• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do we have to lower our expectations ?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Of course expectations should be low it’s one of the things that makes gaming as a hobby fun.

Guilty_AI

I mean, what CAN you do aside from not buying nor playing them? You have every right to complain if you bought something faulty, but its not like you don't have the means to avoid such headaches in the future.

Im sorry for this post but im very mad , i need a hug
touhou-fumo.gif

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The apologists are the fucking worst.

Like a fucking plague of people who just accept anything some shitty dev throws at them.

COMPLAIN more. They will hear it.

if you order a tv and when the tv has a faulty screen and the salesman would say "Just deal with , move on , stop crying , you wanted a working tv ? next time lower ur expectations "
Not sure if that comparison works. It's not the hardware that's broken. PCs and consoles, while expensive, generally work just fine. It's the games that suck, and the guy who sold you your computer can't do anything about that.

Skifi28

We don't have to, but it's still highly recommended for health related reasons. Have high expectations at your own risk, you have been warned.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
There’s a big problem with over promising and under delivering but it’s not all the developers fault.

Games need funding, to get funding you need a salesman with a sales pitch. Even with first party games to get a budget.
That’s when problem starts. They sale a crazy dream game with a crazy deadline.
Then you get work scope creep and all that fun stuff. Higher ups wanting to add new marketing bullet points as it goes.
And the budget gets so big that no one wants to say no to anything.

But that’s why you have great experienced producers. Nintendo and Sony have great producers. Everyone else seems to lack in that area.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm not lowering expectations. Below are some of the best games of recent years that dedicated development resources to art direction, story, interesting characters, music, gameplay etc... over photo realistic graphical features that are so costly to development that the rest of the game is a steaming pile of messy poo. Many of the high budget blockbusters feel hollow and forgetful.

LxEEByy.png
Sw4twM9.png
2v5wIyI.png
ornDW9w.png

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I'm not lowering expectations. Below are some of the best games of recent years that dedicated development resources to art direction, story, interesting characters, music, gameplay etc... over photo realistic graphical features that are so costly to development that the rest of the game is a steaming pile of messy poo. Many of the high budget blockbusters feel hollow and forgetful.

LxEEByy.png
Sw4twM9.png
2v5wIyI.png
ornDW9w.png
Elden Ring ran (and still runs) pretty badly on even beefy PCs with a lot of hitches and stuttering.

Didn't they release RT with no DLSS or even FSR 2.0 options? It's actually a very apt product to include in this thread. A great game marred by terrible performance. Mind you, that got better with patches, but it's still not that great.

MLSabre

These days I rarely, if ever, buy games Day 1 anymore. Most games nowadays almost certainly will come with a long list of bugs that makes playing them more of a chore than entertaining, which is the point of why we buy them, is it not? Couple with the exorbitant price tag (Canada sucks with that) does a lot to make me be very specific with my purchases.

Think it's about time you raise your standard OP and take the highroad when the product does not meet your standards. It's not worth your time, money, and frustration.

Ozzie666

There was a time when PC games were and after thought in terms of console games being ported over. They are more of a thought now but executed badly. It's better than it used to be. Hopefully it improves. They still aren't taking PC development as seriously as they should. Maybe the profits aren't there yet.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Don't pre-order. Ever.
Wait for fan reviews.
Avoid things that aren't to your quality standards.
Be patient.

Following the above, I've avoided virtually every major catastrophe of the last few years and saved more than a few a dollars. Back in the 80s, the entire video game market crashed because it became saturated with low quality products that eroded customer confidence. The "Nintendo Seal of Quality" is what resuscitated the entire market. We're seeing a flood of low quality games that are clearly not ready for launch but were launched anyway. If you want change, stop buying them.

pramod

Banned
Easy. I dont buy nor am i interested in over-hyped, big budget AAA games.

So i havent really been disappointed in the games ive purchased.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Don't lower your expectation. Spend your money on things you believe deserve it.

phant0m

answer is simple: you don't.
you just have to wait and buy them later, cheaper, and fixed.

i also recommend playing at least the first hour of a game (if not longer) before you come here, reddit, or elsewhere for discussion. no reviews, no OTs, no impressions. it's pretty astounding how much others' opinions can cloud your own before you've even put the disc in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom