• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With back compat going full tilt next gen, just how much do you expect to use it?

So we are expecting both Sony and MS to give back compat all the way through all console generations. But in reality, just how much are you going to use it?
For me I think this current gen is the only ones that I will happily keep and continue to play after the XSX is released. I cannot see me going back to OG Xbox games, and most 360 games (and I have a ton of them).
I fired up the old OG Xbox and tried to play a few games and just couldn't stick at it as the lower quality graphics actually bugged me.
With the PS5, there are still some stunning looking PS4 games that will totally hold up next gen, even without any boost from the PS5 hardware. But could PS owners really see themselves going back and enjoying PS1 games? Or PS 2 even?

I'm glad that both companies are doing it, but I am a superficial person, and I need my pretty graphics.

Matt_Fox

SSX Tricky from PS2 will be pretty sweet to revisit, as will Burnout 3..

I've also got a friend who plays coop zombies and Spec Ops with me from the older Call Of Duty games, so they'll get some play.

I'll predominantly play next gen titles I'm sure (because new, shiny and exciting) but there are plenty of fun arcade style older titles with amazing gameplay that I'll revisit on occasion I'm sure - it'll be a great feature to have!

CeeJay

I will probably use it a similar amount to how much I have used it this generation. There are some games on the 360 that have not had any equivelants or simply have not been bettered, I will probably keep going back to these. A few examples;

Viva Piñata (OK yes its part or Rare Replay)
Skate 3
Crazy Taxi
KOTOR

If however there are better equivalents on current gen then I probably wouldn't use it so much.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I will only get a next gen console once my current gen one dies. So...yeah!

I will probably use it a similar amount to how much I have used it this generation. There are some games on the 360 that have not had any equivelants or simply have not been bettered, I will probably keep going back to these. A few examples;

Viva Piñata (OK yes its part or Rare Replay)
Skate 3
Crazy Taxi
KOTOR

If however there are better equivalents on current gen then I probably wouldn't use it so much.
Out of all my 360 games, the only ones that I currently have loaded up on my One X are Alan Wake and RDR.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If Sony do BC properly, I'll spend a good amount of time with PS1/2/3 titles every year for sure. I've got plenty of digital titles locked to my PS3, it'd be great if I could move them over and sell that.

About 50% of my gaming time will be spent revisiting/replaying games from my current gen collection (and...ahem, taking the shrink wrap off and installing a lot of them for the first time), just like I have done this gen.

Mr Hyde

If PS5 runs back comp of all previous gens I will use it a lot. Love playing retro games and I have a huge collection of older PS games. Fuck graphics, a good game is a good game, regardless of when it was released.

Psajdak

Banned
As someone who plays games in order of release, if I decide to buy PS5, it will definitely not be because of PS5 games, but first and foremost for, hopefully, previous generations titles running at higher framerates.

And even that is only AFTER I finish playing previous games in those series - for instance, I wouldn't start playing latest God of War, without being done with GoW games before it.

That being said, I kinda really doubt PS5 will run anything before PS4, so I guess old hardware is still the best option.

A lot. I plan on trading in my PS4 and Xbone for the PS5 and Series X. I've learned that having all these old consoles collect dust is pretty useless to me. My house doesn't need to be a museum.

dan76

Hang on, the PS5 might be back compatible all the way back to psx? I don't believe it. If it's true it will be the first time in 20 years that I've bought a launch model console. Can't be true. I'd use it a ton.

If the Xbox is region free back compatible I'd be able to play all the 360 import shmups... I get one of those too. Jeez.

SSX Tricky from PS2 will be pretty sweet to revisit, as will Burnout 3..

I've also got a friend who plays coop zombies and Spec Ops with me from the older Call Of Duty games, so they'll get some play.

I'll predominantly play next gen titles I'm sure (because new, shiny and exciting) but there are plenty of fun arcade style older titles with amazing gameplay that I'll revisit on occasion I'm sure - it'll be a great feature to have!
Pretty much this. There's a good few older games I either missed at tge time or want to have another crack at.

SSX Tricky is definitely my number one desire to revist too, if only because that game showed me my then girlfriend, now wife, was really something special.

That was a game I'd 100% completed, loved to a ridiculous degree, and the first time we played it against each other, we both had the same favourite track, set personal bests/high scores and crossed the finish line at the exact same moment, down to the hundreth of the second.

Between that and the celebratory sex afterwards it was one of my most awesome evenings ever.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
A lot. I’ve really wanted to revisit some games for a while, but haven’t had the time or room to hook up old consoles (or in some cases, the old TVs that SD visuals play much better on), and I also passed on Xbox this generation, so there hasn’t been much of a chance for me to do that.

With how launches tend to be, I might just be using my new system to mainly catch up on my favorites at first.

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
BC is really important to me tbh. Old graphics aren't really a turn off for me as long as the game still holds up from a gameplay and/or story perspective. I regularly played/still play PS1 games on the PS2, Gamecube and Virtual Console games on the Wii, Xbox games on the 360, Wii/GC/VC games on the WiiU, and Xbox/360 games on the Xbox One.

Having all my favorite classic games playable on newer systems of the same brand is great, especially with the precedent Microsoft set with the X1 of enhancing games through BC. I can play OG Xbox games like Ninja Gaiden Black in basically native 1080p-4k; pretty much it's a free remaster. It's something PC has done forever that's finally come to consoles.

It's the one feature that may make me jump on next gen sooner than I did this gen, since I'll be able to play enhanced current gen while waiting for new games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Also, I’m really hoping we see the current generation of games look and run way better on the next-generation consoles, with official updates for them and all.

I probably couldn’t take advantage, but it would be awesome if we could get those games running at 8K, or alternatively, 120 FPS.

bellome

I have 100s of games from current and previous gens still I will use next Gen consoles to play next Gen titles only.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

That was a game I'd 100% completed, loved to a ridiculous degree, and the first time we played it against each other, we both had the same favourite track, set personal bests/high scores and crossed the finish line at the exact same moment, down to the hundreth of the second.

Me too, I played it so much that even though its twenty years ago I could play it tomorrow and still remember every little shortcut and route!

The PS2 had those funny little memory cards that plugged in next to the game pads. I suspect that playing on PS5 with backwards compatibility you regrettably might not be able to save the high scores.

Mr Hyde

Hang on, the PS5 might be back compatible all the way back to psx?

It's only a rumor so far. A couple of outlets and youtubers have hinted that Sony will run full BC of all previous gens with PS5, even PS3, but nothing is confirmed, except BC for PS4. Personally I think Sony will only have BC for PS4, and run BC of older gen via PS Now instead.

ksdixon

I'm only expecting the already-confirmed-by-sony ps4 back compatiblity. I can't allow myself the heartache to hope for PS1/PS2/PS3 BC if it doesn't happen.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I don't expect to use it much. Rarely used it on the xbox. At most I'd probably use it in the beginning when there isn't much games to play.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Less than I'd want, more than I can realistically think at the moment.
Make those games available legally and I'll play them. There's so much I couldn't afford at the time and I still want to play.

I sold my ps4 cuz ps5 will be bc. So yeah, I plan to play tlou2, ghost of thusima on ps5. As for older titles, ps1, ps2, if the ps5 has that kind of backwards compatability, I highly doubt I'll ever use it. PC emulators offer so much more for those games.

RSB

Banned
XB1 BC has made me buy many great games from last gen that I wouldn't have played otherwise (Killer is Dead, Catherine, Call of Duty 2, just to name a few) and it also gave me the chance to revisit some of my favorite games from previous generations without having to use the original hardware, some of them at much higher resolutions (Mirror's Edge, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gears of War 2...) So yeah, I will use it for sure, probably even more than I do now if PS5 is also going to have it.

Right now I'm debating if I should wait till Xbox Series X to play Sekiro, which hopefully will work at 60fps (instead of the 35-45 fps it does on XB1X) Same with Dark Souls 3 on PS5.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

If full compatibility is really a going to be a thing for the PS5, then I imagine I'll spend the first few months playing BC games more than new ones. :) I'm just waiting for it to be 100% confirmed by Sony before I start buying some PS2 & PS3 games. ;)

Psykodad

Banned
Barely.
Maybe some current gen mp games until the first next-gen must-have mp releases, but otherwise it's just the thought of BC that counts and nothing more.

Saber

Gold Member
If ends up right? A lot.
Wouldn't waste time not using a bunch of old ass PS2 and PS3 games. Miss some of them alot.

Ten_Fold

If I can play my ps1 and 2 game disc on my ps5, I will use it pretty often. Gives me a reason to finish up some classic games.

Xeaker

My PS2 is broken for a 2 years now, so I will play alot of PS2 games again. And of course I will play my favorite PS1 games too on the PS5.

johntown

Banned
If it is done right with good up-scaling options I will start using that over my PC for PS2 and PS3 games. If it is just some barebones emulation that runs at native resolution etc. I will be sticking with PC emulation.

I'll pick up a PS5 to play the PS4 games I've missed since I bought an X. Then i'll buy the X version of the XSX to miss out on the X and XSX games I've missed while playing the PS5...

fallingdove

It depends how it works. If I can play my PSX games in widescreen 4K with some filters, I will likely use it a ton.

If it only emulates the games to look like they did when they launched, I’ll probably pass on the feature.

Playing through God of War 3 remastered recently I realized how disinterested I am in prioritizing games from the previous generation when there are so many new games I haven’t had a chance to play.

GV82

Often, there’s been many times where I wish i had the option to play ps3 games on my ps4 without streaming and I would love to try a lot of ps2 games that I missed out that aren’t available.

P.C players have this option permanently so why not us console players? And was one of the reasons I bought a xbox for bc too

Also if you’re a Nintendo player who doesn’t replay Super Mario World at least once a generation or more I know I do.

small_law

I looked at my copy of Castlevania Lament of Innocence yesterday and thought "that wasn't that bad, was it?" So yeah, I'm kind of dying to play some PS2 games.

pr0cs

At the start likely a lot considering how long it usually takes to get next gen titles out.
After a year or two probably less since hopefully by then we'll get some next gen exclusive titles.
I know for sure I'll skip TLOU2 and Last Guardian to play on the PS5,
If I don't play Cyberpunk on PC at launch I'll probably wait for next gen consoles for it as well.

Old Retro

I'd love to revisit Metal Gear Rising Revengance and Max Payne 3. I tried in vain to repair my dead PS3 a few times, but was unable to resurrect it. :messenger_crying: I'd be more likely to get a PS5 soon after launch if it played at least PS3 titles.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Whichever console is going to give me the most number of games I can play on a single system, without having to swap consoles or have multiple machines hooked up, is going to win my purchase.

I've got a ton of PS1 Classics on PSN (almost all of them released, in fact) that I'd be pleased as punch to boot up my PS5 and have them waiting for me to download/play. As it is, I think about doing that and I think about hooking up my PS3, signing in, etc with it's slow-ass UI and I always just say "fuck that" and skip out. Meanwhile I can launch my Xbox One X and enjoy a lot of OG and 360 games right along with my Xbox One games (some even X Enhanced) and that's exactly what I'm looking to get out of next-gen.

Fancy smancy graphics and new games are fine and all, but sometimes I'm in the mood to play older games. Give me that and I won't even care that I'm trapped in your walled garden ecosystem.

Top Bottom