• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Don't Pre-Order Halo Infinite

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My expectations are very much in check for this one. No one is really expecting it to be amazing. If it is, we'll all be pleasantly surprised. And as others have said, since it's on GamePass it's an uncomplicated purchasing decision.

Why should I preorder a game that's on game pass?
Exactly, you can play the game for free on game pass before you decide to buy it.

I don’t understand why people still have this much trust in 343. It was smart to make the multiple player free, they have to work on building up the trust they loss.

Last edited:

Aion002

Sure... People should stop pre-ordering stuff.

But singling out Halo Infinite...

fucked up GIF

Dabaus

Banned
I don’t understand the point of this article. I mean I get it from a media enterprise with integrity and looking out for its readers, but windows central is not that. It’s a propaganda mouthpiece, like most of not all western gaming media for Xbox and gamespass. So reading between the lines here I’m thinking the intent is to tell people not buy the game to subscribe to game pass instead? Or is it that they see the writing on the wall with Xbox as a brand?

I know some people here think Microsoft is going to just lose money and market share indefinitely on Xbox because they can, but that’s not how real businesses work outside of fanboy fantasies. If something isn’t making dollars then it doesn’t make sense is a phrased use. And please don’t cite 3 billion in revenue. Revenue isn’t profit. Halo was supposed to move the needle on gamepass subs at launch and now they’ll be lucky if the game is even good a year later. That means a lot of pressure will be on starfield to deliver and there’s no way that doesn’t get delayed either.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Holy shit this guy is hilarious; he published this article at the exact same time as an article complete with referral links for pre-ordering the Halo console, that comes with Halo Infinite lol

CeGpc59.png

iHaunter

Holy shit this guy is hilarious; he published this article at the exact same time as an article complete with referral links for pre-ordering the Halo console, that comes with Halo Infinite lol

CeGpc59.png
You can like the console and not the game... I don't see the connection here? Just proves he's not biased.

Just owned yourself bud.

Gravemind

Why would I ever pre order a game whos availability is infinite through digital download. Pre-ordering is the single most archiac and unnecessary practice in gaming.

It's a practice that really needs to come to an end.

IntentionalPun

What do you mean for halo in particular? Halo was the biggest MP game on consoles until COD really took off.

And I'm saying it was an even bigger single player game.

Halo 2, was the sequel to a game that didn't even have online multiplayer. Halo was a massive singleplayer phenom before it ever was that big for multiplayer. Not that people didn't play local multiplayer, but nothing compared to SP. (and yes I played at lan center businesses created almost specifically for Halo, it was big, but the story was what was talked about online)

There's a reason these companies keep sinking far more money in big SP campaigns for FPS games. Because they sell units.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I have to agree, their continual insistence on hiding the campaign over the past few months is giving me serious “cdpr hiding the console ports of cyberunk” vibes. I wont be surprised if the campaign is an unsatisfying and incomplete mess. The review embargo will probably only allow reviews for mp to go up before release. Seriously, after an extra year, how the fuck is this campaign coming in so hot?

Fredrik

And the snowball is rolling… Let’s see how Microsoft choose to tackle this. I’m guessing they’re doing a separate event like Sony did with Horizon Forbidden West, but the clock is ticking fast now that even Windows Central puts up an article like this.

MrFunSocks

Banned
And I'm saying it was an even bigger single player game.

Halo 2, was the sequel to a game that didn't even have online multiplayer. Halo was a massive singleplayer phenom before it ever was that big for multiplayer. Not that people didn't play local multiplayer, but nothing compared to SP. (and yes I played at lan center businesses created almost specifically for Halo, it was big, but the story was what was talked about online)

There's a reason these companies keep sinking far more money in big SP campaigns for FPS games. Because they sell units.
Who keeps “sinking far more money in big so campaigns for FPS games”? Battlefield? Nope. COD? Nope. Halo? Nope.

Halos multiplayer has been the driving force behind it since halo 2. Even halo 1 had amazing and loved multiplayer. With halo 3 there wasn’t even a question, it was a multiplayer juggernaut.

IntentionalPun

Who keeps “sinking far more money in big so campaigns for FPS games”? Battlefield? Nope. COD? Nope. Halo? Nope.

Halos multiplayer has been the driving force behind it since halo 2. Even halo 1 had amazing and loved multiplayer. With halo 3 there wasn’t even a question, it was a multiplayer juggernaut.
COD? Yes... Halo? Yes...

Huh?

And you seem confused... Halo can be a multiplayer juggernaut and still have more people who care about the campaign. You will be hard pressed to find a poll that argues otherwise really.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Try telling that to the thousands of people going into GameStop to preorder it. That’s still how GameStop operates.

Every year that shrinks more and more.......in this case I bet it's less than 10% of the overall sales due to online purchases and gamepass....

Last edited:

sendit

343 is whole fully incompetent. I'm not sure why Microsoft has placed so much trust in these guys after running the franchise in to the ground. Even before Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
COD? Yes... Halo? Yes...

Huh?

And you seem confused... Halo can be a multiplayer juggernaut and still have more people who care about the campaign. You will be hard pressed to find a poll that argues otherwise really.
You think COD has been focussing on the single player? Seriously?

Show me a poll that shows that more people play halo for the single player than the multiplayer. Halo didn’t sit on top of or near the top of the Xbox live most played charts for months/years because of single player lol.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

You think COD has been focussing on the single player? Seriously?
SP campaigns are a massive investment of time and resources.. so yes, I think COD still continues to spend more money on them than they do multiplayer.

And it's why (a part of why) a huge amount of consumers buy their games, as not everyone plays multiplayer.. or they play both. I'm not saying specifically for COD that's over 50%.. but for Halo? I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

All a moot point now with F2P mplayer mods and the like.. but Halo has a massive singleplayer/co-op fanbase.. and I would bet it's significantly larger than the multiplayer fanbase (which is still large.)

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
SP campaigns are a massive investment of time and resources.. so yes, I think COD still continues to spend more money on them than they do multiplayer.

And it's why (a part of why) a huge amount of consumers buy their games, as not everyone plays multiplayer.. or they play both. I'm not saying specifically for COD that's over 50%.. but for Halo? I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

All a moot point now with F2P mplayer mods and the like.. but Halo has a massive singleplayer/co-op fanbase.. and I would bet it's significantly larger than the multiplayer fanbase (which is still large.)
I don’t know what world you’re living in if you think activision put more money and time into their campaigns than their multiplayer, but it’s not the real one.

A few facts for you btw:

Only 58% of halo 5 players completed the first mission of the game.

34% completed mission 9 of the campaign.

22% completed the campaign on normal difficulty or higher

27% of people played at least 5 match made slayer MP matches.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

22% completed the campaign on normal difficulty or higher

27% of people played at least 5 match made slayer MP matches.
Almost as many accounts completed the entire campaign as played 5 MP matches and you think this makes your point for you?

Either way I'll just agree to disagree at this point.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Almost as many accounts completed the entire campaign as played 5 MP matches and you think this makes your point for you?
Less than a *quarter* of people that bought it even completed the campaign lol. Just over half of them even finished the first *mission*. Tell me how that proves your point?

Slayer is one single multiplayer mode in the game. More people played MP than completed the campaign. Fact.

Again - only 58% of all players even finished the first level of the campaign on any difficulty.

It’s almost unbelievable that someone could think SP gaming is bigger than Mp gaming for these franchises in 2021 lol. You think COD sells 20 million copies a year for the 4 hour throwaway campaign? You think people just keep replaying the on rails campaign over and over and over, day after day, to keep the the games on the top of the player charts every week? Incredible.

Again - only a little over half the players of halo 5 even finished one. Single. Level. Of the campaign. I even completed the campaign even though I only bought it for the MP lol.

That means that at the absolute maximum, 58% of people bought it for the single player. Of those 58%, less than half them even completed the campaign they bought the game for. Spent seem very likely does it?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

And barely a quarter of players finished five slayer matches. Five. Matches.

And I never said COD was bigger for singpleplayer. I said they still spend big money making campaigns because it ships units.

Enjoy being obnoxious bro. <3

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
And barely a quarter of players finished five slayer matches. Five. Matches.
That would hold more weight if it was the only multiplayer mode. It’s not though.

And it’s still more than completed the game lol. There’s literally zero data to support what youre saying.

Last edited:

Artistic

I wonder if Infinite's F2P MP will kill off Halo 5's MP completely. Only heard good so far from the Flight Test, but H5's MP is top tier.

Kagey K

Banned
I wonder if Infinite's F2P MP will kill off Halo 5's MP completely. Only heard good so far from the Flight Test, but H5's MP is top tier.
I think MCC multiplayer pretty much decimated (or at least fractured) the Halo 5 MP community.

Hopefully Infinite will reunite us all.

I agree Halo 5 Multi was great. Especially after 4. 😅

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

That would hold more weight if it was the only multiplayer mode. It’s not though.

And it’s still more than completed the game lol. There’s literally zero data to support what youre saying.

You are comparing an achievement with a large time investment to one an achievement hunter w/ Gamepass could finish in a few minutes. Completion rates for popular SP only games aren't great .. considering Halo 5 is on gamepass, and has multiplayer, 22% is pretty amazing really. and you'd be hard pressed to tell me how many people actually put a significant amount of time into anything multiplayer based, since the only thing tracked is 5 games, and the highest number aint that high lol

Last edited:
To be fair with the state games launch in these days, gamers shouldnt be preordering any game.
And in this digital age, whats the point of preordering anyway?
Some exclusive collector's editions sell out really quickly (for example steelbooks of Sony exclusives), if you're into that kind of physical stuff.

Or if you just want to play a game day 1? Again, I'm talking physical versions now. Of course, this is a minority of all games, but it's one example of when it's wise to pre-order.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
How so? Neither game is ranked particularly high on Most Played games on XBL(MCC 29th, H5 49th).
By splitting the player base over a few games.

Halo would be higher up the charts if the entire playerbase was on 1 game and even in MCC its fractured into so many Playlists.

For the record both games being in the top 50 for a system with thousands of games is particularly high I'd say. Sure it's not #1 forever like H3 was on 360, but for both games being as old as they are that's still a respectable showing.

S0ULZB0URNE

CeGpc59.png
???
He can't criticize the GAME and promote the console?

That's the issue with todays gamers... you take criticism as somebody being a fanboy or against a brand/product.

I like many brands but am very vocal when they do shit wrong.

supernova8

Banned
If you still pre-order Halo campaign despite seeing practically zero footage since Craig, you're a fool.
There. No point reading that long article. This is all you need. Plain and simple.

Inb4 "Sony fanboy!", pretty much goes for any game regardless of the platform. Don't pre-order Horizon FW (not just yet, see whether they show off more around winter) or Zelda BOTW 2 (they really have showed fucking nothing). It has nothing to do with the platform. Just stop pre-ordering games in general, but especially the ones that don't even remotely deserve a pre-order.

Last edited:

reksveks

CeGpc59.png

That's not contradictory at all. Also given the fact that we have gotten used to a ad-supported Internet, are we really that surprised to have an article with referral links? As long as that article is informative and helpful for the readers, then it's still worth posted.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'll play the campaign by getting Gamepass for a month. Unless I find out the campaign will be in chunks and released in parts as seasons. In which case I'll wait until it's "done".

You'll be waiting a long time.

Microsoft know that people could sub for a month, play the single player campaign and then unsubscribe. To counter this, Halo Infinite is supposed to last ten years.

Now, I don't think this has been confirmed (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm assuming this means the campaign will be updated with new missions and content, as well the multiplayer.

I think it's a great idea. It means single player games will always be updated, plus it means people will always stay subscribed to the service.

Kagey K

Banned
You'll be waiting a long time.

Microsoft know that people could sub for a month, play the single player campaign and then unsubscribe. To counter this, Halo Infinite is supposed to last ten years.

Now, I don't think this has been confirmed (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm assuming this means the campaign will be updated with new missions and content, as well the multiplayer.

I think it's a great idea. It means single player games will always be updated, plus it means people will always stay subscribed to the service.
I don't think they could push out content fast enough to keep people subscribed year round. Like an MMO, do your shit come back in 6 months, do that and come back in 6 more.

They want to keep offering new games and get you playing a bunch of stuff, and then going back for thier new updates, that's how they keep you subscribed.

If you are only subscribed to play Halo then why not just buy Halo? Save money and play the 1 game you want.

supernova8

Banned
If you pre-order anything in the digital age that has no risk of limited supply you are an idiot.

Made it even more concise for you.
Awesome, should keep shortening it and then get some rich dude to pay for it to be a sponsored sign at future physical E3 events.

"Don't fucking pre-order any of the shit you see here today"

Kagey K

Banned
Awesome, should keep shortening it and then get some rich dude to pay for it to be a sponsored sign at future physical E3 events.

"Don't fucking pre-order any of the shit you see here today"
You'd end up looking like John McClain with a sandwich board around your neck in front of the E3 Arena. 😅

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Its nice seeing sites with name like WindowsCentral stating reasonable thought against Windows-overlords.

and yeah, Destiny-1, AC:Unity, WatchDogs, BF4, Simcity, F76, CP77...never preorder anything.

Top Bottom