• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•29-31•16 - Another bear manhandles Leo... _

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Worldwide Updates:

Daddy's Home - $211M
The Big Short - $103M
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $1.983B

Star Wars made $23M this weekend worldwide. It looks like it will finish around $100-120M behind Titanic worldwide.

hmm

sounds like a re-release with 10 minutes of rogue one footage will push it above titanic

and then titanic will re-release again and reclaim #2

kswiston

hmm

sounds like a re-release with 10 minutes of rogue one footage will push it above titanic

A re-release a few months is not going to make $100M. Even those 10-20 years later special edition/3D re-releases struggled to do much better than that other than the special edition for A New Hope, Titanic 3D and the Lion King 3D.

Pity those movies are that close in earnings. They couldn't be further from each other in quality.

Also, where does CREED rank in Rocky franchise grosses?

We don't have numbers for Rocky 1-3 overseas. Rocky 4 did $300M. Creed is over Rocky 5 and Balboa.

Hateful Eight's gonna end up beating it's budget domestically by like, $10 mil. Which is at least better than when he & Rodriguez tried the Grindhouse thing.

Force Awakens almost made $11 million this weekend. Bet it gets there in the actuals.

Couple theaters in my area put Mad Max back on their screens. Was wondering if that was a small rollout on Warners' behalf but I don't see it anywhere on the list, so I guess it was just some owners/programmers saying "fuck it" and putting it up there.
Mad Max is back in theaters cuz of Oscar season.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It's disappointing.

It's the holiday season and will be treated as a local film, so it will pass Star Wars. However, some people were expecting it to easily top $200M (hell I saw crazies throw out $300-400M) and that isn't happening. I am going to guess something in the same range as MI5.

Alright, at least DWA will get their 40% cut, still though, it seems that the growth story for China has come to a halt - expectations were way too high.

I hope Peanuts did well enough to not kill its future in film.

It did fine, but Sony was only licensed the one film. There are currently no plans to make a follow-up anytime soon, and Schulz's estate has said they're probably not gonna entertain the option for probably another decade.

It was a one & done.

Mad Max is back in theaters cuz of Oscar season.

I know, Boxy. Like I said, my curiosity was whether Warners was putting it back there, or whether theater owners were taking the initiative. Turns out it's apparently the latter.

so far as Force Awakens re-releases, the Blu-Ray is scheduled for the first week of April, according to Disney's own website, so I don't think there's going to be a re-release between now and then, and even if there was (with footage for Rogue One attached) there's no way said promotional footage is going to be enough of a draw to overcome the 100-120 million it'd need to get over Titanic worldwide.

Commercials don't make you that much money (or really, money at all, as discussed at the end of last week's thread) at the box-office, and the film won't have been gone long enough to have created an absence/longing all that exploitable.

It did fine, but Sony was only licensed the one film. There are currently no plans to make a follow-up anytime soon, and Schulz's estate has said they're probably not gonna entertain the option for probably another decade.

It was a one & done.
That's kind of a shame, but it was a great standalone movie so I'm fine with it.

kswiston

Alright, at least DWA will get their 40% cut, still though, it seems that the growth story for China has come to a halt - expectations were way too high.

Most of the growth has been for local films recently, but Hollywood films are still doing better than ever. I think people need to stop thinking that Furious 7's bump (and Age of Ultron or Jurassic World to a lesser extent) will apply to everything.

Kung Fu Panda 2 made $92M in China. If this ones ends at $140-150M, that's still a big bump. DWA's take also goes from $18M on KFP2 to $55-60M on this film. I don't know if that was worth the investment they made into their Chinese branch, but it might pay off in the future.

Abounder

Banned
Hopefully Creed's overseas box office can at least match Rocky Balboa 2006, it opened in a lot of markets just last week

kswiston

Hopefully Creed's overseas box office can at least match Rocky Balboa 2006, it opened in a lot of markets just last week

Doesn't look all that promising. The film only made $10M worldwide in the past week. That means it has ~$33M left to go.

Anth0ny

A re-release a few months is not going to make $100M. Even those 10-20 years later special edition/3D re-releases struggled to do much better than that other than the special edition for A New Hope, Titanic 3D and the Lion King 3D.

We don't have numbers for Rocky 1-3 overseas. Rocky 4 did $300M. Creed is over Rocky 5 and Balboa.

But none of those re-releases had NEW footage!

Also, Creed over Rocky 5 and Balboa is good news, as it was way better than those two films.

near

Gold Member
Good opening for Kung Fu Panda 3 domestically, and it also seems like it broke a record in China for best opening of an animated film.

That's kind of a shame, but it was a great standalone movie so I'm fine with it.

It was a fantastic standalone movie and truly a love letter to all things Peanuts
even if the Red Baron parts lingered a little too long, IMO
and I really don't see how or why they would sequel it.

One and done is perfect.

Creed over Rocky 5 and Balboa is good news, as it was way better than those two films.

IDK about CREED being "way better" than Balboa. Rocky V is a given.

GhaleonEB

Ace thread title.

I was wondering if there would be softer drops this weekend, after the east coast was snowed in last weekend. Sure looks like it - great holds all around, especially for the Revenant and TFA.

Was sure TFA would get to 2bn this past week.

It's been dead for a while. It won't even beat Titanic now.
It'll top it this week for sure.

It occurred to me that while it's only a footnote, TFA has long passed Titanic's initial theatrical run; the 3D reissue is what puts Titanic over it at this point. TFA will be the second film behind Avatar to top $2b in its initial theatrical run.

near

Gold Member
I actually don't think that's good of an opening...unless exceptions are so low after the disappointing KFP2: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=kungfupanda.htm

Worldwide it will do great again though.

Compared to KFP1 it's slightly disappointing I guess, but KFP3 numbers are closer to KFP1 for its first 3 days than KFP2 was to KFP1, so it's an improvement at least in that regard. KFP2 also had a summer release while this is a January release if that matters much at all. It will be interesting to see how this does worldwide compared to KFP1.

Boke1879

hmm

Honestly they can just have a re-release next year before Episode 8. They don't need to tack on RO footage.

Dat thread title - A+++

My wife and I went to see The Finest Hours on Friday. The action portion of the movie was pretty intense. Difficult to imagine the stress of that night and the absolute luck/divine intervention required.

Wonder if TFA could still eek it's way to 950, fairly low drop this weekend and I got a feeling it could spend a while kicking about in the middle and lower reaches of the chart

Foshy

this is literally the first time i'm hearing about kung fu panda 3 and i'm usually not completely out of the loop when it comes to news in general. was there no marketing at all in europe so far? i'm genuinely confused right now.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, if this doesn't shitcan Purvis & Wade for good, I don't know what will.
Arent they basically there to be yes men to Brocolli and Wilson?

Seems all the latest Bond movies are one "main" name writer (Haggis, Logan...) and then P&W

You watched Point Break?

Yep. I saw the original and that was corny af.

Reading reviews that say it made them wish for that one tells me all I need to know about it's quality.

Same thing with the remakes of Total Recall and Robocop (both of which I saw). I don't need to go this this remake to know it's shit.

Ridley327

Arent they basically there to be yes men to Brocolli and Wilson?

Seems all the latest Bond movies are one "main" name writer (Haggis, Logan...) and then P&W

The issue is that they need good writers now, not yes men. Purvis & Wade are not good writers.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Beating a dead horse, again, is moronic. See Bobby's post, you fool.

What he said.

And I still want to watch Point Break
for free on Netflix someday
. I'm sure it's entertaining in a 2 Fast 2 Furious kind of way.

kswiston

Looks like The Hateful 8 will end up making about three times its budget worldwide. Grindhouse remains Tarantino's only money loser.

With another month to go before awards season is done, I wouldn't be surprised to see The Revenant hit $400M worldwide.

The reviews have painted it as thoroughly mediocre. The making of would have been a more interesting project, like the western version of Lost in La Mancha.

man wtf at lynne ramsay. drops us some flames with we need to talk about kevin and then fucks her career after that, it's looking indefinite too at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom