• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Think It's Time For A Showcase Consolidation

Should Sony, Microsoft, & Nintendo consolidate their big Summer showcases into Summer Games Fest?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So the PlayStation Showcase was yesterday. While they had some strong standout games like Spiderman 2, Phantom Blade 0, Alan Wake 2, AssCreed Mirage, Dragon's Dogma 2 and (IMO) Helldivers 2, there simply wasn't enough present in terms of big AAA reveals to warrant a Showcase. Not to say smaller games like Foamstars or the Journey-like game don't look fun, but they aren't the kind of games that can sustain a PlayStation Showcase, or an Xbox Showcase, for that matter.

What was particularly surprising to me about the PlayStation Showcase is that, aside from not a single non-live service/GaaS 1P AAA game reveal, it was really light on big 3P reveals, too. Again, we got Dragon's Dogma 2, Alan Wake 2 and AssCreed Mirage but in terms of new 3P AAA that was about it. FF XVI we've seen multiple times, same with SF6, and both of those are coming in little under a month. No MK12 gameplay reveal. No Tekken 8 (or new character reveals). No Persona 6. No Castlevania (does this even exist?). No GTA6. No COD. Those and a lot more were missing.

I'm suspecting Geoff made some pulls to get them in his showcase event, SGF, and even Sony will be throwing a few bones over there. But if that all comes at the expense of the PlayStation Showcase itself, and there being a good chance the Xbox Showcase could end up similarly mid for some of the same reasons...is this finally a good reason to argue that maybe some of these showcases need to be consolidated into a single big event? What is stopping Geoff Keighly from making Summer Games Fest a proper digital E3 in everything but name? Can't he court Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to do their own mixed live/pre-recorded digital conferences hosted under the SGF brand?

At least that way, platform holders like Sony & Microsoft don't have to "give up" 3P reveals just so Geoff's show can have some noteworthy stuff. Because if the shows are combined into a single event, then it won't matter what big 3P reveals Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo get; they would all be part of Summer Games Fest by default! Geoff could also still do transition pieces between the scheduled conference streams, and this is where the conferences being a mix of live and pre-recorded stuff makes sense. It would REALLY help bring back some of the competitive energy past E3s allowed, and also give Geoff opportunities to do interviews with certain people showing off their platforms and games in real-time (the questions would be scripted though, obviously).

Honestly, I just think these individual platform Showcases have progressively gotten worst since E3 died and since everyone started pulling out. Everything feels segmented & isolated now, and with stuff like the recent PS Showcase there's a clear indication that they can't get a lot of the big 3P content in there they'd otherwise have gotten for an E3 conference, because they're in a sense both cooperating with and competing with Geoff's Summer Games Fest, which needs a lot of that content itself to not be a waste of time. This would all be resolved if Sony & Microsoft (and Nintendo; the Directs are neat but their best E3 shows destroy them) made an arrangement with Geoff to just have their showcase conferences as an integrated part of the SGF show. Then Geoff wouldn't have to worry about getting 3P content; Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo would be doing that by default and SGF would naturally benefit since it's all a part of that show.

We even see a smaller-scale version of this with the TGAs, so it befuddles me that it hasn't been done with the summer showcase events and SGF. But, what do you all think? Do we need a "showcase consolidation" in order to help improve the quality of these events, bring back some lost hype from the E3 peak era, and foster some more friendly competition and 'mic drop' moments? Or are you cool with everyone just trying to do their own thing in their own little bubble?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Interfectum

Would be cool to go back to an E3 style show but that's never going to happen. There is zero incentive for the big three to play together nicely.

gothmog

Gold Member
They're too long as it is so no. Come up with better ways to engage that are more in line with modern attention spans.

They're too long as it is so no. Come up with better ways to engage that are more in line with modern attention spans.

So you're asking for Tiktok events? Imagine all the teens stupid enough to turn a showcase into a challenge that could lead to injury or death!

You mean .... E3 ?

Basically, but better. I.e digital-only but with live stream segments, maybe some Zoom rooms with fans virtually attending or do that through a hosted Twitter Space.

I really just want something where the Big 3 are together again and the gaming community can at least kind of be united instead of staying in platform-specific bubbles all the time that helps create more of the toxicity we've been seeing from crazies online.

Top Bottom