• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

I miss pre-E3 WUST, and all the regular posters that are now MIA. :'(

I kinda just got to the point in my personal hype cycle where I just try to finish my backlog and just enjoy whatever game I'm invested in while I ride out the lull in the generation myself really. There's also the fact that outside of this thread, it gets really annoying discussing Nintendo because there's no middle ground. You can't be critical because you get labeled as a detractor, you can't appreciate business acumen and how it correlates to accepting how Nintendo's gonna Nintendo because you'd be a shill, you can't talk game quality from the past gen because "NINTENDO FUCKING SUCKED THIS GEN, STOP TALKING", you can't talk about potential of the new system because one or two "Mr/Ms. I Think I'm Rational, but I Just Sound Really Jaded" have to come and shut shit down with comparisons to Wii/early DS...

It's just not interesting and borderline dampening for me. There's always exceptions and good dialog here and there, but I just can't invest into it as much sadly.

ohlawd

^ Yeah. If I continue to post in the Wii U will be $300 thread, I'm going to take a beating from the banhammer...

No kidding. $300 is like.... perfect for what the Wii U does
or will do
I do applaud the people who can still post reasonably there.

DjRoomba

Banned
Not for me. Nintendo sucked whatever hype I had left at their E3 conference. I'm not spending any emotional energy on those fuckers until they show me they are serious. It's their turn.

I was dissapointed with their E3, but only because I feel it lacked a certain amount of spectacle. It was pretty by-the-numbers and information on games heavy rather than the more presentation-focused events of years past ie. lame anti-climactic fireworks ending.

I think some here, however, aren't dissapointed in this way but dissapointed with the games they showed. And I cant say im dissapointed in that way. For a launch lineup it was pretty damn decent, no? What are you expecting 20 must haves? I think 3 or 4 exclusive must haves is plenty. More games are coming

Van Owen

Banned
I would probably pay $350 if there was a killer game at launch. $300 might get a buy from me even of the immediate lineup isn't that exciting to me, so I can't complain.

Meelow

Banned
Oh trust me, they'll find a way to justify it even at that price. :p

Probably, Nintendo just has to blow people a way at the Fall Conference, they should also show off a game that looks better than anything the PS3 and 360 can dream off to lay off these "Wii U is current gen" comment.

I miss pre-E3 WUST, and all the regular posters that are now MIA. :'(

They'll be back, when the hype is right.

I would probably pay $350 if there was a killer game at launch. $300 might get a buy from me even of the immediate lineup isn't that exciting to me, so I can't complain.

Heh, I still see $350 and up as abhorrent prices to pay for a home consoles. What the hell happened to this industry that standard prices doubled in less than a decade?

Yeah, I'm avoiding it.... I think 300 is a great price, even better if it has a pack-in... but i'm not going to post there.... I'm new and am just happy to be here

Banned
I highly doubt that neither PS4 or 720 will be tons more powerful than Wii U at all anyways, especially considering Sony's current financial status & Microsoft focusing more on making the 720 an all-in-one mediabox & kinectbox.

I completely agree with this. Most of the 3rd party publishing & developing studios would still be around today if were to focus most of their efforts on the Wii (& not being biased towards it), & focus less on PS3/360.
Sony being in financial trouble didn't stop them from making the vita a beast and selling it at a loss. Sony believes in recuperating hardware losses with accessories and software.

Not for me. Nintendo sucked whatever hype I had left at their E3 conference. I'm not spending any emotional energy on those fuckers until they show me they are serious. It's their turn.

Agreed. Though Iwata doesn't have to do much to bring my hype, but really this E3... man, it was like Reggie pissing right into my face. If I was the one interviewing him during ,,lol Nintendofans are just insatiable'' I would have probably felt like choking him on the spot :D
But seriously, the last year for the Wii basically consisted of late localisations or niche projects, which I all very much enjoyed, but didn't take up any internal resources, while there was complete silence on WiiU. And yet the whole ,,re-reveal'' of the new goddamn console was a complete rehash, that actually felt even lesser than last years 20 minute teaser. Not a single thing signaling that the next Nintendo generation has arrived, while hiding behind some ,,focusing on launch window'' facade, despite announcing a not-even-in-development Smash Bros. just a year ago and going full out for the 3DS reveal.
I have no confidence for the console right now, not getting my hopes up for anything anymore. I'm expecting the worst for the september thing after the worst case scenario has happened at E3 (meaning literally [almost] nothing new shown on both 1st and 3rd party front), so probably minimal Japanese support and many of the 2013 titles turning out to be known games once again. ,,It's their turn'' alright.

Azure J

Heh, I still see $350 and up as abhorrent prices to pay for a home consoles. What the hell happened to this industry that standard prices doubled in less than a decade?

Seriously. I get so amazed at people when in discussions about comfort zones when paying for consoles, I nudge towards $299 as being the best price for a console at the upper bound and their responses boil down to "that price implies the system isn't much better than what we have now." Really? How about being a good price for the fact that everything's in a recession now? :lol

Pineconn

Nice to see that we each use a wide variety of usernames, haha. Although, I think most people have just one or a few unique nicks.

On another note, we in the U.S. are finally watching the Olympics opening ceremony. All I could think of during the singing of God Save the Queen was ZombiU, haha.

I need help. Or sleep.

Doubled? The PS2 and Xbox both cost $300 at launch, but of course that generation was more than a decade ago... Of course, if you go back to the old NES, that cost $200...back when $200 was worth over $400. The Atari 2600 was also $200 at launch, but these days that equates to over $750!

