• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 02•24-26•17 - Peele rules the Box Office and Rotten Tomatoes. China loves RE6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Reboot the Fox X-Men universe with a bunch of awesome, R-rated solo films

Deadpool
Logan
Gambit
X-23
Nightcrawler

All of these films culminate in... the next X-Men movie in 2022!

Rth puts Get Out's second Friday at $8M, which means it's heading for at most a 25% wkd drop. Just crazy for a horror film; I wonder if it can leg it to $150M

We're pretty much gonna get that, right?
Yes. If Logan hits 80, I think it would have had a shot at being the highest grossing xmen movie if this month wasn't so crowded. WOM is gonna be crazy good.

Jigorath

Banned
At this point, I can't help but feel the actual concept of the X-Men as a team is no longer a bankable concept.

I mean, Days of Future Past cleaned up just 3 years ago. Apocalypse was a huge box office disappointment but it was also terrible. Good X-Men movies can probably still make money.

At this point, I can't help but feel the actual concept of the X-Men as a team is no longer a bankable concept.

They'd need to make one and see. When you think about it, they're almost always forming or breaking up the team. Following Apocalypse, they have an opportunity to make it about the X-Men as a team. The young cast is solid and the foundation is there.

Reboot the Fox X-Men universe with a bunch of awesome, R-rated solo films

Deadpool
Logan
Gambit
X-23
Nightcrawler

All of these films culminate in... the next X-Men movie in 2022!

If it were up to me, I would focus the next 3-5 years on:
Deadpool
X-Force
x23

And then after that, reboot the XMen completely (kinda like how JimLee rebooted the comic) , with new casting for everyone and then get your their shit together and understand how fuck awesome Dr. Doom is alone and how amazing F4 should be.

What I am saying is, the Singer-Xverse needs to go away.

It's time.

Er, no, it's not. They've got a new X-Men film in an advanced state of development, to the point of getting the cast back, and New Mutants (due to film very shortly) is set in the 1980s-verse.

Why would a Nightcrawler solo film be R-rated?
You know how Catholic Nightcrawler is?

Now just imagine a mash up of the Young Pope and X-Men

Now you can see why it would need to be for mature audiences

Not surprised at Logan whatsoever. There's been huge buzz on my social feeds for it for months. The fact this is Jackmans last portrayal as the character is making some serious waves even with people who aren't big X-Men fans. He's become so iconic in the role that even if you've never seen one of the films everyone knows he's Wolverine.

I just wish I could stomach the gore to sit through it. I plan on watching it but might have to wait for him video on this one

New Mutants is gonna be the next one after Deadpool though, isn't it?

There's still (apparently) some sort of Gambit movie on deck, I guess?

(Ehhhhhh)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
New Mutants is gonna be the next one after Deadpool though, isn't it?

There's still (apparently) some sort of Gambit movie on deck, I guess?

(Ehhhhhh)

New Mutants is next yes.

I have a feeling the Gambit film will never materialize, could be dead wrong though.

Gambit carrying an entire movie alone?

They tried that once with JCVD and it was called Hard Target and it it was dreadful.

I dunno, I rewatched that recently and it was a lot of dumb fun.

Brimley on horseback shooting people with a shotgun and yelping in a bad cajun accent.

Van Damme punching a snake in the face.

I dunno, I rewatched that recently and it was a lot of dumb fun.

Brimley on horseback shooting people with a shotgun and yelping in a bad cajun accent.

Van Damme punching a snake in the face.
No. Brinley on horseback, riding away from an explosion in slow motion while holding a bow. That is pure greatness.
wilford9tg-e1425152576792.jpg

Such a horrible and horribly fun film. Definitely a guilty pleasure.

kswiston

The crazy thing about Logan compared to the team x-films is that Logan's production budget was $97M after tax rebates. Fox spent about twice as much on DOFP and X-men Apocalypse.

The two highest grossing x-films domestically might end up being the two cheapest x-films.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If it were up to me, I would focus the next 3-5 years on:
Deadpool
X-Force
x23

And then after that, reboot the XMen completely (kinda like how JimLee rebooted the comic) , with new casting for everyone and then get your their shit together and understand how fuck awesome Dr. Doom is alone and how amazing F4 should be.

What I am saying is, the Singer-Xverse needs to go away.

It's time.

I'd be down for a film with Xavier and Magneto as the leads against a threat. Just those two. The feel of Magneto's early stuff in First Class.

firelogic

I'd be down for a film with Xavier and Magneto as the leads against a threat. Just those two. The feel of Magneto's early stuff in First Class.

I'm all for more McAvoy and Fassbender. They're the best things about X-Men next to Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart. To be honest, I've never been a fan of McKellen as Mags.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm all for more McAvoy and Fassbender. They're the best things about X-Men next to Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart. To be honest, I've never been a fan of McKellen as Mags.

He was so good in X-Men 2. Nothing before or after comes close. That scene with Pyro in particular.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Logan - $33.0M
2) Get Out - $8.0M - $58M total
3) The Shack - $5.6M
4) The Batman Movie - $2.5M - $139M total
5) Before I Fall - $1.7M

kswiston

Based on Fri-Sat, it looks like Logan will open close to $50M in China. It's also getting great user reviews, so $100M+ total is looking good.

I know the length and the rating make one-to-one comparisons with other X-Men movies harder, but with a 33mil Friday, does that mean we're looking at an 80mil weekend?

What's, say, the 2nd best multiplier for an X-Men movie?

I know the length and the rating make one-to-one comparisons with other X-Men movies harder, but with a 33mil Friday, does that mean we're looking at an 80mil weekend?

What's, say, the 2nd best multiplier for an X-Men movie?

80-85 seems to be target for OW.

I think 2nd best multiplier is First Class with 2.65x

Half of the X-Men films were released on Memorial Day weekend, which sort of messes things up as far as comparisons go.

I'm wondering if legs might be a little better because it's coming out in the spring, where there's (relatively) less competition?

I know Kong is coming next weekend, so comp isn't free & clear in the least.

kswiston

I'm wondering if legs might be a little better because it's coming out in the spring, where there's (relatively) less competition?

I know Kong is coming next weekend, so comp isn't free & clear in the least.

I think that the quality and word of mouth might get some business from the types who don't rush out for comic films, but we'll see.

A lot of the X-Films hover in the 2.5x multiplier range. I would be surprised if it is much lower than that, even if it doesn't get Deadpool legs. $200M is likely the low end.

March is pretty packed though, lots of competition, Beauty and the Beast will be huge even if it's not directly targeting Logan's audience.

I think Logan will hit the usual multiplier of the good X-Men movies, about 2.5x. Maybe slightly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom