• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter themed games

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Why are there so few of them?

I've yet to play any game that can surpass The Division 1 on that regard.

But besides that, are there any games with such atmospheres? I guess Ragnarok and Frostpunk but not much else comes to mind. I mean sure, there are some few snowy zones/areas in some rpg's like Skyrim, WoW, etc but what I want is the full game to be winter-themed which is very rare. Why are the devs avoiding snowy environments?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
1112.jpg

intbal

Forza Horizon 4
Mafia 2
Cold Fear
The Thing
Cryostasis
True Crime New York City
Icewind Dale 1 and 2

I think the first and second Deus Ex games were partially set in winter.
Some of the Splinter Cell Double Agent missions.
Ghost Recond Summit Strike for the original Xbox has some excellent winter missions.
The second region in the first Mercenaries game is a snowy area.
Portions of Dungeons and Dragons Heroes.

Last edited:

Skelterz

If your into turn based JRPG’s and you like snow then I am setsuna is a decent little game published by SE, made by one of there smaller Dev teams it’s like chrono trigger enjoy.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The expansion that added the horrible Clutch Claw.

I would argue it gave the pretty pointless mounting system some actual utility. Before then it was just a free knockdown, now it allowed you to trigger the environmental traps they created around the maps. Yes there is the argument it trivialised some fights, but my argument would be to simply look at Rise... that was actually trivial.

Old Generations style is dead, people just need to get over that fact. I don't see mounting with bonus mechanics going anywhere.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

Oh man the Division, this takes me back. The atmosphere was so great! One of the best, that snow setting, I loved it. Makes me wanna play again... Unfortunately I don't feel like shooting a dude 300 times in the head to kill them lol. But it got me thinking, the Ghost Recon games include snow, and you can configure those games way more to be very realistic, maybe check those out OP?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Since everyone already mentioned the best ones the most recent one I can think of is Hogwarts Legacy

Like Bully, there's a whole part of the game that takes place during the Winter/Christmas time and it's extremely well done. Decorations everywhere. Snow on the ground. Characters dressed appropriately. Very fitting music.

If I had pics Id post them :messenger_confounded:

Trilobit

I very much enjoyed the snowy parts of Minecraft. Building a cabin with a fireplace and taking a walk in the snow was pretty sweet.

iu

The Long Dark as others have mentioned is pretty much a winter simulator. It's one of the games I keep returning to get my fix. I liked the mountains in RDR2 too, but the cold aspect was very underutilized. I wish they would have made it more challenging.

Sly Raccoon 2 had some very entertaining winter levels. The music was top notch and it was cozy to sneak into a cabin to rob some poor henchelks.

iu

Ulysses 31

Not the whole game but the dead city level in Metro Exodus is visually striking none the less with the radiation adding to the already grim atmosphere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom