• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Ace Combat return but not Ridge Racer?

ParaSeoul

Never understood how we've gone so long without a new Ridge Racer. There was a time it was synonymous with Playstation and was at every launch of a Playstation console now its just relegated to mobile. Was Ace Combat even more popular than it or is it just because arcade racers in general are not as prevalent as before?

nush

Not when you have hot asian waifus in your game

Reiko-Nagase.jpg

She'd fit in a plane.

RAIDEN1

If Need for Speed Hot Pursuit can make a re-entry without any fuss, then I don't see why we couldn't get Ridge Racer 7 again but just with a few more bells and whistles so to speak.....right now, if you want to play Ridge Racer on any "current" consoles, your best bet is on the Series X with the release of Ridge Racer 6....that is about as good as it gets.

ManaByte

I think it’s because of the rise of sim cades and forza horizon quite honestly. I would love a new ridge racer but don’t think the kiddies would like it.

This. There is way more competition in the arcade racing genre than in the flight combat one.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
alot of competition in the racing genre and racing genre is a niche market.

I always enjoyed Ridge Racer but never played past the very first Air Combat on PS1 even though I enjoyed it. I'm guessing the Air Combats made more money. It was great news to see MS add Ridge Racer 6 to back compatibility recently. I still had my original 360 disc and was able to jump back in. Such an awesome feature and it was pretty cool to play the game I bought so long ago for no additional charge. Hopefully this allows more people to get even a taste of how cool the series was. R4 still has the best soundtrack maybe Sony will do some improved back for PlayStation 5. I still have my R4 and R7 discs. Let me use em Sony!

Lognor

Banned
There was a rumor a year or more ago that a new Ridge Racer game was coming to the Switch. That's gotta be one of the most random rumors I've ever heard.

RAIDEN1

Maybe they are cooler technically but its more fun to master a course than a flying mission imo, too much open space in the air to make you feel as badass as drifting perfectly round every corner. While music like this plays:

Although this is also brilliant and adds to the game so much for me:

The only good thing about Ridge Racer 4 was its music, having played it on the PS3 a few years ago and completing it, I found it to be under-whelming, I was like what? Is that it? That remains the only Ridge Racer game I have ever completed....never got through Ridge Racer 7

Kuranghi

The only good thing about Ridge Racer 4 was its music, having played it on the PS3 a few years ago and completing it, I found it to be under-whelming, I was like what? Is that it? That remains the only Ridge Racer game I have ever completed....never got through Ridge Racer 7

Aye I barely played that one, I only really played the first 2 and the spinoffs but I do like the music of RR4.

Gp1

Probably because Ace Combat is the only arcade flight/fighter pilot game available on the market with some minimal production value, beside some indie games here and there. And Ridge Racer got surpassed by other arcade racers.

But Ace need some competition. Maybe when Eagle Dynamic becomes a mainstream developer...

ReBurn

Gold Member
I definitely didn't like Ridge Racer Type 4 as much as the ones that came before it. Ridge Racer V was more fun to me, but by the time 6 and 7 came along I started to lose interest. I've been thinking of picking up 6 on Xbox again since it's backward compatible now.

RAIDEN1

I definitely didn't like Ridge Racer Type 4 as much as the ones that came before it. Ridge Racer V was more fun to me, but by the time 6 and 7 came along I started to lose interest. I've been thinking of picking up 6 on Xbox again since it's backward compatible now.
Yeah and about the only title in the series that is....lets see what Sony do with their new PSN + model..

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would love a new RR myself but they would probably try to turn it into a horizon and make it more realistic so I’m kind of happy they left it alone.

nush

I would love a new RR myself but they would probably try to turn it into a horizon and make it more realistic so I’m kind of happy they left it alone.

Once Burnout went Paradise the bar was raised too high. There's certain genres that the mass market (The casuals) just see as something very simple, and Ridge Racer is "Just cars going round a track". I still think a Ridge remastered collection would sell, Ridge 1-4 and then Ridge 5-7.

Brigandier

Once Burnout went Paradise the bar was raised too high. There's certain genres that the mass market (The casuals) just see as something very simple, and Ridge Racer is "Just cars going round a track". I still think a Ridge remastered collection would sell, Ridge 1-4 and then Ridge 5-7.

I would love to see a remastered RR with many tracks from the series included.

I miss the online racing from RR7 and the Vita RR were great fun.

4k 120fps RR 🤤

nush

Is it really? The arcade racer genre has been utterly empty of regular new releases for decades now.

"Arcade" racer is just too simple and can't justify the price tag. They just stopped selling in the numbers needed. Case in point Blur bombed.

stranno

Ace Combat trilogy was probably the biggest graphics evolution ever seen on a Playstation series. It's pretty crazy to see the difference between a green gradient with some isles floating here and there to a very complex 3D world of Electrosphere.

2BGM18F.gif
1zGSkFZ.gif
tbLqvSJ.gif

8LjaHAl.gif
t4MCVVi.gif
014wLi3.gif

ndqdvME.gif
2mo1YXw.gif

Shmunter

More evolved arcade racers have come and also been axed, so this would be low on the resurrection pile.

Give me a next gen Project Gotham and I may even bite on an X. And let’s not even bring up Driveclub.

Brofist

For arcade racers I'd love a new off the wall Midnight Club game that's more similar to MC2 than the later ones.

Of course a new RR would be awesome too.

Arcade racers now need a gimmick to survive. Or they need to be somewhere in between sim and arcade, like FH

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Aside from Mario Kart which is it's own quirky fun racer, the typical NFS/Ridge Racer/Burnout kind of fast paced arcadey racer died long time ago. Probably the 360/PS3 era was the last time there were tons of them. Games are too shallow. Fast paced fun, but no depth. It's got so bad EA doesn't even release an annual NFS game anymore.

Racing fans either do Mario Kart for wacky fun or GT, Forza, Assetto kinds of games for racers that are more sim. Even if someone adjusts the settings to be all out bumper car races, it still has real cars and decal. And thats what people like. Forza Horizon is a different animal as it's a weird combo of arcadey, sim with real cars and open world.

I dont think too many gamers want to race with Ms. Pac Man paint on their car.

As for Ace Combat. I dont think this series sells a ton, but not too many jet fighter games on console. It's basically Ace and some AA games that come out of nowhere sometimes like Sturmovik or those Midway 360 games.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Loved both of these titles on PS1. A new RR would be great, hopefully with the OTT PA guy from the original. Might work if they made it a smaller simpler game (at a lower price), rather than trying to compete as a big AAA.

As for Ace Combat. I dont think this series sells a ton, but not too many jet fighter games on console. It's basically Ace and some AA games that come out of nowhere sometimes like Sturmovik or those Midway 360 games.

TC H.A.W.X was a good series on 360. But yeah, Ace doesn't have a lot of competition.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Loved both of these titles on PS1. A new RR would be great, hopefully with the OTT PA guy from the original. Might work if they made it a smaller simpler game (at a lower price), rather than trying to compete as a big AAA.

TC H.A.W.X was a good series on 360. But yeah, Ace doesn't have a lot of competition.
Battlestations on 360 was actually pretty good. Googling it there were two. I forget which one I dabbled with, but probably he first one. Came out of nowhere as a low key game and was surprisingly decent.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Way too much disrespect towards Ace Combat - that series was owed a return as well after the horrid Assault Horizon. Horizon came out in 2011 and dumbed down the series beyond belief - before that the last real entry was Ace Combat 6 in 2007. So yeah - Ace Combat fans were waiting a long time too.

But yeah, Ridge Racer needs to make a comeback as well.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Burnout Paradise was such a disappointment. The world needs less open world racers and more closed circuit racers but the demand for arcade titles just isn't there anymore. At least we got a new Cruis'N this year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Way too much disrespect towards Ace Combat - that series was owed a return as well after the horrid Assault Horizon. Horizon came out in 2011 and dumbed down the series beyond belief - before that the last real entry was Ace Combat 6 in 2007. So yeah - Ace Combat fans were waiting a long time too.
That was easily the worst AC game I played and I've played most of them.

It was gimmicky as hell when they did the AC-130 act which was exactly like COD4's AC-130 level.

RaZoR No1

Because the trolls won & made Ridge Racer into a online meme
Nah it was because the last game was not a real RR anymore.
Ridge Racer Unbounded (?) was just a cheap Split Second reskin.
Even the F2P PC Version after that didn't even help.
It literally had nothing to do with RR anymore.

Top Bottom