• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No, they want you to subscribe to gamepass, regardless of platform and they also want to make gamepass the ONLY way to play HD games. They want to drive Sony off the market first and they won’t stop there. They’ll try to do the same with Nintendo.
I kind of doubt that honestly. Most companies seem to have a hands off approach to Nintendo since they innovate in ways that grow the industry and also bring younger players into the gaming ecosystem for everyone to sell to.

Riky

$MSFT
No, they want you to subscribe to gamepass, regardless of platform and they also want to make gamepass the ONLY way to play HD games. They want to drive Sony off the market first and they won’t stop there. They’ll try to do the same with Nintendo.

Gamepass has two tiers, the basic one doesn't even give you streaming or even online play. Millions of people still want consoles and Microsoft have to offer that choice, in fact they've just released TWO consoles.
I don't see how MS can stop people playing "HD" games at all, they will still be on Nintendo, PlayStation and even on PC with Steam, I think you're getting a bit carried away with this news.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How much does cod sell on PS? Like 20m? So say if sony lost all that they still end up at near 100m sold with PS4. It's a big loss but hardly a death blow. GTA or FIFA as exclusives would be an actual death blow.

I don't know if they've ever put out numbers, but COD's are routinely in the monthly/annual top selling PS game charts.

So, losing something like this on the PS will be a pretty big hit to the player base.

I don't know if they've ever put out numbers, but COD's are routinely in the monthly/annual top selling PS game charts.

So, losing something like this on the PS will be a pretty big hit to the player base.

Like I said, 20m is a big loss but no death blow to a brand as big as PS. Anyone thinking otherwise, will be surprised to see how PS5 still breaks records and sells faster than PS4. There's also many ways sony can counterattack. Especially with Japanese publishers. The acquisition war is only getting started.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I like all consoles, but I do wish I wasn't too lazy to go back and quote everyone from last year who used laugh emoji's whenever some of us claimed Xbox were in the midst of a big tide-turning comeback. Now I'm the one laughing lol.

To be fair they could horrifically mishandle all there newly acquired studio's, I am still waiting on Starfield to see how that turns out. While Microsoft own alot of studios now, we are still waiting on a single game from those acquisitions. God I hope Starfield is good but recent years have taught me temper my expectations.

Forza Horizon 5 was great and Halo Infinite was... alright, best of the 343 titles, however those have been in house for years. But it's a little early to be smug about this when so far all Microsoft have done is thrown money at things and are yet to deliver a product from it.

Last edited:
Like I said, 20m is a big loss but no death blow to a brand as big as PS. Anyone thinking otherwise, will be surprised to see how PS5 still breaks records and sells faster than PS4. There's also many ways sony can counterattack. Especially with Japanese publishers. The acquisition war is only getting started.
Sony is absolutely dominated by Nintendo in Japan. They don’t have any clout with Japanese publishers.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Gamepass has two tiers, the basic one doesn't even give you streaming or even online play. Millions of people still want consoles and Microsoft have to offer that choice, in fact they've just released TWO consoles.
I don't see how MS can stop people playing "HD" games at all, they will still be on Nintendo, PlayStation and even on PC with Steam, I think you're getting a bit carried away with this news.

kinda now shows the power Microsoft has with having a cheaper next gen console. with these huge buy outs more and more people will want to play these games going forward and having an option on next gen console in terms of pricing will help a lot

SafeOrAlone

Banned
To be fair they could horrifically mishandle all there newly acquired studio's, I am still waiting on Starfield to see how that turns out. While Microsoft own alot of studios now, we are still waiting on a single game from those acquisitions. God I hope Starfield is good but recent years have taught me temper my expectations.

Forza Horizon 5 was great and Halo Infinite was... alright, best of the 343 titles, however those have been in house for years. But it's a little early to be smug about this when so far all Microsoft have done is thrown money at things and are yet to deliver a product from it.
They could horrifically mishandle all the newly acquired studios, but with how many of them there are, I really doubt that. I think it's pretty clear at this point that Microsoft isn't to be seen as inadequate or incapable of competing with Sony. I don't think that was clear to everyone last year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How much does cod sell on PS? Like 20m? So say if sony lost all that they still end up at near 100m sold with PS4. It's a big loss but hardly a death blow. GTA or FIFA as exclusives would be an actual death blow.
COD sells around 20 million copies per year. Safe to say PS systems are probably 10M of it (maybe even more).

Add up all the copies of COD since PS4 system launched, and combined with PS5 lately and all the gamers who were still buying COD on PS3 way back and you'll get a crap load of systems active since 2013. And the number of copies sold will be around 10M per year = 80M.

And of those 80M or whatever copies, probably a good chunk of them are the same gamers buying it. You never know. Out of all the PS users out there, there might only be same 20M users who have bought 4 copies each the past 8 years.

For Xbox math, I;ve done my share. Since 2013, I've bought every one except that one in space. So for me as a single user I'd be at 7 games.

T-Cake

I wish they'd get the full power of Series X on XCloud and offer us a 4K stream. I can put up with the hardly noticeable lag but I really dislike the low bitrate 1080p stream. Otherwise, I could easily live without the local hardware. But there'll always be room for a PlayStation as long as they keep making the great exclusives.

Last edited:
Yeah, they do. Doesn't Squareenix , Capcom, and maybe Sega make most of their video game sales on playstation.

Yeah but most of the sales are outside of Japan. Even with the super weepy stuff like Persona 5 japan only accounted for like 10% of total sales.

Buut, square and capcom are chasing the western market, not japan, so it doesn't matter that they're jap publishers really.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Yeah but most of the sales are outside of Japan. Even with the super weepy stuff like Persona 5 japan only accounted for like 10% of total sales.

Square and Capcom are chasing the western market, not japan, so it doesn't matter that they're jap publishers really.
It helps simply because it is easier for Sony to acquire them than Microsoft since they are Japanese. I still find it weird how Sony is so hands off when combining the weeby stuff and playstation when they own crunchy roll and funimation and get most of the Japanese exclusives on their consoles.

Razvedka

Banned
Frankly I am now very dour on the future of the gaming industry. Before too long a handful of companies will effectively control everything, and I don't think Sony and Nintendo will keep existing long term as their own entities.

The future is looking like Microsoft and maybe Amazon, Google, or Apple (eventually, etc) will just own the majority of popular mainstream gaming content.

I don't understand how anybody can be excited about these sorts of acquisitions. It's no different than Disney just buying everything up and ruling Hollywood.

I hope stronger anti-trust laws manifest at some point and stop this, because it's not good for anyone.

As for PlayStation, what exactly are people expecting? They can't go around and just buy success.

Last edited:
Sony is absolutely dominated by Nintendo in Japan. They don’t have any clout with Japanese publishers.

they have no clout with square enix or capcom? or fromsoftware? or sega? what the fuck are you talking about? some of the biggest stuff from these pubs dont even release on nintendo. wheres elden ring? final fantasy or resident evil? do you think they need sony or nintendo more?

Last edited:
COD sells around 20 million copies per year. Safe to say PS systems are probably 10M of it (maybe even more).

Add up all the copies of COD since PS4 system launched, and combined with PS5 lately and all the gamers who were still buying COD on PS3 way back and you'll get a crap load of systems active since 2013. And the number of copies sold will be around 10M per year = 80M.

And of those 80M or whatever copies, probably a good chunk of them are the same gamers buying it. You never know. Out of all the PS users out there, there might only be same 20M users who have bought 4 copies each the past 8 years.

For Xbox math, I;ve done my share. Since 2013, I've bought every one except that one in space. So for me as a single user I'd be at 7 games.

are you sure about that? 20m total accross all platforms seems pretty low for call of duty. i thought it did 20m on PlayStation alone and like closer to 50m with all platforms. looks like i was way off if what your saying is true.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
And Sony games will follow suit
giphy.gif

Neff

This may sound crazy, but imo Sony may need to go back to their roots. The one advantage Sony and Nintendo still has is Japanese games, niche or quirky stuff do not sell well on XBOX. It’s really working for Nintendo and gives them an identity and advantage. Maybe it will work for Sony as well.

