• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long Fallen Dynasty has sold over 1 million units & has reached over 3.8 million players!

Great numbers considering it launched on Game Pass.

Nioh one and two sold around 3-ish million each I think, so Team Ninja is likely happy with this.
I guess. Nioh games and Wo-long would be great sellers if they had the budget and development time to properly produce them. The combat and world building is all top notch, but level design is only average and too linear for my liking

I'm guessing Microsoft paid enough money upfront to team Ninja to cover most of development costs

kikkis

That's like 30-40 million in income plus microsoft cash. I don't see even japan producing games that cheap to consider this a major success.

yazenov

Nah. First Nioh sold 1million in two weeks on PS4 alone. These results are significantly weaker.

Yeah, its kind of meh compared to Nioh. PS5 version of Wo Long probably did most of the heavy lifting in unit sales as well.

Koeh Tecmo should have made the game timed exclusive to the PS5 and PC, and let Sony handle the marketing for the game. And then down the line release it on Gamepass. Day one on Gamepass was a mistake.

Schmendrick

Fun game, but feels very stagnant and a bit dumbed down after the NiOh games. The terrible state of the tech at launch probably didn`t help either.

Bragr

Banned
Nah. First Nioh sold 1million in two weeks on PS4 alone. These results are significantly weaker.
You have to take into account that it was available on PC and Xbox consoles through Game Pass. That's where most people played it. Getting anything over a million with that in mind is a good deal.

stn

Glad to hear. Its not as good as Nioh or Stranger of Paradise, but it still very solid. And it might get even better after the DLC is out, which is usually the case with the TN souls games.

Yeah, its kind of meh compared to Nioh. PS5 version of Wo Long probably did most of the heavy lifting in unit sales as well.

Koeh Tecmo should have made the game timed exclusive to the PS5 and PC, and let Sony handle the marketing for the game. And then down the line release it on Gamepass. Day one on Gamepass was a mistake.

Seriously, I don't know how people can claim such things...
Do you know what was the contract sign for this day 1 on gamepass and how much money associated ??? Or do you simply say that using information coming from you ass ??

ungalo

I feel bad for those who bought it full price. I'm not a Gamepass apologist but it seems appropriate for this kind of game that's pretty fun but reeks of laziness. Feels like TN had to release a game for this year and that's it, so i guess 1 million is already a success.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned

That’s always a mistake. That’s a sure way to devalue your own game.

New games should never release on GP day one. Should be 6-12 months tops.

cireza

As evidenced by the fact that Nioh sold at a faster tick and as a result is a stronger brand than this, no.
So putting your game exclusively on a console does not devalue your game and lead to less sales ? Makes complete sense indeed :pie_invert:

Just like a publisher get money from putting a game exclusively on a console, they get money for putting it day-one in Game Pass. Except that the game being in Game Pass does not prevent anyone from buying it on Xbox, PC or elsewhere...

Last edited:
As evidenced by the fact that Nioh sold at a faster tick and as a result is a stronger brand than this, no.

Nioh is far more expensive game than this though.

From graphics to mechanics, everything is more in depth.

This game is better if you prefer simplicity of a good action game.

GHG

So putting your game exclusively on a console does not devalue your game and lead to less sales ? Makes complete sense indeed :pie_invert:

Just like a publisher get money from putting a game exclusively on a console, they get money for putting it day-one in Game Pass. Except that the game being in Game Pass does not prevent anyone from buying it on Xbox, PC or elsewhere...

Makes no bloody difference if the userbase that is excluded don't buy games anyway.

The game sold worse despite being on more platforms and having the added bonus of the "gamepass leads to more sales" tripe that we are supposed to believe.

Worse still, dispite there allegedly being over 20 million gamepass subscribers out there, it's only been played by a fraction of them.

They would probably have been better off sticking to the Nioh strategy that worked for them so well that it resulted in a direct sequel.

Time will tell what happens to this IP, but if I were a betting man I'd say we're far more likely to see Nioh 3 than we are a Wo Long 2.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
The exact same logic can be applied to third party exclusives.
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

yazenov

Seriously, I don't know how people can claim such things...
Do you know what was the contract sign for this day 1 on gamepass and how much money associated ??? Or do you simply say that using information coming from you ass ??

Unless you know any information then kindly provided it. Information from my ass is better than from your ass IMO.

Oddly, I bought it for PC after playing on gamepass. It runs well enough, though some presentation elements feel a bit outdated compared to Nioh. It also took a while for the gameplay to click unlike Nioh, but I like the conquest and kung fu elements a lot. I hope the DLC will bring new weapon types and a way to transfer skills between weapons.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Yeah, that magic marketing worked wonders for Returnal and Forspoken.

Koei Tecmo got paid to put the game on Gamepass day one.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Sold 1 million units.. but reached 3.8 million players? Piracy? family sharing? How are they counting players?

Edit:
Game Pass?
right.. I forgot about that, it's probably the solution. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Baki

MS pays good money for day 1 GP releases. It could've easily been a $40 million pay day.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I mean somebody playing a minute of the game counts as a reach so, ok.

Guess they are just doing their work and spreading the word for the game, but seems like the equivalent of a B movie or something?

What was the budget on this thing?

yazenov

MS pays good money for day 1 GP releases. It could've easily been a $40 million pay day.

Yeah, that magic marketing worked wonders for Returnal and Forspoken.

Koei Tecmo got paid to put the game on Gamepass day one.

If it's so lucrative then it makes you wonder why more publishers aren't taking this deal and releasing games on Gampass day one. 3rd party day one Game Pass games are the exception to the norm.

It seems like the majority of publishers are giving Game Pass a hard pass. Pun intended.

If it's so lucrative then it makes you wonder why more publishers aren't taking this deal and releasing games on Gampass day one. 3rd party day one Game Pass games are the exception to the norm.

It seems like the majority of publishers are giving Game Pass a hard pass. Pun intended.

Monster Hunter Rise dropped day 1. Pretty good sign publishers are considering it as opportunity to grow their ips.

Hopefully people actually played the game on game pass. if MS is going to use the "Played Time" metric to pay devs then devs are going to get fucked and MS is not going to be able to justify paying a "premium" for game pass deals when the game is barely played.

Hopefully people actually played the game on game pass. if MS is going to use the "Played Time" metric to pay devs then devs are going to get fucked and MS is not going to be able to justify paying a "premium" for game pass deals when the game is barely played.

I want to but can't. Already juggling 5 games.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It's better than Nioh. It's in the same style as Sekiro, and almost as fun. For now, this is my game of the year candidate in 2023. I played with gamepass on pc and was happy with it's performance, fluid 60 fps without stutters(I have 9700k+3060ti+32gb ram).

It has great OST too.

NPw6Vhz.png

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Greet game, too bad it’s so easy you don’t really need to use most of its mechanics to progress.
That’s not how devs are paid for GP deals based on known examples. It’s a flat fee with some variable part based on players. Of course we don’t know every GP deal made.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Greet game, too bad it’s so easy you don’t really need to use most of its mechanics to progress.
You can limit your morale rank to 20 or lower. You can become OP in Elden Ring too. I think it's easier than Sekiro but harder than Elden Ring(I finished it without any summon/mimic with a melee build). I can say it was a fair challange. Side bosses were more difficult btw.

Chukhopops

You can limit your morale rank to 20 or lower. You can become OP in Elden Ring too. I think it's easier than Sekiro but harder than Elden Ring(I finished it without any summon/mimic with a melee build). I can say it was a fair challange. Side bosses were more difficult btw.
It’s subjective of course but I found it way easier than Elden Ring from a mechanics point of view: warning on big attacks, only losing half of the souls on death, free respecs, most levels have one or two permanent summons, etc.

I loved the combat, level design and even the story had great moments but some bosses deserved to be more challenging especially the last two.

Ozriel

M$FT

Microsoft isn’t offering this deal to every 3rd party dev. Look at the games they’ve been bringing in.
Wo Long, Atomic Heart, Outriders, Plague’s Tale. All games made on a relatively modest budget, and were inclusion In GP wouldn’t break the bank.

Pretty much why it sounds ridiculous anytime you guys claim the service is losing tons of money. They’re not paying THAT much in terms of third party content.

Rykan

That's not how that works. That's not how any of this works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom