• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When News is Slow So You Make Clickbait Articles To Fill Your Quota

Punished Miku

Gold Member
As someone who owns a website and runs content management and comes up or suggests headlines i hate to tell you this but running a website is same as running a company or any sort of business. And any business or company their main goal is to generate income..

Thanks to people like you who get easily outraged at the obvious, we make money from folks like you. It is smart, and it works, because it prompts reactions like these on random game forums and other social media platforms which in return gives traffic which is $$$ Please continue.

As far as shitty journalism goes I think a better argument would be to look at sites like Kotaku and Polygon where video games are no longer the main topic but rather stupid politics that have nothing to do with gaming. Now THAT'S rock bottom.
You could copy and paste what you said though and it applies the same to Kotaku and Polygon.

Bartski

Gold Member
This is exactly the kind of headline that gets you a top story on news blog aggregate sites like N4G, right after contrarian low score reviews of well-received titles. Which is why I never go there anymore.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
As someone who owns a website and runs content management and comes up or suggests headlines i hate to tell you this but running a website is same as running a company or any sort of business. And any business or company their main goal is to generate income..

Thanks to people like you who get easily outraged at the obvious, we make money from folks like you. It is smart, and it works, because it prompts reactions like these on random game forums and other social media platforms which in return gives traffic which is $$$ Please continue

Way to normalize shitty practices
bJm4hh0.jpg

Jfc

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Lunarorbit

Thanks for telling me something that I already know. Just because editors exist doesn't mean the headline can't be clickbaity or a bit exaggerated. Quick buck? It's not as easy as you think it is to make money off strictly traffic ad revenue.

Ever since the growth of youtube and other social media means, there are many other ways to monetize your content whether it be through guest posts, bought backlinks, or simple paid shout outs on Instagram and so on. To be able to do such things you need to have a vast audience, no one will want to pay you a dime if you are a nobody.

To get audience you need to attract the consumers either with an interesting headline or some sort of a clickbait. It's also a very very competitive world out there, who has the better headlines on same news topic or a opinion piece, etc and so on. I don't think you realize how hard this work truly is behind the scenes.

Also, what makes you think I am mad? I am sitting here laughing my ass off at how delusional you are. You are arguing with someone who has been in this business for almost a decade. I find it amusing.
You don't have to attract customers with a clickbait or interesting title.... have actual decent or creative articles. Sites don't have to be leading the charge to review everything out the gate if money is an issue. Having takes on old games that is fun or thought provoking will generate clicks.

Editors should really collaborate with authors to find titles as well. The amount of times I've seen authors complain in comment sections or on podcasts that titles had nothing to do with their article informed me there is a big problem with the way this is handled.

Mr Hyde

Elder Legend Elder Legend is the reason why video games journalism is looked down upon. He claims to represent the industry, yet he brags about being a fucking scalper.

He defends sensational clickbait headlines instead of writing quality content. Not only that, he insults his readers and fellow peers, calling them stupid for not realizing that outrage culture is a money making masterplan. The fact that you can be this unprofessional and still have your job left is baffling.

The epitome of a fucking snake, who drags down the industry for his own egotistical reasons and making it look bad, just so he can make a quick buck and brag on forums how fucking connected he is. I guess he have to compensate for the fact that he's a nobody no one gives two fucks about.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Elder Legend Elder Legend is the reason why video games journalism is looked down upon. He claims to represent the industry, yet he brags about being a fucking scalper.

He defends sensational clickbait headlines instead of writing quality content. Not only that, he insults his readers and fellow peers, calling them stupid for not realizing that outrage culture is a money making masterplan. The fact that you can be this unprofessional and still have your job left is baffling.

The epitome of a fucking snake, who drags down the industry for his own egotistical reasons and making it look bad, just so he can make a quick buck and brag on forums how fucking connected he is. I guess he have to compensate for the fact that he's a nobody no one gives two fucks about.

Agreed.

Owning up to knowing how fundamentally rotten your practices are is one. Indulging in said practices while omitting any self awareness regarding consequences on many levels AND blaming/insulting the ones speaking out about it when recognizing and validating said concerns is quite another thing entirely...

In the end this example speaks more of our current social climate to such a degree one has no problems accepting and reveling in this process even when the rotten side of this framework is exposed. The eagerness to normalize these practices speaks volumes. This is the norm.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The bigger problem is when Editors *push* writers to be as clickbaity and sensational as they can with their title. I can promise you it happens.

Well we live in a world where transferring sincerely intentioned output is secondary to money to be gained from said output. Hence these types of instances. It's par for the course, really.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well we live in a world where transferring sincerely intentioned output is secondary to money to be gained from said output. Hence these types of instances. It's par for the course, really.

On topic, Elder Legend Elder Legend post is just a mere coincidental affirmation regarding a trend, or rather a modus operandi that most of us have been aware of for many, many moons.

(Media in general)

It's the very reason most of us have a subconscious way of approaching news/pre/review articles. In our hearts we know that what's fed to us isn't created with our interests as a primary source. Throughout the time we've learned to read between the lines and just accept this is just the way things are. It's quite sad if you stop and think about it..

Last edited:
On topic, Elder Legend Elder Legend post is just a mere coincidental affirmation regarding a trend, or rather a modus operandi that most of us have been aware of for many, many moons.

(Media in general)

It's the very reason most of us have a subconscious way of approaching news/pre/review articles. In our hearts we know that what's fed to us isn't created with our interests as a primary source. Throughout the time we've learned to read between the lines and just accept this is just the way things are. It's quite sad if you stop and think about it..
Thank you for saying it how it is. Business and companies are for the most part only interested in your money and if there is an easier way to get it, they will apply certain marketing tactics and utilize to the best of their abilities. Do some overdo it than others and end up pissing people off? Sure. Do others do not do it enough and wonder why the never get any attention? Sure. Are there companies/websites anywhere that are in the middle of the pack and do it just enough to not piss of their consumer base, while also attract new readers/watchers and have a good balance of both? Yes.

TLDR - Do not let this impact you emotional (you as in people, not specifically 22:22. - Roll with the punches, read what you want too read and support who you want to support. You live in a free world. This exists in every type of business. I also have a real estate license (currently not practicing, but used too) and let me tell you there is some insane bullshit that people get away with that can land them in jail if they are ever caught. Every industry has its sharks.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thank you for saying it how it is. Business and companies are for the most part only interested in your money and if there is an easier way to get it, they will apply certain marketing tactics and utilize to the best of their abilities. Do some overdo it than others and end up pissing people off? Sure. Do others do not do it enough and wonder why the never get any attention? Sure. Are there companies/websites anywhere that are in the middle of the pack and do it just enough to not piss of their consumer base, while also attract new readers/watchers and have a good balance of both? Yes.

TLDR - Do not let this impact you emotional (you as in people, not specifically 22:22. - Roll with the punches, read what you want too read and support who you want to support. You live in a free world. This exists in every type of business. I also have a real estate license (currently not practicing, but used too) and let me tell you there is some insane bullshit that people get away with that can land them in jail if they are ever caught. Every industry has its sharks.

Hey man, nothing personal. As they say; hate the game not the player. The hate you're getting here stems from your initial post that while objectively truthfull in context came across as such that you can't fault folks to react the way they did, right? Acknowledging the game is one thing, being a prick about is, again, something else. Your initial response gave away a certain awareness regarding this subject so why dont just acknowledge OP's experience? Seems you know that's the way things are and if you want income you'd have to pursue that road because that generates income. Fair enough. Hating the players because the game is fundamentally fucked wasn't necessary.

Hey man, nothing personal. As they say; hate the game not the player. The hate you're getting here stems from your initial post that while objectively truthfull in context came across as such that you can't fault folks to react the way they did, right? Acknowledging the game is one thing, being a prick about is, again, something else. Your initial response gave away a certain awareness regarding this subject so why dont just acknowledge OP's experience? Seems you know that's the way things are and if you want income you'd have to pursue that road because that generates income. Fair enough. Hating the players because the game is fundamentally fucked wasn't necessary.
I get what your saying and you bring a fair point. The issue i feel is that when someone writes or responds in a text message, you can't really tell the tone of the person is speaking in. One person may read it is as an attack, while other just assumes how someone simply speaks. My intention was to explain how things really are and that getting emotional about such headlines is the perfect example on why OP reacted the way he did and I just simply called that out.

I wasn't trying to be mean or disrespectful and if it came off that way I am sorry. But let me tell you 1 thing my man, in any kind of a business if you want to be successful you have to learn how to be not as emotionally impacted.

What do I mean by that? Have you noticed that alot high end and successful CEOs have traits of a psychopath? You know why that is?

Because if a CEO gets too emotional about anything that's being said or done in their organization then they will fall apart and never make any money.

Here is a quote from an article for a CEO study if you are curious on what I am talking about

"The organizational psychopath

They prefer to work at the very highest levels of their organizations, allowing them to control the greatest number of people.
Psychopaths who are political leaders, managers, and CEOs fall into this category."

When I first started this business I wasn't doing very good. I worried too much about not hurting people and making sure that everyone is satisfied with me and how I portray myself. You know where that led me? Absolutely nowhere.

However, that all changed when I stopped caring about what people think of me or what I say. My end goal was to get a high quality content production team going that is happy to work in a none toxic and fun environment and thats exactly what we have at our place. I love micro management and working with other people. However, I am a lot more stricter than I used to be and I tell people how it is. If there is a consistent issue of putting out quality or being on time for deadlines then they either will be let go or we will try to work together to make things work as a team. Its just business.

When I speak, I can come off as as an arrogant prick but I am sorry I am not here to change for anyone or anything. You can either take it or leave it, because it works for me and my business. Thanks.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I get what your saying and you bring a fair point. The issue i feel is that when someone writes or responds in a text message, you can't really tell the tone of the person is speaking in. One person may read it is as an attack, while other just assumes how someone simply speaks. My intention was to explain how things really are and that getting emotional about such headlines is the perfect example on why OP reacted the way he did and I just simply called that out.

I wasn't trying to be mean or disrespectful and if it came off that way I am sorry. But let me tell you 1 thing my man, in any kind of a business if you want to be successful you have to learn how to be not as emotionally impacted.

What do I mean by that? Have you noticed that alot high end and successful CEOs have traits of a psychopath? You know why that is?

Because if a CEO gets too emotional about anything that's being said or done in their organization then they will fall apart and never make any money.

Here is a quote from an article for a CEO study if you are curious on what I am talking about

"The organizational psychopath

They prefer to work at the very highest levels of their organizations, allowing them to control the greatest number of people.
Psychopaths who are political leaders, managers, and CEOs fall into this category."

When I first started this business I wasn't doing very good. I worried too much about not hurting people and making sure that everyone is satisfied with me and how I portray myself. You know where that led me? Absolutely nowhere.

However, that all changed when I stopped caring about what people think of me or what I say. My end goal was to get a high quality content production team going that is happy to work in a none toxic and fun environment and thats exactly what we have at our place. I love micro management and working with other people. However, I am a lot more stricter than I used to be and I tell people how it is. If there is a consistent issue of putting out quality or being on time for deadlines then they either will be let go or we will try to work together to make things work as a team. Its just business.

When I speak, I can come off as as an arrogant prick but I am sorry I am not here to change for anyone or anything. You can either take it or leave it, because it works for me and my business. Thanks.

Thanks for replying sincerely.

I'm aware of applying the personality traits you mentioned above to survive In many senses, in those instances wherein you're almost forced to take on such a role i understand. I also appreciate your thoughts regarding the flaws that are inherent with text based communication. It's quite restrained isn't it.. My point lies more with the established construct that makes the not only possible but necessary. Just general moaning if you will...

Last edited:

Unk Adams

Banned
It's sad what happened to so-called videogame "journalism". I miss the good old days of EGM, Gamepro, etc. I'm actually happy those mags went out of print when they did because I can only imagine how badly the new generation of typists would have tarnished their legacy with this type of nonsense.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's sad what happened to so-called videogame "journalism". I miss the good old days of EGM, Gamepro, etc. I'm actually happy those mags went out of print when they did because I can only imagine how badly the new generation of typists would have tarnished their legacy with this type of nonsense.
Some mags were better than others, but I agree as a whole. For about $6 you get a mag that has a bunch on content. Simply a slew of previews, reviews, tips and tricks section, Japanese import section, and many had a page or two of rumours (which who knows how legit or BS they are).

But as a whole, it seemed like honest kind of editorial. No bait sections, no baity thread titles, no letters to the editor sections where the editors prints a back and forth conversation of pissy content etc... There were so many mags and some were successful and some failed, but it just seemed so much more professional the way games were covered.

Now, you got a million people on the net trying to make money off clicks, it's morphed into a battle of viewership with whatever is needed to draw in traffic. And if that means really shitty articles or baity thread titles, it's the wild west of so called journalism.

Gamers are just tired of it.

No wonder a lot of gamers just follow Youtubers and watch a guy for 20 minutes plays a game giving his opinion on whether something is good or bad. And thats the thing about YT video titles. They dont seem as baity. Not sure why. But for text articles you can all kinds of shit. For Youtubers, their thread title can simply be "Hands-on Call of Duty Cold War" or "Why Xbox has failed". You dont get weird titles like "Guess which COD game I'm playing now?" or "Will last place Xbox ever get out of the dumps?

Last edited:
Some mags were better than others, but I agree as a whole. For about $6 you get a mag that has a bunch on content. Simply a slew of previews, reviews, tips and tricks section, Japanese import section, and many had a page or two of rumours (which who knows how legit or BS they are).

But as a whole, it seemed like honest kind of editorial. No bait sections, no baity thread titles, no letters to the editor sections where the editors prints a back and forth conversation of pissy content etc... There were so many mags and some were successful and some failed, but it just seemed so much more professional the way games were covered.

Now, you got a million people on the net trying to make money off clicks, it's morphed into a battle of viewership with whatever is needed to draw in traffic. And if that means really shitty articles or baity thread titles, it's the wild west of so called journalism.

Gamers are just tired of it.

No wonder a lot of gamers just follow Youtubers and watch a guy for 20 minutes plays a game giving his opinion on whether something is good or bad. And thats the thing about YT video titles. They dont seem as baity. Not sure why. But for text articles you can all kinds of shit. For Youtubers, their thread title can simply be "Hands-on Call of Duty Cold War" or "Why Xbox has failed". You dont get weird titles like "Guess which COD game I'm playing now?" or "Will last place Xbox ever get out of the dumps?
Oh trust me. There are plenty of ways to make YouTube titles very click baity.

jakinov

The problem is that op-eds are now being peddled as "news". Much of what is written is more subtle and less obvious, using weasel words and styles of writing that are intended to absolve the writer of any responsibility. It's as easy as this:

Many believe that Xbox is beating Sony in the next generation console battle. ....Define "believe" and "beating". In this case, the writer bears no responsibility for peddling garbage disguised as news.
A lot of sites will tag whether something is news or not though. I think the bigger problem is that people don't understand that that a lot of these articles are just opinions/thought

Top Bottom