It doesn't sound crazy at all. MS is aggressively pursuing a monopoly on mainstream audiences, and honestly Sony's best hope of battling that is playing the nostalgia card like Nintendo does.

people always said the PS brand was a giant. well we are about to find out for ourselves. im super intrigued to see how this effects things and how sony will go about it. i have the feeling that this is only the beginning. theres still a bunch of publishers left that will be owned by somebody by the end of the gen. im sure sony will nab a few too. its not about if it makes sense anymore. its about ensuring your brand survives into the future. surely sony will take this a little personal as microsoft are literally taking away customers and revenue from them. i would be shocked if they sat back and didnt respond in a big way.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
are you sure about that? 20m total accross all platforms seems pretty low for call of duty. i thought it did 20m on PlayStation alone and like closer to 50m with all platforms. looks like i was way off if what your saying is true.
It peaked recently at 30M for MW 2019 which I didn't know about. But safe to say Cold War and Vanguard arent going to hit MW 2019's numbers.

I thought the series was straddling the 20M mark like during WWII and those games around that era. The series actually had it's most consistently high sales (about 30M) during the tail end of the 360/PS3 period.

Last edited:

Dlacy13g

Ideally, they want you to do both subscribe and by a system in their ecosystem BUT they are happy to have you in gamepass only on PC in the first is not an option.

engstra

Well now that the news have been given a few day to settle in it's important to remember that while this acquisition might have a huge impact on the current landscape, we won't notice the effects until quite a few years later.
Xbox has been sorely lacking exclusives when compared to Playstation. With buying Bethesda and Activision they have definitely evened the playing field again. We have yet to see any of the games they are producing and I would say both publishers have a lot to prove. Neither have released anything notable in quite a long time.
I hope this will force Playstation to evolve and diversify their catalog, bringing back the feel of the PS3 era. I'm excited to see them doubling down on VR. Making more Marvel and Star Wars games not so much.
I have always preferred the Playstation console and games. This is the first generation where I will probably be purchasing an Xbox a few years down the line when we start to see the fruit of their acquisitions and a diverse library of first party games available on gamepass. I really want to play Rare Replay and hopefully the new Indiana Jones game will be good.
In the meantime I'm very interested to see what direction Sony takes. They have proven over the years that their first party content is some of the best that's out there and that doesn't show any sign of stopping.

I would buy the rights to the Metal Gear series, assign guerilla or santa monica to make a great single player game (young snake infiltrating outer haven on his first mission), and bring in a MASSIVE Multiplayer online component.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony just needs to keep doing what they're doing? Microsoft struck such a huge deal partly as a reaction to Sony's success since

Nintendo found success because they didn't want to compete head on with Sony and Microsoft.

Now that Microsoft is like 5x larger than 2010 era Sony+MS, I think Sony needs to consider the same.

Lognor

Banned
I would buy the rights to the Metal Gear series, assign guerilla or santa monica to make a great single player game (young snake infiltrating outer haven on his first mission), and bring in a MASSIVE Multiplayer online component.
Metal Gear isn't that big. Sony isn't lacking in single player games. But MS is destroying them with online multiplayer games. That's what Sony needs. And Metal Gear is not going to attract that casual audience that plays COD, Halo, etc.

Metal Gear isn't that big. Sony isn't lacking in single player games. But MS is destroying them with online multiplayer games. That's what Sony needs. And Metal Gear is not going to attract that casual audience that plays COD, Halo, etc.

Metal Gear has name recognition, they could craft a great multiplayer Metal Gear, complete with nukes, mecha, ect. They have to start somewhere. With Metal Gear’s name recognition, i say it would be a good start. It would likely also have a great AAA campaign.

TheTony316

They don't have any clout with Square, Capcom, From Software, Sega/Atlus or Bandai? Many big japanese games don't even release on Switch. If you look at the domestic charts it's mostly the same Nintendo evergreens, Momotaro and fishing games. Here and there you get a couple of new third party releases sprinkled in for a few weeks but that's about it.

Lognor

Banned
Metal Gear has name recognition, they could craft a great multiplayer Metal Gear, complete with nukes, mecha, ect. They have to start somewhere. With Metal Gear’s name recognition, i say it would be a good start. It would likely also have a great AAA campaign.
But they already released that game - it was called Metal Gear Online. Seems not many people remember that. Probably because most casual gamers don't care about MGS. And giant robots? No way. Normies don't like that shit. That's way too anime. Might appeal weeboos or the Japanese audience, but not to the rest of the world.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It's just a matter of time now that studios like FROM, Bungie will be under Sony's first party now

If Sony doesn't go for the safe but expensive response which is Take2, then they will instead try to buy up studios with talent and pedigree and especially with a loyal fanbase. Locking them down into the Playstation ecosystem is another way to fight these big moves by Microsoft.

FromSoftware, Bungie, maybe even something like CD Projekt should be Sony's targets now.

Bungie would be the most logical step. Have them create a new surefire MP hit. TBH this could lead to more greatness

Last edited:

TheTony316

I hope MGS stays singleplayer and stops with the open world stuff. A proper Killzone or Socom reboot would be a better fit to fill the COD void, imo.

skit_data

It's just a matter of time now that studios like FROM, Bungie will be under Sony's first party now

If Sony doesn't go for the safe but expensive response which is Take2, then they will instead try to buy up studios with talent and pedigree and especially with a loyal fanbase. Locking them down into the Playstation ecosystem is another way to fight these big moves by Microsoft.

FromSoftware, Bungie, maybe even something like CD Projekt should be Sony's targets now.

Bungie would be the most logical step. Have them create a new surefire MP hit. TBH this could lead to more greatness
I’m not entirely sure Sony would be able to get From Software. Their parent company is Kadokawa and they are associated with anime. If I remember correctly Sony already faced problems in acquiring Crunchyroll because authorities saw it as s risk of them establishing a monopoly.

Might remember wrong though and I guess there’s always a chance of Kadokawa selling only From Software to Sony.

vpance

I'd take an MGS FPS. But Kojima would need to be on board.

But they already released that game - it was called Metal Gear Online. Seems not many people remember that. Probably because most casual gamers don't care about MGS. And giant robots? No way. Normies don't like that shit. That's way too anime. Might appeal weeboos or the Japanese audience, but not to the rest of the world.

Giant robots? How
well did Titanfall do? Thats exactly why i think Sony should get the liscence and give it to Guerilla, Santa Monica, or even Naughty Dog. I am saying ressurect Metal Gear in a modern way, not keep it the same to appeal to the old audience and weebs.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
People are dumb and these posts are ridiculous.

Just because Activation was looking to be purchased doesn't mean every gaming company is suddenly on sale.

These companies are not going to get bought up unless they want to sell. Activision was LOOKNG for a buyer.

Nobody is going to waste their time trying to pull some hostile takeover like Vivendi did with Ubisoft for those years and failed.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Not that I think this is going to happen, but Naraka Bladepoint is smoking Halo Infinite on Steam in terms of popularity.

Multiplayer gamers don't really care about IP. If a game has depth, and is fun, multiplayer gamers show up.

Airbus Jr

Banned
GT7 will be providing multiplayer racing game for a long time

Activision still releasing game for PS5 at least until 2023

Destiny 2 content...and cod game still coming for the next two years( if Xbox trully blocked upcoming acti game for playstation after 2023)

We still got ubisoft ghost recon game and EAs batlefield game providing mp options

Fortine and some others MMO game still going

But yes sony need to have their own fps game like it used to be

Last edited:

Amiga

I actually wish MS also buy out EA and Ubisoft. It will force Sony to invest more. they have a tendency to depend on 3rd parties that should be removed. Sony is producing at least 2 high quality open world games annually now. they can do the same for FPS.
Most MP today is F2P. CoD/BF has been losing to this for years now. F2P is becoming the expectation for casual consumers. most new gaming kids don't even touch CoD.

Lognor

Banned
Giant robots? How
well did Titanfall do? Thats exactly why i think Sony should get the liscence and give it to Guerilla, Santa Monica, or even Naughty Dog. I am saying ressurect Metal Gear in a modern way, not keep it the same to appeal to the old audience and

Titanfall didn't do well. The first game was boosted due to the exclusivity around it. The second game, although it was a very good game, did not do well. Why? Giant robots. People don't like them

Top Bottom