• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U in 2020

I'm not big on posting threads, but i picked up one yesterday and thought it would be good to get one going. So, yesterday i did some trading and picked up a Black Wii U 32Gb with a pro controller and three games: Super Mario 3d world, Sonic Transformed, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Lego Dimensions, and Lego City Undercover. I've got a list created of more games I want to pick up, as well as some modding to be able to play Gamecube games and run some emulation. I bought one back when the Wii U first came out and enjoyed it but the slow release of games and the excitement from the soon to launch PS4 caused me to trade it in on a PS4 when it released. So there are a lot of games that i missed and want to play. Plus there are some great games for my kids to enjoy. In fact, my son's eyes went wide when he saw the Lego Dimensions box and was really excited about me hooking it up. So what's everyone's thoughts on the Wii U in 2020? Any good (or bad) memories? Favorite game you love from this system?

stranno

Devil's Third is one of my favourite games, Metal Gear Solid over the top terrorists and a badass hero.

OPDLVqF.gif

Pikmin 3, of course (as well as Pikmin 1&2 New Play Control on vWii).

You can also play some Nintendo DS jewels on WiiU, the VC emulator is pretty good. And the WiiU gamepad is basically the best device ever done to emulate Nintendo DS.

Last edited:

sn0man

It’s kind of an underrated gem. OP do you have a switch? Many (not all) ports are better there.
Sonic has 5-player and so I have to get that game just for that novel feature.

sn0man

The Wii U is the perfect Nintendo console to be able to enjoy every Nintendo game made up to that point. You got your emulators, backwards compatible with the original Wii, and the ability to play GameCube games. I do t regret purchasing one at all.

was it scary to modify it to access the emulators / GameCube compatibility? How does video output of GameCube games hold up to one of those hdmi adapters?

edit: sorry, how is WiiU GameCube video quality?Wouldn’t GameCube with an hdmi adapter be better?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I wanna play Xenoblade Chronicles X so bad. It looks great. Would also replay Wind Waker HD. I think it's the best entry in the series. Very creative and fun.

It’s kind of an underrated gem. OP do you have a switch? Many (not all) ports are better there.
Sonic has 5-player and so I have to get that game just for that novel feature.
i do have a switch and have a few of the ports...Supe Mario U and Captian Toad are the ones i can think of at the moment that i know i have.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
CEMU is always an option if your rig can handle it. >.>
I agree, but Cemu is not for novices. You have the patience to tweak it.

It's easily the best experience for Breath of the Wild, but right now I can't get Twilight Princess running and Windwaker crashes. I've tried everything. Cemu is a great experience when it works.

Last edited:
Hack that motherfucker and run Gamecube and Wii games NATIVELY, plus you can inject a fuckton of VC games (including tough to emulate ones like Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon) that play perfectly. For the original line-up, you got the best one in Super Mario 3D World. Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, Mario Maker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Yoshi's Woolly World are also essential. There are a lot of great titles that got ported to the Switch, like Bayo 2, Tokyo Weeb Sessions, Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad. BOTW too of course. It also has the best console version of Human Revolution because of the gamepad. There's a lot to enjoy with the Wii U.

sn0man

i do have a switch and have a few of the ports...Supe Mario U and Captian Toad are the ones i can think of at the moment that i know i have.
SMU is good I hear. I’ve got a stand alone Luigi U physical so I’m waiting for my brother in law to offload his SMU physical copy to me for cheap.

I’ve got CT:TT for the U. Frustratingly it is my understanding that each version has a different set of exclusive levels. Nintendo secretly is the worst DRM team around.

kunonabi

Huge fan of the Wii U and it was my primary console for this gen until it died. Still in the process of 100%ing all the major releases actually.

Favorite games are:

The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade X
Nintendo Land
Devil's Third
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Star Fox Zero
Yoshi's Wooly World
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
ZombiU
Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko
Genei Ibun Roku #FE

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I started to pick up twilight princess last night!!! Never played it...is it that bad?

