• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Ace Combat return but not Ridge Racer?

Naked Lunch

That was easily the worst AC game I played and I've played most of them.

It was gimmicky as hell when they did the AC-130 act which was exactly like COD4's AC-130 level.
Absolutely - and once Assault Horizon bombed saleswise afterwards, the Ace Combat fanbase thought the series was dead forever.
Thank goodness Ace Combat 7 got the greenlight years later and went back to its roots - and was a hit with the general public as well.

Ace Combat is still the cream of the crop when it comes to jet fighting - nothing even close, zero competition.

Wonko_C

PSVR2 would be a good excuse to bring the series back. Ridge Racer has always been synonymous with hi-tech platform launches, but the PS5 window already came and went.

ParaSeoul

Way too much disrespect towards Ace Combat - that series was owed a return as well after the horrid Assault Horizon. Horizon came out in 2011 and dumbed down the series beyond belief - before that the last real entry was Ace Combat 6 in 2007. So yeah - Ace Combat fans were waiting a long time too.

But yeah, Ridge Racer needs to make a comeback as well.
No disrespect,I would like it if both were still around. Namco's a big company,those anime game profits are probably high enough for them to take more risks.

gundalf

My most favourite racing series and I still adore the RR:T4 OST to this day. Too bad that the RR team disbanded, now there is no talent left at namco to resurrect the franchise.

VN1X

Banned
Never understood how we've gone so long without a new Ridge Racer. There was a time it was synonymous with Playstation and was at every launch of a Playstation console now its just relegated to mobile. Was Ace Combat even more popular than it or is it just because arcade racers in general are not as prevalent as before?

Not sure why you're comparing these vastly different games but sure I'll bite. Ace Combat has a lot more going for it than just going around in laps or going from point a to point b (if you boil them down to basic gameplay mechanics anyway). From the story to visuals, gameplay, writing etc. I mean the soundtracks alone are worth the price of admission.

Loved both of these titles on PS1. A new RR would be great, hopefully with the OTT PA guy from the original. Might work if they made it a smaller simpler game (at a lower price), rather than trying to compete as a big AAA.

TC H.A.W.X was a good series on 360. But yeah, Ace doesn't have a lot of competition.

Wish HAWX would come back because of it having coop for the campaign. Not to mention I will take it's generic story/setting/dialogue over the absolute cringefest of Ace Combat games. I still bought the most recent one but really wished there was a "mute all dialogue" button for the entire game, possibly a "skip all cutscenes" one too, lol. Just let me fly and blow shit up.

yurinka

I loved specially the PSP games, Rage Racer and Type 4. Sadly for me the last Ridge Racer is the Vita one, which was cool buck sadly was hurt by its DLC strategy and lack of content.

I'd love to see some sort of reboot that remakes and merges in a single game all the content (game modes, cars, music tracks, circuits...) from the entire series -ending in the Vita game- plus a few additions, focusing on the gameplay of the PSP games and upgrades the visuals to 4K 60fps visuals that keep the classic the art style of the series.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

It got a bit silly with the sideways bollocks.

In Ridge Racer PSP you can go drift left into a right turn and the car still goes round the corner and you rotate round 270 degrees :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I still feel like I had some sort of spaz-easy mode activated by mistake the whole time I was playing because it was so stupid.

Not sure why it didn't return..I just wanted to add that man I really used to love the presentation on Namcos games back in the day. The hype/buildup to R4 and the style of all the ads back then were so dope...I even remember collecting the issue of PSM Magazine with the huge blow out on it and all of the memory card stickers..used to go grocery store to grocery store buying it so my bro and I could have tons of em lol.

Good times

Wonko_C

In Ridge Racer PSP you can go drift left into a right turn and the car still goes round the corner and you rotate round 270 degrees :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I still feel like I had some sort of spaz-easy mode activated by mistake the whole time I was playing because it was so stupid.
Same with RR6 and 7. And I loved them for it.

Top Bottom