• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony silence is a good sign.

I have a conundrum. I like knowing everything cuz like you losers, I’m a techie. So I dig Microsoft’s approach this gen.

Buuuutttt, I also enjoy legit surprises like the Bethesda deal. Less “rumors” and “leaks” the better.

it would be kind of a letdown if Sony doesn’t have any more surprises, but I’ll guess we’ll see. My guess is they’ll drum up a media fervor pretty close to launch, then hope supply stays with demand.

interesting marketing by both companies honestly.

base

Banned
IMO they knew this gen will be much much harder to win. MS managed to get get a better hardware but that doesn't mean anything. They got deep pockets but lack environment. Sony during the years created a symbol. Playstation means console gaming, it means Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and so much more. They know what they are doing. Cerny knows this business perfectly. He doesn't want to show everything now, they want Microsoft to make some moves and react at a proper time.

Come on people, I know the current CEO is more in a financial department but people on such positions aren't stupid. Have some faith or regret saying bad words and apologizing soon. This gen gonna be huge for the first time - speed of ssd, good cpu/gpu balance, hdmi 2.1 support do no more tearing, fidelity and smoothness. No more loading screens.

Never happened before. Not in the consoles market.

TeKtheSanE

IMO they knew this gen will be much much harder to win. MS managed to get get a better hardware but that doesn't mean anything. They got deep pockets but lack environment. Sony during the years created a symbol. Playstation means console gaming, it means Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and so much more. They know what they are doing. Cerny knows this business perfectly. He doesn't want to show everything now, they want Microsoft to make some moves and react at a proper time.

Come on people, I know the current CEO is more in a financial department but people on such positions aren't stupid. Have some faith or regret saying bad words and apologizing soon. This gen gonna be huge for the first time - speed of ssd, good cpu/gpu balance, hdmi 2.1 support do no more tearing, fidelity and smoothness. No more loading screens.

Never happened before. Not in the consoles market.
Uhm... All of these games that you say represent Playstation are crossplatform... I haven't associated Biohazard/RE as playstation since psx days, metal gear was ps2 days, final fantasy was also psx/ps2 days.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
I have a conundrum. I like knowing everything cuz like you losers, I’m a techie. So I dig Microsoft’s approach this gen.

Buuuutttt, I also enjoy legit surprises like the Bethesda deal. Less “rumors” and “leaks” the better.

it would be kind of a letdown if Sony doesn’t have any more surprises, but I’ll guess we’ll see. My guess is they’ll drum up a media fervor pretty close to launch, then hope supply stays with demand.

interesting marketing by both companies honestly.
I agree. I see the Sony strategy in "going their on pace" more smart in the long run.

Show what's ready, when it's ready.

It's what we want to see. CGI trailers are hype but it makes it feel like the game will take ages to launch. I think I like this "have it a couple of months" strategy better.

base

Banned
Uhm... All of these games that you say represent Playstation are crossplatform... I haven't associated Biohazard/RE as playstation since psx days, metal gear was ps2 days, final fantasy was also psx/ps2 days.
They are multiplatform now but back then they were recognizated as Playstation. Times have changed and devs need to earn more money but...

Njocky

Banned
It would be good to know what kind of BC performance we can expect from the PS5. They are supposed to have that future proof IO pipeline. Let us see how quickly it loads current gen games please. It's time to show the goods, you've taken my pre-order. The press should be allowed to inform the public on what they're getting, especially in these financially dire times. Not everyone will want to maintain their preorder if the previews tell us that the noise factor isn't better and BC doesn't work.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Ps3 UI was kinda rough at launch and it never was great, but it was improved considerably over the years. Ps4 UI was kinda rough at launch and it still isn't great though it has improved considerably over the years. Ps5 UI will be kinda rough at launch and it won't be great even though it will improve considerably over the years.

I'm guessing Sony will have some final message before Nov 12th, but it won't likely be anything too crazy at this point.

TeKtheSanE

They are multiplatform now but back then they were recognizated as Playstation. Times have changed and devs need to earn more money but...
I was just saying you had other games that are actual exclusives you could have listed that represent today, not what was in the past. :messenger_ok:

You also don't give up features that your competitors can copy. I'm very excited for the create feature. Well excited for what it could end up being.
We’re like a month and half from launch, nothing could be copied to make it in before launch and they could just as easily copy it and implement later anyway.

In my mind there are two possible explanations for Sony silence -
  1. They know saying less is more, they're coming from huge success current gen and can basically rely on brand loyalty to get through the initial launch phase with solid numbers.
  2. They are in a bad place for the start of next gen and are forced to say nothing e.g. console manufacturing troubles, BC troubles, late planning etc. So they rely on #1.
It's one of those self-fulfilling prophecies, pick your poison above.

I'm actually far more curious for the third party comparisons over the next 3-12 months between the consoles. Once they're in the public there is no hiding behind marketing BS for either company.

NeededSleep

:pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking:

CXaGxTv.jpg

I agree. I see the Sony strategy in "going their on pace" more smart in the long run.

Show what's ready, when it's ready.

It's what we want to see. CGI trailers are hype but it makes it feel like the game will take ages to launch. I think I like this "have it a couple of months" strategy better.

i think I’m with you. Show me what to expect in a few months. I’ve seen a few posters on here saying Avowed is a guaranteed amazing game and it maybe it is, but we just don’t know anything about it. In my mind it’s just a footnote til I see more and judge it appropriately.

DavJay

They want us to spend $400-$500 plus yet they are hiding some secrets... possibly dirty secrets. It frustrating being an early adopter.

base

Banned
They want us to spend $400-$500 plus yet they are hiding some secrets... possibly dirty secrets. It frustrating being an early adopter.
Nvidia want us to spend much more and no one complaining. Sony don't force people to buy their products. You have your own free will.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its a marathon. Not a sprint.

The way people are acting is like pre-launch hype is everything. Despite both consoles looking to be supply constrained more than demand.

DavJay

Nvidia want us to spend much more and no one complaining. Sony don't force people to buy their products. You have your own free will.

You right and that’s why I’ll get the series X first. Thanks for the easy decision Sony. I’m too much of a chicken to gamble $500 on something I don’t know really anything about. Silence is usually bad news a month prior to launch.

CuNi

Its a marathon. Not a sprint.

The way people are acting is like pre-launch hype is everything. Despite both consoles looking to be supply constrained more than demand.

It's not everything but it is a big thing when you try to acquire new customers.
We know the pre-orders are sold out by hardcore fanboys of both consoles, so the normal consumer has to wait for resupply anyway which means that their backorder can be influenced by those hardcore fanboys.
Imagine John Doe, having 1 Xbox and 1 Sony friend. They both are hardcore fans and preordered day 1. John isn't a hardcore gamer and just wants the best bang for his buck so he asks his friends which console to backorder since wait times are supposed to be long and he'd like to get a order in early to be one of the first after release in resupply runs.

In this case, silence is deadly, as the Xbox fan has a lot to show John to convince him to go for Xbox.
Sure Sony fan also has good arguments, but not as many as Xbox guy which could convince John to get a Xbox instead of a playstation.

Obviously many gaming enthusiasts who aren't hardcore fans are already decided so this only really applies to potential new customers, gift-shoppers since the consoles release before christmas or just people who get consoles that their friends suggest them to get and don't really care themselves.
For those target audiences, silence really is a big argument to go for the competitor.

Dargor

I don't think it is possible to know right now.

Only after these consoles are out that we can start to analyze what was a good move or a bad move from Sony and MS.

This whole next gen on both sides is a joke. All I hear is talks about how old games will run on new systems. Richard from DF said "we dont have next gen to test out on the XSX"...i mean LOL. Next gen is coming out in 90 days and theres nothing to show except BC and talks about how RT will be implemented in previous gen games.

freefornow

Gold Member
We have people here pointing left and right their frustration on the lack of information on Sony's side.
So let's do an analysis on the possible reasons for this.

First of we can rule out fear, right?
They have a fairly decent launch line up so far and, to the disbelief of many, God of War Ragnarok is launching next year.

Second and most importantly, why such tight NDAs if they already mentioned the price and shown the console?
No tear down yet, but still no one is that tight on UI alone, right? Why should they?

New games? It could be, but the rumors point that they are still particularly protective of the hardware.

So let's dive into speculation for a bit:

They likely have a feature exclusive to the console that was not mentioned yet, something big enough to be worth keeping in the dark and not possible/present on previous generations.

"Play has no limits" is a decent campaign but what can actually cement this concept?
SSD comes to mind, but we already know about that. PS1/2/3 BC was shot down by Jim Ryan himself.
That said, Xbox one didn't have BC for a while as well. Not everything is dead forever.

Old PS games will look awful. How about this:

DlmLN5q.png

Not all patents turn out to be true, but who knows? Why not apply this to PS4 games?
PS5 could stream textures on the fly really fast. Another detail on the PS Plus Collection video:

0BAOQei.png

Why didn't they show the games running on PS5 from the getgo? It's a small selection that will be compatible at launch after all.

In the road to PS5, most of us were too focused on TFs to understand how much of a game changer the I/O on PS5 really is.
Aren't we doing the same now, complaining that Xbox is showing more and forgetting to see the big picture?

Besides, Sony spoke concisely so far and not out of response to Xbox every move.

In a world full of leaks left and right, aren't you ready to be surprised for a change? Like Sony E3 2015 surprised?

TL;DR/I communicate only through memes:
4kzEBQG.png

NextUnconsciousArctichare-small.gif

Tschumi

I work in marketing and no....it is not a good sign not telling your atributes.
Maybe your firm will be pleasantly surprised if you educate yourself about the power of generating word of mouth and come in one day with a great idea to advertise that deodorant brand by leaking that it might contain atomised TFLOPs!

Tschumi

Sony's marketing is so great at drafting all of its fans in to spread news that it's actually caused Xbox huge benefits by indirectly encouraging all of their fanboys to match PS5 chatter.. it's all good though because PS5 fans have AAA to talk about, xbox have Craig and innuendo~

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogman

You right and that’s why I’ll get the series X first. Thanks for the easy decision Sony. I’m too much of a chicken to gamble $500 on something I don’t know really anything about. Silence is usually bad news a month prior to launch.
Yes because spending $500 at launch for a next gen console with no next gen exclusives is a much better choice.

Faithless83

Banned
It's not everything but it is a big thing when you try to acquire new customers.
We know the pre-orders are sold out by hardcore fanboys of both consoles, so the normal consumer has to wait for resupply anyway which means that their backorder can be influenced by those hardcore fanboys.
Imagine John Doe, having 1 Xbox and 1 Sony friend. They both are hardcore fans and preordered day 1. John isn't a hardcore gamer and just wants the best bang for his buck so he asks his friends which console to backorder since wait times are supposed to be long and he'd like to get a order in early to be one of the first after release in resupply runs.

In this case, silence is deadly, as the Xbox fan has a lot to show John to convince him to go for Xbox.
Sure Sony fan also has good arguments, but not as many as Xbox guy which could convince John to get a Xbox instead of a playstation.

Obviously many gaming enthusiasts who aren't hardcore fans are already decided so this only really applies to potential new customers, gift-shoppers since the consoles release before christmas or just people who get consoles that their friends suggest them to get and don't really care themselves.
For those target audiences, silence really is a big argument to go for the competitor.
People on the fence tend to align with last gen winner. Games are being showed running on hardware on PS5, it's there tangible. What's on launch is shown already. My casual friends are not buying one at launch because it's expansive AF here, but they are all set on PS5.

Faithless83

Banned
Sony's marketing is so great at drafting all of its fans in to spread news that it's actually caused Xbox huge benefits by indirectly encouraging all of their fanboys to match PS5 chatter.. it's all good though because PS5 fans have AAA to talk about, xbox have Craig and innuendo~
Yes because spending $500 at launch for a next gen console with no next gen exclusives is a much better choice.
Please keep it civil. Ignore the bait.
People don't spend 500 bucks on something out of spite. I doubt anyone would spent 50. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom