opened at 5 o'clock pacific. It looks like I'm just going to be queued for a few hours.

LukeAJN

Me and quite a few others seem to be getting stuck at the loading screen until we get the world server down message😢

I'm 25,000 in queue. That says a lot. After being in an almost 2K queue to pay for game time. This is the EU. And it's past MIDNIGHT.

Last edited:

Eyeron

Ugh. Hope I can get some time in tonight. My server (Fairbanks) is full so I shouldn’t get my hopes up. Can’t wait to get my first green item after hours of noob questing.

Malakhov

Banned
I got in, in the very first minute it launched. Took me 30 minutes to kill 2 boars so i logged off. Now there is like a 2 hours queue to log in, heh.

Didn't really knew it was lauching today(thought it was Tuesday ) but it's been fun reading wow forums meltdown over queue times while at work.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This game is the worst piece of shit in the existence of video games. Fucking Blizzard and their stupid idiotic server management. Fuck off you fucks.

Pejo

It's amazing that they didn't plan this launch just a bit better. I could understand 10000~ queues if this was tech from 2004, but christ man, how is a 15 year old game on brand new (likely cloud-based) servers bottle-necking this hard. I was excited when I got off of work at 3:30, now it's 8PM and I haven't even broken 1K in the queue yet.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This game is the worst piece of shit in the existence of video games. Fucking Blizzard and their stupid idiotic server management. Fuck off you fucks.

So is this a joke based on old WoW Forum Posts? I really hope it is, otherwise... to take a page out of the mental asylum: Yikes.

It's amazing that they didn't plan this launch just a bit better. I could understand 10000~ queues if this was tech from 2004, but christ man, how is a 15 year old game on brand new (likely cloud-based) servers bottle-necking this hard. I was excited when I got off of work at 3:30, now it's 8PM and I haven't even broken 1K in the queue yet.
They were not prepared for the fact everybody and their mothers wanted to play Wow Classic. there are queues not only to get into the servers but to buy the game online and even to buy the subscription.

Last edited:

Skyr

The only contact with wow I had was playing the beta shortly before release in 2004. Weirdly enough I still remember a lot of shit from the orc starting area, as it was one of the first games I played with my new broadband connection. Just went super nostalgic watching someone play it on twitch.

And lol @ the queues. That’s just insane.

Sign

Well, I got to play about four and a half hours and outside of the very rare sound hiccup and the quest log occasionally failing to track quests . . .game is buttery smooth. I am on a laptop from like late 2011 and the game runs surprisingly well. My ping was great also.

Unfortunately, the Eastern Kingdom seems to have collapsed and I got thrown into queue. I thought Blizzard's favoritism for the horde was strong, but we lad.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I think I'm gonna give it time for the dust to settle with the servers and let the populations establish themselves. I don't want to wind up on a low pop server because a bunch of the tourists all left, and I also want to avoid a super high pop server like the plague.

Well, I got to play about four and a half hours and outside of the very rare sound hiccup and the quest log occasionally failing to track quests . . .game is buttery smooth. I am on a laptop from like late 2011 and the game runs surprisingly well. My ping was great also.

Unfortunately, the Eastern Kingdom seems to have collapsed and I got thrown into queue. I thought Blizzard's favoritism for the horde was strong, but we lad.
Can't wait to try the game out on my new computer. In BFA I couldn't maintain 60fps in the newer areas on my older computer at high settings but when I tried the stress test in June it had 90 fps and it should be even higher with pristine image quality on my new computer. I'm actually thinking of maybe picking up a 144 hrtz monitor tomorrow as I'll be in town in the morning.

Sign

Can't wait to try the game out on my new computer. In BFA I couldn't maintain 60fps in the newer areas on my older computer at high settings but when I tried the stress test in June it had 90 fps and it should be even higher with pristine image quality on my new computer. I'm actually thinking of maybe picking up a 144 hrtz monitor tomorrow as I'll be in town in the morning.

I can't really speak to BFA, unfortunately. I used this laptop up til legion and ran into serious memory issues since I'm only sitting on 4gigs. However, considering the sparseness of vanilla you should be able to tear it up with a new computer. The BFA client seems very well optimized for this version of the game compared to my experience in legion / private servers.

Pejo

Finally got in and played around a bit. Just some thoughts:

+No quest markers actually makes you read the quest text and figure stuff out. It's easy stuff, but I already like it better. Quests aren't just tedium, there's a bit of story behind them. It's been so long since I had to actually read a quest in WoW, I forgot how good the lore was.
+Performance and graphics/sound fidelity are really good. I don't think I ever played WoW before with a full home theater, but it's got some great stuff. Graphics are definitely dated, but still look great with the art style. Game runs buttery fucking smooth with everything maxed.
+The way they handled the starter areas. They felt populated but not overcrowded. Tons of quest mobs to kill, stuff to gather. I wasn't hindered by other players.
+Simplicity has a certain charm. You get a handful of skills before level 10 and the game gives you enough breathing room to understand them all. I actually like slow leveling in games as it gives you a chance to master what you just learned, and find the uses for it. FFXI was similar in this regard.

-Queues. I mentioned this before, but c'mon Bliz, no excuse for this in 2019.

That's all I have to say after 1 night of playing. I didn't do much, just started in the Nigh Elf area and helped my gf through the initial quests. We stopped at Dolanaar since it got late, but it's everything I hoped it would be so far. I hope they get this queue bullshit sorted out. A few hundred is acceptable but 10,000 is fucking ridiculous. I waited to play for 5 hours before I got to even log in. If they hope to recapture the nostalgia seekers, they have got to sort out the server load. I can't imagine a super casual player sticking around through that kind of delay just to play a 15 year old game.

Robins

Played an hour this morning in the UK without any issues. With low traffic, really enjoying it so far.

Currently a level 4 dwarf 💪

Malakhov

Banned
Finished after a few hours, got to level 9 with my Shaman and it ran great with no lag. Can't wait to play again tomorrow.

Top Bottom