• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Do Non-American English Speakers Say Zed for 'Z' but not Ted for 'T'?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Because we didn't grow up with Sesame Street.
iu

Impotaku

i refuse to take lectures from people who say 'meeer' instead of 'mirror'

and when it comes to Worcestershire
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF
It's fucking hilarious watching them trying to pronounce that one, woooostashaa, wourcestercestishire.

Maybe it can be used in english tests in america, teacher holds up a bottle of lee & perrins and they have to try & pronounce it lol.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's Zulu in all practicality. Zed is for 3 year olds learning the alphabet. Zee is an American thing, so inheritantly incorrect.
The last part got a healthy chuckle out of me. Thank you.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably the same reason why the US and two poor nations are the only ones that still use Imperial measurement.

Only three countries – the U.S., Liberia and Myanmar – still (mostly or officially) stick to the imperial system, which uses distances, weight, height or area measurements that can ultimately be traced back to body parts or everyday items.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Probably the same reason why the US and two poor nations are the only ones that still use Imperial measurement.

Only three countries – the U.S., Liberia and Myanmar – still (mostly or officially) stick to the imperial system, which uses distances, weight, height or area measurements that can ultimately be traced back to body parts or everyday items.

Funnily enough since 1959 all the imperial units only exist as conversions from metric units, that means the formal definition of an inch is 2.54 centimeters.

That’s right boys, the American imperial units are nothing but a lie. You’ve been using metric all along for over 60 years!

INC

Funnily enough since 1959 all the imperial units only exist as conversions from metric units, that means the formal definition of an inch is 2.54 centimeters.

That’s right boys, the American imperial units are nothing but a lie. You’ve been using metric all along for over 60 years!

They cant even get the day and month round the right way, as if theyre gonna notice the metric system

Codes 208

English in general is weird. Why is thermo pronounced Thur-mo and meter as mee-ter but thermometer is Thur-mom-ehter instead of Thur-mo-mee-ter

Tschumi

I still have to understand why Americans pronounce X as "zee" (in a word).
i don't like how they say 'ecksavier' instead of 'zavier' for 'xavier'

John C Reilly Seriously GIF

English in general is weird. Why is thermo pronounced Thur-mo and meter as mee-ter but thermometer is Thur-mom-ehter instead of Thur-mo-mee-ter
to be fair i pronounce it ther-moh-meter... like the only thing i change is i round out the central 'o' sound

Last edited:

TheGrat1

i don't like how they say 'ecksavier' instead of 'zavier' for 'xavier'
That is a case-by-case thing.

Charles Xavier from X-Men = ecks-zave-yur
Xavier University - Zay-vee-yur
Xavien Howard (Football Player) = Zay-vee-en

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Growing up watching Americans on TV, I always wondered what a “Gram cracker” was. Your country doesn’t seem to be able to say Graham.

Anyway fuck off, I’m going to watch Dragonball Zed.

edit: you cunts can’t say “Craig” either. Who the fuck is Creg? It doesn’t rhyme with Greg.

Last edited:

INC

Growing up watching Americans on TV, I always wondered what a “Gram cracker” was. Your country doesn’t seem to be able to say Graham.

Anyway fuck off, I’m going to watch Dragonball Zed.

edit: you cunts can’t say “Craig” either. Who the fuck is Creg? It doesn’t rhyme with Greg.

Another is vehicle

Most american shows it "verr-heree-cal"
Over here "veer-call'

Language its funny sometimes, its what binds us together, but also separates us.

Tschumi

That is a case-by-case thing.

Charles Xavier from X-Men = ecks-zave-yur
Xavier University - Zay-vee-yur
Xavien Howard (Football Player) = Zay-vee-en
>.> I'll accept the X-zavier because it's X-men, but in all other instances i reject, reject most whole heartedly, i say!

one thing yanks can be proud of: they spell aluminum right. aluminium was made up by europeans so it would fit in more nicely with the other '-ium' words...

Soodanim

Gold Member
>.> I'll accept the X-zavier because it's X-men, but in all other instances i reject, reject most whole heartedly, i say!

one thing yanks can be proud of: they spell aluminum right. aluminium was made up by europeans so it would fit in more nicely with the other '-ium' words...
I was under the impression that aluminium and aluminum are both right, but I can't remember where I read that now

MastaKiiLA

I always thought it was to make it easier to distinguish between the spoken Z and C. Kinda like how people like me draw a horizontal line through the middle of a written Z to differentiate from a 2. I'm probably wrong, and it's probably something much more stupid.

Top Bottom