• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who do you think is the most creative and memorable enemy or boss in a video game?

levyjl1988

Banned
I got to give it to Dark Souls, ghost enemy.
Your attacks go through it unless you use Transient Curse or use a curse weapon.
The thing is intimidating at early levels when you go blind, they fade through walls and their reach is pretty far.
They really sell the atmosphere of the area. I'm getting Lord of the Rings vibes with this one with certain weapons only effective against ghosts.

Y0W87us.jpg

VwQ6zji.jpg

Anyway, who do you think is such a creative enemy or boss? Any other recommendations? Like an enemy that is memorable to you.

Plantoid

World of warcraft's LICH KING 25man HEROIC!!1

seriously, can't remember a better feeling than beating the fucker when he was the hardest boss, also for it's history.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cyberdemon in Doom 2016. Loved beating the shit outta that mutherfucker once I figured out how to take his ass down.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Ganon, Ocarina of Time with the original dark fiery graphics. That battle felt like the end of the world during the transformation and collapse of the castle. You went from this silly kid all the way to an adult with this way more serious tone; lovely. Probably looks dated now to new eyes though.

Last edited:

Yumi

I got to give it to Dark Souls, ghost enemy.
Your attacks go through it unless you use Transient Curse or use a curse weapon.
The thing is intimidating at early levels when you go blind, they fade through walls and their reach is pretty far.
They really sell the atmosphere of the area. I'm getting Lord of the Rings vibes with this one with certain weapons only effective against ghosts.

Y0W87us.jpg

VwQ6zji.jpg

Anyway, who do you think is such a creative enemy or boss? Any other recommendations? Like an enemy that is memorable to you.
it’s also “fun” when you realize that they are the ghosts of the corpses find at the bottom, those who died when the sealers flooded the city.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hands Down Psycho Mantis from MGS was the most creative

Memorable? Hmmm. The Heart from Contra in the aliens' nest.

That or Super Mario Bros. - Bowser.

Last edited:

Three

hqdefault.jpg

Pretty sure it was the first Double Dragon - or at least a port of it. I remember the first time we finally finished it, only to discover you then have to fight each other, with the other player serving as the final boss. An epic "wtf" moment for the ages.
EA game spoiler

Last edited:
Psycho Mantis was a gimmick.
Fortune was a hack.
The End actually took skill.
The End was super cool, but you could technically beat him just by not playing the game so he died of old age if you found him too hard or frustrating. I think you could kill him in an earlier "cutscene" as well and not fight him at all. He had so many options. Definitely memorable to the highest degree.

Great Hair

Banned
The End actually took skill.
Yes

Easily the best boss fight ever. Managing to sneak up on the old fucker was so satisfying and there's so many ways to take on that fight that are all equally satisfying

There was even a hack they included where you could set your PS2 clock forward and he would die of old age
The End was super cool, but you could technically beat him just by not playing the game so he died of old age if you found him too hard or frustrating. I think you could kill him in an earlier "cutscene" as well and not fight him at all. He had so many options. Definitely memorable to the highest degree.

iu
iu

iu
iu

iu
iu
iu
iu
iu
iu
iu

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
For me the most memorable boss fights are the ones that are clones of the player. Vergil in DMC3 and 5, Genishiro from Sekiro - They felt fantastic to fight against.

Kagero

Psycho Mantis
This is the right answer. For the yougins that haven’t played this. When you fight him. He tells you the last couple games you’ve been playing. He also disables your controller. The only way to get control back is by switching ports. This is Kojima at his best IMO. The End is quite good as well.

Hugare

Most creative gotta be The End

I was in awe with the whole thing.

Most memorable, to me, is fighting Red in Pokemon Silver.

Back then I was 6 years old or so and I knew shit about English. So finishing a simple game like Pokemon was hard, couldnt understand a thing.

Was trial and error all the way through. No internet to look where to go, nothing.

When I found Red at the top of the mountain, I lost all my shit.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
M̷̳̱̻̹͐̇̋̂̃̌̈O̷̡̡̭͉̖̖͔̪͚̾̀̌̔̅̂̈̔͊͜T̶̨̛̞̙̩̙̩̪̠̹͉̼͙̖̉̍̀H̶̢̠̗͚͓̲̣͉̦̩̪̜̘̒̈͛́͂̐͝͝ͅͅĘ̸̥̯̠̙̦̩͚̦̞̩̜̪̀̀̒͜Ŕ̶̡̙̯̹̝͓͉̫͙̣̀̋̈̾̋̎̔̕͘͜ ̷͔͈̥́̏͐͌̍̌B̶̛͓͔̩̪̤̮̰̘̥̯͇̯̂̀͐͗͒̐̕͜R̷̻̯̺͕͓̍̌̃̓̅̽̌̈́̈́̓̊̓̾͝͠A̵̢̗̺͉͔̗̓̌͒͑́̈͆̒̇̾̽̋͝Ḭ̶̢̡͎̹̩̼̩̝̖̠͎̼̫̿̑̓̈͘͝Ǹ̴̰͉̥̹͈̠̀͊̿̉̎̐̆̈́

koKsEOo.png

Kumomeme

FFXIV Alexander Soul of Creator (A12) time mechanic come to mind

other than that, FF6 Gogo fight is interesting

Fredrik

The teeth wheel head enemy in Project Eve is incredibly original in both design and attacks. Timestamped

Sepiroth will never be forgotten either. Not really original but the story combined with how they presented him through the cutscenes made him get etched to my brain.

And pretty much every boss in Super Metroid, but it might be because it’s my favorite game of all time and I can’t even count how many times I’ve played it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom