• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•29-31•16 - Another bear manhandles Leo... _

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Alright, at least DWA will get their 40% cut, still though, it seems that the growth story for China has come to a halt - expectations were way too high.
January 2016 is still up 50-60% in China over January 2015. The growth is mostly going to domestic films.

I know twerking bets are supposedly the new in thing, but I have sent CharlesFosterKane his Joss Whedon avatar that he must wear for a month since Star Wars was not nominated for Best Picture. May he wear it with pride!

Ridley327

man wtf at lynne ramsay. drops us some flames with we need to talk about kevin and then fucks her career after that, it's looking indefinite too at this point.
Yeah, she really chose the worst possible way to exit this project, regardless of the justification.

Surfinn

The Force Awakens is now only 4-5M away from breaking 900M. Only 13M away from breaking 2B.

The question is.. where will it stop domestically? 915M? That's my guess.

CassSept

The Force Awakens is now only 4-5M away from breaking 900M. Only 13M away from breaking 2B.

The question is.. where will it stop domestically? 915M? That's my guess.

Trump winning Iowa throws America and the World into chaos, all theaters around the world are destroyed, $899m dom and $1.99b ww to complete the cycle of ultimate box office blue balls.

Anyone has a handy reference to how much more JW and Sherlock made after that point in their respective runs?

LevelNth

Banned
So to be conservative TFA will eventually break $925m in its first run, clearing the previous first-run record holder by $175m, or +23%.

Basically the next film that breaks this record, whenever that will be (and it will be an astonishing run to witness when it happens) will surely break $1b.

Surfinn

So to be conservative TFA will eventually break $925m in its first run, clearing the previous first-run record holder by $175m, or +23%.

Basically the next film that breaks this record, whenever that will be (and it will be an astonishing run to witness when it happens) will surely break $1b.

Wonder if we're getting a rerelease.

A bit surprised TFA hasn't hit the $2 billion mark by now. Long past the thought of it reaching or surpassing Avatar or even Titanic now, but I was quite sure it would cap off past the $2 billion mark at the very least.

It did fine, but Sony was only licensed the one film. There are currently no plans to make a follow-up anytime soon, and Schulz's estate has said they're probably not gonna entertain the option for probably another decade.

It was a one & done.

Fox distributed it, not Sony.

kswiston

A bit surprised TFA hasn't hit the $2 billion mark by now. Long past the thought of it reaching or surpassing Avatar or even Titanic now, but I was quite sure it would cap off past the $2 billion mark at the very least.

Overseas drops haven't been bad post-holidays, but they haven't been good either. As such, Avatar remains the fastest film to $2B.

Titanic was always going to be tough to beat with the current overseas currency market, and with the franchise being untested in some of the developing markets. $2B worldwide is an amazing performance given that TFA will likely double the previous franchise best (something that not even Furious 7 or Jurassic World managed to do).

On a sort of related note, I wonder how long Titanic will keep those biggest eighth to twelfth weekend records.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Inflation will make sure that a lot of movies break 1 billion. Thirty years from now prices will be at least 120 % higher than they are now. Which means every movie that currently reaches 450 million will approach 1 billion. Number of admissions is really the only way to compare movies.

kswiston

Inflation will make sure that a lot of movies break 1 billion. Thirty years from now prices will be at least 120 % higher than they are now. Which means every movie that currently reaches 450 million will approach 1 billion. Number of admissions is really the only way to compare movies.

This is still the third biggest initial run of all time (behind Titanic and E.T.) by admissions domestically.

What was the last good spoof, anyway? Black Dynamite?

Yeah, I'd say so. Ever since Seltzer and Friedberg shit the bed with their "parody" films, the genre seems to be deader than disco. Why is it so hard to get a legitimately good mainstream parody movie in Hollywood nowadays?

I think so.

Serious question, is there a single legit funny Marlon Wayans spoof movie?
Scary Movie.

And that was only because that film had four (!) other screenwriters with them (with two of them being the aforementioned Seltzer and Friedberg...).

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I'd say so. Ever since Seltzer and Friedberg shit the bed with their "parody" films, the genre seems to be deader than disco. Why is it so hard to get a legitimately good mainstream parody movie in Hollywood nowadays?

If I had to guess, 'make fun of [popular film]' parodies are easier to sell than more original, broader spoofs like Kung Pow and Black Dynamite.

Oedekerk will save us if he ever makes Kung Pow II.

I was kind of amazed to see that TPM took over 60 days to get below $1M.

Yeah, it the same amount of time (45 days) for Jurassic World to finally dip below $1million in a day. 34 days for Ultron.

Avatar didn't dip below $1million in a day until it's 81st day in wide release. Took Titanic 101 days.

I remember some of us guessing after a couple weeks that it looked like it might be following Sherlock Holmes' path more than anything. did that basically end up being the case?

Still the GOAT box office run

What's crazy is that it dipped below $2mil a day just after its 38th day, and then basically made $1.1-1.8mil every Mon-Thurs for the next 63 days. And then managed to make over $1mil on one of those days another four times after that.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This is still the third biggest initial run of all time (behind Titanic and E.T.) by admissions domestically.

There are some more movies that didn't get a rerelease that are in front:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

The Sound of Music
The Ten Commandments
Jaws
Doctor Zhivago

It probably will at some point. Biggest domestic film of all-time is going to find its way back to the big screen some years down the road.

I wouldn't be so sure with yearly Star Wars movies. And for the next years when they release new movies and repeat the prequels for those they will count as revenue towards the new film like it happened with that 57 million opening for TFA. Disney will basically release a new SW movie a year until everybody can't see those anymore - and at that point there is no request for a rerelease anyway.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Talking of legs, is there any explanation for how and why My Big Fat Greek Wedding did what it did?
Had a ridiculously slow and gradual roll out, taking 26 weeks to get over 2000 theaters, in its first 40 weeks it had just one weekend decline of over 25%
just looking at it now it perplexes me

I'm not sure how BOM defines "documented rereleases", but there's no way those didn't get rereleased. At least, definitely not the three that aren't Jaws.

The entire section dealing with "adjusted for inflation" and "estimated ticket sales" needs to be fucking wiped. There's no real point to it, and their numbers/research sucks on top of that.

Surfinn

Not sure if it's surprising or just about right, but TFA looks like it's sitting at 122M in China. Better than the 100 or so people were saying it'd make few weeks back.

Unless it manages to make over a mil today (and it likely won't) looks like early Friday morning is when The Force Awakens crosses 900 million domestic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom