• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

will switch pro be a console only?

sunnysideup

Banned
Switch: console/handheld hybrid.
Switch Lite: handheld only.

switch"pro": 4k console only?

It would make alot of nintendo money grubbing sense.

Then they can sell a dirt cheap "4k" low end console for premium monies to farty old westerners like myself.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
There is a 86% chance your two sentences are conflicting.

hangover-calculations-gif-9.gif

TexMex

I’d be all for it, but no way. They get too much mileage out of it being a handheld. Especially in Japan.

Pejo

I'd prefer a beefier hybrid, but I'd settle with a console only. Whatever it takes to get even solid 30FPS for all games across the board at the very least.

Skifi28

Console - coffee maker hybrid. There will also be a more expensive and cooler version that switches to a fridge. This is straight from an insider, but don't tell anyone.

Breakage

The play anywhere aspect of the Switch is what differentiates it from Sony's and Microsoft's offerings. I don't see Nintendo dropping the screen.

NickFire

I'm kind of doubtful that Nintendo would be targeting 4k in earnest, and I'm really doubtful they abandon the uniqueness of Switch that brought them so much success. My guess is that a pro version will be more focused on enhanced storage and marginal, if any, performance increases. I just don't see them deviating from their winning formula to chase that enthusiast money which, let's be real, they already get due to their first party games.

A Switch 2 that plays the Switch cartridges and gives them a performance boost would be more interesting to me than a console-only midgen refresh. I'd get use out of a console-only unit, but the family puts an equal amount of time in handheld mode.

Chastten

Banned
Please no. I spent close to 800 hours on Switch last year because it's hybrid and it allows me to play whatever, whenever.

I really think they're going forward with the hybrid concept, but with Nintendo being Nintendo, who knows.

lachesis

I highly doubt Nintendo is actually ever going back to console at this point, unless there's specific benefit in a conceptual, not just visual/technical level to play in front of a big TV, which cannot be done on current hybrid model.

LordOfChaos

Not likely. The Switch is a Nintendo lightning in a bottle moment. They're going to do what they can in a handheld and continue on its momentum. Though I'd love stationary only Switch Pro for cheaper.

Fbh

I seriously doubt it.
At most some of the hardware will be in the dock so it can further optimize performance in docked mode while optimizing battery life in handheld mode, or something like that.

But I don't see Nintendo going for a performance focused home console. They've had massive success aiming at a different type of concept than Sony and MS, I don't think going back to a static performance focused box is in their priorities right now.

Console - coffee maker hybrid. There will also be a more expensive and cooler version that switches to a fridge. This is straight from an insider, but don't tell anyone.

"It's like a console but with a built in Nespresso machine....except at $6 per serving the capsules are somehow even more expensive"

Moogle11

Banned
Hoping it’s an upgraded hybrid. I game portable a lot, but would like the extra power, 4K etc when docked.

Magog.

Banned
It will be called the Switch U and will have a second CPU in the dock which will allow for 4k games but which is only compatible with the new Switch U handheld.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I would hope, but with it being Nintendo, they will probably make it something goofy like a VR helmet, but instead of VR it's just a regular old lcd screen displaying things like on a tv, but you tilt your head to control the camera.

sunnysideup

Banned
OG switch will still be there.

And nothing is stopping switch pro users from buying switch lite!

Nintendo makes bank on pro, and then sells you the lite as well.

The nintendo way.

It makes so much sense.

Last edited:
No way Jose, after the success of the Switch in Japan you will never see a traditional home console from Nintendo ever again, unless they go back to making detecated handhelds which would be a stupid move with the current dominance of mobile games in the market.

If you to sell gangbusters in Japan you NEED to be portable!

I believe the Switch was intened as full handheld initialy ala Switch Lite but they relized they needed to cover their bases outside of Japan so they tacked on the useless hunk of plastic to make it more like a console even though week one tech heads proved it could be connected to a TV easily with out the need for a dock.

Saber

Gold Member
That would be marvelous and I don't think its not possible. Switch Lite is an example of this.

Last edited:

Hugare

Bet on hybrid or portable consoles from Nintendo from now on.

I hope it's a Switch with additional hardware in dock and you can buy new dock to upgrade.

This would be best case scenario.

Everyone with a Switch would be able to upgrade at a low cost, at the same time, keeping compatibility with existing hardware

Would sell billions

Better screen and hardware upgrades for the tablet would be better saved for a substantial upgrade with the Switch 2 some years from now

I can see it. It would still just be running games that run on the base Switch, so it wouldn't have to be super powerful to run those games at 4K/60.

If Microsoft can get the Series S out at $300 and a full PS5 digital is $400, I could see Nintendo releasing a 4K home Switch at $300 and still turn a profit on just the hardware.

sunnysideup

Banned
I can see it. It would still just be running games that run on the base Switch, so it wouldn't have to be super powerful to run those games at 4K/60.

If Microsoft can get the Series S out at $300 and a full PS5 digital is $400, I could see Nintendo releasing a 4K home Switch at $300 and still turn a profit on just the hardware.

Exactly! Finally someone who gets it. Only with it being a console, with more space, you can use better cooling options.

In europe/america 4k/60fps console switch could sell for 400 eurobucks.

Basically playstation 4 level hardware without hard drive, discdrive sold for a premium.

Switch home is a great name too.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I hope not. I enjoy the portability of the switch sometimes.

Zannegan

That would be one way to get me to pass on it. Think about it. It's not exactly easy to switch between Switches, so they'd be forcing folks to choose between the upgrade and the Switch's biggest selling point. Not a great move, IMO, which in no way means it couldn't happen. Lol.

The best way to do it, if they were bound and determined, would be the so called "super-dock," a digital-only console, with a docking port on top. I was hoping for an upgrade to the joycons almost as much as the game hardware though.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Exactly! Finally someone who gets it. Only with it being a console, with more space, you can use better cooling options.

In europe/america 4k/60fps console switch could sell for 400 eurobucks.

Basically playstation 4 level hardware without hard drive, discdrive sold for a premium.

Switch home is a great name too.
400€ would be a suicide.

Switch at 300€ is an innovative home console transforming into a (relatively) powerful portable device.
Switch Lite at 200€ is a simpler but powerful portable device less complicated and less expensive.
Switch Pro only home at 400€ is an old gen device against the next gen at the same price.

Batiman

Banned
Everyone I know bought the lite version for their kids this Xmas. Feels like it’s slowly turning into a portable machine from my perspective. Even besides that, the switch isn’t the best for local play by Nintendo’s standards. I feel they’re slowly losing that living room experience. I used to go by my parents house and all my nieces and nephews would be all playing wii or WiiU together on the big screen. Now they’re in the corner playing solo with their own portable machine.

sunnysideup

Banned
400€ would be a suicide.

Switch at 300€ is an innovative home console transforming into a (relatively) powerful portable device.
Switch Lite at 200€ is a simpler but powerful portable device less complicated and less expensive.
Switch Pro only home at 400€ is an old gen device against the next gen at the same price.
Ok say 350 for a switch home. That is a dirt cheap console to produce. Older overclocked tech, no harddrive, no discdrive, no handheld screen. Its a chip and a controller. Nintendo will be printing monies. Fuck it they will be having monies for dessert @ 300 yurobucks.

You cannot play zeruda botw 2 4k on ps5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom