• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I deal with PTSD?

I don't want to go over it again in too much detail (but I fear I will do so anyway to give the important details), as it will trigger me again but an event happened to my wife and I a few months ago that has left me with PTSD and I would like to ask Gaf for advice on how I should deal with it.

Essentially I live in North Israel, we are in a town called Safed which is relatively close to the Lebanon Border and in range of Hizbollah's rockets.

We have very loud sirens that go off in town and in a Government app whenever rockets/drones enter into our airspace and we only have 30 seconds to enter a bomb shelter for protection. My own house thank G-D has its own bomb shelter, we are talking about reinforced steel, a hardcore heavy door, and other things to provide protection. If you want hear what the sirens sound like download a nuclear warning siren for your phone, put it on full blast and if you really want to recreate the experience imagine loudly the phone blaring something along the lines of ALERT, ALERT ROCKET ATTACK (or whatever event is going on), ENTER YOUR PROTECTED SPACE etc), then imagine every time the sirens go off your phone goes off like that many times over. Then imagine that those sirens are also blaring outside.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, this has been happening multiple times since the war started. But the first time it happened we were told to go to the shelter due to what the Government emergency said was Hizbollah invading into our town. We were told to turn off all the lights, grab weapons and wait.

After an hour or so we we were able to leave. Thank G-D it was a false alarm! But it gave me a lot of trauma. I generally thought I was going to die. I had to say good bye to my wife whom was with me and my family and friends. It's really shaken me up.

Ever since then I just can't cope with Loud bangs, noises, even the sound of thunder. We've had more sirens since then and more times in the bomb shelter. I constantly feel scared, on edge, anxious. When I'm back in the shelter hearing the sirens I just can't cope and I have no idea how much longer this will keep going on for. If things get worse I don't know how I'm going to cope.

Just a few days ago we had a major attack here with rockets. Several injured, two dead. I couldn't get out of bed the next day in the morning. The shock and fear still hasn't left me totally. How will I cope if it's hundreds of rockets every day into Safed like it was in the 2006 war with Hizbollah?

I have to remain strong. And try and be as normal as possible. I can't let the ptsd effect my marriage, as it did the first time we left the bomb shelter. I just don't know what to do. The fear is non stop because the risk with Hizbollah is non stop.

I could really do with some advice here.

Thanks Gaf.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I imagine with what Israel is going through on a daily basis since (checks notes) the day it was founded you would have quite a few skilled psychologues that help people deal with the trauma? Have you seen one?

I would first go and see a professional, following that - have you though about relocating to other part of Israel where there is little/none rocket warnings or even emmigrating?

Last edited:

Ownage

Also, try to talk about what you're feeling with someone or people who are nonjudgmental and empathetic. Talking about your stress is a good way to release some of the burden.

I imagine with what Israel is going through on a daily basis since (checks notes) the day it was founded you would have quite a few skilled psychologues that help people deal with the trauma? Have you seen one?

I would first go and see a professional, following that - have you though about relocating to other part of Israel where there is little/none rocket warnings or even emmigrating?
On the first point yes I absolutely need to do that.

On the second point, Hizbollah long reach rockets can reach anywhere I think. (G-D forbid).

Third point. I'll never leave. Israel is my homeland.

Thank you.

DKehoe

As winjer winjer said, this is probably something you are best seeking professional help about. If you aren't able to see a therapist or someone like that maybe look and see if there are any support groups in your area.

winjer

Gold Member
Right. But getting support even from Gaf on top. It makes me feel less alone. It's hard to explain.

We can talk with you and give some support.
But PTSD is not a light matter, it's something serious that requires professional help.
I'm not trying to be a contrarian. I'm just trying to put into the proper framing, that PTSD in a war zone, is something very serious.

Most of us live in Europe or the USA, so we have no idea of what it's like to be at a threat of military invasion and bombings.

We can talk with you and give some support.
But PTSD is not a light matter, it's something serious that requires professional help.
I'm not trying to be a contrarian. I'm just trying to put into the proper framing, that PTSD in a war zone, is something very serious.

Most of us live in Europe or the USA, so we have no idea of what it's like to be at a threat of military invasion and bombings.
Yeah. Your right. So maybe just talking or reading what you guys have to say while not professional, is support in some way. Every little bit helps. I'm just frightened. I don't want to feel alone.

DKehoe

Yeah. Your right. So maybe just talking or reading what you guys have to say while not professional, is support in some way. Every little bit helps. I'm just frightened. I don't want to feel alone.
I think it's totally understandable and natural to be frightened in the situation you are in. You're always welcome to talk through what you're going through with us. With something as serious as PTSD we might always have the answers but know that you aren't alone.

winjer

Gold Member

Hopefully this thing will end soon, as the IDF clears out the remains of Hamas in the south.
Then we can all go back to a normal, civilized living.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
darkangel-212559 darkangel-212559 , I want to echo what’s already been said here: you’re definitely not alone, even though it might sometimes feel that way. It’s hard not to think about the challenges Israel faces, both now and throughout its history. Your resilience, as part of a people that has overcome so much, is truly inspiring. Remember, resilience is woven into your heritage, and I believe that strength will see you through these times as well.

If things are feeling overwhelming, please consider reaching out to support services (there's even online services) where health professionals can offer guidance. They’re there to help. Also, have you thought about maybe taking a temporary break from Safed and relocating further south until things settle down? The respite would be immensely helpful to your well-being.

Your readiness, including both private and public bomb shelters, is a testament to your preparedness. And with Israel’s advanced air defenses and the IDF’s increased presence in the north, I hope you can find some reassurance in the measures being taken to ensure your safety. Stay strong, and remember, we stand with Israel.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't want to go over it again in too much detail (but I fear I will do so anyway to give the important details), as it will trigger me again but an event happened to my wife and I a few months ago that has left me with PTSD and I would like to ask Gaf for advice on how I should deal with it.

Essentially I live in North Israel, we are in a town called Safed which is relatively close to the Lebanon Border and in range of Hizbollah's rockets.

We have very loud sirens that go off in town and in a Government app whenever rockets/drones enter into our airspace and we only have 30 seconds to enter a bomb shelter for protection. My own house thank G-D has its own bomb shelter, we are talking about reinforced steel, a hardcore heavy door, and other things to provide protection. If you want hear what the sirens sound like download a nuclear warning siren for your phone, put it on full blast and if you really want to recreate the experience imagine loudly the phone blaring something along the lines of ALERT, ALERT ROCKET ATTACK (or whatever event is going on), ENTER YOUR PROTECTED SPACE etc), then imagine every time the sirens go off your phone goes off like that many times over. Then imagine that those sirens are also blaring outside.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, this has been happening multiple times since the war started. But the first time it happened we were told to go to the shelter due to what the Government emergency said was Hizbollah invading into our town. We were told to turn off all the lights, grab weapons and wait.

After an hour or so we we were able to leave. Thank G-D it was a false alarm! But it gave me a lot of trauma. I generally thought I was going to die. I had to say good bye to my wife whom was with me and my family and friends. It's really shaken me up.

Ever since then I just can't cope with Loud bangs, noises, even the sound of thunder. We've had more sirens since then and more times in the bomb shelter. I constantly feel scared, on edge, anxious. When I'm back in the shelter hearing the sirens I just can't cope and I have no idea how much longer this will keep going on for. If things get worse I don't know how I'm going to cope.

Just a few days ago we had a major attack here with rockets. Several injured, two dead. I couldn't get out of bed the next day in the morning. The shock and fear still hasn't left me totally. How will I cope if it's hundreds of rockets every day into Safed like it was in the 2006 war with Hizbollah?

I have to remain strong. And try and be as normal as possible. I can't let the ptsd effect my marriage, as it did the first time we left the bomb shelter. I just don't know what to do. The fear is non stop because the risk with Hizbollah is non stop.

I could really do with some advice here.

Thanks Gaf.
I strongly recommend reading this book:

It not only explains what exactly is happening with PTSD and how it forms in the first place, but describes many new discoveries and treatment options that have come out in more recent years. It will give you a good start on understanding what is going on with you and what sort of professional assistance to find, as well as the limitations of some treatments that may be thrown at you. It does have some descriptions of experiences other people went through, so you may want to have a friend who doesn't have PTSD go through it with you in case some parts are triggering to you and you need someone to convey the meaning of a part you skip.

Last edited:

Dis

Damn hope this wont go on for longer in Israel. 🙏

I hope everything will be ok

In these cases i would hold on to religion.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Right. But getting support even from Gaf on top. It makes me feel less alone. It's hard to explain.

Im sorry for what you and everyone has to live with, its a sick world. I cant offer much help but make sure you talk to your wife and family so they can understand, you all need each other more than ever. Outside of seeing a professional try some calming and breathing techniques, not that im an expert but look on youtube for ptsd, anxiety and stress techniques. Maybe get some good earplugs so you can take yourself away from the sounds or at least dull them out aswell.
Stay strong and i wish you and your family the best.

Z O N E

Honestly, talk to your wife. Tell her how it's all making you feel. At the end of the day, she's the one next to you just like you're the one next to her. You 2 are each others support structures.

She will definitely understand and I'm sure she also has her own worries about it too.

You're not alone. Head up high, stand strong and think forward.

Leopold

Had the same and I live in the Merkaz. Seek professional help and if possible, get a week or so in Cyprus to relax. Unfortunately I do not see this getting solved in the short-medium perspective.

Top Bottom