• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Who do you think is the most creative and memorable enemy or boss in a video game?

levyjl1988

Jan 31, 2010
Canada, Toronto
I got to give it to Dark Souls, ghost enemy.
Your attacks go through it unless you use Transient Curse or use a curse weapon.
The thing is intimidating at early levels when you go blind, they fade through walls and their reach is pretty far.
They really sell the atmosphere of the area. I'm getting Lord of the Rings vibes with this one with certain weapons only effective against ghosts.

Anyway, who do you think is such a creative enemy or boss? Any other recommendations? Like an enemy that is memorable to you.

Plantoid

Nov 4, 2015
World of warcraft's LICH KING 25man HEROIC!!1

seriously, can't remember a better feeling than beating the fucker when he was the hardest boss, also for it's history.

elliot5

Apr 22, 2021
Sephiroth in KH is dope
Psychonauts 2 had some awesome boss battles in terms of creativity/theming.

Reactions: Ailynn

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Jan 20, 2014
Cyberdemon in Doom 2016. Loved beating the shit outta that mutherfucker once I figured out how to take his ass down.

Swoopsail

Apr 18, 2021
Ganon, Ocarina of Time with the original dark fiery graphics. That battle felt like the end of the world during the transformation and collapse of the castle. You went from this silly kid all the way to an adult with this way more serious tone; lovely. Probably looks dated now to new eyes though.

Last edited:

Yumi

May 18, 2019
I got to give it to Dark Souls, ghost enemy.
Your attacks go through it unless you use Transient Curse or use a curse weapon.
The thing is intimidating at early levels when you go blind, they fade through walls and their reach is pretty far.
They really sell the atmosphere of the area. I'm getting Lord of the Rings vibes with this one with certain weapons only effective against ghosts.

Anyway, who do you think is such a creative enemy or boss? Any other recommendations? Like an enemy that is memorable to you.
it’s also “fun” when you realize that they are the ghosts of the corpses find at the bottom, those who died when the sealers flooded the city.

Fahdis

Nov 30, 2018
Psycho Mantis was a gimmick.
Fortune was a hack.
The End actually took skill.

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018
Hands Down Psycho Mantis from MGS was the most creative

Memorable? Hmmm. The Heart from Contra in the aliens' nest.

That or Super Mario Bros. - Bowser.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Aug 28, 2009
Old Monk from Demon's Souls is the most creative.Especially back in 2009.

Most memorable are the first Colossus from SOTC and Pyramid Head.

Reactions: Kerkermeister

Three

Oct 26, 2014

Pretty sure it was the first Double Dragon - or at least a port of it. I remember the first time we finally finished it, only to discover you then have to fight each other, with the other player serving as the final boss. An epic "wtf" moment for the ages.
EA game spoiler

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2007
Psycho Mantis was a gimmick.
Fortune was a hack.
The End was super cool, but you could technically beat him just by not playing the game so he died of old age if you found him too hard or frustrating. I think you could kill him in an earlier "cutscene" as well and not fight him at all. He had so many options. Definitely memorable to the highest degree.

Great Hair

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Yes

Easily the best boss fight ever. Managing to sneak up on the old fucker was so satisfying and there's so many ways to take on that fight that are all equally satisfying

There was even a hack they included where you could set your PS2 clock forward and he would die of old age
The End was super cool, but you could technically beat him just by not playing the game so he died of old age if you found him too hard or frustrating. I think you could kill him in an earlier "cutscene" as well and not fight him at all. He had so many options. Definitely memorable to the highest degree.

Reactions: genesisblock

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
For me the most memorable boss fights are the ones that are clones of the player. Vergil in DMC3 and 5, Genishiro from Sekiro - They felt fantastic to fight against.

Reactions: YukiOnna

Hugare

Sep 8, 2019
Most creative gotta be The End

I was in awe with the whole thing.

Most memorable, to me, is fighting Red in Pokemon Silver.

Back then I was 6 years old or so and I knew shit about English. So finishing a simple game like Pokemon was hard, couldnt understand a thing.

Was trial and error all the way through. No internet to look where to go, nothing.

When I found Red at the top of the mountain, I lost all my shit.

Reactions: NeoIkaruGAF

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
Tennessee, USA
M̷̳̱̻̹͐̇̋̂̃̌̈O̷̡̡̭͉̖̖͔̪͚̾̀̌̔̅̂̈̔͊͜T̶̨̛̞̙̩̙̩̪̠̹͉̼͙̖̉̍̀H̶̢̠̗͚͓̲̣͉̦̩̪̜̘̒̈͛́͂̐͝͝ͅͅĘ̸̥̯̠̙̦̩͚̦̞̩̜̪̀̀̒͜Ŕ̶̡̙̯̹̝͓͉̫͙̣̀̋̈̾̋̎̔̕͘͜ ̷͔͈̥́̏͐͌̍̌B̶̛͓͔̩̪̤̮̰̘̥̯͇̯̂̀͐͗͒̐̕͜R̷̻̯̺͕͓̍̌̃̓̅̽̌̈́̈́̓̊̓̾͝͠A̵̢̗̺͉͔̗̓̌͒͑́̈͆̒̇̾̽̋͝Ḭ̶̢̡͎̹̩̼̩̝̖̠͎̼̫̿̑̓̈͘͝Ǹ̴̰͉̥̹͈̠̀͊̿̉̎̐̆̈́

Kumomeme

Mar 20, 2017
Malaysia
FFXIV Alexander Soul of Creator (A12) time mechanic come to mind

other than that, FF6 Gogo fight is interesting

Fredrik

Jun 27, 2005
The teeth wheel head enemy in Project Eve is incredibly original in both design and attacks. Timestamped

Sepiroth will never be forgotten either. Not really original but the story combined with how they presented him through the cutscenes made him get etched to my brain.

And pretty much every boss in Super Metroid, but it might be because it’s my favorite game of all time and I can’t even count how many times I’ve played it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heimdall_Xtreme