• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the most you have raged over a game? Which Game and did you break anything etc

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Lemmings on the phillips CDI
Fuck phillips
Fuck lemmings
Fuck my friend that told me how i had to beat that level.

I'm the "quit and delete the game" type of rager.

I have done that with Final Fantasy 9, right at the very end of the game actually. I didn't have ribbons (Sold them without knowing what they did, it was my first FF game), so the final boss was quite literally impossible, for me, so I had to use cheats to beat it, quite pissed off... After I did, I deleted the game. Didn't even see the conclusion of the game.

In retrospect I don't blame the game, it was my fault.

I don’t have money to afford controllers and stuff, so I'm not that type of rager.

supernova8

Banned
Can't believe nobody mentioned FIFA.

Fuuucking hell back in the day I used to throw an absolute sulk for the entire day if I got wrecked by someone... Also put a crack in the wall with my controller when I got destroyed 5-0 during the last game of a session where I was on the brink of being promoted to the next online league up.

There's something fundamentally different about getting beat by a human player versus the AI. When it's the AI, you come up with all sorts of excuses like "Oh yeah the AI is just rigged anyway so whatever" or "I've won the last few games so the AI won't let me win this one no matter what I do... nevermind".

With human opponents, however, there is no escape from the undeniable FACT that you're just not good enough to beat them.

Also one of the reasons why I have never touched Ultimate Team because I want to win and lose fair and square.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Smashed a heavy ceramic plate into a thousand pieces while playing Rocket League. Also kicked the hard base of a couch really hard and sprained my foot playing Rocket League.

I also ripped a beer can clean in half trying to get Ornstein & Smough down.

Last edited:

havoc00

There's something fundamentally different about getting beat by a human player versus the AI. When it's the AI, you come up with all sorts of excuses like "Oh yeah the AI is just rigged anyway so whatever" or "I've won the last few games so the AI won't let me win this one... nevermind".

With human opponents, however, there is no escape from the undeniable FACT that you're just not good enough to beat them.
100% which is why I rage in Madden, NHL and Cod so much lol

Puskas

I used to rage so bad over COD2. I’ve broken atleast 2 computer mice as well keyboards.

NFS Underground 1 made me put a small dent in my wall and break a PS2 controller. Still one of my favourite NFS games though.

Luckily I never got to experience playing soccer games online. That would’ve been something else.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
In recent years? That’s easy … FF16.. it’s just a mockery of the series in every single way. 😡😡

Last edited:
During my teens I'd sometimes hit the wall with my fist, or break a keyboard, mouse, gamepad. Also some game CD's that I'd throw against the wall. I can't think of the specific games, except for being disconnected during an online Starcraft match.

Rockondevil

X-Men Origina: Wolverine.

Yeah, weird game to rage over.

If anyone’s played it, it was during the freefall/skydive level. Just kept getting wrecked by debris etc.

Essentially I got mad and threw my controller and it went right through my glass entertainment and I spent several hours picking up glass.

-Zelda-

Banned
Soulsbornesekironeiohring games. For years I have tried and for years I have failed. They have everything I like about a game... until I walk into a room and get one shot by something that does not flinch went hit, or kills me via the enviroment. I am not a mature or smart gamer, so no matter how much I enjoyed the visuals, lore, atmosphere and story telling style, the gameplay will never click for me. Never broke anything, but the games did break me.

Last edited:

dcx4610

The most recent ones I can remember are Blasphemous, Valaris and Cuphead.

The 2nd to last boss on Blasphemous wrecked me for some reason. It took me nearly 2 straight hours. With Valaris, it was just tough throughout and the last boss you really had to play perfectly and learn the pattern. Same goes for Cuphead.

I think that’s my gaming pet peeve as an adult. I can’t stand memorizing exact patterns and if you screw up, you die. I prefer skill and multiple ways to win over exact patterns.

On those I was screaming “THIS IS NOT FUN!!!” and made me question why I was wasting my time. Even after finally beating all 3, it wasn’t satisfying. It just felt like a chore.

Last edited:

Mitsurux

The only time I've ever really "acted out" in rage while playing a game was:
Beyond the Beyond (PS1)
Well into the game you end up at a tower that has you going in and out of doors to change the day night cycle (which raises and lowers specific blocks), eventually you get to a floor in the tower where the path is blocked and you need an item to progress (a Hammer), I did not have this item, so i went back down the through the tower searching for the item i missed, game has a super high random encounter rate, the enemies in this tower can pack a punch (you also have a player character who is cursed and will not always attack or get hurt after attack). spend at least two days going up and down the tower with no luck, by this time having to deal with the random encounters, stupid puzzle mechanic and cursed character were really pushing my buttons. Finally i called a friend who i knew was also playing the games asked him what to do, and he said "You didn't find the Hammer in the tower"..... "Nope and i just spent the last two days searching the stupid tower....can you come over and show me"... Friend came over and showed me the location (you had to click search to search areas in this game), and there is was in basically plain site.... i was so frustrated (with myself) and the game/tower/random encounters, i ripped the game out of the PS1 and flung it like a Frisbee across the room.... luckily it landed on my bed with no harm, but i was done with it.... sold it the next day to Funcoland.

