• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With back compat going full tilt next gen, just how much do you expect to use it?

Domisto

I'd use it to catch up on some PS2 games because I don't have that system. And yes, I still enjoy that era. Have two working PS1 consoles. I think it's more for a small part of the older 'were there at the time' crowd though.

quickwhips

Who actually thinks ps1 or ps2 games are going to load from disc? I mean they made you pay for ps2 games on ps4 this gen and could have easily made you ps1 and ps2 games from ps3 work with ps4...lets keep hype in check unless we all be disappointed.

Arachnid

As much as I did this gen (which is a fuck load; Hell, I'm replaying Chaos Theory right now).

Hopefully PS5 features PS3 support. I haven't played MGS4 since the start of this gen. Man, I miss it.

trikster40

If Sony could come up with a way to let me use my actual PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 discs, it would be awesome.

Even better if they had some secret sauce that added trophies to old games automatically.

KiNeMz

Banned
Neir, Drakkenguard, silent hills and all metals gears on my PS3. I will never boot up my PS3 ever again for fear of updates.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I’ll use it a lot, I just hope if PS5 is truly going to be backwards compatible with 1, and possibly 3 that Sony makes them available digitally.

lachesis

I haven’t played a lot of games on current gen as I started pretty late (domestic issues) - so I look forward BC w enhancements - especially on those post launch drought days.

A shit ton... Not having to bother with emulators anymore would be a dream. Was only going Xbox this next gen, but if PS5 is full back compat I'll get one.

All the time its obvious that companies have 0 interest in making some of these forgot generes or old ips again so retro gaming/BC is the only way

Mattyp

Gold Member
If Sony makes it so I can pop in my hundreds of PS1/2 discs in and play I’ll buy a PS5 launch day. If not I won’t be grabbing a Playstation for the first generation ever.

Roberts

I've played pretty much every X enhanced 360 game that I own but didn't get the chance to play during the 360 years. Non-enhanced, not so much, so if we get some sort of res/performance boost for xbox one games, then I'm all for it.

Anyone that thinks Sony will include ps1-ps3 BC outside of PS Now and select titles available at ps store is utterly deluded.

Anyone that thinks Sony will include ps1-ps3 BC outside of PS Now and select titles available at ps store is utterly deluded.
I really think it depends on what MS do. If they go the full hog and do all OG Xbox, 360 and Xbone games then Sony will have to follow suit.
And Sony has tried to do back compat a few times previously, even to the extent of putting a PS2 chip in the PS3. Now with the consoles being so powerful, emulation is alot easier and better.

Does anyone know the exact number of games in the PS 1, 2, 3 and 4 libraries?

EDMIX

Not that much. This gen I think I got my PS2 out maybe 4 times. I recall playing thru Onimusha 1-4 and Killer 7 around 2015 when that PS2 support rumor came out about PS4 getting it as an update lol Fun times.

After that, I recall playing Xenosaga 1 and 2. In 2017 I played thru FFXII before the remaster came out to even see if I'd be down for it and just ended up keeping my PS2 original. After that, I don't remember using it again.

So I don't really see me using BC all that much on PS5 as I own several working PS2's and PS1 and PS3 and having them doesn't have me using them more then my PS4 or likely won't have me using them more then the PS5 or something.

So I don't really see me playing older titles any more then I do any other gen tbh. So If I beat 30 games in a year, I'm likely playing 3 or so titles that are past gen games. maybe...

bigol

Will use it the first year to replay great Ps4 games with better performance (hopefully) waiting for real next gen experiences. i don't see the first year games being something that i really will enjoy, looking at Ps3 and Ps4 first year i think it wil happen the same with Ps5.

cireza

I have already been using BC on Xbox for several years. I will be using it the same way : without even thinking if my games are OG, 360 or One. No difference, seamless experience.

Reactions: RSB

Protocol7

PS4: 100%. I have a backlog and will sell my PS4P as soon as I receive the PS5/P.

PSOne / PS2 / PS3: I want to see what it's going to look like on the tech side, I mean nostalgia aside, those games with today's TVs... I don't have a CRT anymore... so yeah...
I'd rather see those generations of games on a dedicated portable, for example.

But to answer your question, I won't play them (PSOne / PS2 / PS3), just being honest with myself, I won't play them... they'll stay in their boxes and that's it...

Anyway let's we'll see.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm already playing more old games than new ones, so I imagine quite a bit, yeah.

GymWolf

zero, like most people.

back compatibility, everyone wants it, nobody really use it.

ask people if they can choose between having BC and having 2 more teraflop on the gpu...or 100 dollars less or 4 more gb of ram, tha answer will be the same.

GymWolf

I use the Xbox Backwards compatibility for the handful of games that I appreciate.

Assuming I get a PS5 I’d actually use it a lot because I missed out on a lot of smaller limited PS4 physical titles. If they went full BC I’d buy it just for that as the PS1/2 lineup is chocked full of amazing Little gems. I’ve been meaning to buy a BC 60Gb PS3 again.

I’d pay $100 more for complete PS1-PS5 support in a heartbeat.
good for you.
there is enough to play aready to not digging into retrogames, if you looks statistics, most people don't even finish their games, let alone doing a second run thanks to BC.

i love open world games for example but after 50-100-200 hours i'm fucking done.

Banned
the great thing about the backwards compatibility as it will be on Xbox SX (we don't know how the PS5 will handle it yet... likely very similarly) is that you can immediately unplug your Xbox One X and just replace it without missing out on anything... and ontop of that games will run better on it.
so you lose nothing and even gain performance.

the last time that was really possible was on the Wii, because even the Wii U lost compatibility to GameCube, so you couldn't just replace the Wii if you used it for GameCube stuff (now you can thanks to soft mods and the GameCube controller adapter)

and that's how it should be going forward... you buy the new console, put away or sell your old one... and just use the new one for everything you played before on the old one.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm not a day one type of person and often play major releases months, and sometimes years, after initial release.

Depending on how they implement it, I can see myself making use of it from time to time to play games I missed out on from previous gens.

If PS5 runs back comp of all previous gens I will use it a lot. Love playing retro games and I have a huge collection of older PS games. Fuck graphics, a good game is a good game, regardless of when it was released.
Enjoy shadow man at 6 fps on PS1 with upscaling.

that's how it should be going forward... you buy the new console, put away or sell your old one... and just use the new one for everything you played before on the old one.

This, all of this. There should be no planned obsolesce in gaming and it's sad to see there is no cohesion throughout the generations with only small glimmers of connection.

Kagey K

Banned
I’ll use it just as much or more then I am now. Which is a lot. When current gen games are considered last gen I imagine it will only go up.

There is something freeing about knowing I can drop a game and come back to it and it’s save will be there, no matter what Im playing it on and it will have all the current gen amenities to go with it.

Everyone who says they don’t enjoy bc haven’t experienced it when properly done. IMO

If Sony makes it so I can pop in my hundreds of PS1/2 discs in and play I’ll buy a PS5 launch day. If not I won’t be grabbing a Playstation for the first generation ever.

Ditto for me, except last generation was the demarcation for me. I didn't get a PS4 due to no BC. If PS5 has ALL previous gens I'll absolutely pick one up and sell my launch PS3. If not, I'll be content to remain an oldster with PS1/2/3 and Nintendo. I'm very much a gameplay over graphics guy.

As a committed retro gamer i have wrung backwards compatibility - or any other form of access to defunct console games (such as dolphin for GameCube) - as dry as i could possibly could . I have repeatedly purchased metal gear solid remake packs, on multiple platforms, among many other such titles. I've done everything i could to play great old console titles like SSX3 and such.

After all of these years of questing for access to forgotten titles and oftentimes succeeding in gaining said access, i can respond to the question of how often i think i might play said games if i got my hands on them, with the following assertion:

Universally, i would play them for between 1-4 hours then never touch them again. After being confronted by their dated gameplay.

Last edited:

Eevee86

Doubt I'll ever use it. Never went back to my PS3 or 360. Really only have an itch to go back to retro consoles from time to time.

DelireMan7

I don't know the official info (not interested at all in hardware specification) but I have the feeling each gen I heard about retro compatibility but never see it (for Playstation at least).

I would be very happy to replay my discs of PS2, 3 and 4 on the new PS5. If I have to download the games I already own the disc, I am not interested.

Enjay

Banned
:messenger_unamused: at people thinking there's even the slightest chance that anything before the ps4 will be compatible with ps5.

If it happens, a lot actually. I have a large backlog I would appreciate being able to visit in the next gen. Especially, considering there's a chance that there will be extended periods of drought between games given how prolonged development cycles have become nowadays.

:messenger_unamused: at people thinking there's even the slightest chance that anything before the ps4 will be compatible with ps5.

Part of me wants to think that Kutaragi's guest appearence on the recent PS state of play is an implication that he's consulting Sony on emulation of the previous console architectures.

Last edited:

bigol

There won't be backwards compatibility behind Ps4 unfortunately. They would have told so if that was the case. At best they will release select Ps1-Ps2-Ps3 games on PS Store and we will have to rebuy them.

Last edited:

DW74

I don’t expect the back-compat will be what folks are hoping for.

On Xbox side, I firmly believe that it will be only what’s contained in the back-compat program. I seriously doubt that I will be able to pull out Mechassault and throw it into the new Xbox.

On Sony side, I doubt it’ll be more than PS4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom