• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVMERS: Sony's Failed "Forza Killer" - The Tragedy of Driveclub

freefornow

Gold Member
Driveclub was one of the first games I played when I finally got around to buying PS4 (late adopter)

Boy was I let down by the hype around this game. Particularly on this forum (I soon learned that gifs flatter games graphics).
Found it somewhat dull, graphics were nice but not what every poster was ejaculating over.

bootaski

Does anybody here have any info on the future of Onrush servers? GameSparks, which the game uses, shuts down in 4 days. I'm have 4 trophies left for the platinum, I'd like to know if I have enough time left.

nikos

Don't think DRIVECLUB was meant to be a Forza killer, as they're two completely different games. Also, DRIVECLUB was incredible.

These publications keep getting worse.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah unfortunately I tried it. Everything is sub mediocre in it, especially handling and no 4k 60 fps wouldn't save it.

49485477837_4b3e22b4ee_o.png

49468892421_a400e37a4f_o.png
I still remember the massive input lag. Ugh!!!

l2ounD

Don't think DRIVECLUB was meant to be a Forza killer, as they're two completely different games. Also, DRIVECLUB was incredible.

These publications keep getting worse.
That channel actually does good recaps of the games timeline. The one about Aliens was really accurate. But yeah Driveclub is still incredible.

Found out a lil while back that the game can be modded for an fps boost as well to change the aspect ratio.

nikos

That channel actually does good recaps of the games timeline. The one about Aliens was really accurate. But yeah Driveclub is still incredible.

Found out a lil while back that the game can be modded for an fps boost as well to change the aspect ratio.

Wow, never knew this was possible! Had I not sold my PS4, I would have definitely tried this immediately.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I still don't get why this game failed. Granted, I only played it once all the DLC was out, but still, game was quite fun. Imagine a PS5 exclusive DC2.
Driveclub was close to being the dark souls of racers in terms of being harsh on mistakes

Had Driveclub been more casual like Forza Horizon or at least more lenient like mainline Forza, it would've done very well

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In 2013 Sony announced a new and revolutionary racing game to help usher in the PlayStation 4 called Driveclub. This is the story of the racer meant to ride the wave of a new and exciting generation of connected social games but ultimately crashed at the finish line, leading to its studio's collapse and changing how we look at connected games forever.

Lasha

Driveclub looked amazing. It lacked legs because the driving was not very fun after awhile. The entire driving model felt off for lack of a better word. The game was Sony's answer to PGR rather than Forza though. I wish Sony stuck with the series.

Monad

The closest thing to a spiritual successor of PGR4, sadly overshadowed by a disastrous launch and Sony's active effort to kill off the studio.

I keep pleasant memories of it, and even though I think it was a step or two below the grandiose PGR saga, Evolution Studios (which also had ex-Bizarre members) didn't deserve that fate.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

One of the best racing games that I have played. And I played a HUGE amount of them.
I will never understand what happened and will always love Driveclub.

Gran Turismo came first, Forza would be hopeful "Gran Turismo killer" and failing just like Klllzone did for Halo.

You could very loosely paint Driveclub as Forza Horizon killer, yet it comes nowhere near close to be that type of game. I actually said at the time the Motorstorm devs and Sony should've really aimed for that large open gnarly offroad car game. Instead we got this limited and dull point to point with awesome weather.

Just imagine the tech behind Driveclub featuring in a Horizon/Motorstorm type game and also the fantastic rain being used in the full Gran Turismo. Polyphony have struggled with rain for a long time. Motostorm devs could've been what Playground have been for Forza. It was a real missed opportunity for Sony and Gran Turismo.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

A good game nuked by publisher insistence that it make use of all the new online features of the PS4. The 'driving with and against friends' angle was pushed so hard, but it wasn't by any stretch the most interesting feature.

Cyborg

The game was super fun, more fun than GT but it lacked content and had a troublesome launch. I have platinumed it and would love a revival.

Top Bottom