King Dazzar

The worst I ever do is swear, uninstall it, calm down, then reinstall it, then lose fighting said boss again, uninstall rinse repeat multiple times. My SSD's are durable it would appear.

Hudo

It wasn't so much that I raged over a game but rather that I was part of the cause of another guy raging over a game: We had an Xbox-Link party, where all the boys of the neighborhood brought their Xboxes and linked them together so we could all play Halo. And my team was so good that we basically could afford to fuck around on Blood Gulch and trying to come up with ways to kill the opposite team in the most hilarious ways. In any case, some guy (whom I didn't know) apparently had it and decided to physically attack another team mate of mine, who was right next to me. Another guy joined in so I joined in as well (kinda involuntarily). And we got into a fight. And I shit you not, I used the original Duke controller to successfully beat the crap out of the my attacker.

Good times.

Last edited:

Hunter 99

I have 1for you gaf

1st was MGS2 on ps2 playing on european extreme. To be clear I loved this game as it was my first game I had on ps2.i was like 11-12

Got so pissed off because it was literally if you get seen only once it's game over. No chances! No run and hide somewhere just straight SNAKE,SNAAAKE!!!game over.

Got to the part as raiden when you need to spray the bombs to disarm them,kept getting caught and had enough.FUCK THIS,calmly ejected the disc ,pulled it out then snapped it with one hand.like crushed it to like 5-6 peices. then my hand was bleeding from the disc shatter.

Instant regret as I don't like to give up on a game (never raged again like that for the record)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

mitch1971

I broke a few controllers playing madden and nhl online same with black ops 2 lol, I threw a water bottle that bounced and put a nice dent in the wall and messed the paint up, my dad was pretty pissed.
Was he getting beat in black ops 2 as well?

Aenima

Never broke anything and its very rare for a game to actually upsets me. Im pretty chill playing games even challenging ones.

0neAnd0nly

Off the top of my head:

Riku fight, Kingdom Hearts 1 in Hollow Bastion.

And about 4,000 times in EA football games with their “catch-up” mode BS. Especially when DL would track down my wide open running back, or a LB would close on my WR route even though my receiver was led and broke away from his zone.

As a former athlete / FB player… nothing more annoying than that BS, especially when you play on ALL-Madden like I do/ did (I tend not to buy this BS game much these days).

skeebs

I broke another ps2 controller over the first God of War trying to climb up this spinning column thing with spikes toward the end and failing.

I didn’t break anything and don’t generally rage at games. But this one caused a LOT of rage.

clarky

Gold Member
When my local had Perfect Dark in stock and on display 3 days early but refused to break the street date and sell me a copy, their best customer no less, I flipped. In frustration at the geek behind the counter, I booted their cardboard Perfect Dark display over, at least 50 empty boxes went flying and I stormed out. Needless to say I wasn't back 3 days later.

Years ago, a friend of mine threw his Sega Dreamcast against the wall as hard as he could over Metropolis Street Racer and it broke into pieces. I wasn’t there to see the carnage, but when he told me that gaming night will have to be postponed because his Dreamcast was “not working properly”, I knew something happened.

I don't really rage like that. Sure, things can frustrate the fuck out of me but usually not enough to even turn off the game, much less throw a controller. I've never thrown a controller or anything like that.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Story time. (It might be worth reading.)

Back in high school, I was playing through a relatively obscure rhythm game called Gitaroo Man (though I assume most of you are familiar). Once I beat the game in normal mode, I decided to try out Master mode.

It was dramatically more difficult, and I hit wall after wall, but eventually overcame the first 7 stages after only a week or so of playing.

Then I got to stage 8.

For some reason, it felt like the difficulty spiked up by a factor of 10. I wasn’t even close to beating it. But I remained ever-determined.

Failure after failure, I inched closer and closer to the finish line. But the closer I got, the more my frustration grew. After a solid two weeks of attempts, my rage hit heights I didn’t even know existed.

The first time I blew up, I was only about 70% of the way through the song, but it was still a PB. But my minor achievement did nothing to prevent my controller from being speedily expelled from my grip onto the cold, hard ground below.

That was the first time I broke a controller.

Even more tilted that I just busted my favorite translucent blue PS2 controller, I continued to trek onward. Repeated failures over the next few days resulted in a few more tossed controllers, albeit after breaking one, I showed the slightest amount of restraint in not completely slamming them into the ground.

Perhaps I chipped a bit of internal plastic, adding unintentional maraca to the music of the game, but once I realized I didn’t have $40 for a third controller, I forced myself to just grip tightly after each loss.

My grip continued to tighten as my frustration grew. But I was SO CLOSE to beating this song. There were only maybe 20-30 seconds left.

Then I got on the god run. I breezed past the most difficult section and was in completely uncharted territory. This was THE ONE, I could feel it. I heard this song every night in my dreams at this point, and I knew I could conquer the rest. 30 seconds left. Then 20. I started stumbling, but I remained focused. Only about 10 seconds of gameplay left. I was hanging on for dear life at this point.

The light at the end of the tunnel was staring me squarely in the face, reaching out with open arms. I just… needed… to… make… it…

A frozen moment in time. I had made it, right? There was but one single note to hit. Sure, I had only a sliver of health, but it’s one single note. White-knuckled and sweaty-palmed, my hands simply did not want to obey orders. Struggling but determined, I pressed the button for the final note. The last note.

MISS

…..

YOU LOSE.

I saw white. The blood swiftly exited from my head and delirium struck for a brief moment, followed by pure, unbridled rage. Wrestling with the choice of throwing the controller through my TV, or simply taking a deep breath, I found myself incapable of either option. Instead, I gripped harder. But it wasn’t enough.

My rage had taken over. White turned to red. My hands became numb. While determined to not let my controller escape my grasp, my fury found the only outlet it apparently had available.

And so, with a complete absence of thought or consideration and a vice-like grip, I SLAMMED the controller into MY OWN FOREHEAD, forcing BOTH analog sticks inward into the controller where they then lay broken and lifeless. I had literally broken a PS2 controller on my face.

The next day, I went to school with two dark blue circle-shaped bruises on my forehead that lasted for at least another few days.

About a month later, I finally bought another controller and returned to the game. Of course, I ended up beating the song on like my third try, somewhat unceremoniously. And, to my knowledge, I’ve never thrown a controller since.

tl;dr: I raged in Gitaroo-Man and broke a PS2 controller on my actual face.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Great respect for everyone who loves this game.

But.. I almost threw the controller at the TV when I got to the end of Final Fantasy XII. It was such hard work, and the game was so shitty. When I got the realization, " dude, I spent over a hundred hours of my precious time on this junk.. "

Oh no... Never again

Brigandier

I don't have the energy anymore to rage other than shout fuck off/you these days but when I was younger I was absolutely disgraceful and when I think about it embarrassing....

Smashed up controllers, threw them into walls, Broke a Xbox 360 drive pulling the tray in anger...shouted like a spoilt child and it was always on Xbox live Halo 2 and RS3 online where I just lost it I took it wayyyyyyy too serious.

I think the last game I genuinely lost it on was Bloodborne.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd bang my share of gamepads against the floor or a table during the 80s.

Surprisingly, game makers must take it into account because every controller still worked!

Mhmmm 2077

Dota 2, sometimes I will punch my desk and keyboard. The worst was when I hit the keyboard, some keycaps fell off and in that moment of rage I managed to grab the spacebar and snap it in half... do I regret doing it? Eh, it was stupid, but now I have 2 space bars.

Sonic 3 and the barrel of doom aka the stupidest moment in gaming ever in one of the best game ever! I rage hours before figuring out how to pass it. It was the very 1st time I did not understand what to do with Sonic... because it has nothing to do with Sonic. This mechanism alone is worse than any bad levels in past games (yeah Labyrinth Zone, we are all looking at you, I had more "fun" with this zone than this). I mostly break my genesis controller.

I totally understand why some people quit Sonic 3 with rage at this very point.

347726_v1.gif

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not raging, but a friend and I once played Blades of Steel in the arcade with our cups of soda sitting on the cabinet near the trackballs.
Those suckers went flying in the heat of the match, and drenched the two cabinets next to us.

Humdinger

No, I just stop playing a game, if it's that frustrating. Life is hard enough without intentionally inflicting suffering on yourself for no good reason.

That one part in Ocarina of Time where you have to get across the curved narrow bridge within a strict time limit to make progress, and if you fell off the ledge you had to go through the trouble of getting all the way back up there just to try again.
I had to quit playing for the rest of the day because of that

Hestar69

last time was dark souls 1 gargoyles.. Slammed my 360 controller on the ground so hard it smashed.It was the limited walmart one too and I said ok fuck this never breaking anything again and haven't since

brian0057

Banned
Never.
If I'm frustrated (or even angry) because of a videogame, I just stop playing, go do something else to cool off, and come back to it at a later date.
I have enough things going on in my life to be breaking stuff because a game pissed me off.

Most recently, probably Doom: Eternal: The Ancient Gods part 1/2.

The base campaign on Ultra-Violence feels fair and fun to play; the same difficulty setting in The Ancient Gods turns the game into a high-stress simulator. All punishment.

The only thing that broke was my ego.

Last edited:
Top Bottom