You are right, but if people are willing to pay $700-800 for an iPad.......

Nintendo launched the Gamecube at $199.99 with 1 controller, no game and no memory card and it also didn't have Internet or DVD capability. I think the system had a great launch actually but it would have benefited from being released at $149.99 to sustain sales during early 2002.

DjRoomba

Banned
What's with the hate for Nintendo Land, even here? It's a game that includes all your favorite franchises in one you jabrones. Think of it as a fleshed out demo for all the goodness to come. It looks like it has a really cool visual style too. I can't disagree though that it probably would do better as downloadable or pack-in

it was a first-person platformer. i think only like 2 or 3 of those have ever been done. and man it controlled so well (on the 360 at least).

it's a game of deception- it points you on this path and you kinda just go ahead and do it. and then you play the time trials and do a speed run of your path and whatever. then you learn there are ways around the level. there are secret areas to reward you with a shortcut for your skill and ingenuity. it's classic platforming presented in a new way and i thought it was fucking brilliant. it looked and sounded pretty great too.

It was a great concept but let down in execution. Any game that's supposed to convey speed must be locked at a steady 60fps. With Mirror's Edge you hardly got half that. I'd be very interested in a sequel but only if it was a 60fps game with no drops in framerate. There's a reason why all good driving games have a 60fps framerate.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
it was a first-person platformer. i think only like 2 or 3 of those have ever been done. and man it controlled so well (on the 360 at least).

it's a game of deception- it points you on this path and you kinda just go ahead and do it. and then you play the time trials and do a speed run of your path and whatever. then you learn there are ways around the level. there are secret areas to reward you with a shortcut for your skill and ingenuity. it's classic platforming presented in a new way and i thought it was fucking brilliant. it looked and sounded pretty great too.

The Ps3 demo gave me motion sickness.... Liked it on PC though. 60 fps made the difference.

Roo

Well they are supposed to have all their games available for download online...
probably at retail price :-/

I don't know. I love reading physical booklets
I have to bitch about something :D

Probably not news, but looks like Toki Tori 2 will be another 1080p WiiU title to add to the list.

the second one so far afaik...
the first one is Scribblenauts Unlimited

Pineconn

What's with the hate for Nintendo Land, even here? It's a game that includes all your favorite franchises in one you jabrones. Think of it as a fleshed out demo for all the goodness to come. It looks like it has a really cool visual style too. I can't disagree though that it probably would do better as downloadable or pack-in

I think its E3 stage presence did the job. The demo explanation went on way too long, eating up the possibility for an awesome, new announcement. Plus, the "Let's look at one more thing............ from Nintendo Land!!!! lolfireworks
troll.png
" ultimately obliterated everyone's hopes.

So, it isn't the game, but that it epitomized the fact that we weren't going to see anything else at E3.

Banned
It was the poor game that took away the timeslot for retro's or some other first party game. It unfairly took the blame for nintendo not showing its lineu beyond March 2013. I'm sure it will be as fun as wii sports resort was with all the different uses of the GamePad and asymmetric gameplay.

AzaK

I don't know you but I read some of your posts and what I understand all you want is Zelda or Metroid and you don't like Japanese games. How do you have emotional energy to Nintendo before E3?

E3 2012 in overall sucked for the "core" gamers (and I hate this word). E3 is now for the mainstream press. You don't think that Microsoft or Sony conferences were good. They weren't.

For me it was the expectation that E3 would being the money. God western third party games (After all the rhetoric by Iwats et al that the core mattered and that they needed those western games). I was expecting all the info on the online, interface and lots of great games. Instead we got fucking Batman that will be a year old, rough looking 1st party titles for the most part and no real information on anything. It was a piss poor showing and given the lead up hype in the WUSTs, it plunged me into the depths of gaming hell.

Meelow

Banned
For me it was the expectation that E3 would being the money. God western third party games (After all the rhetoric by Iwats et al that the core mattered and that they needed those western games). I was expecting all the info on the online, interface and lots of great games. Instead we got fucking Batman that will be a year old, rough looking 1st party titles for the most part and no real information on anything. It was a piss poor showing and given the lead up hype in the WUSTs, it plunged me into the depths of gaming hell.

I think Nintendo should of said they where focusing on before E3, it would of made it much better.

Kacho

If it comes as a pack in, I imagine people would change their tune.

Their conference left a lot to be desired, that's for sure. After the initial disappointment wore off, I was able to appreciate the titles that were announced. I think Nintendo Direct is where Nintendo is going to make the big announcements going forward. Rather than making all of their announcements at E3, they'll spread them out to keep the excitement level up every couple months or so. Hopefully the September and Wii U launch Nintendo Direct events give us some goodies that drag you out of your slump.

Sony being in financial trouble didn't stop them from making the vita a beast and selling it at a loss. Sony believes in recuperating hardware losses with accessories and software.

My point is, is if Sony pulls another huge loss leading model with PS4 (or Orbis, whatever they're going to call it) like they did with PS3 (&/or PS Vita), then they're going to wind up being the next Sega.

Who cares if it includes all our favorite franchises, it's a minigame collection that's based around multiplayer play, but doesn't include online. So it's useless to me.

Who cares if it includes all our favorite franchises, it's a minigame collection that's based around multiplayer play, but doesn't include online. So it's useless to me.

Nintendo Land is kinda "New Pac-Man Vs" with a bunch of lesser side games added in.

I just thought this was interesting to think about, given your avatar. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom