• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•29-31•16 - Another bear manhandles Leo... _

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

cCxFobi.jpg
89I4TUM.jpg
8QcfJ2Y.jpg
BK21nXk.jpg
QogU3Yk.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
80% Kung Fu Panda 3
9wcOG.gif
83% The Revenant
kavuF.gif
93% Star Wars: The Force Awakens
3Pj0x.gif
59% The Finest Hours
5f4ew.gif
12% Ride Along 2
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
13% Fifty Shades of Black
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
33% Jane Got a Gun

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Kung Fu Panda 3’ Kicks Up $41 Million to Dominate U.S. Box Office

“Kung Fu Panda 3” showed plenty of power at the U.S. box office with a solid opening weekend of $41 million at 3,955 theaters as the durable family franchise dominated moviegoing.

Disney’s launch of Coast Guard rescue adventure “The Finest Hours” saw only modest returns with $10.3 million at 3,143 sites — trailing both “The Revenant” and the seventh weekend of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

Marlon Wayans’ spoof “Fifty Shades of Black” generated only middling business with $6.2 million at 2,075 locations and Natalie Portman’s oft-delayed Western “Jane Got a Gun” was nearly invisible with less than $1 million at 1,210 screens.

"Chelsea Does," a new four-part documentary series on Netflix debuts at the Sundance Film Festival. Variety gets up close and personal with the comic as she preps for her next adventure.
Sponsored by Autograph Collection Hotels
“Kung Fu Panda 3,” distributed by Fox for DreamWorks Animation, will finish its first weekend near 2011’s “Kung Fu Panda 2,” which opened with $47.7 million domestically on its way to $162.5 million. The 2008 original bowed to $60.2 million and ended its U.S. run with $215 million.

The cartoon also helped the U.S. box office turn in a respectable performance following a dismal weekend that saw business hit hard by the massive East Coast snowstorm. Leonardo DiCaprio’s “The Revenant” won the frame with only $16 million in its third weekend of wide release.

“The Revenant” remained a solid draw in second place in its fourth weekend of wide release, thanks to its dozen Oscar nominations and DiCaprio’s star power. It finished the weekend with $12.4 million at 3,330 sites for a decline of only 22% and has now generated an impressive $138.2 million domestically.

DiCaprio is widely expected to win his first Oscar for his gritty portrayal of fur trapper Hugh Glass in “The Revenant.” He won the SAG Award on Saturday.

Disney’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” led the rest of the pack with $10.8 million at 2,566 locations, lifting its record-setting U.S. total to $895.4 million. That was enough to edge the studio’s “The Finest Hours” for fourth.

“The Finest Hours,” starring Chris Pine and Casey Affleck, performed in line with muted forecasts but the results are an obvious disappointment for Disney, given its reported $70 million budget. The movie, which recaps the 1952 rescue of 32 men in a brutal storm, generated a strong Cinemascore of A-.

Universal’s third weekend of “Ride Along 2” followed in fifth with $8.4 million at 2,412 sites, lifting its 17-day total to nearly $71 million.

The three titles that opened last weekend — and were clobbered by the snow storm — took the next three slots with relatively strong holds. STX Entertainment’s “The Boy” came in sixth with $7.9 million at 2,671, off only 27% for a cume of $21.5 million; Lionsgate’s “Dirty Grandpa” followed with $7.6 million at 2,912, down 32% for a $22.8 million total; and Sony’s “The 5th Wave” grossed $7 million at 2,908, also off 32% for a $20.2 millon cume.

“Our core audience of young women stayed home because of the storm last weekend so we’re very pleased that they came out this weekend,” said STX distribution chief Kevin Grayson.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for source*

Ridley327

A+ thread title.

We can now end our long national nightmare on whether or not that Jane Got a Gun would be released.

Smellycat

Crazy that Star Wars will cross the 900 million mark. I wanted to see it cross the 1 billion mark, but maybe we will see that in future re-releases.

BumRush

Great title. Excited to see KFP3 and to see star wars cross 900 soon! Also, never thought revenant would make back its production budget so quickly in America. Well deserved.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Daddy's Home - $211M
The Big Short - $103M
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $1.983B

Star Wars made $23M this weekend worldwide. It looks like it will finish around $100-120M behind Titanic worldwide.

Amazing thread title. I love how KFP 3 series has high review scores and maintains quality of the trilogy. $41 million is a very respectable opening.

Hateful Eight's gonna end up beating it's budget domestically by like, $10 mil. Which is at least better than when he & Rodriguez tried the Grindhouse thing.

Force Awakens almost made $11 million this weekend. Bet it gets there in the actuals.

Couple theaters in my area put Mad Max back on their screens. Was wondering if that was a small rollout on Warners' behalf but I don't see it anywhere on the list, so I guess it was just some owners/programmers saying "fuck it" and putting it up there.

MIMIC

Banned
*thinks about title for a minute*

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol

Also, kinda surprised "Fifty Shades" only made $6 million, considering that the commercial for it was shown almost a billion times.

JdFoX187

Banned
Hateful Eight's gonna end up beating it's budget domestically by like, $10 mil. Which is at least better than when he & Rodriguez tried the Grindhouse thing.

Force Awakens almost made $11 million this weekend. Bet it gets there in the actuals.

Couple theaters in my area put Mad Max back on their screens. Was wondering if that was a small rollout on Warners' behalf but I don't see it anywhere on the list, so I guess it was just some owners/programmers saying "fuck it" and putting it up there.

The local second run theater brought Mad Max back for a week for some random reason. I wanted to go see it again, but the wife refused. Alas.

kswiston

At some point I need to go back to that TFA Predictions thread.

But not today.

Star Wars has earned $27M overseas in the past week, but $8M was from China, and the film has $2-3M left in the tank there (maybe less. I expect its run to end before next weekend).

Off of a $19M week elsewhere, Furious 7 is probably far enough ahead that it will remain the #1 film of 2015 overseas.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Worldwide Updates:

Daddy's Home - $211M
The Big Short - $103M
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $1.983B

Star Wars made $23M this weekend worldwide. It looks like it will finish around $100-120M behind Titanic worldwide.

Was sure TFA would get to 2bn this past week.

The dream of Force Awakens getting to No.1 Worldwide is dead.

It's been dead for a while. It won't even beat Titanic now.

Don´t rub salt in their wounds dude, although that thread is good for laughs.

it's gonna be a ton of people underpredicting shit by about 200-300 million, and a handful of people nobody really paid attention to, who didn't really have any conception of what they were talking about, massively overpredicting shit in an effort to demonstrate how boisterous their fannishness was.

It's not gonna be all that comedic or interesting.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Another great hold for The Big Short.

Daddy's Home will soon outgross Elf ww, quite a feat.

What's Panda's gross in China?

kswiston

To reasonable people with a passing understanding of currency values in 2009 vs. 2015, the dream never had life.

Yup.

It wouldn't have ended up making a difference though. The Force Awakens will be short of Avatar by $700-750M. Currency exchange wouldn't have brought Avatar down that far.

Another great hold for The Big Short.

Daddy's Home will soon outgross Elf ww, quite a feat.

What's Panda's gross in China?

$58M

MM has been making the rotation in LA for a weekend at a time since the Oscars announcements.

Kung Fu Panda 3 is a visually beautiful film. My heart aches for what Dreamworks animation could do if they were allowed to return to 2D for even one film with a decent budget.

Abounder

Banned
Top 3 features a panda, grizzly bear, and Chewbacca...lol

On another sidenote Star Wars is going to more than double Ultron's DOM ($459m), tell me to never bet on the box office

kswiston

Thanks, seems close to TFA. Isn't it a tad disappointing or are we expecting good legs?

It's disappointing.

It's the holiday season and will be treated as a local film, so it will pass Star Wars. However, some people were expecting it to easily top $200M (hell I saw crazies throw out $300-400M) and that isn't happening. I am going to guess something in the same range as MI5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom