• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Complete Edition launches February 7 | Includes the base game and all downloadable content

Wo-Long-Fallen-Dynasty-CE-Ann_01-12-24-768x432.jpg

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Team NINJA will release Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Complete Edition digitally for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam and Microsoft Store on February 7 for 7,480 yen, the companies announced.

It will include the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty base game, expansions “Battle of Zhongyuan,” “Conquerer of Jiangdong,” and “Upheaval in Jingxiang,” bonus downloadable content items “Qinglong Armor Set,” “Zhuque Armor Set,” and “Baihu Armor Set,” and the Complete Edition purchase bonus downloadable content item “Shiji” (reveals the locations of flags on the mini map).
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is available now for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam and Microsoft Store. It is also available via Xbox Game Pass.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
That's a mighty bold statement, friend.
Trust me, that's how good this game is. Performance issues at launch and unnecessarily complicated story about Chinese dynasty hold it back for some but it's the only soulslike I liked and finished(including Lies of P).
Never played the dlcs are they great?
I only played the base game because it was on gamepass so I'm wondering about the dlcs too.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Never played the dlcs are they great?

As a whole, yes.

As per usual each of the 3 pieces is of varying "value" due to the way they build out from the base game. So first DLC was considered a bit disappointing, the second great as it added the bones of the endgame, and the third just pretty good as it rounded everything off.

Structurally its basically a cross between Nioh1's DLC (1000 "floor" final dungeon system with new upgrades, buffs, and gear tiers) and what they did in FFO where its fleshed out a bit more than just a massive boss rush type of deal.

As with all their other post-Nioh titles, they cumulatively add a ton of replayability and longevity. To the extent that in my view they basically "make" the game. As in crerate a vastly better experience than just the base release as in everything feels much more balanced all round, with enough content to keep you playing for hundreds of hours.

FrankWza

What were people's thoughts on this one? I'm after something like this or perhaps Nioh.
The Nioh games are awesome. I'd play them and then wo long and by the time you're done, RotR will be on sale. If you go backwards Nioh 1 might look a little dated but if you don't care about that just play RotR first. They do DLC so you can wait and get complete editions like this for less if you do

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The pc demo had a massive stutter problem. I wonder if it is fixed.

Not sure, but probably. TN are very reliable when it comes to post-launch support. Its one of the reasons I feel confident buying their games day#1; I know that its going to updated frequently in addition to the year-long cycle of DLC.

Check the website, as they maintain very detailed change-logs for every patch both major and minor.

Honestly, in my view they do things right by their customers. Which isn't to say they are always perfect, but any problems or fuck-ups are usually dealt with promptly and I always feel like the final form of each game shows that they have actively worked to make the game the best it can be over the year.

The only thing I'd say is that the way they do things is really keyed towards pleasing their most dedicated players, which kinda works to their detriment overall as normal reviewers simply don't have the hundreds of hours play-time needed to really appreciate the depth of the game as it expands out from its initial release.

I love FROM's games, but Team Ninja's Souls-likes have consistently given me more hours of enjoyment in every single instance since Nioh. Which considering that's 4 games each with year-long expansion seasons in 5 years is absolutely outstanding.

Last edited:

cireza

Loved the base game, got it on release with the Steelbook. It was already a pretty long game with a ton of content, and I didn't even start New Game content.

Gameplay was excellent, and I really enjoyed atmosphere/music and level-design was fine overall. You can sense Team Ninja's skill in making first an foremost games that feel good to play and that are fun.

Might pick up all DLCs and make another run someday.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

I lost interest after the Lu Bu boss, which was ok. The game is mostly a boring slog, story that you can't follow. The combat is decent, but I preferred NiOh as it has more depth.

Aion002

What were people's thoughts on this one? I'm after something like this or perhaps Nioh.
If you like parrying and dodging, Wo Long it's the best there is.

If you like having many build options with different play-styles, a lot of loot and arguably the best souls like battle system, the Nioh games are perfect.

However, both games lacks on level design, specially compared to From Software games, but gameplay wise they're amazing.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lu Bu boss is the highlight of this game. Top 3 Soulsborne bosses of all time.

The DLC bosses make Lu Bu look like a scrub lol. They are ruthless! And really force you to not only git gud at the fundamentals, but really think about your build.

Last edited:
The Nioh games are awesome. I'd play them and then wo long and by the time you're done, RotR will be on sale. If you go backwards Nioh 1 might look a little dated but if you don't care about that just play RotR first. They do DLC so you can wait and get complete editions like this for less if you do
Just got done playing Nioh 1/2. Holy shit those games are all timers. I do not understand how they are not as popular the Dark Souls games or even a game like Diablo. The combat is just another level of good, with much better RPG elements

Super stoked for Rise of the Ronin. This could be Team Ninja's version of Elden Ring. They have been working on it off and on since 2016 and it's their first attempt at open world. Hopefully Team Ninja doesn't water down the combat for the casuals as the open world should bring them in. And even if the open world is average, like most Ubisoft games, It will still be an all timer for me because Team Ninja combat is phenomenal

I still gotta play wo-long, hopefully before ROTR comes out

Last edited:

stn

Nioh, and Stranger of Paradise are better. Wo is still pretty solid, I recommend it to any action fan. I 100%'d the game and all the DLC and had a solid time.

Thief1987

Not even close.

Sekiro is awesome. Both Nioh games are awesome. Wo Long is a slog with boring AI characters. Not even in the same league.
Agree that they are not in the same league, but it's opposite of what you said. Wo Long is a good game even if it's weaker than both Nioh. Sekiro on the other hand? Pure trash.

Ibara

Wo long is not a bad game but like its combat is very simple, like sekiro there was strategy in how you broke enemy stamina and chipped away health to finish off bosses. In wo long all enemy attacks are dodgable and there isnt that much strategy you basically parry everything and you’ll eventually break it
Also magic is pretty broken in wo long

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wo long is not a bad game but like its combat is very simple, like sekiro there was strategy in how you broke enemy stamina and chipped away health to finish off bosses. In wo long all enemy attacks are dodgable and there isnt that much strategy you basically parry everything and you’ll eventually break it
Also magic is pretty broken in wo long

Nah, just not true. Even the best endgame magic builds aren't optimal for anything but flashy fun.

Magic is useful because first application of many element based effects can cause short staggers giving time to reposition or interrupt the bosses going into summon mode stances. This however is not stagger-breaking, which is achieved based on type of attack.

The most impactful aspect tends to be comparative morale level, as that dramatically shifts the power dynamic and needs to be worked around in some sort of tactical manner. This is particularly an issue when dealing with morale defecits versus strongly elementally aligned bosses like Taisi Ci, who will not give you any breathing space once he powers up.

Some bosses attack so fast and hard that unless you have true god-tier skills and/or a shitton of practice getting timings down dodging everything is a massive stretch.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Amazing game, love it most out of all their games.
The dlcs are great too but they have some buuuullshit final bosses; haven't fought the third one yet but the second dlc boss really requires the use of the element system (and then it's piss easy tbh).
The extra weapons are great too, the fists kungfu style is stylish as hell and is unbeatable up close, and the long sword is just strong as hell.

There also have been many updates that added free stuff, inluding a cross over fight with a boss from nioh, and they made summons have much more health, so they don't die so quickly against bosses.

It's also an xbox play anywhere title, so buying it gets you both console an pc versions.

Top Bottom