• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most disappointing sequel?

Agree with all of this except LOU2, I liked 'most' of the story, pacing was bad but can be forgiven given the high production quality & gameplay.
No, it really cant though. It doesnt matter how good the gameplay is if it takes hours of forced walking and talking to make it to the short actual gameplay moments.

I have no idea how anyone manages a second playthrough.

LOU1 is one of my favorite games of all time, but the 2nd is definitely the most disappointing sequel of all time for me. Beautiful as all hell with good combat, but thats it.

WCW Nitro in PSOne. Not sure if it was a direct sequel, but to my knowledge it was from the same company and the follow up to WCW vs the World. I even got it on day one. Arguably the worst game I’ve ever played and I played a lot of bad games in my life. It was so bad, it got up early the next morning and sold it to a local video game shop. The owner was shocked that I was selling it, but I told him it’s all yours and I was so disappointed in it. I have never did that in my life.

Max_Po

Banned
Definitely Devil May Cry 2....

I was 18 when DMC came out... I went to game boards and talked about people doing combos...sweet times...

then DMC2 came out... and I was like... wtf is this shit...

Last edited:
Mercenaries 2. It was the bones of Mercenaries and just didn't have the shine. Makes me so sad bc I feel like they could've an amazing Mercenaries with today's technology.

RCU005

To me is Gravity Rush 2.
While the game was much bigger, it had boring quests that restricted powers, stupid stealth that had nothing to do in the game, and the story went another way I hoped it did with the ending of the first one.

I really wish the do a third because the world and the characters are amazing.

bender

What time is it?
To me is Gravity Rush 2.
While the game was much bigger, it had boring quests that restricted powers, stupid stealth that had nothing to do in the game, and the story went another way I hoped it did with the ending of the first one.

wtf.gif

WCW Nitro in PSOne. Not sure if it was a direct sequel, but to my knowledge it was from the same company and the follow up to WCW vs the World. I even got it on day one. Arguably the worst game I’ve ever played and I played a lot of bad games in my life. It was so bad, it got up early the next morning and sold it to a local video game shop. The owner was shocked that I was selling it, but I told him it’s all yours and I was so disappointed in it. I have never did that in my life.
nah Nitro was a new game. Thunder was its sequel. And they are both bad.

The sequel to WCW vs. the World is....WCW vs. NWO world tour on N64 is its sequel. and that games great. way better than the PS1 game

Last edited:

Susurrus

Jak II
I loved the first game. Played it on PS4, where I got the platinum trophy. Then went into the second game. It's a completely different game, clunky controls, it's obvious they took the first game's engine and tried modifying it to a shooter. It just doesn't work. Got about half way through and gave up trying to enjoy it. I never started Jak 3 as a result. I did play Daxter on my PSP a long time ago and finished it, though.

Banjo Kazooie: N&B
WTF is this shit, enough said.

Last edited:
To me is Gravity Rush 2.

You ain't wrong about those stealth sections

Halo Infinite (campaign)- this was supposed to be Series X big showcase/launch title. It was 343's chance to redeem themselves with a new open world, on a new engine, and on a 12 tf rdna2 console. Instead we got a game with ps4 quality graphics in an open world less fleshed out than Phantom Pain with the only activity killing waves of enemies in the same type of repetitive combat encounter. The story was barebones, no set pieces, none of the getting to travel to amazing environments ...ugh..such a bummer

Comandr

Lords of Shadow 2, Chrono Cross, Breath of Fire 5. Currently playing through BOF4 and jesus CHRIST what a plummeting step down. The awful art direction, ho hum story, and hilariously terrible SOL system. Know what makes a game fun? Being forced to replay entire portions of a game over and over again until you finally get passed a given part until you have to do it all again later! Your reward at the end? The satisfaction of throwing the disc into the fires of mount doom, where its evil can never darken the hearts of man again.

angry the emperors new groove GIF

Batman Arkham City: Open world design sucks dick, Asylums linear design is superior.

Dead Space 3: went with Action movie shooty-shooty-bang-bang horseshit instead of tried and true survival horror of the previous 2.
I will say I prefer Arkham Asylum to City. But ur taking crazy pills if u don't think City is no less than GREAT. If Asylum is a 10/10, City is a 9/10

Inspector Q

The first that came to mind was Vandal Hearts 2. I freaking loved the first one so was of course looking forward to the sequel. I ended up despising it, though. They tried a new take on the battle system where both you and the enemy team would move at the same time utilizing a split screen view:

vandal-hearts-2-12.png

Was not a fan of how the split screen looked or played. Also didn't like how wearing an armor set changed the appearance of the character. So you would have multiple party members looking identical to each other.

So yeah, that game was pretty disappointing to me. Never even finished it.

Rippa

I will say I prefer Arkham Asylum to City. But ur taking crazy pills if u don't think City is no less than GREAT. If Asylum is a 10/10, City is a 9/10
No crazy pills, I enjoyed my stay with city and knight. I just prefer linear designed games in general as it helps to tell a more cohesive story. It was easy to get sidetracked from the main story in City and Knight because of all the shit you can do in it. They were both good sequels.

In my opinion though, City was a disappointment to me for its open world design.

BreakOut

I don’t think this forum can support enough text for people to list disappointing sequels. I’ll just say it happens way to much.

Hitman Absolution, hands down.

God of War 2018 because they replaced the chaotic evil lunatic driven by wrath with some old fart who has responsibilities and some shit. Otherwise great game.

nah Nitro was a new game. Thunder was its sequel. And they are both bad.

The sequel to WCW vs. the World is....WCW vs. NWO world tour on N64 is its sequel. and that games great. way better than the PS1 game
Yep, I found that out the hard way. 😂Thunder was awful as well. When I bought it I was under the impression that it was similar or a spin-off to WCW vs the World. Big mistake.

BodhiHogie

Neo Member
Mirror’s Edge 2 was a big disappointment. The original is one of my top ten all time. When the open world sequel was announced I was very concerned, and rightfully so as it turned out.
The sequel didn’t have the carefully crafted, beautifully lit and scored levels of the first.
There was no reason for creative movement and the city looked blurry on console and the layout was nonsensical. This game was made back when everything had to be open world. The only developers that should be allowed to do open world are Bethesda, Rockstar, and now Fromsoft.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Titanfall 2.

I didnt play SP, which everyone said is great. So I'm going just by MP. It was shit. On the surface it should be better as it looked better and was more polished. But the maps were terrible, mechs underpowered, xray vision perk and the maps were so open it lead to lots of sniping. TF 1 MP was much more fun.

And my negative opinion of MP doesnt even include the articles written the past year about MP being hacked and Respawn not doing anything about it.

Top Bottom