• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long Fallen Dynasty has sold over 1 million units & has reached over 3.8 million players!

That’s not how devs are paid for GP deals based on known examples. It’s a flat fee with some variable part based on players. Of course we don’t know every GP deal made.
it depends on the game like Phil said, if I remember correctly. BUT MS uses a lot of telemetry

for single-player games we could speculate is a flat rate, for Publishers of single-player games, they could think that releasing on GP Day One will mean every player through Game Pass is a copy sold. (this is ridiculous of course) but Publishers are here to make money and not give away their games.

MS certainly is looking at the data and making decisions based on that and because MS is very opaque with this data, we only are able to speculate.

Ozriel

M$FT
MS pays good money for day 1 GP releases. It could've easily been a $40 million pay day.

Very very unlikely to have exceeded $20 million.
Most probably less.

for single-player games we could speculate is a flat rate, for Publishers of single-player games, they could think that releasing on GP Day One will mean every player through Game Pass is a copy sold. (this is ridiculous of course) but Publishers are here to make money and not give away their games.

This is literally impossible, since there’s substantial data out there on GP performance that will be on the table immediately negotiations start.
Publishers are here to make money, but nobody would assume or even claim every player is equivalent to a copy sold. C’mon.

We’ve seen the sums paid to the Cooking Simulator devs, where MS paid for around 30k unit sales across PC and Console.

Is this good? That doesn't sound like a lot of sales or people playing on gamepass to me. What are expectations? Do they consider a couple million sales good for this game. Nioh sold way more, so just not sure.

Microsoft isn’t offering this deal to every 3rd party dev. Look at the games they’ve been bringing in.
Wo Long, Atomic Heart, Outriders, Plague’s Tale. All games made on a relatively modest budget, and were inclusion In GP wouldn’t break the bank.

Pretty much why it sounds ridiculous anytime you guys claim the service is losing tons of money. They’re not paying THAT much in terms of third party content.
Yeah, gamepass works for low-mid budget AAA games. Games that wouldn't sell well at launch because of a lack of notoriety. People keep mentioning Microsoft should "money-hat" new big games to compete with Sony. It's just not financially feasible to put big AAA titles on gamepass, unless they reach crazy subscriber numbers. And I don't see Microsoft having "exclusive" deals with big titles that are not on Gamepass day 1

thief183

I had a blast with the game, it is easier than nioh but at the same time way more fun. I mean, nioh was good but way to close to DS to have his own identity, wo long feels more "sekiro" but at the same time is faster and flashier, can't wait for the expansion.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I honestly would like to see steam refund numbers. I can see lots of people giving up after the first boss and refunding it.

Top Bottom