• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

will switch pro be a console only?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Why woruld they move away from the hybrid when clearly it's successful unless they are planning on two options. They have a niche that's working for them.

Either way, no way I'm buying yet another $600 console in Canada.

Zog

Banned
The speculation just continues until you get a Switch Pro or until a new console comes out and in that case, the speculation for a pro version of that console begins. It's so tiring.

Zog

Banned
Why woruld they move away from the hybrid when clearly it's successful unless they are planning on two options. They have a niche that's working for them.

Either way, no way I'm buying yet another $600 console in Canada.
They moved away from the hybrid when they released the Switch Lite.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t know how anyone can seriously consider that Nintendo can make a console capable of native 4k.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I hope it's a Switch with additional hardware in dock and you can buy new dock to upgrade.
I like this idea because the GPU is almost the only thing affected by portable mode... this way they can keep the system cool while still providing more processing power, at least for Docked mode, considering most people that play it solely docked are more dedicated players (or so i think)

"Will the Switch Pro be a console only?"

Are you asking if it will also have a compartment to keep your fried chicken warm? I'd say no. But such a device would be silly.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Its possible its just a home console. Build a Switch Pro home console to match the existing Switch Pro Controller.

like this lazy mockup

6fkRndx.jpg

It would make sense for Nintendo to have 3 types of Switches for different ways to play the same games, each shipping with different controls.

Switch Pro - home console + Pro controller ($300)
Switch - hybrid system + Joy Cons ($300)
Switch Lite - handheld with built in buttons ($200)

But its not gonna render games at any higher than 1080p. It could just have a 4K upscaling chip and HDMI 2.0 out port.

Nintendo can keep selling the regular Switch for its unique hybrid system nature, while pushing the Switch Pro as the best way to play on TVs, especially 4K TVs. And if its a dedicated home console, they can overclock the SoC to get some extra performance out of it.

Then in like 2022 or 2023 they can launch a true next gen Nintendo Switch 2.0 that has exclusive new games, etc.

Last edited:
It would sell a lot less, but I could see them maybe doing it if they're planning on marketing it as a premium system for the dedicated hobbiest gamer.

It would have to be proportionately more expensive to make up for the smaller potential sales market though, which would liekly have it comparing unfavourably with the PS5DE.

I doubt it basically.

I'd also not give a sgut about it. I've used my switch docked exactly twice since owning it. I'd be happier if it turned out to be a handheld only Switch Lite Pro, quite honestly.

Top Bottom