• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your "wow" moment or what caught you by surprise from the PlayStation showcase?

Andodalf

Banned
It will only be on PS5 and maybe PC when it launches. Likely, another one year exclusive, but who knows? FF7 Remake was assumed to be a one year exclusive and it's been well over a year and no word of any port.
Because Sony paid to extend it for inter grade.

Paying to extend times exclusivity is a Sony classic, they did the same all the way back with DLC for the first Destiny.

NahaNago

It would have to be wolverine. I had already seen footage of project eve, so even though I liked the gameplay trailer it was more just the icing on top.

I will say that I was shocked at how long the project eve trailer was considering how censor happy Sony is.

Last edited:

FStubbs

It will only be on PS5 and maybe PC when it launches. Likely, another one year exclusive, but who knows? FF7 Remake was assumed to be a one year exclusive and it's been well over a year and no word of any port.
Re FF7, my guess is Sony pays a small yearly fee and it stays exclusive. Square-Enix probably made them the same offer for FF16.

Last edited:

MScarpa

The point is you have hardware that will last 6-7+ years and beyond. Quality of life improvements over 2013 hardware.

The shift to PS5 only games I believe will start to happen by 2023. In the meantime I don't mind getting those graphical enhancements to some titles and 60fps target updates.

I don't expect the PS4 Pro being able to handle Spider-Man 2 with any form of high framerate or anything close to the updates Insomniac gave between the first game and Miles Morales for example.
That's over 3 years from launch. That is so ridiculous to me. Why buy now?

Maximusz

sweet wolverine GIF

Hugh Jackman Movie GIF

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That's over 3 years from launch. That is so ridiculous to me. Why buy now?
Because they'll still have PS5 games that aren't crossgen during the meantime like Forspoken and to play these games at the highest fidelity

Last edited:

RCU005

GOW Ragnarok has been in development for what 4 year's.... Damn shame its not 100% PS5

I haven't read or heard anything about Ragnarok development time, but if the game has been in development for 4 years, then it's obvious that it's a cross-gen title. The same thing happened to Horizon Forbidden West. In fact, Guerrilla was planning to release Forbidden West before the PS5 launch.

IMO, its better that they are cross gen because there is no way those two would look much better considering they started development before Sony had locked the PS5 specs. I believe Sony prefers people to say: "GOW is being held back by PS4" than "This game looks like a PS4 game".

It's disappointing as both Horizon and GOW have mechanics that would work perfectly with the SDD and other PS5 features, but sadly the timing was not right. Also, both of those games were obviously going to be 2021, then I have the belief that the PS5 should've been released in 2021 not 2020. Microsoft (and maybe in some way Switch success) might have make Sony change plans. Probably Sony wasn't expecting Microsoft to show the Series X so soon (that time in Game Awards).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nothing wowed me, but the best looking game IMO was Forspoken. Looked like a crazy open world action game with huge special effects and attacks.

MadPanda

Banned
GTA V shameless marketing and nonexistent upgrades and KOTOR being timed exclusive to PS. I just couldn't believe Microsoft let them get KOTOR as an exclusive.

iHaunter

Never played KOTOR, so very very excited. As everyone I know that has played it, held it in a high regard - I tried to, just too old.

"I think one of the most important reasons is the first game took five years. The second game, I don't know how long it's going to take but I'm just going to throw out that it's going to take a close to a similar time," said Barlog.

LMAO. 5 years? So until 2023? But wasn't this game supposed to come out this year???? hahahahhahahah Sony lied to us like I said.

MiguelItUp

Wolverine honestly, as it felt like a totally surprise. I'd say KOTOR, but we've heard so many rumors about it for awhile. It was still cool to see, but it was more of a "Welp, there it is." rather than a "OH MY GOD, WTF?!"

Kagero

The show could have been excellent if it was paced better.
Open with GOW followed by KOTOR. Show a bunch of garbage games in the middle. End with Spiderman and and then drop the bomb that was Wolverine.

Probably 25 minutes in I was like ‘wow we waited months for this mediocre showcase’ and then Sony dropped some bombs which some what made the whole thing ‘okay‘

there’s still plenty of stuff they’re holding back which I hope they’d announce, everything apart from wolverine and KOTR we expected.

Last edited:
The show could have been excellent if it was paced better.
Open with GOW followed by KOTOR. Show a bunch of garbage games in the middle. End with Spiderman and and then drop the bomb that was Wolverine.
They put all their PS Studios games in their own segment, which was a neat idea, but I agree they should have started that segment with the GOWR gameplay, then GT7, then Spider-man 2 (which would make people think it's a wrap), and lastly Wolverine as the surprise/bomb.

Last edited:
It stated as clear as can be PS5 exclusive.

Wolverine was the biggest wow moment. Hearing KOTR is a PS5 console launch exclusive was also surprising.
Not only it's confirmed as PS5 exclusive, the trailer also states it was *running* meaning in-engine, on PS5. That was freaking real-time graphics and not a CGI pre-rendered movie!

Top Bottom