4 hour tutorial intro and you spend over 1/3 of the game as that stupid wolf. Add to that the pee filter smeared all over the visuals that passes for bloom and Midna who is the worst sidekick (yes, worse than Fi) in a Zelda game and yes you have the making of truly awful game.

Good dungeons, bad everything else. Large open world... nothing in it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
enjoy the wii u

i sold mine just before the switch was announced,
sold it for a lot of cash.

Now i got one dirt cheap and bought all my sold games for close to nothing.

Literally, the worst. Ugly ass design, anime lookin POS. Constant berates you throughout the game . No thanks.

To me, outside of the dungeons, TP was the least Zelda like Zelda game of them all.

Enjoy the pee-pee filter.

Literally the only problem with Midna is that Link doesn't drop his ugly as fuck girlfriend and move to the Twilight realm to bone the real Midna 24/7.

TP also has the best Zelda dungeons IMO, especially from Arbiter's Grounds onward. Even the names are metal as fuck. Arbiter's Grounds could be a Slayer song.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The Wii U is probably my favorite console of all time. Plays Wii U and Wii retail games, plus the best of the NES, SNES, N64, DS, and GBA via the Virtual Console. It's like the "Greatest Hits" Nintendo console. (Admittedly this was even better when the Wii Shop Channel was around and I could include both Wiiware and the original Virtual Console to this lineup, but c'est la vie.)

I still play mine probably once a week for an hour or two and I've got quite a few games with the wrap still on 'em to play.

J4u2s9dl.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
A modded Wii U is great... playing GameCube games on the gamepad, at 480p with no scaling is just great.

also you can convert Wii games, and in the conversion tool you can set it up so it thinks the GamePad is a Classic Controller for games like The Last Story or Xenoblade and play them on the gamepad too.
you can even make the game think the GamePad is a Wii Remote, and that way you can easily play stuff like Excite Truck on the GamePad.

also, PS1 and N64 emulation works really well when using a tool that overclocks the Wii mode to run at Wii U clocks and running established PS1 emulators in Wii Mode.

Banned
I don't care what public reception was or what anyone else thinks - I love my Wii U.

Maybe the last console that will ever feel really unique imo.

I dunno, the Switch is pretty unique aswell... the Joycons alone are packed with features... features so weird that noone knew what the hell they were there for in the first place... like the IR sensor... and then nintendo released Labo and showed what that tiny IR sensor could do.
and then there is the while Console + Handheld bit of course

Last edited:

TexMex

Just got one myself. Got Wind Waker / Twilight HD, and Mario 3D World. Really got it because I wanted to play Mario 64 and some other VC stuff on a HD display, but it feels like total garbage.

I dunno, the Switch is pretty unique aswell... the Joycons alone are packed with features... features so weird that noone knew what the hell they were there for in the first place... like the IR sensor... and then nintendo released Labo and showed what that tiny IR sensor could do.
and then there is the while Console + Handheld bit of course

I understand that view, although for whatever reason, I just don't get that feel with the Switch. For me, it's just a glorified tablet with some admittedly excellent games. (I hate the joycons.)

But Nintendo is, for sure, the least homogeneous gaming box. I hope Nintendo continues experimenting with unique ideas for hardware and can remain, at the very least, a bit outside the norms. Either that or just start bringing everything to PC and bid farewell to dedicated boxes altogether.

_Ex_

I wanna play Xenoblade Chronicles X so bad. It looks great. Would also replay Wind Waker HD. I think it's the best entry in the series. Very creative and fun.
XCX will probably get ported to Switch eventually. Nintendo has steadily been gutting the Wii U's library of exclusives and porting them to Switch.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
The Wii U is the perfect Nintendo console to be able to enjoy every Nintendo game made up to that point. You got your emulators, backwards compatible with the original Wii, and the ability to play GameCube games. I do t regret purchasing one at all.

Well..yea but how the f do you hack it? I bought one myself last year, basically just to have one and not feel guilty about playing BOTW on CEMU while not having the game (I do now!)

Rodolink

I don't give a fuck about what media and overall consumer said about the WiiU.
I hold it close to my heart for all the moments I spent together with my brothers and girlfriend (now wife) all those great multiplayer titles like smash and mk8.
Also great games like Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, DKCTF, Xenoblade C X, Mario 3d World etc.
Nintendo upped the quality of their games by 10000% I mean just look at the moustache of mario moving with the wind while driving or Luigi's death stare or BoTW. Those things started on the wiiu not on switch.
Switch is just a hardware improvement for me (that clunky gamepad is shit I admit) that's why I don't even have the need for it now. But being compatible with all the wii accessories was a blessing. (8 people brawl in smash is crazy)

stranno

also you can convert Wii games, and in the conversion tool you can set it up so it thinks the GamePad is a Classic Controller for games like The Last Story or Xenoblade and play them on the gamepad too.
you can even make the game think the GamePad is a Wii Remote, and that way you can easily play stuff like Excite Truck on the GamePad.
+there are patches for playing Phantom Hourglass and Spirits Track using only the gamepad.

Banned
+there are patches for playing Phantom Hourglass and Spirits Track using only the gamepad.

oh shit I didn't know that... I tried playing them on the touchscreen and remembered why I never played them for long back when a friend lended them to me on the DS
but DS amulation in general is also pretty good on the Wii U, since you have the touchscreen and can chose between multiple modes (Top Screen on TV + Bottom Screen on the Gamepad / Both screens on both and multiple variants of this)
great for games like MegaMan ZX for example.

Cravis

was it scary to modify it to access the emulators / GameCube compatibility? How does video output of GameCube games hold up to one of those hdmi adapters?

edit: sorry, how is WiiU GameCube video quality?Wouldn’t GameCube with an hdmi adapter be better?
It wasn’t hard at all. There’s always the risk of bricking a system when you do something like this but I used the guide at https://wiiu.hacks.guide/ and it was pretty cut and dry.

Personally I think the GameCube image quality is fine. From what I’ve read the GameCube with the HDMI mod looks the best though.

One cool thing with the GameCube emulator is you can play the Triforce arcade games on there. I finally got to play F-Zero AX lol.

Well..yea but how the f do you hack it? I bought one myself last year, basically just to have one and not feel guilty about playing BOTW on CEMU while not having the game (I do now!)
I followed the guide on https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

You will need an SD card with at least 32 GB. It’s been so long since I’ve done it, plus I was 3 sheets to the wind, so I don’t remember exactly how long it took. Wasn’t long though.

PS never try hacking a system while inebriated. That could have gone south so bad and left me with an expensive paperweight 😆

My favorite overall Nintendo system, especially modded. I love games on it such as The Wonderful 101, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, and more. I really believe the Gamepad has much potential for creative gameplay opportunities. I'm truly grateful for those games that did bother use it. That's the last time a next gen system felt next gen to me.

-Troid-

Banned
I have mixed feelings on the WiiU. I loved the Gamecube as a Teenager and the first game system I bought for myself with my own cash was the Wii, both of which I would still staunchly defend to this day. The WiiU though? I bought the premium version day 1, played AssCreed3 on it a bunch, and then had nothing to play on it till Wind Waker HD came out. Really the only games I thought were overall worth getting it for were Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, and Zelda Breath of the Wild, 2 of which are available on the Switch now.

On the other hand after modding it to play Gamecube games, Wii backwards Compatibility, a nice choice of Virtual Console titles, and a bunch of indie games, the system is much better as an overall Classic Nintendo game machine. If it didn't have access to all these classic games, it would be a borderline pointless console.

Here's my WiiU library. I'd recommend most of them

Bh3JmuA.jpg

Jeeves

Dammit, I just remembered that I still haven't played more than two hours of Pikmin 3.

Still a lot to enjoy on the Wii U, even if you're not counting all the games that got ported.

NAI1210

I really loved the wii u, it pissed me off they started from scratch with the virtual console rather than build on what they had from the wii, but there is some great games zombi u, is pretty cool and although it got ported to ps4 etc, I like the gimmick of looking through your items in your backpack on the controller screen, whilst zombies might be coming towards you so you need to keep an eye on the TV screen at some time 😊

Top Bottom