• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Don't Pre-Order Halo Infinite

Why do people preorder any game? To get a gold colored motorcycle, a wallpaper, 2 extra health herbs in case you need to heal or 1 extra vehicle? Its so stupid, I can understand pre-ordering a physical Collectors Edition because that might be out of stock but this, nah.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't think they could push out content fast enough to keep people subscribed year round. Like an MMO, do your shit come back in 6 months, do that and come back in 6 more.

They want to keep offering new games and get you playing a bunch of stuff, and then going back for thier new updates, that's how they keep you subscribed.

If you are only subscribed to play Halo then why not just buy Halo? Save money and play the 1 game you want.

I don't know if this will happen, but if I were in charge, I'd make the single player episodic. The game that comes out at launch will be the same size as other Halo games, but won't have an ending. I'd then keep releasing missions every 2-3 months to keep people subscribing to GP.

This possibly could be the plan considering they have said they want this game to last ten years.

Of course more games will release on GP to keep people coming back for more, but for your big hitters like Halo and Elder Scrolls, it makes sense to turn them into live service games to keep people paying and coming back for more.

It’s on gamepass, why would anyone preorder anything coming to it? Sure, some will, but those are the outliers.

They are already rolling out the sp like a live game introducing features over time to keep people subscribed to see it evolve.
People who don't have Gamepass.

reksveks

I don't know if this will happen, but if I were in charge, I'd make the single player episodic. The game that comes out at launch will be the same size as other Halo games, but won't have an ending. I'd then keep releasing missions every 2-3 months to keep people subscribing to GP.

Harder imo to get a good critical success (as in critics reviews) with a smaller single player game. I think that's some Microsoft needs both for halo's reputation and GamePass.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Too late, already pre-ordered the Amazon exclusive steel case version :')

It's on game pass anyway, if you're honestly worried about the game, you can pretty much try it out risk free :)

Why should I preorder a game that's on game pass?
To support the developer and publisher so they can make more high quality products for you? Assuming that you do enjoy their product and the product you've purchased is of high quality standards to your preference.

To give you an example- I had absolute 0 interest in Psychonaunts 2, but because it was on Game Pass it did not cost me to try it. It's now one of my top favorite games of this year after beating it, gonna 100% achievement hunt now and I am considering it purchasing to show some love.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I'll play the campaign by getting Gamepass for a month. Unless I find out the campaign will be in chunks and released in parts as seasons. In which case I'll wait until it's "done".
Depends what you consider chunks or seasons. Infinite campaign is launching with a complete one, but all new "sequels" will be releasing on Halo Infinite kind of like what MCC is right now for the next while.

Hopefully Microsoft will launch some positive news about the game closer to launch but at the moment I'm just not feeling confident about the game. Maybe Microsoft have just handled the whole thing really badly as they did with the announcement but there are just far too many unknowns at the moment for this non 343 Industries Halo fan.

cireza

Probably going to buy the game day-one. I don't see the problem here, and the game will have updates for years to come. This will definitely be worth the money in the end, exactly like the MCC.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
It’s on gamepass, why would anyone preorder anything coming to it? Sure, some will, but those are the outliers.

They are already rolling out the sp like a live game introducing features over time to keep people subscribed to see it evolve.
Hold on, after the reaing the gamepass threads that you and all the other Sony fanboys on here frequent, I thought that Gamepass didn't have many subscribers?

Also your part about rolling out the SP is just utter bollocks and a staple of the shit that you spew on here and are allowed to get away with for some reason. Everybody knows that 343 don't have the foresight or organisation to do something like that. It is coming in like that because they are useless and the their management team needs to go. Not the gamepass conspiracy theories that you sony fanboys are talking about.

Shmunter

Hold on, after the reaing the gamepass threads that you and all the other Sony fanboys on here frequent, I thought that Gamepass didn't have many subscribers?

Also your part about rolling out the SP is just utter bollocks and a staple of the shit that you spew on here and are allowed to get away with for some reason. Everybody knows that 343 don't have the foresight or organisation to do something like that. It is coming in like that because they are useless and the their management team needs to go. Not the gamepass conspiracy theories that you sony fanboys are talking about.
Jesus, not everyone is out to get you, take the anti paranoid medicine and let logic into your life..

If you for one second put away the feverish fanboyism and look at the comparative unit sales numbers and direct quotes from the devs about halo being a live game hence why coop can come later etc. maybe you’d be at peace?

MikeM

People who preorder are asking to get shafted. Have we not learned anything from Cyberpunk and the countless other games launched significantly broken?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I’ve paid my Gamepass money and they say I can go ahead and install it, but I will wait until late November to install.

i wasn't gonna. only idiots pre order games.

i'll wait for reviews and gameplay before deciding what to do. the options are:

a. buy directly from steam at full price. steam wants £50.
b. get a cheap key for steam. probably will be able to get it for about £30-40
c. if it doesn't seem worth the price of a cheap key i'll buy a month of gamepass and play it on that for £11.

I wouldn't preorder a dumpster fire either.
try harder bitch

Last edited:

Buhaj

343 is whole fully incompetent. I'm not sure why Microsoft has placed so much trust in these guys after running the franchise in to the ground. Even before Halo Infinite.
Never played Halo, but curious what they did that "run the franchise to the ground"?

Buhaj

I'm assuming this means the campaign will be updated with new missions and content, as well the multiplayer.

I think it's a great idea. It means single player games will always be updated, plus it means people will always stay subscribed to the service.
It's a great idea for Microsoft for sure, for players it's pretty bad - I don't think anyone buys a single-player game to play a few new missions every six months for several years.

Never played Halo, but curious what they did that "run the franchise to the ground"?
basically people are mad cause they ain't Bungie.

Bungie made Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach. 343 took over (and Bungie went to make Destiny). They done 4 + 5 (and other Halo games) and of course are working on Infinite.

People want the "good old days" back where Bungie made Halo. There is a lot of nostalgia for the Bungie games so people are upset because they think the 343 games suck and can't live up to what Bungie did. personally, i think it's just a case of severe nostalgia and being unable to take their rose tinted glasses off. I enjoyed the Bungie games (never played them until a few years ago so have zero nostalgia) but think that Halo games only got better with each release. At least gameplay wise. IMO the only things i didn't like about Halo 5 was less Master Chief and some annoying boss scenarios. Was it the best Halo game? nah. was it a bad game? nah. after i finished it i remember thinking i can't wait for Halo 6.

the bungie games might have been damn good when they came out but they haven't aged well at all. if people want a Halo game to be anything like the Bungie games then that's not gonna make a good game. also, even if Bungie did come back to do Halo it wouldn't matter. they are only Bungie in name now and seeing the state Destiny is in...it's not something i'd wish to see happen to Halo.

halo infinite feels like a kind of soft reboot of the series. because of the hate Halo 5 got i think it made 343 got in that direction. instead of going straight onto Halo 6 they seem to be resetting the story and going in a completely different direction and abandoning the planned trilogy of 4, 5, 6.

Last edited:

saintjules

Why do people preorder any game?

I can understand for physical. There's been a few games I wanted a physical copy. When I didn't pre-order I'd go to the local store and they were sold out as well as a few other stores in the area. Would have to wait a couple of days to see more in stock. The first time I experienced this was getting Xenogears at release.

If you're a day 1 physical buyer I can see the reason to pre-order. That is, if it's a big title more so.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's a great idea for Microsoft for sure, for players it's pretty bad - I don't think anyone buys a single-player game to play a few new missions every six months for several years.

Yeah, if I was in charge of MS I'd be the most hated person in gaming.

I'd make all single player games episodic, plus make all games exclusive to Gamepass only. Subscription numbers would go up then because people would have to subscribe if they wanted access to their games. I'd then triple the monthly fee!

*Evil laugh*.

soulbait

1. Don't pre-order anything, especially if you buy digital. What is the point?
  2. Most are getting this through GamePass anyways.
  3. Since when was $60 for a FPS single player campaign a bad thing? Games like Doom, Wolfenstein, FarCry, Dishonored, Prey and more are all FPS that are primarily focused on single player. Sure some of these might have a multiplayer component added, but most people play these for the first person experience.
  4. Halo's campaign is usually long enough to justify the full asking price, IMO. I rarely play competitive multiplayer anymore. I just don't see the complaint.
Don't pre-order, but not because of the issues outlined in the article. Don't pre-order, because pre-ordering is dumb. Even if buying physical, there will be enough copies of the game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Easily. At the same time, it might become the highest grossing Halo game ever. Ironic (but not really).

That's an interesting way to look at it. I'd say Halo Infinite is the poster child for MS' true future vision in every way possible. They've checked off all the boxes when it comes to being able to play this game.

- Multiplayer is free to play
- On GamePass
- On multiple generations of consoles.
- Selling for $60 (not $70).
- Open Beta for people to play months before the game comes out.
- Day One on Console AND PC.

If Halo Infinite doesn't generate a billion dollars, something has went horribly wrong!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To be fair with the state games launch in these days, gamers shouldnt be preordering any game.
And in this digital age, whats the point of preordering anyway?

HkKF.gif

Top Bottom