• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's some of the most offensive ads (magazines or commercials) from the 90s/early 00s?

DryvBy

***EDIT****
What this thread is about is more of what would be considered offensive today, not back in these days.

I found this and it inspired the thread. This wasn't offensive at the time, but given our current timeline it's now crazy to think this was an ad.

D4gQCh9.jpeg

Last edited:

schaft0620

The 90s were about hyper-sexualization and being an edge-lord. When it comes to games some of the more risky stuff was like, "Sega Does What Nintendont" and like Boogerman. Although I think there were some Nintendo ads that were like stuff they would never do today.

Valonquar

There was a PS1 ad in a magazine at one point that was just a photo of a PS1 and it said "He can't leave you if he never leaves the house." Can't seem to find it anywhere online now tho.

SaintALia

sony-724850.jpg

My favorite lol
This was offensive at the time. Sony had to take it down and publicly apologise.

"Whilst the images used in the campaign were intended solely to highlight the contrast between the different colors available for the PSP, we recognize that the subject matter of one specific image may have caused concern in some countries not directly affected by the advertising," the company said in a statement. "As a result, we have now withdrawn the campaign."

Was just supposed to run in the EU I think. But this was a pretty dumb gaffe from a marketing perspective across the board I'd think.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This was offensive at the time. Sony had to take it down and publicly apologise.

"Whilst the images used in the campaign were intended solely to highlight the contrast between the different colors available for the PSP, we recognize that the subject matter of one specific image may have caused concern in some countries not directly affected by the advertising," the company said in a statement. "As a result, we have now withdrawn the campaign."

Was just supposed to run in the EU I think. But this was a pretty dumb gaffe from a marketing perspective across the board I'd think.
Weren’t there a bunch of these “black vs white” ads featuring these two in conflict? This one got singled out as being racist though.

Holammer

All the PSP Squirrels ads are famously weird and nobody would try it again in current year.

I dunno if it's offensive, but there was an ad in Edge magazine where they had a picture of a plucked cartoon dodo with a bunch of real feathers between the pages and the text "don't be a dodo" or something, I don't even remember what it was for (I'm sure Guru Larry would remember).
It was incredibly silly and I think they apologized for publishing the ad.

Top Bottom