• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which CPU whould I get? Ryzen 7600 or i5 13400?

I'm finally getting a PC. I'm on a very limited budget so the best I can get is that. Which one should I get? I'll not be using those CPUs for gaming for now, that's why I'm getting them with an iGPU. I want to ditch my laptop as a primary PC.

I was convinced of getting the 13400 + 32GB DDR5 but then I read the LGA 1700 socket will be ditched for Intel's nextgen CPUs, while AM5 is new and will probably be here for at least another one or two generations... also apparently the 7600 does better than the i5?

So... am I right? Am I wrong?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm finally getting a PC. I'm on a very limited budget so the best I can get is that. Which one should I get? I'll not be using those CPUs for gaming for now, that's why I'm getting them with an iGPU. I want to ditch my laptop as a primary PC.

I was convinced of getting the 13400 + 32GB DDR5 but then I read the LGA 1700 socket will be ditched for Intel's nextgen CPUs, while AM5 is new and will probably be here for at least another one or two generations... also apparently the 7600 does better than the i5?

Uh. 7600. Longer lasting platform.

But also, the important part is the GPU really. as long as you don't get some crapchip like a celeron, 2200g or an i3 you'd be fine supporting most GPUs on the market with little to no bottleneck.

IIRC Topher Topher has a 4080 paired with a 5600x and he is pretty happy with it. Modern CPUs are cracked for the most part, you can't go wrong

Last edited:
Uh. 7600. Longer lasting platform.

But also, the important part is the GPU really. as long as you don't get some crapchip like a celeron, 2200g or an i3 you'd be fine supporting most GPUs on the market with little to no bottleneck.

IIRC Topher Topher has a 4080 paired with a 5600x and he is pretty happy with it. Modern CPUs are cracked for the most part, you can't go wrong
Thanks!

Go with AMD. Better power consumption, more performance, etc. If you get the 7600 now, when AMD release the new gen, you could upgrade to a 7800x3d for cheap from the used market place.

rm082e

Yeah, the 13400 is slightly faster, but not worth it in the long run. The 7600 is solid and you could trade up for a better CPU on that platform down the line.

Xellos

Between those two 7600 for sure, it's comparable to i5-13400 and has the better upgrade path.

The more interesting Intel CPU around the same price is the i7-12700k since it's an eight core processor (P-cores) vs the six cores in 7600/13400. You would have to buy a heatsink though, and like other Intel CPUs there's no upgrade path. I think I'd still go 7600 for the upgrade path.

Depends on how and how often you'd like to upgrade in the future. This will be an unpopular opinion, and I have a hard time justifying it, but I'd recommend Intel. My main has a 7800X3D and while it's a good CPU, I can't help the feeling that AMD stuff is still not as stable under Windows than Intel is - but this is just tales from my ass, I could be wrong on that. I got maybe 1 hiccup a month and I can't proof it's down to the CPU, so... my HTPC got a 13600KF and I love that one. Highly subjective. You can't go wrong with both.

Do you mean the 14400F and not 13400F, typo? Obviously the R5 7600, either way.

Upgrade path > slight perf delta.

Get the next gen *800X3D CPU with V-cache when it launches, saving money from when you buy the PC.

MikeM

I have a 7600x paired with a 7900xt. Fantastic pairing.

I’d go AM5 anyways for the potential longevity.

AMD is so bang for your buck right now, when it comes to CPUS. This is the first AMD CPU I have had since the first FX. I have been thoroughly satisfied with my purchased and don't even carry the buyers remorse that comes when you see a better processor come into the market. My 5950X is just that good and I would say AM4/AM5 are stellar choices to a long term solution, for your rig.

Bojji

7600, don't support dead platform.

I bought AM4 in 2019 with 3600, upgraded it to 5600x in 2020 and 5800x3d last year. That's how it should be (long living platforms).

RagnarokIV

Hope you’re excited for the PC. Are there any games you’re particularly looking to play?

I have a 13600k (upgraded from 12400) and 7900 XTX.

Same as others, I’d recommend Ryzen purely because 13 series is a dead end. 14 is barely an upgrade and power hungry.

PaintTinJr

It is a tougher question than it looks IMO.

Depending on what motherboard chipset and CAS latency of the memory you would pair them with, and factoring in the base clock of each CPU - which is far more important than boost clock on lesser motherboards - you could go either way.

Without checking specs I suspect the Intel can support lower CAS latency memory at a cheaper price, and probably has a better base clock, and can probably support a better Z chipset for overclocking at a lower price, and probably provide cheaper options for later 2nd hand CPU upgrades with a K suffix. ....but on balance the AMD chip is a regular symmetrical multicore CPU that should lend itself better (on average) to all possible use cases, and I'm currently eyeing up a move to a 7900X3D system upgrade soon myself :)

Leonidas

If you're on a very limited budget why not consider getting used AM4 or even a really good deal on 12th Gen. You could probably spend even less and still get your needs met.

12600K for instance is only around $160 and trades blows with the 7600X in gaming.

12600K is also easy to cool and probably more fun to overclock, if you were interested in getting into overclocking.

The AM5 longevity angle doesn't really amount to much IMO. You are considering 7600X which is only $200.

7800X3D is around 17% faster (at 1080p with an RTX 4090), but is closer to 2x the price. Not worth the extra money IMO. If you use a midrange GPU, which if you're on a budget you will be, you probably won't even notice the difference between the CPUs. If your monitor is 60 Hz, you again, won't notice the difference.

If you buy 7600X and upgrade, you'll end up spending even more because you'll lose money selling the CPU.

Zen5 may be as fast (or maybe even faster) than the 7800X3D, but after selling the 7600X and upgrading to a Zen5 CPU you'll be looking at spending close to $400 again, not worth it. For what amounts to maybe 25% better performance at best (if you end up getting a 4090 tier GPU).

What is the refresh rate of your monitor? What frame rate are you targetting?

I target 120 FPS. And my Raptor Lake CPU does quite well. 7800X3D would be a little faster in some cases, but its not fast enough to save me in some very CPU limited games where the frame-rate can drop to as low as 60 FPS in instances.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

So are you going with iGPU?

Buggy Loop

current-microcentwr-7800x3d-bundle-v0-km62hwr0vzyc1.jpeg

If you're in USA with microcenter, how do you not JUMP on this?

Top Bottom