• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people think MS will allow Elder Scroll and Starfield on PS5?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
soooooo...... if SONY bought Zenimax, would you expect Bethesda games on xbox?
come on Bryan, get in touch with reality for a moment here... I know you can do it

He was agreeing with me, .................................... and therefore also you in that post :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I think it was more they were demonstrating how ridiculous your position is. Why is it that only Xbox should be expected to share their big systems selling exclusive games with Sony when Sony doesn't reciprocate.
They don't have to do anything I am saying. I still believe MS will bring those two games to PS5 because of Phil's statements in the past and the position MS has been taking in regards to being software/services focused instead of hardware focused. Will they probably give Sony a taste of their own medicine and make them timed exclusive or add exclusive content? Probably. I am tired of the all of the fanboy crap though where certain people are wishing for MS to keep them exclusive out of spite. It is ridiculous. If Sony brought Spiderman to Xbox you would not see me complain. No reason too. Sony would be doing what they need to do.

Again, should MS bring all of their first party titles to PS5? No. Do I think they should bring these two titles to PS5? Yes. They were already headed there before the acquisition. I would feel the same way if the roles were reversed.

Last edited:
Did I say MS needs to bring every Xbox game to PS5? This thread is specifically about Elder Scrolls and Starfield. Two big future titles that were already headed to PS5 before the acquisition. Does it make more sense when you have perspective or were you just being facetious?
But they were never announced to be headed to the PS5 so you're asking MS to "spread the love" to a competitor while not asking the same of the competitor? How does that hold water?

"Hey, for the good of consoles you should really give us some of your games but... uh... we won't get you any of our games."

What kind of "perspective is that? Bad business perspective.

Hezekiah

Banned
I tell ya it sucks balls i'll not be playing elder Scrolls 6 on my PS5 and i aint got time to play on 2 consoles, PC it'll be for me then
Given how buggy Bethesda games are it's the best way - let the modding community deal with whatever mess they release.

Honestly Wolfenstein is a bigger miss (assuming it's not like the feminist one they did), but FPS are obviously better on PC aswell.

They don't have to do anything I am saying. I still believe MS will bring those two games to PS5 because of Phil's statements in the past and the position MS has been taking in regards to being software/services focused instead of hardware focused. Will they probably give Sony a taste of their own medicine and make them timed exclusive or add exclusive content? Probably. I am tired of the all of the fanboy crap though where certain people are wishing for MS to keep them exclusive out of spite. It is ridiculous. If Sony brought Spiderman to Xbox you would not see me complain. No reason too. Sony would be doing what they need to do.

Again, should MS bring all of their first party titles to PS5? No. Do I think they should bring these two titles to PS5? Yes. They were already headed there before the acquisition. I would feel the same way if the roles were reversed.
It's not out of spite. It's how the current industry works. Unless Sony is holding Spiderman away from +200m gamers out of spite.

In terms of your Sony/Spiderman "Sony would be doing what they need to do" you need to accept that MS not giving ES6 and/or Starfield to PS5 would be MS doing what they need to do. What's the confusion?

CatLady

But they were never announced to be headed to the PS5 so you're asking MS to "spread the love" to a competitor while not asking the same of the competitor? How does that hold water?

"Hey, for the good of consoles you should really give us some of your games but... uh... we won't get you any of our games."

He's still in the denial stage, I've seen at least some of less delusional posters have moved to the bargaining stage. maybe by the time these Xbox exclusives release most of them will have moved through all the stages and on to acceptance.

Or they will have passed on from sodium overdoses.

johntown

Banned
I think MS will allow Elder Scrolls 6 to come to PS. However, I think it will be either be a timed exclusive or there will be exclusive DLC. I don't think it makes sense financially to restrict to one console.

Starfield though being a new IP and possibly releasing sooner rather than later I could see that being exclusive and used to sell systems.

Either way I have a PC so it does not bother me.

People don't seem to realize that MS still makes a lot of money through their own platform. They get a 30% cut from everything sold on Xbox. Why the fuck would they give Sony any exclusives on top of the ones they already moneyhat like crazy? It makes no sense. It would instantly make the playstation platform far more attractive than the xbox platform.

You have to be blind on both eyes not to see it. Minecraft was already on the platform. Pulling it would have resulted in massive backlash. On top of that, if they release those games on PS, there would be zero reason not to release them on Stadia, Switch 2 and Amazons Luna either and I can't see that happening, ever.

reinking

Gold Member

Are you kidding me? You really think they were not coming to PS5 before the acquisition?

I have both consoles. I have both next gen consoles preordered. It is no skin off of my back. I don't want to see you guys bitching when Amazon starts buying up publishers and keeping titles for their service.

Infamy v1

Hey MS Fanboys. You should get off of Sony's nut and worry about Amazon. Instead of wishing/hoping MS keeps these games in house you might want to hope they spread the wealth a little to help to keep the consoles market dominate. It is no skin off of my back because I will have both but Sony is not going to be the biggest threat facing MS in the future. Somebody with deeper pockets and a 150+ million user fanbase has entered the arena.

Sounds like more Sony fanboy drivel and wishful thinking. Oh poor Sony please think of Sony....lmao

You're right, Sony isnt competition for MS and they have been thinking about Google/Amazon forever now. Remember when you all mocked "tEh cLOuD?" Who's laughing now? MS has the money to compete against those "deeper pockets" so you should take your "concern" elsewhere

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
He's still in the denial stage, I've seen at least some of less delusional posters have moved to the bargaining stage. maybe by the time these Xbox exclusives release most of them will have moved through all the stages and on to acceptance.

Or they will have passed on from sodium overdoses.
Denial about what? I have both consoles. I get to play wherever I want.

CatLady

Denial about what? I have both consoles. I get to play wherever I want.

Denial that Xbox isn't going to piss away a $7B investment to prop up a competitor. The only new exclusive Xbox games that will likely be on the Sony platform are the 2 Sony already moneyhatted plus in the "case by case basis" FO76 and ESO since like Minecraft they are already there and it would be a dick move to pull them off and also they are GaaS, not system sellers.

Big exclusive system sellers, in my opinion, have far less than a snowballs chance in hell of ever appearing on a Sony platform.

Are you kidding me? You really think they were not coming to PS5 before the acquisition?

I have both consoles. I have both next gen consoles preordered. It is no skin off of my back. I don't want to see you guys bitching when Amazon starts buying up publishers and keeping titles for their service.

So what if they were coming before? Now they aren't. This way they can focus on Xbox and PC instead of 3 platforms. Should make development smoother. There is a complete working Gears 3 build on PS3 that was never released. You know why? Because MS bought the IP.

take a look

You think they give an actual fuck about wasted ressources? just lol.

Last edited:

I have both consoles and have both next gen consoles preordered to.

I'm saying there is no contract or announcement or anything concrete that ever said they are coming. They most definitely WERE coming but it was never said.

reinking

Gold Member
So what if they were coming before? Now they aren't. This way they can focus on Xbox and PC instead of 3 platforms. Should make development smoother. There is a complete working Gears 3 build on PS3 that was never released. You know why? Because MS bought the IP.

take a look

I can see I touched a nerve with some TeamGreen fanboys. You guys enjoy. I will revisit you when Amazon starts buying studios.

CatLady

take a look

Great point. Before Sony moneyhatted Death Loop and Ghost Wire they were coming to Xbox at launch, now they aren't. Same thing with all the other new Xbox exclusives except for the 2 Moneyhats and the 2 GaaS already on PS5 they're not coming to Sony anymore

Maybe The Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield will be a timed exclusive for PS5 in order for Microsoft to honor their sony customers and fans!

Who knooooows
well, with all the love playstation fans have been spreading for xbox, all those CRAIG memes they floated the internet with, I am sure microsoft owes them too much.
maybe even Starfiled becomes a playstation timed exclusive :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

mnkl13

i think that it will depend on how much the xbox console will sell. if it sells well, it won't be exclusive. if it doesn't, then they will have to make it exclusive to push the sales closer to ps5.

devilNprada

Very good point... Personally I think it's a move against the streaming services five years from now, more so than PS today. As Phil said that's the competition and we see that's the direction they want to go.
Hardware war will be over by early 2021 let's be honest.

The fight now is getting game pass on Playstation. If you need PS+ to access it, it's a win win for everybody.

Alebrije

Bethesda games wont be on PS5 unless Sony is willing to exchange IPs, by example if Sony wants Fallout 5 on PS5 Microsoft will ask Sony to put God of War on Gamepass.

As a Playststion user I really do not care if I do not get Fallout on PS5 even if I like the IP. Exclusives has been this way since SNES era. You get some you lose others.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Bethesda games wont be on PS5 unless Sony is willing to exchange IPs, by example if Sony wants Fallout 5 on PS5 Microsoft will ask Sony to put God of War on Gamepass.

As a Playststion user I really do not care if I do not get Fallout on PS5 even if I like the IP. Exclusives has been this way since SNES era. You get some you lose others.

Unless you own a pc as the world is in the shitter financially and these companies dgaf about that at the moment. I called it months ago and here we are...

Read an interview at lunch with Bethesda boss, asked this he said something about what Microsoft own Sony cannot get.

"I do not think it is any accident that this announcement occurred so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

well-there-it-is.gif

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Raven117

There is so much that can happen between now and the release of Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6. There will probably be timed exclusivity as there is just so much money left on the table if they don't make it multiplatform.

Plus, Microsoft has always had more of a different focus as it uses Xbox and its services to position itself in the technology market at large. I will be curious to see how this acquisition fits into that strategy. I really do think this is less about Sony and more about Microsofts position in the market at large.

We will see.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
There is so much that can happen between now and the release of Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6. There will probably be timed exclusivity as there is just so much money left on the table if they don't make it multiplatform.

We will see.

This logic just carries no water.

Halo would sell great on PS5, should that get a port? Spider-Man would sell great on Xbox, should that get a port?

Games aren't exclusive because other people don't want to buy them, they are exclusive for the very reason that other people want to but them.

Codswallop_

Neophyte
None of the flagship stuff will be releasing on PS5, at least not until a number of years have passed. This is a major get for their brand, it wouldn't make sense for it not to be exclusive.

CatLady

An interesting comment at the end of the article
"MICROSOFT MADE THE SHOCKING ANNOUNCEMENT MONDAY MORNING that the company had acquired ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Bethesda Softworks, the game studio behind major franchises like Elder Scrolls, Starfield, Fallout, Doom, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein, and Dishonored. Now, all of these franchise are part of Xbox Games Studios. What exactly does that mean for upcoming titles like Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield?The short answer is if you're interested in these games, you'll probably have to have Xbox Game Pass Ultimate in some capacity if you want to play it."

We will see.

"I do not think it is any accident that this announcement occurred so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get.

Time to accept and move on.

Plus, Microsoft has always had more of a different focus as it uses Xbox and its services to position itself in the technology market at large. I will be curious to see how this acquisition fits into that strategy. I really do think this is less about Sony and more about Microsofts position in the market at large.

We will see.
You could literally say the exact same thing about any Sony 1st party title. So much money left on the table that Bloodborne/Gow/Spiderman/TLoU isn't coming to Xbox/PC.

This is a case of Sony pony's literally not wanting to share their toys but expect everyone else to. That kid....No body likes that kid. If you don't see it that way....You're that kid.

There is another new interview on Yahoo where Phil talks about exclusives
"We want the Xbox ecosystem to be absolutely the best place to play and game availability is part of that"

Doesn't sound like they want to release on PS5 but you never know I guess

Raven117

This logic just carries no water.

Halo would sell great on PS5, should that get a port? Spider-Man would sell great on Xbox, should that get a port?

Games aren't exclusive because other people don't want to buy them, they are exclusive for the very reason that other people want to but them.
Of course it carries water. And yes, both should as timed exclusives. Remember, MS is and has always been in a different position than Sony in how it relates to the technology market. They will do whatever they need to to leverage against everyone (not just Sony). As I said, I'm not sure how that looks, maybe it is a doubledown on gamepass + cloud gaming. Could make some sense to keep it exclusive to drive sales of this and bring more people into their environment.

Time to accept and move on.
Move on to where? We are just discussing potential corporate strategies and there is no question that things are changing.

Raven117

You could literally say the exact same thing about any Sony 1st party title. So much money left on the table that Bloodborne/Gow/Spiderman/TLoU isn't coming to Xbox/PC.

This is a case of Sony pony's literally not wanting to share their toys but expect everyone else to. That kid....No body likes that kid. If you don't see it that way....You're that kid.
You could, but Sony and Microsoft are very differently positioned. I don't know what that means long term (and neither do you), but Sony's focus is different than Xboxs. Sony does exclusives to drive hardware sales. Microsoft doesn't necessarily. They are doing it to sell services. Maybe its different, maybe it isn't.

Last edited:

NickFire

An interesting comment at the end of the article
That comment is pure speculation and really bad speculation at that. There is no way, absolutely no way, that MS will require Xbox Series X/S owners to subscribe to GPU to play these games. But if you take the comment at face value, that would be the case.

Or I am crazy to believe MS won't stop selling games to its own console base?

Last edited:

entremet

No way lol

I would be shocked if so. Phil chose his language carefully. He said they would meet contractional obligations.

Last edited:
You could, but Sony and Microsoft are very differently positioned. I don't know what that means long term (and neither do you), but Sony's focus is different than Xboxs. Sony does exclusives to drive hardware sales. Microsoft doesn't necessarily. They are doing it to sell services. Maybe its different, maybe it isn't.
Put it this way. Those games, ES6/Starfield/FO5/Dishonored3/etc were going to come to the xbox platform anyways. They didn't need to buy the whole damn company to ensure that. They aren't going to buy the company to put it on both systems. It makes no sense. They may be MORE in the business of selling software and services, but they still sale hardware too. PC gaming is free money for them so of course they are gonna service that market. They aren't in the business of ensuring that PS5 has quality games on it's system or they would have BEEN selling MCC, Forza, etc already on PS4. Nothing stopped them from putting their first party titles on PS4 other than them trying to secure their own hardware sales.

Last edited:

devilNprada

As I said, I'm not sure how that looks, maybe it is a doubledown on gamepass + cloud gaming. Could make some sense to keep it exclusive to drive sales of this and bring more people into their environment.

Agree.. This was a move to combat the upcoming streaming services five years out not to outsell PS5 now.
Hopefully a move that forces Sony's hand to include gamepass.

Edit: Phil came out and said as much, not sure why people here think they know their strategy better than he does.

Last edited:

NickFire

Put it this way. Those games, ES6/Starfield/FO5/Dishonored3/etc were going to come to the xbox platform anyways. They didn't need to buy the whole damn company to ensure that. They aren't going to buy the company to put it on both systems. It makes no sense. They may be MORE in the business of selling software and services, but they still sale hardware too. PC gaming is free money for them so of course they are gonna service that market. They aren't in the business of ensuring that PS5 has quality games on it's system or they would have BEEN selling MCC, Forza, etc already on PS4.
Of course they didn't need to buy it to have the games on Xbox. But they did need to buy it to have it on gamepass day 1.

Has everyone forgotten that gamepass has been trumpeted as the future for a year?

Of course they didn't need to buy it to have the games on Xbox. But they did need to buy it to have it on gamepass day 1.

Has everyone forgotten that gamepass has been trumpeted as the future for a year?
That does nothing to discredit anything I said. So I'm not sure the point you're driving at other than trying to pull some "gotcha" moment about GamePass that I said nothing about?

CatLady

Very good point... Personally I think it's a move against the streaming services five years from now, more so than PS today. As Phil said that's the competition and we see that's the direction they want to go.
Hardware war will be over by early 2021 let's be honest.

The fight now is getting game pass on Playstation. If you need PS+ to access it, it's a win win for everybody.

Sure, big win for Xbox to pay Sony 30% to giveaway the number 1 reason to own an Xbox. Why not let Sony only gamers have all the Xbox exclusives, day and date and keep all their sony exclusives for $10 a month? That makes tons of sense for Xbox. :goog_what:

MS should just donate all of Xbox to Sony.

NickFire

That does nothing to discredit anything I said. So I'm not sure the point you're driving at other than trying to pull some "gotcha" moment about GamePass that I said nothing about?
If their main goal is beefing up gamepass, there is little reason to burn easy money with said goal accomplished.

What's funny is that this thread will go on up until the moment that Starfield is announced and it becomes clear that it isn't coming to any Sony console. Wonder how many pages it will be by then.

Top Bottom