• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 02•24-26•17 - Peele rules the Box Office and Rotten Tomatoes. China loves RE6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

NOTE: xaosslug is still banned.

iDfMv3c.png

edtIl7T.png

P2d8gli.png

ielVd0p.png

Yy3UEY6.png

Jordan Peele’s ‘Get Out’ Scores Monster $30.5 Million Opening

“Get Out,” a trenchant horror film about race relations, rode critical raves to a smashing box office debut. The low-budget film was the weekend’s top-grossing domestic release, earning $30.5 million, and propelling its director and writer Jordan Peele onto the Hollywood A-list. The film, which centers on a black man who discovers that his girlfriend’s liberal, lily-white hometown is guarding a sinister secret, marks a departure for Peele, who is best-known for his work on the Comedy Central series “Key & Peele.” It proves he can handle scares, as well as laughs, supplying sly social commentary in both genres.

“Get Out” also extends Blumhouse Productions’ hot hand. The film company scored earlier this year with “Split,” a thriller about a man with a personality disorder that racked up $130.8 million stateside on a $9 million budget. Universal distributed, marketed, and partnered on both movies.

“Get Out” benefited from being embraced by reviewers, earning a rare 100% “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with the likes of the Wall Street Journal’s Joe Morgenstern hailing its “explosive brilliance” and the New York Times’ Manohla Dargis praising it as “exhilaratingly smart.” Not the kind of notices most horror films enjoy. Its success comes as most of the movie business’ gaze is affixed on the Dolby Theater, where the Academy Awards will unfold on Sunday, with “La La Land” expected to be the night’s big winner.

*click pic for full list/source*

Worldwide Box Office

Resident Evil: The Last Chapter opened to an estimated $94.3M in China.

*click pic for full list/source*

Lifeline

Wow Get Out did really well. I hadn't even seen a single ad or heard about this film till the reviews came out.

Would've watched this next week if if wasn't for Logan. Enjoyed their Kenau movie.

Pretty weird that a movie with 100% RT has a 64 metascore. Guess almost all of the critics thought it was decent but not great or something.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
We out here! Split and Get Out are changing the game this year.

Litan

Pretty weird that a movie with 100% RT has a 64 metascore. Guess almost all of the critics thought it was decent but not great or something.

It's always interesting when the Metascore for a movie is a good bit lower than the average critic score in RT. I've yet to see it be the other way around.

I usually agree with the RT rating, though

Edit: It's actually 83, so in the case of Get Out, they are lined up..

'Get Out' deserves every single dollar it made and then some.

I had a 'Get Out' influenced dream last night...that's how much it resonated with me.

Thank you Jordan Peele for bringing black folks into this wave of quality horror movies that we've seen over the past few years....hopefully there are more black genre movies to come.

HeySeuss

I really want to watch Get Out but have nobody to go with. Risk being that guy and watching it alone?

I enjoy watching movies by myself. I thought people would look at me funny since I was the weird creepy guy sitting alone in a movie theater. But nobody cares. Really.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really want to watch Get Out but have nobody to go with. Risk being that guy and watching it alone?

Just go. I felt the same way a few years ago, but now I go alone all the time. My friends aren't into the same movies, so I have to go alone if I want to see stuff like Moonlight, The Edge of Seventeen, etc. You're good, fam.

Just go. I felt the same way a few years ago, but now I go alone all the time. My friends aren't into the same movies, so I have to go alone if I want to see stuff like Moonlight, The Edge of Seventeen, etc. You're good, fam.

This. I would've missed so many great movies if I was beholden to other people's tastes.

I do everything alone so when people stare at me I just throw something at them
In a movie theater it's my soda
In a restaurant it's my fork
At a water park it's a child, etc etc

Tagyhag

Wow I'm surprised at how well Get Out did, it just goes to show that good reviews and word of mouth can propel a movie extremely fast.

gamz

Blumhouse might be the smartest people in Hollywood.. killing it

I posted this in the other thread.

Gitesh Pandya‏@GiteshPandya

Moneymaking hit streak continues for #Blumhouse this yr. #Split & #GetOut cost $14M combined to produce & shd gross $400-500M worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom